Simple MSys-Installer

Jens Theeß
Hi folks,

I built a simple MSys-installer for my friends and colleagues. It
installs MSys 1.0.11 (from end of Nov 2008), Console2 and a
context-menu entry for directories that opens a bash using console2.
The goal of this installer is to be simple rather than exhaustive, so
I won't turn it into a cygwin-like installer. It's in the works-for-me
stage now, but if there's interest in this, I'm willing to work on
this further. I've put it on my webpage for now:
http://www.theess.de/assets/files/MSysPack_1.0.0_Setup.exe

Opinions welcome :)

Greetings,
Jens

Re: Simple MSys-Installer

Keith Marshall
On Sunday 01 February 2009 19:43:08 Jens Theeß wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I built a simple MSys-installer for my friends and colleagues. It
> installs MSys 1.0.11 (from end of Nov 2008), Console2 and a
> context-menu entry for directories that opens a bash using
> console2. The goal of this installer is to be simple rather than
> exhaustive, so I won't turn it into a cygwin-like installer. It's
> in the works-for-me stage now, but if there's interest in this, I'm
> willing to work on this further. I've put it on my webpage for now:
> http://www.theess.de/assets/files/MSysPack_1.0.0_Setup.exe
>
> Opinions welcome :)

Yes, I'd like to discuss it privately with you and Earnie, but I do
have several more general comments to offer:

1) By making your default installation path a subdirectory of the
notorious `Program Files', you are storing up a wealth of grief for
any who blindly accept your recommendation.  We *strenuously* advise
against installing into *any* path with spaces in the name, because
we *know* from bitter experience, that it ultimately leads to grief.

2) While I use, and would recommend Console2 myself, we at MinGW.org
*will* *not* distribute it, because it cannot be built with MinGW or
MSYS; it requires MSVC *and* the PSDK, and it distributes with
components which are, AFAICT, illegitimate under the terms of the
MS-EULA, and in violation of the GPL, (under which Console2 itself
professes to be distributed).

3) Your package set is primarily MSYS-1.0.10, with just a minimal
subset of MSYS-1.0.11 added on top.  In particular, most of what you
pull in from msysDTK-1.0.1 is obsolete; the update packages are all
available in our SF repository, but you seem to ignore them.

4) When I run your installer, I see a consistently reproducible error
when extracting the final MSYS tarball, (after texinfo and before the
Console2 package); the path name spills so far beyond the right hand
extent of the window that I can't see what it is, but nothing is
extracted from it!  However, the installer ultimately reports
successful completion!

5) Our own plans for MSYS distribution actually abandon this "kitchen
sink" style, "all-or-nothing" bundled mega-package.  We favour a more
selective installation approach, with both MinGW and MSYS offered
through a "synaptic-like" installer, which will automatically
download and install only those components which the end user really
wants, (or needs to satisfy a dependency of a component he wants).
This is currently under development -- perhaps John E. would like to
offer a brief progress report?