Semi-OT: Recommendations for student editors / IDE's

12

Re: Semi-OT: Recommendations for student editors / IDE's

Peter Rockett

On 09/11/10 04:02, Thomas Sharpless wrote:
Hi Peter

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Peter Rockett <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've heard good things about qt-creator but be aware it's not open
source.  Maybe not an issue for teaching your daughter C++ but Nokia's
licensing terms are quite complex.

True, the source of Creator is not open.  Or at least I haven't seen it.  But all of Qt's library source is open, and if you like you can build customized versions.

Nokia's terms have -- amazingly -- been getting less restrictive and simpler with each release of Qt.  It is now fully GPLv3 licensed.  There is still a "commercial" license required for people who will sell s/w built on the Qt libraries.  Maybe you still have to buy that license to get full integration with MSVC, but I believe they are now distributing libraries built with MSVC for free, and supporting NMake and WinSDK in an open source edition.  So you can take advantage of MS's very good optimization for Windows on i86 machines if you want to (actually you always could if you set up the build environment right and built the libs yourself).

Cheers, Tom

Tom

Thanks for this. My information was clearly out of date. Once upon a time, I am sure any commercial use of Qt required you to buy a licence. Maybe since Nokia took over TrollTech things have been more open?

P.

Re: Semi-OT: Recommendations for student editors / IDE's

K. Frank
Hello All -

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 5:31 AM, Peter Rockett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/11/10 04:02, Thomas Sharpless wrote:

Thanks to everyone for their various suggestions.

I think we'll kick around notepad++ for a while, and see how
it goes.

I appreciate all the advice offered.

K. Frank

Re: Semi-OT: Recommendations for student editors / IDE's

Erwin Waterlander
  K. Frank schreef, Op 9-11-2010 17:56:
> Thanks to everyone for their various suggestions.
> I think we'll kick around notepad++ for a while, and see how
> it goes.
>
> I appreciate all the advice offered.
>

> K. Frank

Perhaps Dev-C++ is interesting. I think it is not maintained any more,
but still usable for simple stuff.
One simple installer that installs IDE and MinGW (gcc 3.4.2).
http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

--
Erwin

Re: Semi-OT: Recommendations for student editors / IDE's

Volker Grabsch
Hi Peter, Thomas,

sorry for the nitpicking, but your claims about Qt and Qt Creator are
incorrect, and your conclusions are thus almost completely wrong.

Thomas Sharpless <[hidden email]> schrieb:
> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Peter Rockett <[hidden email]>wrote:
> >
> > I've heard good things about qt-creator but be aware it's not open
> > source.  Maybe not an issue for teaching your daughter C++ but Nokia's
> > licensing terms are quite complex.

This is both false. Qt Creator is Free Software and is fully available
under a plain standard Free Software license, namely the LGPL v2.

FWIW, I also strongly recommend the Qt Creator IDE, as well as the
Qt Library for GUI applications. It is really easy to use well designed
in almost every aspect: Multithreading API, GUI API, build system, etc.

> True, the source of Creator is not open.  Or at least I haven't seen it.
> But all of Qt's library source is open, and if you like you can build
> customized versions.

It took me 10 seconds to find the sources of Qt Creator on the official
Qt homepage:

    http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/qt-creator-source-package

Their latest development version is even available in an official Git
repository (which took a few more clicks to find out):

    http://qt.gitorious.org/qt-creator

> Nokia's terms have -- amazingly -- been getting less restrictive and simpler
> with each release of Qt.  It is now fully GPLv3 licensed.

Nope, Qt itself is also LGPL v2. You can read this in really big letters
on their download site:

    http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/downloads

The latest development version is also available in an official Git repo:

    http://qt.gitorious.org/qt

To clarify, you can use Qt under either LGPLv2 or GPLv3 or the "commercial"
license. This is explained quite clearly on the Qt licensing page:

    http://qt.nokia.com/products/licensing

> There is still a "commercial" license required for people who will sell
> s/w built on the Qt libraries.

The "commercial" license is _not_ needed if you merely _use_ Qt in a
proprietary software project. The LGPL allows for that - no problem!

You only need the "commercial" license if you want to make changes
to the Qt library itself and don't want to share those changes.

> Maybe you still have to buy that license to get full integration with MSVC,

No, you don't. There is no separate "commercial" version of the library.
There is just one version, of Qt as well as Qt Creator.

> but I believe they are now distributing libraries built with MSVC
> for free, and supporting NMake and WinSDK in an open source edition.

You can even cross compile your application using Qt. That is, you
don't even need to touch a Windows or any Microsoft SDK to create
a Windows version of your software.

Greets,
Volker

--
Volker Grabsch
---<<(())>>---

Peter Rockett <[hidden email]> schrieb:
> Thanks for this. My information was clearly out of date. Once upon a
> time, I am sure any commercial use of Qt required you to buy a licence.

Qt is even more liberal than stated here. See my other email for
explainations.

> Maybe since Nokia took over TrollTech things have been more open?

TrollTech opened their licensing a lot over time, making everything
available under GPL, even the Windows and Mac OS X versions. Only the
latest step, offering LGPL in addition to GPL, happened at Nokia.

Greets,
Volker

--
Volker Grabsch