Semi-OT: Recommendations for student editors / IDE's

12

Semi-OT: Recommendations for student editors / IDE's

K. Frank
Hello All -

I'm teaching my daughter C++ (first "real" programming language),
and I am interested is suggestions for text editors and/or IDE's
that would be appropriate in this context.

We are using windows and mingw.  I don't much care for visual
studio -- especially for learning the basics, what with all of its bells
and whistles and smoke and mirrors.

Right now we are using notepad (which hammers home the message
that the program source files are just plain-vanilla text files), but it
seems an unnecessary burden to stick with notepad for the long haul.

Myself, I use emacs, but emacs is an acquired taste, and it seems
a bit sadistic to be inflicting it on the younger generation.  Emacs is
also getting a little long in the tooth these days.  (Yes, yes, you don't
need to say it, I am too...)

So, what would you recommend as a text editor / IDE for someone
learning C++?

(I'm thinking of teaching my daughter the ropes of a basic IDE,
making her use it for a couple of days, and then giving her the
choice of using it or notepad or both.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

K. Frank

Re: Semi-OT: Recommendations for student editors / IDE's

Matt P. Dziubinski
On 11/8/2010 3:04 PM, K. Frank wrote:

> Hello All -
>
> I'm teaching my daughter C++ (first "real" programming language),
> and I am interested is suggestions for text editors and/or IDE's
> that would be appropriate in this context.
>
> We are using windows and mingw.  I don't much care for visual
> studio -- especially for learning the basics, what with all of its bells
> and whistles and smoke and mirrors.
>
> Right now we are using notepad (which hammers home the message
> that the program source files are just plain-vanilla text files), but it
> seems an unnecessary burden to stick with notepad for the long haul.

What I can suggest immediately is to replace Notepad with Notepad2:
http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html

It's characterized by a very small memory footprint (load end exits
pretty much immediately, you can configure ESC to work as an exit key so
that when you invoke it from a file manager you have a complete workspace).

Syntax highlighting really comes in handy :) I used it with success in a
C++ study group.

You can also bind compilation and execution to CMD scripts (Windows
batch files) for compilation (and/or "make" invocation) and execution to
ALT+L ("L" as in "Launch") to speed up the dev. process.

As for the IDE, MSVC is pretty good, but if you want alternatives I
think those are worth consideration:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CodeLite
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code::Blocks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WxDev-C%2B%2B
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_Creator

First two are general, last two handy when working with wxWidgets or Qt,
respectively; other that that choice is really a matter of taste (look
which screenshot appeals the most to you ;]) and needs (whether you want
built-in debugging, profiling frontend), see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_integrated_development_environments#C.2FC.2B.2B

Hope that helps,

Best,

Matt

Re: Semi-OT: Recommendations for student editors / IDE's

Peter Rockett
On 08/11/10 14:04, K. Frank wrote:
> Hello All -
>
> I'm teaching my daughter C++ (first "real" programming language),
> and I am interested is suggestions for text editors and/or IDE's
> that would be appropriate in this context.
Depending on the age of your daughter, I was thinking a referral to the
local child protection agency/social services department may be more
appropriate!

> We are using windows and mingw.  I don't much care for visual
> studio -- especially for learning the basics, what with all of its bells
> and whistles and smoke and mirrors.
>
> Right now we are using notepad (which hammers home the message
> that the program source files are just plain-vanilla text files), but it
> seems an unnecessary burden to stick with notepad for the long haul.
>
> Myself, I use emacs, but emacs is an acquired taste, and it seems
> a bit sadistic to be inflicting it on the younger generation.  Emacs is
> also getting a little long in the tooth these days.  (Yes, yes, you don't
> need to say it, I am too...)
>
> So, what would you recommend as a text editor / IDE for someone
> learning C++?
>
> (I'm thinking of teaching my daughter the ropes of a basic IDE,
> making her use it for a couple of days, and then giving her the
> choice of using it or notepad or both.)

I suspect you will find that most IDEs do pretty much the same stuff. As
with most things, there is convergence. (i.e. if somebody has good idea,
other people copy it.) So take your pick: CodeBlocks and CodeLite seem
good. But there are others. One IDE I would suggest you avoid is Eclipse
- last time I looked at it , it was painfully slow. (But it may have
improved in the meantime.)

P.

Re: Semi-OT: Recommendations for student editors / IDE's

K. Frank
Hi Peter -

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Peter Rockett
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 08/11/10 14:04, K. Frank wrote:
>> Hello All -
>>
>> I'm teaching my daughter C++ (first "real" programming language),
>> and I am interested is suggestions for text editors and/or IDE's
>> that would be appropriate in this context.
> Depending on the age of your daughter, I was thinking a referral to the
> local child protection agency/social services department may be more
> appropriate!

Oh, no, that wouldn't make sense.  In my county, competent knowledge
of C++ is not required for the social-service certification.  They would
just teach her all sorts of bad habits and anti-idioms.

But thanks for the suggestion.

K. Frank

> P.

Re: Semi-OT: Recommendations for student editors / IDE's

Montgomery, John T.
I have been using Textpad for yonks, and find it really excellent.  Do you remember Compuserv and TAPCIS - that's when I was pointed at it ;-)

It's Windows, but you can call BAT files,  assign key-presses to macros or tools, capture results, use regular expressions, block selection, etc.  It has code snippets facility too, and can save in a variety formats - e.g.Unix line-endings - useful in everyday work context.  It's not as (human-)memory intensive as the emacs key codes department.
Check it out, see what you think.
http://www.textpad.com/

(I'm not affiliate with Textpad in any way.)
John Montgomery,  Aberdeen, Scotland, UK.

Re: Semi-OT: Recommendations for student editors / IDE's

Itamar Reis Peixoto
On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 12:04 PM, K. Frank <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello All -
>
> I'm teaching my daughter C++ (first "real" programming language),
> and I am interested is suggestions for text editors and/or IDE's
> that would be appropriate in this context.
>
> We are using windows and mingw.  I don't much care for visual
> studio -- especially for learning the basics, what with all of its bells
> and whistles and smoke and mirrors.
>
> Right now we are using notepad (which hammers home the message
> that the program source files are just plain-vanilla text files), but it
> seems an unnecessary burden to stick with notepad for the long haul.
>
> Myself, I use emacs, but emacs is an acquired taste, and it seems
> a bit sadistic to be inflicting it on the younger generation.  Emacs is
> also getting a little long in the tooth these days.  (Yes, yes, you don't
> need to say it, I am too...)
>
> So, what would you recommend as a text editor / IDE for someone
> learning C++?
>
> (I'm thinking of teaching my daughter the ropes of a basic IDE,
> making her use it for a couple of days, and then giving her the
> choice of using it or notepad or both.)
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>

> K. Frank

qt-creator is a good choice.

you can write programs for linux, windows and nokia cellphones.

--
------------

Itamar Reis Peixoto
msn, google talk: [hidden email]
+55 11 4063 5033 (FIXO SP)
+55 34 9158 9329 (TIM)
+55 34 8806 3989 (OI)
+55 34 3221 8599 (FIXO MG)

On 08/11/10 16:45, Itamar Reis Peixoto wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 12:04 PM, K. Frank<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hello All -
>>
>> I'm teaching my daughter C++ (first "real" programming language),
>> and I am interested is suggestions for text editors and/or IDE's
>> that would be appropriate in this context.
>>
>> We are using windows and mingw.  I don't much care for visual
>> studio -- especially for learning the basics, what with all of its bells
>> and whistles and smoke and mirrors.
>>
>> Right now we are using notepad (which hammers home the message
>> that the program source files are just plain-vanilla text files), but it
>> seems an unnecessary burden to stick with notepad for the long haul.
>>
>> Myself, I use emacs, but emacs is an acquired taste, and it seems
>> a bit sadistic to be inflicting it on the younger generation.  Emacs is
>> also getting a little long in the tooth these days.  (Yes, yes, you don't
>> need to say it, I am too...)
>>
>> So, what would you recommend as a text editor / IDE for someone
>> learning C++?
>>
>> (I'm thinking of teaching my daughter the ropes of a basic IDE,
>> making her use it for a couple of days, and then giving her the
>> choice of using it or notepad or both.)
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions.
>>

>> K. Frank
>
> qt-creator is a good choice.
>
> you can write programs for linux, windows and nokia cellphones.

I've heard good things about qt-creator but be aware it's not open
source.  Maybe not an issue for teaching your daughter C++ but Nokia's
licensing terms are quite complex.

P.

Re: Semi-OT: Recommendations for student editors / IDE's

Saeteurn San
If you're using MinGW you can use Eclipse IDE.  Eclipse works on Mac, Windows, Linux, and Android.

Thankies ^^
-San Saeteurn
________________________________
San Saeteurn
Software Engineer, Switching and Routing Solutions Engineering
Grass Valley, Inc.
Tel: (1) 530 478 3571
Fax: (1) 530 478 4020
Cell: (1) 530 370 7294
E-mail: [hidden email]
Mail:
Grass Valley
400 Providence Mine Road
Nevada City, CA, 95959
USA

On 08/11/10 16:45, Itamar Reis Peixoto wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 12:04 PM, K. Frank<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hello All -
>>
>> I'm teaching my daughter C++ (first "real" programming language),
>> and I am interested is suggestions for text editors and/or IDE's
>> that would be appropriate in this context.
>>
>> We are using windows and mingw.  I don't much care for visual
>> studio -- especially for learning the basics, what with all of its bells
>> and whistles and smoke and mirrors.
>>
>> Right now we are using notepad (which hammers home the message
>> that the program source files are just plain-vanilla text files), but it
>> seems an unnecessary burden to stick with notepad for the long haul.
>>
>> Myself, I use emacs, but emacs is an acquired taste, and it seems
>> a bit sadistic to be inflicting it on the younger generation.  Emacs is
>> also getting a little long in the tooth these days.  (Yes, yes, you don't
>> need to say it, I am too...)
>>
>> So, what would you recommend as a text editor / IDE for someone
>> learning C++?
>>
>> (I'm thinking of teaching my daughter the ropes of a basic IDE,
>> making her use it for a couple of days, and then giving her the
>> choice of using it or notepad or both.)
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions.
>>

>> K. Frank
>
> qt-creator is a good choice.
>
> you can write programs for linux, windows and nokia cellphones.

I've heard good things about qt-creator but be aware it's not open
source.  Maybe not an issue for teaching your daughter C++ but Nokia's
licensing terms are quite complex.

P.

Re: Semi-OT: Recommendations for student editors / IDE's

Itamar Reis Peixoto
>> qt-creator is a good choice.
>>
>> you can write programs for linux, windows and nokia cellphones.
>
> I've heard good things about qt-creator but be aware it's not open
> source.  Maybe not an issue for teaching your daughter C++ but Nokia's
> licensing terms are quite complex.

qt-creator is opensource LGPL license.

and off corse you can use mingw to compile your c++ project's written
in qt-creator to windows plataform.

------------

Itamar Reis Peixoto
msn, google talk: [hidden email]
+55 11 4063 5033 (FIXO SP)
+55 34 9158 9329 (TIM)
+55 34 8806 3989 (OI)
+55 34 3221 8599 (FIXO MG)

Re: Semi-OT: Recommendations for student editors / IDE's

Alexander Shaduri

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 17:08:30 +0000
Peter Rockett wrote:

> I've heard good things about qt-creator but be aware it's not open
> source.  Maybe not an issue for teaching your daughter C++ but Nokia's
> licensing terms are quite complex.

Qt Creator is definitely open source (LGPL 2.1 + exception, which
makes it even less restrictive) :
http://qt.gitorious.org/qt-creator/qt-creator/trees/master

Re: Semi-OT: Recommendations for student editors / IDE's

K. Frank
Hello Everyone -

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions so far.  I've been
looking into them, and, among other things, I've searched
for notepdad2.  One of the hits I got was for notepad++.

Would anybody have a recommendation for or against
notepad++?

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Itamar Reis Peixoto
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> qt-creator is a good choice.

Thanks.

K. Frank

Re: Semi-OT: Recommendations for student editors / IDE's

darrell dupas
On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 15:16 -0200, Itamar Reis Peixoto wrote:

> >> qt-creator is a good choice.
> >>
> >> you can write programs for linux, windows and nokia cellphones.
> >
> > I've heard good things about qt-creator but be aware it's not open
> > source.  Maybe not an issue for teaching your daughter C++ but Nokia's
> > licensing terms are quite complex.
>
> qt-creator is opensource LGPL license.
>
> and off corse you can use mingw to compile your c++ project's written
> in qt-creator to windows plataform.

i like scite http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html

also there is anjuta http://projects.gnome.org/anjuta/

i have mixed feelings about qt-creator, designer keeps crashing on
ubuntu 10.10, only the latest versions have a class view, they may work
better on windows than linux though, i dont know

there is nothing wrong with programming as a child, i did it but never
became a good programmer - but i still try

Re: Semi-OT: Recommendations for student editors / IDE's

Charles Wilson-2
On 11/8/2010 12:14 PM, Saeteurn San wrote:
> If you're using MinGW you can use Eclipse IDE.  Eclipse works on Mac, Windows, Linux, and Android.

See also wascana: it's a prepackaged download that includes eclipse,
mingw, and all the goodies, all configured for out-of-the-box use.
Unfortunately, due to the shambles that mingw.org distribution was in
for so long, until we released mingw-get, the wascana developer switched
to the tdm distribution of gcc. (But that's ok, really).

http://code.google.com/a/eclipselabs.org/p/wascana/

Elsewhere in this thread, folks discussed Notepad++ as a standalone
editor.  I use it at home; it's pretty good.

--
Chuck

Re: Semi-OT: Recommendations for student editors / IDE's

KHMan
On 11/9/2010 2:24 AM, K. Frank wrote:
> Hello Everyone -
>
> Thanks to everyone for their suggestions so far.  I've been
> looking into them, and, among other things, I've searched
> for notepdad2.  One of the hits I got was for notepad++.
>
> Would anybody have a recommendation for or against
> notepad++?

notepad++ has a solid pace of development and maintenance. Darrell
mentioned SciTE -- note that it uses text files for configuration
and is not for people expecting GUI configuration -- but I am one
of many who swear by it.

notepad++, notepad2 and SciTE all uses the same edit control,
Scintilla, so you'd get nearly an equivalent quality of syntax
highlighting. There are tons of editors and IDEs using Scintilla
to choose from.

An IDE can be very powerful, but it also helps to have a good
editor e.g. it's useful when one always keep half a dozen editor
windows open.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)

Re: Semi-OT: Recommendations for student editors / IDE's

Chris Wilson-4
Hi K,

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010, K. Frank wrote:

> I'm teaching my daughter C++ (first "real" programming language),

Seriously, I wouldn't recommend anyone to learn C or C++ any more,
especially not as their first "real" programming language. They might be
"close to the machine", but using them is an exercise in pain and
frustration (I speak as an experienced C/C++ developer).

I would strongly recommend Python/Django or Ruby/Rails as ways to learn
how enjoyable programing can be. They are also "real" programming
languages, but they are fun instead of frustrating. (And yes, I know that
they have nothing to do with MinGW, sorry all!).

Cheers, Chris.
--
_ ___ __     _
  / __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <0000 at qwirx.com> - Cambs UK |

Re: Semi-OT: Recommendations for student editors / IDE's

Ehsan Azarnasab
If it is for learning purposes, I would start with visual basic or C#
rather than C++. I would start with a simple graphical interactive
program.
Aside form that, I have very good experience with Eclipse. I think the
little extra help you get hovering the mouse over an identifier and
having the capability to navigate the code-base in a random-access
fashion is very helpful

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Chris Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi K,
>
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2010, K. Frank wrote:
>
>> I'm teaching my daughter C++ (first "real" programming language),
>
> Seriously, I wouldn't recommend anyone to learn C or C++ any more,
> especially not as their first "real" programming language. They might be
> "close to the machine", but using them is an exercise in pain and
> frustration (I speak as an experienced C/C++ developer).
>
> I would strongly recommend Python/Django or Ruby/Rails as ways to learn
> how enjoyable programing can be. They are also "real" programming
> languages, but they are fun instead of frustrating. (And yes, I know that
> they have nothing to do with MinGW, sorry all!).
>
> Cheers, Chris.
> --
> _ ___ __     _
>  / __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <0000 at qwirx.com> - Cambs UK |
> / (_/ ,\/ _/ /_ \ | Security/C/C++/Java/Perl/SQL/HTML Developer |
> \ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU-free your mind-and your software |

Re: Semi-OT: Recommendations for student editors / IDE's

Thomas Sharpless
Hi Frank

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 9:04 AM, K. Frank <[hidden email]> wrote:

So, what would you recommend as a text editor / IDE for someone
learning C++?

Qt Creator.  Part of the best cross-platform C++ programming framework there is.  Easy to learn, hard to outgrow.

The free open source version uses MingW build tools on Windows, should work with your existing MingW installation.  Works identically on Linux and Unix, and almost so on OSX, using gnu tools.

Qt has classes that emulate all of C++ std lib and lots of Boost.  And of course provides a comprehensive GUI toolkit, including a visual forms designer, now integrated with Creator.  And a healthy dose of SmallTalk/ObjecTime/RationalRose: variant data type; persistent objects; signals & slots -- those depend on a metacompiler because they go beyond C++, but I believe that is the way forward. The Qt source is a pretty good model of how to write C++ too; idiomatic and modern, but not too arcane.

Qt Creator itself is a rather simple IDE, but does everything an IDE should do (though not in Visual C's or EMACS's league when it comes to symbol and class browsing).  The integrated help system is really helpful, like Visual Basic's used to be before they ruined it.  The Qmake makefile generator is also a model of simplicity -- even simpler than CMake, light-years away from the convoluted obscurities of the gnu automake system.  Qmake only caters for building within the Qt framework, not for general projects; but you can use Qt Creator with Makefiles from other sources.

Once you try Qt, you will probably wind up using it for your next GUI project.

Cheers, Tom

Re: Semi-OT: Recommendations for student editors / IDE's

d3x0r
Since once size doesn't fit all

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 6:30 AM, Matt P. Dziubinski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/8/2010 3:04 PM, K. Frank wrote:
>> Hello All -
>>
>> I'm teaching my daughter C++ (first "real" programming language),
>> and I am interested is suggestions for text editors and/or IDE's
>> that would be appropriate in this context.
>>
>> We are using windows and mingw.  I don't much care for visual
>> studio -- especially for learning the basics, what with all of its bells
>> and whistles and smoke and mirrors.
>>
>> Right now we are using notepad (which hammers home the message
>> that the program source files are just plain-vanilla text files), but it
>> seems an unnecessary burden to stick with notepad for the long haul.
>
> What I can suggest immediately is to replace Notepad with Notepad2:
> http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html

notepad++
http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Might look into cmake and associating cmakelists.txt with that?
command line command syntax and protocol (like typing the name of a
console program usually gives parameters and usage) will probably be a
good skill.

As my entirely free environment I use FAR (File archive manager) it's
got a builtin editor, but you can set options and override that, but
then you get the benefit of command line and semi-gui (arrow key/click
support) file browser and ctrl-O (for 'other' ) shows the command line
so you can see make results or program output without having to code
some sort of while(1) ;  to make a command line program you create
stop so you can see the output.

Can fill in with any choice of compilers

> It's characterized by a very small memory footprint (load end exits
> pretty much immediately, you can configure ESC to work as an exit key so
> that when you invoke it from a file manager you have a complete workspace).
>
> Syntax highlighting really comes in handy :) I used it with success in a
> C++ study group.
>
> You can also bind compilation and execution to CMD scripts (Windows
> batch files) for compilation (and/or "make" invocation) and execution to
> ALT+L ("L" as in "Launch") to speed up the dev. process.
>
> As for the IDE, MSVC is pretty good, but if you want alternatives I
> think those are worth consideration:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CodeLite
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code::Blocks
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WxDev-C%2B%2B
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_Creator
>
> First two are general, last two handy when working with wxWidgets or Qt,
> respectively; other that that choice is really a matter of taste (look
> which screenshot appeals the most to you ;]) and needs (whether you want
> built-in debugging, profiling frontend), see:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_integrated_development_environments#C.2FC.2B.2B
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Best,
>
> Matt

Re: Semi-OT: Recommendations for student editors / IDE's

Thomas Sharpless
Hi Peter

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Peter Rockett <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've heard good things about qt-creator but be aware it's not open
source.  Maybe not an issue for teaching your daughter C++ but Nokia's
licensing terms are quite complex.

True, the source of Creator is not open.  Or at least I haven't seen it.  But all of Qt's library source is open, and if you like you can build customized versions.

Nokia's terms have -- amazingly -- been getting less restrictive and simpler with each release of Qt.  It is now fully GPLv3 licensed.  There is still a "commercial" license required for people who will sell s/w built on the Qt libraries.  Maybe you still have to buy that license to get full integration with MSVC, but I believe they are now distributing libraries built with MSVC for free, and supporting NMake and WinSDK in an open source edition.  So you can take advantage of MS's very good optimization for Windows on i86 machines if you want to (actually you always could if you set up the build environment right and built the libs yourself).

Cheers, Tom

Re: Semi-OT: Recommendations for student editors /IDE's

Ben Ross
> On 08/11/10 14:04, K. Frank wrote:
>> I'm teaching my daughter C++ (first "real" programming language),
>> and I am interested is suggestions for text editors and/or IDE's
>> that would be appropriate in this context.

I use Notepad++ at work as a back-up to my main editors (Eclipse and
Visual Studio).

I would say Eclipse is too heavy weight for a beginner, too confusing
and too many ways to trip up.

Other options I would recommend are:

CodeBlocks, a light weight open source cross platform IDE.

Geany, a text editor really but knows about compilers and will compile a
single source file into a program, even with multiple files open.

Cheers
Ben

SciSys UK Limited. Registered in England and Wales No. 4373530.
Registered Office: Methuen Park, Chippenham, Wiltshire SN14 0GB, UK.

Before printing, please think about the environment.

12