S_IRWXG, S_IRWXO undefined when building gcc 4.9.2 with mingwrt 3.20

S_IRWXG, S_IRWXO undefined when building gcc 4.9.2 with mingwrt 3.20

David Gressett
I had previously successfully built gcc 4.9.2 ; I am now trying it again after
having upgraded to the mingwrt 3.21 and I am having problems.

I get through a large part of the build, but shortly after generating 13,000
lines  in the log file, the xgcc compiler chokes on this file:

gcc-4.9.2/libgfortran/io/unix.c

at line 1133.

The offending line is

mode_mask = umask (S_IXUSR | S_IRWXG | S_IRWXO);

The compiler has no problems with S_IXUSR but cannot find definitions for
S_IRWXG and S_IRWXO.

S_IXUSR is defined in  sys/stat.h and I would expect  theother two to be
defined there as well, but they are not.

A bit of searching finds both of the missing items are defined  in a directory
fairly deeply buried in the msys directory structure, but the definitions there
look very unixish and won't do for use in the MinGW sys/stat.h.

A search for the missing definitions in the source code for the previous
version of mingwrt turns up nothing.

The offending line of code is protected inside an #ifdef HAVE_UMASK.

This leads me to believe that something in mingwrt 3.21 is causing the
gcc 4.9.2 build to be misconfigured and it is causing HAVE_UMASK to
be defined  when it should not be, so that the build is compiling code that
should not be compiled for Windows. I should file a ticket for this,
but I would like to be able to propose a patch when I do that.

Does anybody have any idea  what could be causing this? The next
step is to compare the present and previous versions of mingwrt,
but I don't want to waste time reinventing wheels that someone else
already knows about.

Re: S_IRWXG, S_IRWXO undefined when building gcc 4.9.2 with mingwrt 3.20

Earnie Boyd
> From: David Gressett
>
> I had previously successfully built gcc 4.9.2 ; I am now trying it again
after having
> upgraded to the mingwrt 3.21 and I am having problems.
>
> I get through a large part of the build, but shortly after generating
13,000 lines

> in the log file, the xgcc compiler chokes on this file:
>
> gcc-4.9.2/libgfortran/io/unix.c
>
> at line 1133.
>
> The offending line is
>
> mode_mask = umask (S_IXUSR | S_IRWXG | S_IRWXO);
>
> The compiler has no problems with S_IXUSR but cannot find definitions for
> S_IRWXG and S_IRWXO.

Those bits don't exist in Windows.

> S_IXUSR is defined in  sys/stat.h and I would expect  theother two to be
defined
> there as well, but they are not.
>
> A bit of searching finds both of the missing items are defined  in a
directory fairly
> deeply buried in the msys directory structure, but the definitions there
look very
> unixish and won't do for use in the MinGW sys/stat.h.

Not for Windows consumption.

> A search for the missing definitions in the source code for the previous
version
> of mingwrt turns up nothing.
>
> The offending line of code is protected inside an #ifdef HAVE_UMASK.
>
> This leads me to believe that something in mingwrt 3.21 is causing the gcc
4.9.2
> build to be misconfigured and it is causing HAVE_UMASK to be defined  when
it
> should not be, so that the build is compiling code that should not be
compiled
> for Windows. I should file a ticket for this, but I would like to be able
to propose
> a patch when I do that.

Find the pieces of config.log to tell you why.

> Does anybody have any idea  what could be causing this? The next step is
> compare the present and previous versions of mingwrt, but I don't want to
> waste time reinventing wheels that someone else already knows about.

What are your configure arguments?

email quote text is hard to read

asmwarrior
Hi, Earnie, you post is hard to read especially in quoted text.
See the screen shot in attachment.
Any one has the same issue with me?
It looks like you email client cut long text by adding a hard wrap, but it doesn't add a "<" character in the beginning of next line, .
I'm using Thunderbird 24 under Windows XP.
Thanks.
Asmwarrior

quote-hard-to-read.png (16K) Download Attachment

> Hi, Earnie, you post is hard to read especially in quoted text.
> See the screen shot in attachment.
> Any one has the same issue with me?
> It looks like you email client cut long text by adding a hard wrap, but it doesn't
> add a "<" character in the beginning of next line, .
> I'm using Thunderbird 24 under Windows XP.

Thanks for your concern.  The email client I am using at the moment is Outlook.  I do have it set to text mode and cannot control my client's formatting beyond that.

Anyway, I did not have a problem reading the email from your picture.  I make sure that I include plenty of blank lines to highlight which is my response from the rest of the mail.

Re: S_IRWXG, S_IRWXO undefined when building gcc 4.9.2 with mingwrt 3.20

Hi David,

On 05/03/15 21:42, David Gressett wrote:
> The offending line of code is protected inside an #ifdef HAVE_UMASK.

I suspect that this may be a red herring.  Searching the config.log
files, throughout my cross-native build tree for mingw32-gcc-4.8.2,
(built against previous mingwrt-3.20), yields references only when
building libgfortran; these show:

  checking for umask
  result: yes
  .
  .
  #define HAVE_UMASK 1

so it would appear that HAVE_UMASK would have been defined for the
earlier case anyway.

> This leads me to believe that something in mingwrt 3.21 is causing the
> gcc 4.9.2 build to be misconfigured and it is causing HAVE_UMASK to
> be defined  when it should not be, ...

I'm not convinced; see above.

> ... so that the build is compiling code that should not be compiled
> for Windows. I should file a ticket for this, but I would like to be
> able to propose a patch when I do that.
>
> Does anybody have any idea  what could be causing this? The next
> step is to compare the present and previous versions of mingwrt,
> but I don't want to waste time reinventing wheels that someone else
> already knows about.

The only change that I can think of, which might have a bearing, is that
_mingw.h now defines _POSIX_C_SOURCE as 200809L, unless you use an
option which implicitly sets __STRICT_ANSI__, or explicitly set a lower
standard of POSIX.1 compliance.  However, if that is the case, it would
tend to indicate that GCC is not testing features appropriately, for as
I read the POSIX.1 standards, _POSIX_C_SOURCE is not a promise that any
specific feature will be available, but rather a request to expose all
features for a specific POSIX.1 version which a particular
implementation is able to support.

Beyond this, I have no suggestions to offer; you'll need to investigate
the issue for yourself, as I simply don't have time to look into it ATM.

Re: S_IRWXG, S_IRWXO undefined when building gcc 4.9.2 with mingwrt 3.20

Keith Marshall
Hi David,

On 10/03/15 04:35, Keith Marshall wrote:
> On 05/03/15 21:42, David Gressett wrote:
>> The offending line of code is protected inside an #ifdef HAVE_UMASK.
>
> I suspect that this may be a red herring.

It is; the issue is not related to HAVE_UMASK.

>> This leads me to believe that something in mingwrt 3.21 is causing the
>> gcc 4.9.2 build to be misconfigured and it is causing HAVE_UMASK to
>> be defined  when it should not be, ...
>
> I'm not convinced; see above.

I am convinced, now: your belief that something in mingwrt-3.21 has
raised an issue is correct, but you've jumped to the wrong conclusion
regarding its relationship to HAVE_UMASK.

>> Does anybody have any idea  what could be causing this? The next
>> step is to compare the present and previous versions of mingwrt,
>> but I don't want to waste time reinventing wheels that someone else
>> already knows about.
>
> The only change that I can think of, which might have a bearing, is that
> _mingw.h now defines _POSIX_C_SOURCE as 200809L,

This is also an incorrect presumption ...

> Beyond this, I have no suggestions to offer; you'll need to investigate
> the issue for yourself, as I simply don't have time to look into it ATM.

I did find time to take a quick peek into libgfortran/io/unix.c; the
issue arises because of the #ifdef HAVE_MKSTEMP, which encloses the
#ifdef HAVE_UMASK you've questioned. See, mingwrt-3.21 now provides an
implementation of mkstemp(3), where previous versions did not, causing
HAVE_MKSTEMP to become defined, and exposing the (presumably) long
standing bug in libgfortran/io/unix.c ... it gratuitously, (and quite
erroneously), assumes that any runtime implementation which provides
mkstemp(3) must also define S_IRWXG and S_IRWXO, neither of which has
any meaning on Windows.

The correct resolution for this is to remove the bogus assumption from
libgfortran/io/unix.c; a simple workaround is to append

  && !defined(__MINGW32__)

to each of the three preprocessor conditionals, within tempfile_open(),
which test HAVE_UMASK, (for it is within their scope that the bogus
assumption appears).  However, the libgfortran maintainers may wish to
consider some other corrective mechanism.

unix.c.patch (1K) Download Attachment

On 06/03/15 14:13, Earnie wrote:

>> From: asmwarrior Sent: Thursday, March 5, 2015 9:12 PM To: MinGW
>> Users List Subject: [Mingw-users] email quote text is hard to read
>>
>> Hi, Earnie, you post is hard to read especially in quoted text. See
>> the screen shot in attachment. Any one has the same issue with me?
>> It looks like you email client cut long text by adding a hard wrap,
>> but it doesn't add a "<" character in the beginning of next line,
>> . I'm using Thunderbird 24 under Windows XP.
>
> Thanks for your concern.  The email client I am using at the moment
> is Outlook.  I do have it set to text mode and cannot control my
> client's formatting beyond that.

Text formatting in Outlook, (and its Outlook Express sibling), is, to
express it politely, probably the most dreadful of any MUA available.

> Anyway, I did not have a problem reading the email from your picture.
> I make sure that I include plenty of blank lines to highlight which
> is my response from the rest of the mail.

I'm using Thunderbird-31.5.0 on LinuxMint Debian, and I too found your
post a little difficult to read, Earnie ... a combination of Outlook's
dreadful formatting up front, and Thunderbird's similarly dreadful
handling of nested quotes, (a problem which has afflicted Thunderbird
since at least the earliest 3.0 incarnation I ever used ... I do wish
the Mozilla folks would stop chasing insanely incrementing major version
numbers, with little or no obvious user-visible change from one version
to the next, and focus on fixing actual issues).

Re: email quote text is hard to read

> From: Keith Marshall
>
> On 06/03/15 14:13, Earnie wrote:
> >> From: asmwarrior Sent: Thursday, March 5, 2015 9:12 PM To: MinGW
> >> Users List Subject: [Mingw-users] email quote text is hard to read
> >>
> >> Hi, Earnie, you post is hard to read especially in quoted text. See
> >> the screen shot in attachment. Any one has the same issue with me?
> >> It looks like you email client cut long text by adding a hard wrap,
> >> but it doesn't add a "<" character in the beginning of next line, .
> >> I'm using Thunderbird 24 under Windows XP.
> >
> > Thanks for your concern.  The email client I am using at the moment
> > is Outlook.  I do have it set to text mode and cannot control my
> > client's formatting beyond that.
>
> Text formatting in Outlook, (and its Outlook Express sibling), is, to
express it
> politely, probably the most dreadful of any MUA available.

I'm the first to agree with you and the better the version the worse the
options get.

> > Anyway, I did not have a problem reading the email from your picture.
> > I make sure that I include plenty of blank lines to highlight which
> > is my response from the rest of the mail.
>
> I'm using Thunderbird-31.5.0 on LinuxMint Debian, and I too found your
post a
> little difficult to read, Earnie ... a combination of Outlook's
> dreadful
formatting
> up front, and Thunderbird's similarly dreadful handling of nested
> quotes,
(a
> problem which has afflicted Thunderbird since at least the earliest
> 3.0 incarnation I ever used ... I do wish the Mozilla folks would stop
> chasing
insanely
> incrementing major version numbers, with little or no obvious
> user-visible change from one version to the next, and focus on fixing
actual issues).

And converting from HTML mail to text is unbearable for me with Outlook.
But for now Outlook is what I will use.

Maybe I can find a plugin that will format the mail better; I'll look
eventually.

On 16/03/15 13:26, Earnie wrote:
> And converting from HTML mail to text is unbearable for me with Outlook.

I agree that HTML mail is utterly disgusting, but a good MUA should
convert it to POT on the fly.

> But for now Outlook is what I will use.

That's fine by me.  When I said that I also found the formatting
slightly off-putting, I was actually pointing out that the original
complainant was using Thunderbird, which is equally culpable in the
formatting mess, due to its long standing inadequate, and thoroughly
disgusting mishandling of nested quoting levels.

I haven't used Outlook in ages, (and likely never will again); maybe you
could shorten the line length, to avoid overspill of over-long quoted
text lines?

Re: email quote text is hard to read

Earnie Boyd
> From: Keith Marshall
>
> On 16/03/15 13:26, Earnie wrote:
> > But for now Outlook is what I will use.
>
> That's fine by me.  When I said that I also found the formatting slightly
off-
> putting, I was actually pointing out that the original complainant was
using
> Thunderbird, which is equally culpable in the formatting mess, due to its
long
> standing inadequate, and thoroughly disgusting mishandling of nested
quoting
> levels.

When I read the above paragraph the Outlook view presented it as one long
line.

> I haven't used Outlook in ages, (and likely never will again); maybe you
could
> shorten the line length, to avoid overspill of over-long quoted text
lines?

So it does this in the reply but that depends on the format of the email
sent.

On 18/03/15 16:59, Earnie wrote:

>> From: Keith Marshall
>>
>> On 16/03/15 13:26, Earnie wrote:
>>> But for now Outlook is what I will use.
>>
>> That's fine by me.  When I said that I also found the formatting slightly
> off-
>> putting, I was actually pointing out that the original complainant was
> using
>> Thunderbird, which is equally culpable in the formatting mess, due to its
> long
>> standing inadequate, and thoroughly disgusting mishandling of nested
> quoting
>> levels.
>>

> When I read the above paragraph the Outlook view presented it as one long
> line.

A Thunderbird "feature": it wraps the text as it's being composed, but
transmits only the hard line breaks ... those where the author actually
hit the return key.  The soft breaks are not transmitted, leaving it up
to the receiver to wrap it again, at its preferred line length; this is
fine when the receiving MUA is also Thunderbird, but of course, Outlook
doesn't reciprocate this courtesy.

>> I haven't used Outlook in ages, (and likely never will again); maybe you
> could
>> shorten the line length, to avoid overspill of over-long quoted text
> lines?
>>

> So it does this in the reply but that depends on the format of the email
> sent.

Exactly the issue.  Thunderbird sends unwrapped paragraphs, expecting
the receiver to wrap them, (which Outlook doesn't); Outlook sends each
line, as composed, as a hard wrapped fragment, and Thunderbird rewraps
each individually, but it mishandles quoting, and makes no attempt to
reconstitute the original paragraph structure, resulting in the mess.

If only everybody would use Thunderbird, then all would be rosy; but
that's a totally unrealistic proposition.  The reality is that both
Outlook and Thunderbird are rather poor MUAs; there are *much* better
alternatives to both.  I used to use KMail, which I much preferred, but
as a POP3 client; it doesn't seem to want to talk to my GMail service as
an IMAP client, which I would prefer ... one day I may find a round
tuit, to figure out Mutt.

Re: email quote text is hard to read

Earnie Boyd
> From: Keith Marshall
> On 18/03/15 16:59, Earnie wrote:
> >> From: Keith Marshall

> >> That's fine by me.  When I said that I also found the formatting
> >> slightly
> > off-
> >> putting, I was actually pointing out that the original complainant
> >> was
> > using
> >> Thunderbird, which is equally culpable in the formatting mess, due to
> >> its
> > long
> >> standing inadequate, and thoroughly disgusting mishandling of nested
> > quoting
> >> levels.
> >>

> > When I read the above paragraph the Outlook view presented it as one
> > long line.
>
> A Thunderbird "feature": it wraps the text as it's being composed, but
transmits
> only the hard line breaks ... those where the author actually hit the
return key.
> The soft breaks are not transmitted, leaving it up to the receiver to wrap
it
> again, at its preferred line length; this is fine when the receiving MUA
is also
> Thunderbird, but of course, Outlook doesn't reciprocate this courtesy.

So Thunderbird is adding another level of line break to the quoted text when
the length of the line plus the prepended quote character goes greater than
the set maximum.  And Outlook sends the hard break in the response so we get
garbage.

> If only everybody would use Thunderbird, then all would be rosy; but
that's a
> totally unrealistic proposition.  The reality is that both Outlook and
Thunderbird
> are rather poor MUAs; there are *much* better alternatives to both.  I
used to
> use KMail, which I much preferred, but as a POP3 client; it doesn't seem
to want
> to talk to my GMail service as an IMAP client, which I would prefer ...
one day I
> may find a round tuit, to figure out Mutt.

I had to do some fancy settings in gmail to allow Outlook to connect to
IMAP.  Something regarding allowing insecure applications to connect to the
service.