Quantcast

Re: mingw32-make.exe problem

Earnie Boyd

Quoting Alan James Caruana <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 7:26 PM, Earnie Boyd
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Quoting Alan James Caruana <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was using mingw32-make in the windows environment (i.e. no MSYS and
>>> no CYGWIN), and it was working fine until I shut down my PC.  When I
>>> restarted, the machine, mingw32-make would not work, and gives an
>>> error after each command it executes. The error it gives is the
>>> following:
>>>
>>> mingw32-make: Interrupt/Exception caught (code = 0xc0000005, addr =
>>> 0x41f96e)
>>>
>>> I tried re-installing the make, but nothing improved.  How can I solve
>>> this problem ?
>>>

>> Did you install any new hardware like a camera or make any other changes?
>>

> Actually it broke when I installed MSYS.  But I also tried it on a
> clean system on a VM with no MSYS and the same problem occurred.

DON'T TOP POST.

What if you use the MSYS version of make?  Is the VM on the same PC as
the original?  You haven't given us much to go on.

When you installed MSYS you there is now a sh.exe and if mingw32-make
finds a file of that name it will use that instead of cmd.exe unless
you state inside of the Makefile ``SHELL = cmd''.

Re: mingw32-make.exe problem

Alan James Caruana

DON'T TOP POST.
I'm not too familiar with these terms .. what does this mean ?

What if you use the MSYS version of make?  Is the VM on the same PC as
the original?  You haven't given us much to go on.
I haven't tried the MSYS version of make, but I'll do that.  Anyway here is the whole story ...

I have a VM where I try stuff out before using them in my actual working environment.  This VM has got Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition running.  I installed MinGW (manual download of the modules) (gcc, g++, binutils, mingw32-make, mingw-utils, gdb) last week and it all worked fine.  For the w/end I turned off the VM just in case some  updates are installed on the host machine and it boots or something of the sort.  Last Tuesday (Monday was a holiday here) I restarted the VM, and thought that i might try MSYS.  I installed MSYS using the installer package in a different folder than MinGW.  From that moment on mingw32-make is giving the error I posted earlier after every command, whether the command is to compile a file, delete a file, create a directory or whatever.

I then tried removing the whole MinGW folder and re-extracted all the packages in the order as described on http://www.mingw.org/node/24 but the problem persisted.  I then started a new VM on the same host machine and installed the same OS, i.e. Window Server 2003 Enterprise Edition.  I installed gzip and libarchive (for bsdtar.exe) on this VM and extracted the MinGW packages on this VM, but did not install neither MSYS nor CYGWIN.  The problem persists.

The source code I am compiling is located on another server.  I mapped this location to a network drive.  However, even when I tried a dummy compilation (sort of hello world) with sources located on local disks on the VMs (both of them), the problem persisted.

When you installed MSYS you there is now a sh.exe and if mingw32-make
finds a file of that name it will use that instead of cmd.exe unless
you state inside of the Makefile ``SHELL = cmd''.

Re: Top Posting and Netiquette [WAS: mingw32-make.exe problem]

Earnie Boyd

Quoting Alan James Caruana <[hidden email]>:

>> DON'T TOP POST.
>
> I'm not too familiar with these terms .. what does this mean ?

http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/T/top-post.html
http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/top-posting.html
http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html

We prefer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Inline_replying

Also see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette

Re: Text Only Mail [WAS: mingw32-make.exe problem]

Quoting Alan James Caruana <[hidden email]>:

>> DON'T TOP POST.
>
> I'm not too familiar with these terms .. what does this mean ?

While I'm at it.  It is appreciated that you set your email client to
send text only email to this list.  HTML and other MIME encoded mail
may not even be read and simply trashed.

Re: mingw32-make.exe problem

Quoting Alan James Caruana <[hidden email]>:

> I have a VM where I try stuff out before using them in my actual working
> environment.  This VM has got Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
> running.  I installed MinGW (manual download of the modules) (gcc, g++,
> binutils, mingw32-make, mingw-utils, gdb) last week and it all worked fine.
> For the w/end I turned off the VM just in case some  updates are installed
> on the host machine and it boots or something of the sort.  Last Tuesday
> (Monday was a holiday here) I restarted the VM, and thought that i might try
> MSYS.  I installed MSYS using the installer package in a different folder
> than MinGW.  From that moment on mingw32-make is giving the error I posted
> earlier after every command, whether the command is to compile a file,
> delete a file, create a directory or whatever.

The error wasn't very meaningful.  Can you use the --debug switch to
see if you can narrow where the issue might be?

> I then tried removing the whole MinGW folder and re-extracted all the
> packages in the order as described on http://www.mingw.org/node/24 but the
> problem persisted.  I then started a new VM on the same host machine and
> installed the same OS, i.e. Window Server 2003 Enterprise Edition.  I
> installed gzip and libarchive (for bsdtar.exe) on this VM and extracted the
> MinGW packages on this VM, but did not install neither MSYS nor CYGWIN.  The
> problem persists.

Have you executed memory diagnostics?  Perhaps there is an issue there?

> The source code I am compiling is located on another server.  I mapped this
> location to a network drive.  However, even when I tried a dummy compilation
> (sort of hello world) with sources located on local disks on the VMs (both
> of them), the problem persisted.

I'm out of suggestions.

>> When you installed MSYS you there is now a sh.exe and if mingw32-make
>> finds a file of that name it will use that instead of cmd.exe unless
>> you state inside of the Makefile ``SHELL = cmd''.

Re: mingw32-make.exe problem

Alan James Caruana
What if you use the MSYS version of make?  Is the VM on the same PC as
the original?  You haven't given us much to go on.

I tried the MSYS version of make this morning and it worked.

When you installed MSYS you there is now a sh.exe and if mingw32-make
finds a file of that name it will use that instead of cmd.exe unless
you state inside of the Makefile ``SHELL = cmd''.

stating SHELL=cmd inside of the Makefile made no difference to mingw32-make.

Thanks for your help
Alan J. Caruana