Re: [Python-Dev] compiling python2.5 (msys+mingw+wine) - giving up using msvcr80 assemblies for now

Re: [Python-Dev] compiling python2.5 (msys+mingw+wine) - giving up using msvcr80 assemblies for now

lkcl
On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Tim Lesher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 08:02, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> of course - if python for win32 ENTIRELY DROPPED msvc as a development
>> platform, and went for an entirely free software development
>> toolchain, then this problem goes away.
>
> That's a non-starter for anyone who incorporates Python in an existing
> MSVC-based development environment.

surely incorporating libpython2.5.dll.a or libpython2.6.dll.a, along
with the .def and the importlib that's generated with dlldump, unless
i'm missing something, would be a simple matter, yes?

> When in Rome...

 yeah they said the same thing about "gas ovens", too.  not the nazi
gas ovens, the phrase my mother used to say "if someone stuck their
head in a gas oven, would you do the same?".

> There would also be a significant performance cost.
> The PGO (Profile Guided Optimisation) compilation of
> Visual Studio is impressive.

i'd say "great" - but given a choice of "impressive profile guided
optimisation plus a proprietary compiler, proprietary operating system
_and_ being forced to purchase a system _capable_ of running said
proprietary compiler, said proprietary operating system, _and_ giving
up free software principles _and_ having to go through patch-pain,
install-pain _and_ being forced to use a GUI-based IDE for
compilation" or "free software tools and downloads the use of which
means i am beholden to NOONE", it's a simple choice for me to make -
maybe not for other people.

l.

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: [Python-Dev] compiling python2.5 (msys+mingw+wine) - giving up using msvcr80 assemblies for now

lkcl
> It only becomes a problem when someone wants to both support Windows
> users of their extension modules with pre-built binaries, but *also*
> doesn't want to set up the appropriate environment for building such
> binaries (currently a minimum bar of Visual Studio Express on a Windows
> VM instance).

ok - fortunately, thanks to dan kegel for pointing me in the right
direction of "winetricks vcrun2005p1" i was able to get a successful
build using Microsoft.VC8.CRT assemblies.

i say "successful" because Parser/pgen.exe was built and ran, and
libpython2.5.dll.a was also successfully built, as was python.exe
successfully built.

the problem _now_ to overcome is that the bloody libmsvcrt80.a has the
wrong definitions, for a 32-bit build!  it has functions like _fstat
instead of _fstat32 and so on.

if this was a 64-bit version of wine i was using mingw32 under, i
would not have encountered this issue.

amazingly, however, someone _else_ who kindly tried out compiling
python2.5 with mingw and msvcr80, native on win32, reported that it
was a complete success! as in, "successful build, successful install,
successful run of tests, only 4 failed regression tests".  i am
utterly mystified as to how that happened.

next task: beat the crap out of libmsvcr80.a and /mingw/include/*.h,
repeat until success.

l.

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 9:19 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> That's a non-starter for anyone who incorporates Python in an existing
>>> MSVC-based development environment.
>>
>> surely incorporating libpython2.5.dll.a or libpython2.6.dll.a, along
>> with the .def and the importlib that's generated with dlldump, unless
>> i'm missing something, would be a simple matter, yes?
>
> Not exactly sure what this is, but I believe Python *already* includes
> such a thing.

 sorry, martin - i thought the win32 builds generated python25.lib,
python25.dll and python25.def so as to fit into the 8.3 filename
convention.

Re: [Python-Dev] compiling python2.5 (msys+mingw+wine) - giving up using msvcr80 assemblies for now

lkcl
> next task: beat the crap out of libmsvcr80.a and /mingw/include/*.h,
> repeat until success.

 https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2134161&group_id=2435&atid=352435

 roumen, it looks like you've been and done that, already - thank you!

Quoting Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <[hidden email]>:

> the problem _now_ to overcome is that the bloody libmsvcrt80.a has the
> wrong definitions, for a 32-bit build!  it has functions like _fstat
> instead of _fstat32 and so on.

I'll point you here
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/221w8e43(VS.80).aspx

Based on this document _fstat is equivalent to _fstat64i32 where 64 is
the time bits and 32 is the file bits.

> next task: beat the crap out of libmsvcr80.a and /mingw/include/*.h,
> repeat until success.

This will be most appreciated.  Please post your patches to the patch
tracker and be sure to have a proper ChangeLog entry.

Re: [Python-Dev] compiling python2.5 (msys+mingw+wine) - giving up using msvcr80 assemblies for now

Roumen Petrov
Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Quoting Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <[hidden email]>:
>
>> the problem _now_ to overcome is that the bloody libmsvcrt80.a has the
>> wrong definitions, for a 32-bit build!  it has functions like _fstat
>> instead of _fstat32 and so on.
>>

> I'll point you here
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/221w8e43(VS.80).aspx
>
> Based on this document _fstat is equivalent to _fstat64i32 where 64 is
> the time bits and 32 is the file bits.
>
>> next task: beat the crap out of libmsvcr80.a and /mingw/include/*.h,
>> repeat until success.
>>

> This will be most appreciated.  Please post your patches to the patch
> tracker and be sure to have a proper ChangeLog entry.
>
> Earnie

I think that Luke use patch from Feature Requests N# 2134161 "time64
functions and types for msvcrt >= 8.0".

Roumen