Re: Msys sh stackdump during make

123

Re: Msys sh stackdump during make

Adam Rosi-Kessel
I've got the same problem. sh.exe stack dumps whatever I try to build.
Right now I'm trying to build gnucash and songbird, each according to
the recommended build method. The stack dumps seem random -- sometimes I
get a few steps into the build; sometimes it dumps immediately. I am
never able to complete a build.

I've tried msys 1.0.1, as well as the latest stable version (1.0.10).
I've also tried the mozilla-build 1.3 msys, as recommended by songbird.
They all behave the same.

I've never had a logitech camera and have none of the related drivers or
services that seem to come up most frequently in discussions of this
problem.

The only thing I've noticed is disabling on-access virus scanning seems
to slightly reduce the frequency of crashes, but I'm still not able to
build anything.

Any ideas? I've never been able to use msys to build anything.

msysinfo from regular msys installation:

$ msysinfo
msysinfo-1.3: Send this to the MSYS support list:

       0 [main] sh 2652 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
sh.exe.stackdump
MSYS 1.0.10(0.46/3/2) 2004-03-15 07:17 i686 unknown; targ=
GNU bash, version 2.04.0(1)-release (i686-pc-msys); ENV=.profile
GNU Make version 3.79.1,Built for i686-pc-msys; MAKE_MODE=unix
gcc.exe (GCC) 3.4.5 (mingw-vista special r3); targ=MINGW32
GNU ld version 2.17.50 20060824
    789320 Tue Mar 16 14:32:49 2004 /bin/msys-1.0.dll
     52064 Thu Jan 02 08:05:27 2003 /bin/msysltdl-3.dll
    135680 Tue Mar 16 14:32:48 2004 /bin/make.exe
     90112 Thu Apr 24 11:01:53 2008 /mingw/bin/gcc.exe
    806237 Fri Aug 25 01:35:47 2006 /mingw/bin/ld.exe
HOME=/c/soft/msys/home/
Sysname=MINGW32_NT-5.1  OSTYPE=msys  TERM=msys
PATH=.:/usr/local/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:/c/WINDOWS/system32:/c/WIN
DOWS:/c/WINDOWS/system32/WBEM
$ ls -tx /c/soft/msys/home
sh.exe.stackdump  .bash_history

msysinfo from mozilla-build installation:

$ msysinfo
msysinfo-1.3: Send this to the MSYS support list:

MSYS 1.0.11(0.46/3/2) 2007-01-12 12:05 i686 unknown; targ=MINGW32
GNU bash, version 2.04.0(1)-release (i686-pc-msys); ENV=.profile
GNU Make 3.81.90This program built for i686-pc-msys32; MAKE_MODE=unix
       0 [main] sh 2880 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
sh.exe.stackdump
gcc (GCC) 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125); targ=
GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.18.50.20080625
  2008-06-16 13:44:24.000000000 -0400 /bin/msys-1.0.dll
  2008-06-16 13:44:24.000000000 -0400 /bin/msys-crypto-0.9.8.dll
  2008-06-16 13:44:24.000000000 -0400 /bin/msys-minires.dll
  2008-06-16 13:44:24.000000000 -0400 /bin/msys-ssl-0.9.8.dll
  2008-06-16 13:44:24.000000000 -0400 /bin/msys-z.dll
  2008-06-16 13:44:24.000000000 -0400 /bin/msysltdl-3.dll
       0 [main] sh 1580 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
sh.exe.stackdump
006-12-17 19:56:16.000000000 -0500 /c/cygwin/bin/gcc.exe
2008-07-08 18:14:40.000000000 -0400 /c/cygwin/bin/ld.exe
HOME=/c/mozilla-build/msys/BOSNT01
Sysname=MINGW32_NT-5.1  OSTYPE=msys  TERM=msys
PATH=.:/usr/local/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:/c/WINDOWS/system32:/c/WIN
DOWS:/c/WINDOWS/system32/WBEM
$ ls -tx /c/mozilla-build/msys/home
sh.exe.stackdump

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: Msys sh stackdump during make

Cesar Strauss
Adam Rosi-Kessel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The only thing I've noticed is disabling on-access virus scanning seems
> to slightly reduce the frequency of crashes, but I'm still not able to
> build anything.

Since MSYS shares much code with Cygwin, perhaps some Cygwin-related
advice could help:

1) Please try uninstalling the anti-virus software completely,
sometimes disabling it is not enough.
2) The following page has some other software that is known to cause problems:
     http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda
3) Try downloading rebase.exe from
     http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/rebase/
   Then close all MSYS programs and run from the Command Prompt:
     rebase -b 0x30000000 msys-1.0.dll

Hope this helps,

Cesar

Cesar Strauss wrote, on 11/29/2008 1:04 PM:

> Adam Rosi-Kessel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The only thing I've noticed is disabling on-access virus scanning seems
>> to slightly reduce the frequency of crashes, but I'm still not able to
>> build anything.
>
> Since MSYS shares much code with Cygwin, perhaps some Cygwin-related
> advice could help:
>
> 1) Please try uninstalling the anti-virus software completely,
> sometimes disabling it is not enough.
> 2) The following page has some other software that is known to cause problems:
>      http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda
> 3) Try downloading rebase.exe from
>      http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/rebase/
>    Then close all MSYS programs and run from the Command Prompt:
>      rebase -b 0x30000000 msys-1.0.dll

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried both and still no luck. I also tried
killing/stopping every process/service that seemed potentially invasive
(i.e., everything that was not essential to running the OS) and still
get the same result. What's particularly surprising to me is how random
the crashes seem to be -- I can run the same make command ten times, and
each time get a different crash. It's also surprising that there is no
useful debug information coming out -- the stack dump itself doesn't
seem enlightening.

The only other possible cause I might mention is pointsec, which is the
tool for the encrypted hard drive. I don't have any way to disable it
and still run my laptop. I wouldn't think that should interfere -- I've
never heard of any other application having any issues with pointsec --
but if it is the cause I can't think of a good way to test it.

Any other suggestions?

Adam

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: Msys sh stackdump during make

Greg Chicares
On 2008-11-30 01:53Z, Adam Rosi-Kessel wrote:

> What's particularly surprising to me is how random
> the crashes seem to be -- I can run the same make command ten times, and
> each time get a different crash. It's also surprising that there is no
> useful debug information coming out -- the stack dump itself doesn't
> seem enlightening.

When it stops, try typing the same 'make' command again. If it goes
further, then crashes elsewhere, it might be hardware:
  http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/

Greg Chicares wrote, on 11/30/2008 2:50 PM:
>> What's particularly surprising to me is how random
>> the crashes seem to be -- I can run the same make command ten times, and
>> each time get a different crash. It's also surprising that there is no
>> useful debug information coming out -- the stack dump itself doesn't
>> seem enlightening.
> When it stops, try typing the same 'make' command again. If it goes
> further, then crashes elsewhere, it might be hardware:
>   http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/

Repeatedly executing 'make' does have inconsistent results, but it
doesn't necessarily go further. Sometimes it crashes immediately,
sometimes further on. It's not linear. I can run 'make' ten times in a
row and crash at ten different points, some earlier, some later, in the
make process.

I'm pretty sure it's not hardware--I was having this identical problem
on the predecessor machine to this one. They are both Lenovo Laptops but
different models (x60 vs. x61) with no common parts.

Adam Rosi-Kessel wrote:

> Cesar Strauss wrote, on 11/29/2008 1:04 PM:
>> Adam Rosi-Kessel wrote:
>>> The only thing I've noticed is disabling on-access virus scanning seems
>>> to slightly reduce the frequency of crashes, but I'm still not able to
>>> build anything.
>>
>> Since MSYS shares much code with Cygwin, perhaps some Cygwin-related
>> advice could help:
>>
>> 1) Please try uninstalling the anti-virus software completely,
>> sometimes disabling it is not enough.
>> 2) The following page has some other software that is known to cause problems:
>>      http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda
>> 3) Try downloading rebase.exe from
>>      http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/rebase/
>>    Then close all MSYS programs and run from the Command Prompt:
>>      rebase -b 0x30000000 msys-1.0.dll
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. I tried both and still no luck.

Could you try installing Cygwin and see if it crashes as well?

Cesar

Cesar Strauss wrote, on 11/30/2008 4:57 PM:
>>> 1) Please try uninstalling the anti-virus software completely,
>>> sometimes disabling it is not enough.
>>> 2) The following page has some other software that is known to cause problems:
>>>      http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda
>> Thanks for the suggestions. I tried both and still no luck.
> Could you try installing Cygwin and see if it crashes as well?

I have been using cygwin as well. Nothing has ever crashed in Cygwin,
but I can't build either of the packages (gnucash or songbird) from
Cygwin, presumably because of idiosyncracies in the build processes.

I've tried troubleshooting the build process in cygwin but always get
stuck somewhere along the way. For example, the gnucash makefile
downloads msysdtk; the perl version in msysdtk fails mysteriously (with
an error 53). Trying to build these applications under cygwin seems to
be something of a rabbit-hole, unfortunately.

Adam Rosi-Kessel wrote:

>>> Thanks for the suggestions. I tried both and still no luck.
>> Could you try installing Cygwin and see if it crashes as well?
>
> I have been using cygwin as well. Nothing has ever crashed in Cygwin,

Interesting. If Cygwin is not affected, it might mean there is a fix
already available somewhere in the Cygwin sources. In the past, a
workaround for a Vista-related crash was successfully solved by code
derived from Cygwin.

> but I can't build either of the packages (gnucash or songbird) from
> Cygwin, presumably because of idiosyncracies in the build processes.

In this case, the build system (Cygwin) differs from the final host
system (MinGW), so you are actually cross-compiling. I see there are
instructions for cross-compiling in the build documentation of
gnucash. If all else fails, perhaps you could try this way.

Regards,
Cesar

Cesar Strauss wrote, on 11/30/2008 8:00 PM:

>>> Could you try installing Cygwin and see if it crashes as well?
>> I have been using cygwin as well. Nothing has ever crashed in Cygwin,
> Interesting. If Cygwin is not affected, it might mean there is a fix
> already available somewhere in the Cygwin sources. In the past, a
> workaround for a Vista-related crash was successfully solved by code
> derived from Cygwin.
>> but I can't build either of the packages (gnucash or songbird) from
>> Cygwin, presumably because of idiosyncracies in the build processes.
> In this case, the build system (Cygwin) differs from the final host
> system (MinGW), so you are actually cross-compiling. I see there are
> instructions for cross-compiling in the build documentation of
> gnucash. If all else fails, perhaps you could try this way.

Unfortunately the cross-compiling directions don't work as written. It
tries to build MinGW and dies here:

gcc -W -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Werror -O2
-fno-exceptions -s -o ar.exe arparse.o arlex.o ar.o not-ran
lib.o arsup.o rename.o binemul.o emul_vanilla.o bucomm.o version.o
filemode.o  ../bfd/.libs/libbfd.a ../libiberty/libiberty.a
arlex.o:arlex.c:(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `_main'
arparse.o:arparse.c:(.text+0x0): first defined here
ar.o:ar.c:(.text+0xeb0): multiple definition of `_main'
arparse.o:arparse.c:(.text+0x0): first defined here
ar.o:ar.c:(.text+0x25): undefined reference to `_yyparse'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I'll keep plugging away at it, but unfortunately it doesn't look easy.

(Incidentally, I'm not running Vista -- this is an XP SP3 box).

Adam

Adam Rosi-Kessel wrote:

> Cesar Strauss wrote, on 11/30/2008 8:00 PM:
>>> but I can't build either of the packages (gnucash or songbird) from
>>> Cygwin, presumably because of idiosyncracies in the build processes.
>> In this case, the build system (Cygwin) differs from the final host
>> system (MinGW), so you are actually cross-compiling. I see there are
>> instructions for cross-compiling in the build documentation of
>> gnucash. If all else fails, perhaps you could try this way.
>
> Unfortunately the cross-compiling directions don't work as written. It
> tries to build MinGW and dies here:

To build a MinGW cross-compiler, please try MinGW's own automated script:

Cross-Hosted MinGW Build Tool
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=12644

Regards,
Cesar

Cesar Strauss wrote, on 11/30/2008 9:42 PM:

>>> In this case, the build system (Cygwin) differs from the final host
>>> system (MinGW), so you are actually cross-compiling. I see there are
>>> instructions for cross-compiling in the build documentation of
>>> gnucash. If all else fails, perhaps you could try this way.
>> Unfortunately the cross-compiling directions don't work as written. It
>> tries to build MinGW and dies here:
> To build a MinGW cross-compiler, please try MinGW's own automated script:
>
> Cross-Hosted MinGW Build Tool
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=12644

Similar result with MinGW's script:

gcc -W -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Werror -O2
-fno-exceptions -s -o ar.exe arparse.o arlex.o ar.o not-ranlib.o arsup.o
rename.o binemul.o emul_vanilla.o bucomm.o version.o filemode.o
../bfd/.libs/libbfd.a ../libiberty/libiberty.a
arlex.o:arlex.c:(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `_main'
arparse.o:arparse.c:(.text+0x0): first defined here
ar.o:ar.c:(.text+0xeb0): multiple definition of `_main'
arparse.o:arparse.c:(.text+0x0): first defined here
ar.o:ar.c:(.text+0x25): undefined reference to `_yyparse'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [ar.exe] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory
`/cygdrive/c/soft/tmp/mingw-3.4.5/binutils-2.17.50-20060716-1-src/build/binutils'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/cygdrive/c/soft/tmp/mingw-3.4.5/binutils-2.17.50-20060716-1-src/build/binutils'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/cygdrive/c/soft/tmp/mingw-3.4.5/binutils-2.17.50-20060716-1-src/build/binutils'
make[1]: *** [all-binutils] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/cygdrive/c/soft/tmp/mingw-3.4.5/binutils-2.17.50-20060716-1-src/build'
make: *** [all] Error 2
/tmp/x86-mingw32-build.sh-0.0-20061107-1/x86-mingw32-build.sh:
unrecoverable error building binutils

Adam Rosi-Kessel wrote:

>>> Unfortunately the cross-compiling directions don't work as written. It
>>> tries to build MinGW and dies here:
>> To build a MinGW cross-compiler, please try MinGW's own automated script:
>>
>> Cross-Hosted MinGW Build Tool
>> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=12644
>
> Similar result with MinGW's script:

What is in you PATH? Try to simplify it to the maximum, to something like:

On Cygwin:
PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem

On MSYS:
PATH=/mingw/bin:/bin:/c/WINDOWS/system32:/c/WINDOWS:/c/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem

Also, check for multiple versions of msys-1.0.dll in your PATH.

Cesar

Quoting Adam Rosi-Kessel <[hidden email]>:

> $ msysinfo

Please execute the msysinfo command with an all parameter (msysinfo all).

> msysinfo-1.3: Send this to the MSYS support list:
>
> MSYS 1.0.11(0.46/3/2) 2007-01-12 12:05 i686 unknown; targ=MINGW32
> GNU bash, version 2.04.0(1)-release (i686-pc-msys); ENV=.profile
> GNU Make 3.81.90This program built for i686-pc-msys32; MAKE_MODE=unix
>       0 [main] sh 2880 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
> sh.exe.stackdump
> gcc (GCC) 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125); targ=
> GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.18.50.20080625
>  2008-06-16 13:44:24.000000000 -0400 /bin/msys-1.0.dll
>  2008-06-16 13:44:24.000000000 -0400 /bin/msys-crypto-0.9.8.dll
>  2008-06-16 13:44:24.000000000 -0400 /bin/msys-minires.dll
>  2008-06-16 13:44:24.000000000 -0400 /bin/msys-ssl-0.9.8.dll
>  2008-06-16 13:44:24.000000000 -0400 /bin/msys-z.dll
>  2008-06-16 13:44:24.000000000 -0400 /bin/msysltdl-3.dll
>       0 [main] sh 1580 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
> sh.exe.stackdump

The contents of this sh.exe.stackdump would be good to have if you can
grab it.

> 006-12-17 19:56:16.000000000 -0500 /c/cygwin/bin/gcc.exe
> 2008-07-08 18:14:40.000000000 -0400 /c/cygwin/bin/ld.exe

This indicates that Cygwin is in your PATH.  Not good.  Also make sure
the CYGWIN environment variable is not set.

> HOME=/c/mozilla-build/msys/BOSNT01
> Sysname=MINGW32_NT-5.1  OSTYPE=msys  TERM=msys
> PATH=.:/usr/local/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:/c/WINDOWS/system32:/c/WIN
> DOWS:/c/WINDOWS/system32/WBEM
> $ ls -tx /c/mozilla-build/msys/home
> sh.exe.stackdump

This stackdump is indicating an environment issue.

Earnie Boyd wrote, on 12/1/2008 8:05 AM:
>> $ msysinfo
> Please execute the msysinfo command with an all parameter (msysinfo all).

msysinfo all from mozilla-build pasted below; a few redactions are noted
that shouldn't matter to the issues here (just names of local drives and
machines):

----SNIP---- [MOZILLA-BUILD]

msysinfo-1.3: Send this to the MSYS support list:

       0 [main] sh 5000 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
sh.exe.stackdump
MSYS 1.0.11(0.46/3/2) 2007-01-12 12:05 i686 unknown; targ=
       0 [main] sh 2304 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
sh.exe.stackdump
; ENV=.profile
GNU Make 3.81.90This program built for i686-pc-msys32; MAKE_MODE=unix
       0 [main] sh 5012 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
sh.exe.stackdump
; targ=MINGW32
/bin/msysinfo: ld: command not found
  2008-06-16 13:44:24.000000000 -0400 /bin/msys-1.0.dll
  2008-06-16 13:44:24.000000000 -0400 /bin/msys-crypto-0.9.8.dll
  2008-06-16 13:44:24.000000000 -0400 /bin/msys-minires.dll
  2008-06-16 13:44:24.000000000 -0400 /bin/msys-ssl-0.9.8.dll
  2008-06-16 13:44:24.000000000 -0400 /bin/msys-z.dll
  2008-06-16 13:44:24.000000000 -0400 /bin/msysltdl-3.dll
2008-06-16 13:44:38.000000000 -0400 /local/bin/make.exe
ls: .exe: No such file or directory
ls: .exe: No such file or directory
HOME=/c/Documents and Settings/avk/[redacted]
Sysname=MINGW32_NT-5.1  OSTYPE=msys  TERM=dumb
PATH=/local/bin:/c/mozilla-build//wget:/c/mozilla-build//7zip:/c
/mozilla-build//blat261/full:/c/mozilla-build//python25:/c/mozil
la-build//svn-win32-1.4.2/bin:/c/mozilla-build//upx203w:/c/mozil
la-build//xemacs/XEmacs-21.4.19/i586-pc-win32:/c/mozilla-build//
info-zip:/c/mozilla-build//nsis-2.22:/c/mozilla-build//nsis-2.33
u:/c/mozilla-build//hg:/c/mozilla-build//python25/Scripts:.:/usr
/local/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:/c/Program Files/Microsoft SDKs/Windo
ws/v6.0/bin:/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio 8/Common7/I
DE:/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio 8/VC/BIN:/c/Program
Files/Microsoft Visual Studio 8/Common7/Tools:/c/Program Files/M
icrosoft Visual Studio 8/SDK/v2.0/bin:/c/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/F
ramework/v2.0.50727:/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio 8/V
C/VCPackages:/c/WINDOWS/System32:/c/WINDOWS:/c/WINDOWS/System32/
Wbem:/c/mozilla-build/moztools/bin
$ ls -tx /c/Documents and Settings/avk/[redacted]
msysinfo.txt  sh.exe.stackdump  .bash_history
change-svn-wc-format.py*

7cb0b6a3201cf0622a46f2ed21fd601b */bin/msys-1.0.dll
018281d51c8a3f080549e1bbe3291bb8 */bin/msys-crypto-0.9.8.dll
ab14ab3ccb01dcfadc2856f34feab7ca */bin/msys-minires.dll
3662f62813ee59f7bb8e9b55d71190c9 */bin/msys-ssl-0.9.8.dll
9d26a263af4ac168df419d0efd088b48 */bin/msys-z.dll
cc9d47a802aac283052cc17000afbe03 */bin/msysltdl-3.dll
f7800151a358d5ff4eba24a841c2e003 */local/bin/make.exe
md5sum: .exe: No such file or directory
md5sum: .exe: No such file or directory

In /etc/fstab:
cat: /etc/fstab: No such file or directory

In /etc/profile:
   export PATH=".:/usr/local/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:$PATH"
   export PATH=".:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/mingw/bin:$PATH"
export HOME LOGNAME MSYSTEM HISTFILE
export MAKE_MODE=unix
export PS1='\[\033]0;$MSYSTEM:\w\007

/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS dll major: 1000
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS dll minor: 11
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS dll epoch: 19
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS dll bad signal mask: 19005
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS dll old termios: 5
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS dll malloc env: 28
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS api major: 0
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS api minor: 46
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS shared data: 3
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS dll identifier: msys-1.0
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS mount registry: 2
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS cygnus registry name: msys
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS cygwin registry name: 1.0
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS program options name: Program Options
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS cygwin mount registry name: mounts v2
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS cygdrive flags: cygdrive flags
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS cygdrive prefix: cygdrive prefix
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS cygdrive default prefix:
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS build date: Fri Jan 12 12:05:35 EST 2007
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS CVS tag: MSYS-1_0_11
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS shared id: msys-1.0S3

!C:='C:\Documents and Settings\avk'
!EXITCODE=00000001
ALLUSERSPROFILE='C:\Documents and Settings\All Users'
APPDATA='C:\Documents and Settings\avk\Application Data'
BASH=/bin/sh
BASH_VERSINFO=([0]="2" [1]="04" [2]="0" [3]="1" [4]="release"
[5]="i686-pc-msys")
BASH_VERSION='2.04.0(1)-release'
CLASSPATH='.;"C:\WINDOWS\System32\QTJava.zip";C:\Program
Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\lib\ext\QTJava.zip'
CLIENTNAME=Console
COMMONPROGRAMFILES='C:\Program Files\Common Files'
COMPUTERNAME=[redacted]
COMSPEC='C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe'
CVS_RSH=ssh
DEVENVDIR='C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\Common7\IDE'
DIRSTACK=()
EDITOR=xemacs.exe
EUID=500
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
FRAMEWORKDIR='C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework'
FRAMEWORKSDKDIR='C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\SDK\v2.0'
FRAMEWORKVERSION=v2.0.50727
GROUPS=()
HISTFILE='/c/Documents and Settings/avk/[redacted]/.bash_history'
HOME='/c/Documents and Settings/avk/[redacted]'
HOMEDIR=F:
HOMEDRIVE='\\'
HOMEPATH='[redacted]\avk$'
HOMESHARE='\\[redacted]\avk$'
HOSTNAME=[redacted]
HOSTTYPE=i686
IFS='
'
INCLUDE='C:\Program Files\Microsoft
SDKs\Windows\v6.0\\include;\include\atl;\include;C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\INCLUDE;'
INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
LIB='C:\Program Files\Microsoft
SDKs\Windows\v6.0\\lib;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\VC\LIB;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\SDK\v2.0\lib;;C:\mozilla-build\atlthunk_compat'
LIBPATH='C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727'
LOGNAME=AVK
LOGONSERVER='\\[redacted]'
MACHTYPE=i686-pc-msys
MAKE_MODE=unix
MOZBUILDDIR='C:\mozilla-build\'
MOZILLABUILD='C:\mozilla-build\'
MOZ_MSVCVERSION=8
MOZ_TOOLS='C:\mozilla-build\moztools'
MSVC6KEY='HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\6.0\Setup\Microso
ft Visual C++'
MSVC71KEY='HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.1\Setup\VC'
MSVC8EXPRESSKEY='HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VCExpress\8.0\Setup\VC'
MSVC8KEY='HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\Setup\VC'
MSVC9EXPRESSKEY='HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VCExpress\9.0\Setup\VC'
MSVC9KEY='HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\Setup\VC'
MSVCROOTKEY='HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio'
MSYSTEM=MINGW32
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2
OPTERR=1
OPTIND=1
OS=Windows_NT
OSTYPE=msys
PATH='/local/bin:/c/mozilla-build//wget:/c/mozilla-build//7zip:/
c/mozilla-build//blat261/full:/c/mozilla-build//python25:/c/mozi
lla-build//svn-win32-1.4.2/bin:/c/mozilla-build//upx203w:/c/mozi
lla-build//xemacs/XEmacs-21.4.19/i586-pc-win32:/c/mozilla-build/
/info-zip:/c/mozilla-build//nsis-2.22:/c/mozilla-build//nsis-2.3
3u:/c/mozilla-build//hg:/c/mozilla-build//python25/Scripts:.:/us
r/local/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:/c/Program Files/Microsoft
SDKs/Windows/v6.0/bin:/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio
8/Common7/IDE:/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio
8/VC/BIN:/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio
8/Common7/Tools:/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio
8/SDK/v2.0/bin:/c/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727:/c/
Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio
8/VC/VCPackages:/c/WINDOWS/System32:/c/WINDOWS:/c/WINDOWS/System
32/Wbem:/c/mozilla-build/moztools/bin'
PATHEXT='.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH'
PIPESTATUS=([0]="0")
PPID=6040
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER='x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11,
GenuineIntel'
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
PROCESSOR_REVISION=0f0b
PROFILE='F:\PROFILE'
PROGRAMFILES='C:\Program Files'
PROMPT='$P$G'
PS4='+ '
PWD='/c/Documents and Settings/avk/[redacted]'
QTJAVA='C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\lib\ext\QTJava.zip'
SDK2003SP1KEY='HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MicrosoftSDK\InstalledSDK
s\8F9E5EF3-A9A5-491B-A889-C58EFFECE8B3'
SDK2003SP2KEY='HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MicrosoftSDK\InstalledSDK
s\D2FF9F89-8AA2-4373-8A31-C838BF4DBBE1'
SDK6KEY='HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft
SDKs\Windows\v6.0\WinSDKBuild'
SDKDIR='C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0\'
SDKMINORVER=0
SDKROOTKEY='HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MicrosoftSDK\InstalledSDKs'
SDKVER=6
SESSIONNAME=Console
SHELL=/bin/sh
SHELLOPTS=braceexpand:hashall:interactive-comments
SHLVL=2
SYSTEMDRIVE=C:
SYSTEMROOT='C:\WINDOWS'
TEMP=/tmp
TERM=dumb
TMP=/tmp
UID=500
ULTRAMON_LANGDIR='C:\Program Files\UltraMon\Resources\en'
USEPSDKATL=1
USEPSDKIDL=1
USER=AVK
USERDNSDOMAIN= [redacted]
USERDOMAIN= [redacted]
USERNAME=AVK
USERPROFILE='C:\Documents and Settings\avk'
USESDK=1
VC8EXPRESSDIR='C:\program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC'
VCINSTALLDIR='C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC'
VIM='C:\program Files\vim'
VS80COMNTOOLS='C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\Common7\Tools\'
VSINSTALLDIR='C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8'
WINDIR='C:\WINDOWS'
_=echo

$ msysinfo all >msysinfo.txt   will save this to a file

----SNIP----

 > The contents of this sh.exe.stackdump would be good to have if you can
 > grab it.

And here's the latest sh.exe.stackdump from the mozilla-build installation:

----SNIP---- [MOZILLA-BUILD]

MSYS-1.0.11 Build:2007-01-12 12:05
Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION at eip=60164D96
eax=7FFDF000 ebx=00000000 ecx=00000000 edx=0022F5F8 esi=00000000
edi=0022F58C
ebp=0022F0FC esp=0022F0E4 program=C:\mozilla-build\msys\bin\sh.exe
cs=001B ds=0023 es=0023 fs=003B gs=0000 ss=0023
Stack trace:
Frame     Function  Args
0022F0FC  60164D96  (0022F5F8, 00000001, 00000758, 00000000)
0022F5A8  601272DE  (0022F728, 0022F72C, 0022F730, 0022F5D0)
0022F738  60127AF2  (0A016E30, FFFFFFFF, 0A0166CE, 0040D5FC)
0022F768  0041BDFE  (0A017058, 00000000, 0022F7E8, 004114C5)
0022F7E8  004114D5  (0A016E30, FFFFFFFF, 00000004, 00000000)
0022F848  0040E9C6  (0A016E18, 00000000, FFFFFFFF, 00000004)
0022F8A8  0040F8B8  (0A016F50, 00000000, FFFFFFFF, FFFFFFFF)
0022F8F8  0040FBC4  (0A016F50, 00000000, FFFFFFFF, FFFFFFFF)
0022F958  0040EBE2  (0A016F50, 00000000, FFFFFFFF, FFFFFFFF)
0022F9A8  004499BB  (0A0129A8, 00422DC6, 00000004, 00000000)
0022FA04  0042313C  (0A0129A8, 00000000, 0022FA44, 6012CFC4)
0022FA64  004267D1  (0A012958, 0022FAF8, 00000000, 0022FC80)
0022FC14  00426E27  (0A0169A0, 00000000, 00000000, 0022FC7C)
0022FC84  00428404  (0A016990, 0000001F, 0022FCE4, 004489EA)
0022FCC4  00428741  (0A0168E8, 0000001F, 0022FD54, 00000010)
0022FCE4  00429177  (0A0168E8, 00000000, 0022FD24, 6012CFC4)
End of stack trace (more stack frames may be present)

----SNIP----

And now msysinfo all from my free-standing msys installation:

----SNIP---- [MSYS]

msysinfo-1.3: Send this to the MSYS support list:

MSYS 1.0.10(0.46/3/2) 2004-03-15 07:17 i686 unknown; targ=MINGW32
; ENV=.profile
GNU Make version 3.79.1,Built for i686-pc-msys; MAKE_MODE=unix
; targ=MINGW32
    789320 Tue Mar 16 14:32:49 2004 /bin/msys-1.0.dll
     52064 Thu Jan 02 08:05:27 2003 /bin/msysltdl-3.dll
    135680 Tue Mar 16 14:32:48 2004 /bin/make.exe
HOME=/c/soft/msys/1.0/bin/[redacted]
Sysname=MINGW32_NT-5.1  OSTYPE=msys  TERM=msys
PATH=.:/usr/local/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:/c/windows/system32:/c/win
dows:/c/windows/system32/wbem
$ ls -tx /c/soft/msys/1.0/bin/[redacted]
sh.exe.stackdump  .bash_history

bbfe534c85236d94683f3461829ef10b */bin/msys-1.0.dll
7c2d7d01f6a96b73aeea7738faaaa9c5 */bin/msysltdl-3.dll
0e7941487ca8156a25b46b0b8f9a8bd9 */bin/make.exe

In /etc/fstab:
c:/mingw /mingw

In /etc/profile:
   export PATH=".:/usr/local/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:$PATH"
   export PATH=".:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/mingw/bin:$PATH"
export HOME LOGNAME MSYSTEM HISTFILE
export MAKE_MODE=unix
export PS1='\[\033]0;$MSYSTEM:\w\007

/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS dll major: 1000
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS dll minor: 10
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS dll epoch: 19
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS dll bad signal mask: 19005
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS dll old termios: 5
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS dll malloc env: 28
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS api major: 0
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS api minor: 46
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS shared data: 3
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS dll identifier: cygwin1
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS mount registry: 2
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS cygnus registry name: msys
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS cygwin registry name: 1.0
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS program options name: Program Options
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS cygwin mount registry name: mounts v2
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS cygdrive flags: cygdrive flags
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS cygdrive prefix: cygdrive prefix
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS cygdrive default prefix:
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS build date: Mon Mar 15 07:17:24 EST 2004
/bin/msys-1.0.dll:%%% MSYS shared id: cygwin1S3

!C:='C:\soft\msys\1.0\bin'
ALLUSERSPROFILE='C:\Documents and Settings\All Users'
APPDATA='C:\Documents and Settings\avk\Application Data'
BASH=/usr/bin/sh
BASH_VERSINFO=([0]="2" [1]="04" [2]="0" [3]="1" [4]="release"
[5]="i686-pc-msys")
BASH_VERSION='2.04.0(1)-release'
BGCOLOR=LightYellow
CLASSPATH='.;"C:\WINDOWS\System32\QTJava.zip";C:\Program
Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\lib\ext\QTJava.zip'
CLIENTNAME=Console
COLORFGBG='default;default'
COLORTERM=rxvt
COMMONPROGRAMFILES='C:\Program Files\Common Files'
COMPUTERNAME=[redacted]
COMSPEC='C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe'
DIRSTACK=()
DISPLAY=:0
EUID=500
FGCOLOR=Navy
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
GROUPS=()
HISTFILE=/c/soft/msys/1.0/bin/[redacted]/.bash_history
HOME=/c/soft/msys/1.0/bin/[redacted]
HOMEDIR=F:
HOMEDRIVE='\\'
HOMEPATH='[redacted]\avk$'
HOMESHARE='\\[redacted]\avk$'
HOSTNAME=[redacted]
HOSTTYPE=i686
IFS='
'
LOGNAME=AVK
LOGONSERVER='\\[redacted]'
MACHTYPE=i686-pc-msys
MAKE_MODE=unix
MINGW32BGCOLOR=LightYellow
MINGW32FGCOLOR=Navy
MSYSBGCOLOR=White
MSYSFGCOLOR=Black
MSYSTEM=MINGW32
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2
OPTERR=1
OPTIND=1
OS=Windows_NT
OSTYPE=msys
PATH=.:/usr/local/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:/c/windows/system32:/c/win
dows:/c/windows/system32/wbem
PATHEXT='.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH'
PIPESTATUS=([0]="0")
PPID=2036
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER='x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11,
GenuineIntel'
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
PROCESSOR_REVISION=0f0b
PROFILE='F:\PROFILE'
PROGRAMFILES='C:\Program Files'
PROMPT='$P$G'
PS4='+ '
PWD=/c/soft/msys/1.0/bin/[redacted]
QTJAVA='C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\lib\ext\QTJava.zip'
SESSIONNAME=Console
SHELL=/bin/sh
SHELLOPTS=braceexpand:hashall:interactive-comments
SHLVL=2
SYSTEMDRIVE=C:
SYSTEMROOT='C:\WINDOWS'
TEMP=/tmp
TERM=msys
TMP=/tmp
UID=500
ULTRAMON_LANGDIR='C:\Program Files\UltraMon\Resources\en'
USER=AVK
USERDNSDOMAIN=[redacted]
USERDOMAIN=[redacted]
USERNAME=AVK
USERPROFILE='C:\Documents and Settings\avk'
VC8EXPRESSDIR='C:\program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC'
VIM='C:\program Files\vim'
VS80COMNTOOLS='C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\Common7\Tools\'
WINDIR='C:\WINDOWS'
WINDOWID=167838912
_=echo

$ msysinfo all >msysinfo.txt   will save this to a file

----SNIP----

And here's the stack dump from the msys installation:

----SNIP---- [MSYS]

MSYS-1.0.10 Build:2004-03-15 07:17
Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION at eip=71070C43
eax=7FFDF000 ebx=00000000 ecx=00000000 edx=0022F228 esi=00000000
edi=0022F048
ebp=0022EBEC esp=0022EBC8 program=C:\msys\1.0\bin\sh.exe
cs=001B ds=0023 es=0023 fs=003B gs=0000 ss=0023
Stack trace:
Frame     Function  Args
0022EBEC  71070C43  (00000000, 0000001C, 00000744, 00000000)
0022F0A8  7102AC7D  (0022F228, 0022F22C, 0022F230, 0022F0D0)
0022F238  7102B532  (0022F2B0, 00000000, 0A0153F8, 71047D94)
0022F268  0041BDFE  (00000000, 00000000, 0022F2B8, 00422E86)
0022F2B8  00422E92  (0A015410, 00000000, 0022F2F8, 71031450)
0022F318  004267D1  (0A015350, 0022F3AC, 00000000, 0022F534)
0022F4C8  00426E27  (0A015340, 00000000, 00000000, 0022F530)
0022F538  00428404  (0A015330, 0000001F, 0022F598, 004489EA)
0022F578  00428741  (0A015278, 0000001F, 0A014D98, 71031450)
0022F598  00429177  (0A015278, 00000000, 0022F5D8, 71031450)
0022F608  004115EE  (0A0151E8, FFFFFFFF, FFFFFFFF, 00000000)
0022F668  0040E9C6  (0A0151D0, 00000000, FFFFFFFF, FFFFFFFF)
0022F6B8  004499BB  (0A014D98, 00422DC6, 00000004, 00000000)
0022F714  0042313C  (0A014D98, 00000001, 0022F754, 71031450)
0022F774  004267D1  (0A014DC0, 0022F808, 00000001, 00000000)
0022F924  00426E27  (0A014B88, 00000001, 00000000, 0022F9BC)
End of stack trace (more stack frames may be present)

----SNIP----

>> 006-12-17 19:56:16.000000000 -0500 /c/cygwin/bin/gcc.exe
>> 2008-07-08 18:14:40.000000000 -0400 /c/cygwin/bin/ld.exe
> This indicates that Cygwin is in your PATH.  Not good.  Also make sure
> the CYGWIN environment variable is not set.

I have taken cygwin out of my path and environment for both the
free-standing msys and the mozilla-build msys. Still no luck.

>> HOME=/c/mozilla-build/msys/BOSNT01
>> Sysname=MINGW32_NT-5.1  OSTYPE=msys  TERM=msys
>> PATH=.:/usr/local/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:/c/WINDOWS/system32:/c/WIN
>> DOWS:/c/WINDOWS/system32/WBEM
>> $ ls -tx /c/mozilla-build/msys/home
>> sh.exe.stackdump
> This stackdump is indicating an environment issue.

Thanks for any further suggestions!

Cesar Strauss wrote, on 12/1/2008 3:08 AM:

> Adam Rosi-Kessel wrote:
>>> To build a MinGW cross-compiler, please try MinGW's own automated script:
>>>
>>> Cross-Hosted MinGW Build Tool
>>> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=12644
>> Similar result with MinGW's script:
> What is in you PATH? Try to simplify it to the maximum, to something like:
>
> On Cygwin:
> PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem
>
> On MSYS:
> PATH=/mingw/bin:/bin:/c/WINDOWS/system32:/c/WINDOWS:/c/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem
>
> Also, check for multiple versions of msys-1.0.dll in your PATH.

I tried both of these suggestions; same result. Only one msys*dll in the
PATH; no extra directories in the PATH.

Adam

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: Msys sh stackdump during make

Quoting Adam Rosi-Kessel <[hidden email]>:

> Earnie Boyd wrote, on 12/1/2008 8:05 AM:
>>> $ msysinfo
>> Please execute the msysinfo command with an all parameter (msysinfo all).
>
> msysinfo all from mozilla-build pasted below; a few redactions are noted
> that shouldn't matter to the issues here (just names of local drives and
> machines):

Spaces in your environment variables such as HOME and PATH are your
likely source of issue.

> ----SNIP---- [MOZILLA-BUILD]
>
> msysinfo-1.3: Send this to the MSYS support list:

--8<--

> HOME=/c/Documents and Settings/avk/[redacted]
> Sysname=MINGW32_NT-5.1  OSTYPE=msys  TERM=dumb
> PATH=/local/bin:/c/mozilla-build//wget:/c/mozilla-build//7zip:/c
> /mozilla-build//blat261/full:/c/mozilla-build//python25:/c/mozil
> la-build//svn-win32-1.4.2/bin:/c/mozilla-build//upx203w:/c/mozil
> la-build//xemacs/XEmacs-21.4.19/i586-pc-win32:/c/mozilla-build//
> info-zip:/c/mozilla-build//nsis-2.22:/c/mozilla-build//nsis-2.33
> u:/c/mozilla-build//hg:/c/mozilla-build//python25/Scripts:.:/usr
> /local/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:/c/Program Files/Microsoft SDKs/Windo
> ws/v6.0/bin:/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio 8/Common7/I
> DE:/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio 8/VC/BIN:/c/Program
> Files/Microsoft Visual Studio 8/Common7/Tools:/c/Program Files/M
> icrosoft Visual Studio 8/SDK/v2.0/bin:/c/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/F
> ramework/v2.0.50727:/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio 8/V
> C/VCPackages:/c/WINDOWS/System32:/c/WINDOWS:/c/WINDOWS/System32/
> Wbem:/c/mozilla-build/moztools/bin
--8<--

Another thing, what is with the double // in the paths of PATH; extra
work has to be executed because of it.  Not an issue for your problem
though.

Earnie Boyd wrote, on 12/2/2008 7:49 AM:
>>> Please execute the msysinfo command with an all parameter (msysinfo all).
>> msysinfo all from mozilla-build pasted below; a few redactions are noted
>> that shouldn't matter to the issues here (just names of local drives and
>> machines):
> Spaces in your environment variables such as HOME and PATH are your
> likely source of issue.

So I tried to fix this:

$ env | grep " "
$ set | grep " "
BASH_VERSINFO=([0]="2" [1]="04" [2]="0" [3]="1" [4]="release"
[5]="i686-pc-msys")
PIPESTATUS=([0]="0" [1]="1")

(I also grepped for tabs, no different).

It doesn't seem possible to unset BASH_VERSINFO, and PIPESTATUS gets
re-created automatically. Otherwise, I've unset or remove all
environmental variables containing spaces.

It still crashes:

# make -f songbird.mk
Songbird Build System
svn up /home/trunk/dependencies/vendor/mozbrowser
At revision 10280.
mkdir -p /home/trunk/compiled /home/trunk/compiled/dist
cd /home/trunk/compiled && /home/trunk/configure
       0 [main] sh 3980 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
sh.exe.stackdump
       0 [main] sh 5092 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
sh.exe.stackdump
/home/trunk/configure: line 49:  5092 Segmentation fault      (core
dumped) ( set +x; test -n "`(eval $as_var=C; export $as_var) 2>&1`" )

> Another thing, what is with the double // in the paths of PATH; extra
> work has to be executed because of it.  Not an issue for your problem
> though.

I fixed this too -- actually removed everything from my PATH but the
essentials. Still no luck.

Adam

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: Msys sh stackdump during make

Earnie Boyd

Quoting Adam Rosi-Kessel <[hidden email]>:

>>> msysinfo all from mozilla-build pasted below; a few redactions are noted
>>> that shouldn't matter to the issues here (just names of local drives and
>>> machines):
>> Spaces in your environment variables such as HOME and PATH are your
>> likely source of issue.
>
> So I tried to fix this:
>
> $ env | grep " "
> $ set | grep " "
> BASH_VERSINFO=([0]="2" [1]="04" [2]="0" [3]="1" [4]="release"
> [5]="i686-pc-msys")
> PIPESTATUS=([0]="0" [1]="1")
>
> (I also grepped for tabs, no different).
>
> It doesn't seem possible to unset BASH_VERSINFO, and PIPESTATUS gets
> re-created automatically. Otherwise, I've unset or remove all
> environmental variables containing spaces.
>
> It still crashes:
>
> # make -f songbird.mk
> Songbird Build System
> svn up /home/trunk/dependencies/vendor/mozbrowser
> At revision 10280.
> mkdir -p /home/trunk/compiled /home/trunk/compiled/dist
> cd /home/trunk/compiled && /home/trunk/configure
>       0 [main] sh 3980 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
> sh.exe.stackdump
>       0 [main] sh 5092 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
> sh.exe.stackdump
> /home/trunk/configure: line 49:  5092 Segmentation fault      (core
> dumped) ( set +x; test -n "`(eval $as_var=C; export $as_var) 2>&1`" )
>
>> Another thing, what is with the double // in the paths of PATH; extra
>> work has to be executed because of it.  Not an issue for your problem
>> though.
>
> I fixed this too -- actually removed everything from my PATH but the
> essentials. Still no luck.

You did disable the camera software that Cesar pointed you to correct?
So removing these variables, does ``cd $HOME; pwd -W'' have spaces?

Earnie Boyd wrote, on 12/3/2008 10:50 PM:

>>       0 [main] sh 3980 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
>> sh.exe.stackdump
>>       0 [main] sh 5092 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
>> sh.exe.stackdump
>> /home/trunk/configure: line 49:  5092 Segmentation fault      (core
>> dumped) ( set +x; test -n "`(eval $as_var=C; export $as_var) 2>&1`" )
>>> Another thing, what is with the double // in the paths of PATH; extra
>>> work has to be executed because of it.  Not an issue for your problem
>>> though.
>> I fixed this too -- actually removed everything from my PATH but the
>> essentials. Still no luck.
> You did disable the camera software that Cesar pointed you to correct?

That's right -- I never had that camera software. I searched for every
possible file/registry key/etc. that might relate to it and found no
sign of it. I've never had anything to do with a Logitech camera, on
this computer or the last one I used (which had the same problem).

 > So removing these variables, does ``cd $HOME; pwd -W'' have spaces?

$ cd $HOME ; pwd -W
c:/mozilla-build/msys/home

Adam Rosi-Kessel wrote, on 12/4/2008 9:24 AM:
> Earnie Boyd wrote, on 12/3/2008 10:50 PM:
>>>       0 [main] sh 3980 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
>>> sh.exe.stackdump
>>>       0 [main] sh 5092 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
>>> sh.exe.stackdump
>>> /home/trunk/configure: line 49:  5092 Segmentation fault      (core
>>> dumped) ( set +x; test -n "`(eval $as_var=C; export $as_var) 2>&1`" )

Incidentally, I should mention that just running

set +x; test -n "`(eval $as_var=C; export $as_var) 2>&1`"

at the shell prompt does not cause any problems.