Re: MinGW for Windows 7 64 bit

Craig Palmer
Hi,

I know that the user list is for the windows 32 bit API, but could you please point me in the right direction for getting some advice on running minGW in a 64 bit environment?

I have been trying to locate a MinGW installer for Windows 7 64 bit to use with Python 2.6 (or 2.5)

What I have found is:

mingw-w64-bin_i686-mingw_20100414.zip

But I think I need to compile it before I can utilise it?

Is there a installer version available? Or can someone make available a version compiled for Windows 7 64 bit?

I have tried looking in the forums and other locations but I can't find anything (that I can understand). I am not a programmer and struggle with the terminology used and content.

Alternatively is there a step by step guide to installing MinGW into a Windows 64 bit environment?

Thanks in advance.

Craig

This email, including attachments, is intended for the recipient only. The email may contain confidential or privileged information or be subject to copyright. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose, copy or use any part of the e-mail. Any opinion stated in this e-mail is not the opinion of Wollongong City Council unless stated or apparent from its contents. Wollongong City Council believes this e-mail to be free of virus or defect however the recipient is responsible to ensure it is virus-free.

If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the e-mail immediately.

Wollongong City Council respects your privacy and our Privacy Management Plan is located at: www.wollongong.nsw.gov.au

Re: MinGW for Windows 7 64 bit

K. Frank
Hello Craig -

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Craig Palmer
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know that the user list is for the windows 32 bit API, but could you
> please point me in the right direction for getting some advice on running
> minGW in a 64 bit environment?

I also apologize if my response is off-topic for this list.

> I have been trying to locate a MinGW installer for Windows 7 64 bit to use
> with Python 2.6 (or 2.5)
>
> What I have found is:
>
> mingw-w64-bin_i686-mingw_20100414.zip
>
> But I think I need to compile it before I can utilise it?

I would assume that you _don't_ need to compile it.  My guess is that the "bin"
in the name means that it is the whole "binary" package (i.e., executables and
compiled object libraries, as well as headers and the like).

I few months ago I downloaded the file:

   mingw-w64-bin_i686-mingw_20091231.zip

(presumably an earlier version of what you got).

I unzipped and was able to us it to compile some simple test programs.

> Is there a installer version available? Or can someone make available a
> version compiled for Windows 7 64 bit?

In my case the "installation" process was to unzip the file, and then set some
environment variables (i.e., add mingw's "bin" directory to the path).  My
expectation is that what you have already is compiled for 64-bit windows.

> I have tried looking in the forums and other locations but I can't find
> anything (that I can understand). I am not a programmer and struggle with
> the terminology used and content.

No disrespect intended, but if you're not a programmer, what is it you are
planning to do with mingw?  (If you're planning to learn programming, then
good for you, and good luck.)

> Alternatively is there a step by step guide to installing MinGW into a
> Windows 64 bit environment?

I could probably give you some pointers.  But I did have some issues with the
version of 64-bit mingw that I downloaded, so I switched over to a
32-bit version.

This may also make sense for you.  You do not _need_ 64-bit mingw in order
to use it on 64-bit windows.  I am running 64-bit windows 7, and it has a 32-bit
compatibility mode (just like way back when the new 32-bit windows could
run 16-bit applications).

So you can run the 32-bit versions of the mingw tools (compiler, etc.), and
after you use 32-bit mingw to compile your programs into 32-bit executable
applications, you can run those 32-bit applications on 64-bit windows.  This
is exactly what I have been doing.

So -- depending on what you are trying to accomplish -- you may be better off
using 32-bit mingw.  It's presumably more mature and stable than the 64-bit
version, so, if you're just planning to do some garden-variety programming, then
the 32-bit version may be less of a hassle.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Craig

Good luck.

K. Frank

Re: MinGW for Windows 7 64 bit

Craig Palmer
Thank you for your prompt response,

Again my apologies if I am going against the user list protocol.

1. I have unzipped the file and will see if I can follow your suggestions and update the path statement to run include the bin location.

2. We are running some modelling software (ANUGA Australian National University and Geoscience Australia) that uses MinGW. We have been limited in the size of our models by the memory limitations of Windows XP (32 bit). So we are hoping to migrate to the Windows 7 64 bit environment to overcome this limitation. The software is used extensively under linux (ubuntu) in native 64 bit (not by us as we are a windows site) and they currently only have an installer for 32 bit windows. We have been told that it should run with Windows 7 64 bit if we get all the components installed in 64 bit versions. We have installed the 32 bit version and it runs under Windows 7 but in 32 bit mode so we still have the memory limitations. The other components used by ANUGA are: Python, Numpy, ScientificPython, VTK, NetCDF & Pscyo. I have found windows 64 bit installers for each of these except Psyco which looks like is only 32 bit, but ANUGA will run without Psyco just slower, so it should not be a problem?

I hope all this makes sense and I will let you know if I have any success.

Here's the advice I got from Geoscience:

"As you have found out, you need 64bit python to go with your 64bit Windows7.  You also know that you need to install all the dependencies required for ANUGA, such as numpy, after installing the 64bit python.  The kicker is that if any of those dependencies have C code in them, they must also be built for 64bit python.  The thing to look for is if any of the binary install packages specify a 32/64bit architecture - if they do make sure you install the 64bit version.  You are probably also aware that a dependency package must also match the version of python you have installed".

Thanks

Craig

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Craig Palmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know that the user list is for the windows 32 bit API, but could you
> please point me in the right direction for getting some advice on
> running minGW in a 64 bit environment?

I also apologize if my response is off-topic for this list.

> I have been trying to locate a MinGW installer for Windows 7 64 bit to
> use with Python 2.6 (or 2.5)
>
> What I have found is:
>
> mingw-w64-bin_i686-mingw_20100414.zip
>
> But I think I need to compile it before I can utilise it?

I would assume that you _don't_ need to compile it.  My guess is that the "bin"
in the name means that it is the whole "binary" package (i.e., executables and compiled object libraries, as well as headers and the like).

I few months ago I downloaded the file:

   mingw-w64-bin_i686-mingw_20091231.zip

(presumably an earlier version of what you got).

I unzipped and was able to us it to compile some simple test programs.

> Is there a installer version available? Or can someone make available
> a version compiled for Windows 7 64 bit?

In my case the "installation" process was to unzip the file, and then set some environment variables (i.e., add mingw's "bin" directory to the path).  My expectation is that what you have already is compiled for 64-bit windows.

> I have tried looking in the forums and other locations but I can't
> find anything (that I can understand). I am not a programmer and
> struggle with the terminology used and content.

No disrespect intended, but if you're not a programmer, what is it you are planning to do with mingw?  (If you're planning to learn programming, then good for you, and good luck.)

> Alternatively is there a step by step guide to installing MinGW into a
> Windows 64 bit environment?

I could probably give you some pointers.  But I did have some issues with the version of 64-bit mingw that I downloaded, so I switched over to a 32-bit version.

This may also make sense for you.  You do not _need_ 64-bit mingw in order to use it on 64-bit windows.  I am running 64-bit windows 7, and it has a 32-bit compatibility mode (just like way back when the new 32-bit windows could run 16-bit applications).

So you can run the 32-bit versions of the mingw tools (compiler, etc.), and after you use 32-bit mingw to compile your programs into 32-bit executable applications, you can run those 32-bit applications on 64-bit windows.  This is exactly what I have been doing.

So -- depending on what you are trying to accomplish -- you may be better off using 32-bit mingw.  It's presumably more mature and stable than the 64-bit version, so, if you're just planning to do some garden-variety programming, then the 32-bit version may be less of a hassle.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Craig

Good luck.

K. Frank

This email, including attachments, is intended for the recipient only. The email may contain confidential or privileged information or be subject to copyright. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose, copy or use any part of the e-mail. Any opinion stated in this e-mail is not the opinion of Wollongong City Council unless stated or apparent from its contents. Wollongong City Council believes this e-mail to be free of virus or defect however the recipient is responsible to ensure it is virus-free.

If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the e-mail immediately.

Wollongong City Council respects your privacy and our Privacy Management Plan is located at: www.wollongong.nsw.gov.au

Re: MinGW for Windows 7 64 bit

Chris Wilson-4
Hi Craig,

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010, Craig Palmer wrote:

> "As you have found out, you need 64bit python to go with your 64bit
> Windows7.  You also know that you need to install all the dependencies
> required for ANUGA, such as numpy, after installing the 64bit python."

Wait a second. Python is normally built with MSVC, not MinGW. "For
Microsoft Visual C++, which is the compiler with which official Python
releases are built, the source tree contains solutions/project files."

   [http://docs.python.org/using/windows.html]

Unless you want to become a Python hacker, you might well consider
switching to MSVC as your compiler. You might want to read the
"introduction" section of
[http://uucode.com/texts/python-mingw/python-mingw.html]
which says:

"it is possible; ... you must not do it unless you know for sure that you
must do it; ... you must have a good knowledge of C and of debugging
coredumps; ... Finally, working result was thrown away. Reason is simple:
number of fixes is too big and process should be performed by experienced
person. It is good for fun, but it is not good for business."

Also, if ANUGA is a Python program then it may be sufficient to just
download and install a 64-bit python built by someone else, and install
the required Python libraries on top of that (building any compiled
ones with either MSVC or MinGW).

Cheers, Chris.
--
_ ___ __     _
  / __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <0000 at qwirx.com> - Cambs UK |

Re: MinGW for Windows 7 64 bit

Craig Palmer
Thanks Chris,

I will pass that on and see if they can action your suggestion.

  / __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <0000 at qwirx.com> - Cambs UK | / (_/ ,\/ _/ /_ \ | Security/C/C++/Java/Perl/SQL/HTML Developer | \ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU-free your mind-and your software |

This email, including attachments, is intended for the recipient only. The email may contain confidential or privileged information or be subject to copyright. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose, copy or use any part of the e-mail. Any opinion stated in this e-mail is not the opinion of Wollongong City Council unless stated or apparent from its contents. Wollongong City Council believes this e-mail to be free of virus or defect however the recipient is responsible to ensure it is virus-free.

If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the e-mail immediately.

Wollongong City Council respects your privacy and our Privacy Management Plan is located at: www.wollongong.nsw.gov.au

Re: MinGW for Windows 7 64 bit

K. Frank
Hello Craig -

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 11:51 PM, Craig Palmer
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thank you for your prompt response,
>
> Again my apologies if I am going against the user list protocol.
>
> 1. I have unzipped the file and will see if I can follow your suggestions and update the path statement to run include the bin location.
>
> 2. We are running some modelling software (ANUGA Australian National University and Geoscience Australia) that uses MinGW.

Do you know, precisely, what you need mingw for?  Do you actually need
to compile
something (i.e., take source code -- the original programming language
-- and translate
it into machine language so that you have a binary executable)?  Or,
is your ANUGA
software already compiled for 64 bits, but it somehow "uses MinGW"?

If the latter, you probably only need the mingw dll's (dynamic link
libraries) that
programs compiled with mingw need to have available at run time.  In this case,
you would typically add the directory containing the dll's (probably something
like ..\mingw\bin) to your path, or you could copy the dll's to the
directory containing
the programs that need them.

> We have been limited in the size of our models by the memory limitations of Windows XP (32 bit). So we are hoping to migrate to the Windows 7 64 bit environment to overcome this limitation. The software is used extensively under linux (ubuntu) in native 64 bit (not by us as we are a windows site) and they currently only have an installer for 32 bit windows.

This makes it sound like you need to compile the ANUGA software for
64-bit windows.
(You said "they currently only have an installer for 32 bit windows.")
 Is this right?

> We have been told that it should run with Windows 7 64 bit if we get all the components installed in 64 bit versions. We have installed the 32 bit version and it runs under Windows 7 but in 32 bit mode so we still have the memory limitations. The other components used by ANUGA are: Python, Numpy, ScientificPython, VTK, NetCDF & Pscyo. I have found windows 64 bit installers for each of these except Psyco which looks like is only 32 bit, but ANUGA will run without Psyco just slower, so it should not be a problem?

This makes it sound like you don't need to compile any of the other
packages, since
you say you have 64-bit versions of all of them.  Is this right?

> I hope all this makes sense and I will let you know if I have any success.
>
> Here's the advice I got from Geoscience:
>
> "As you have found out, you need 64bit python to go with your 64bit Windows7.  You also know that you need to install all the dependencies required for ANUGA, such as numpy, after installing the 64bit python.  The kicker is that if any of those dependencies have C code in them, they must also be built for 64bit python.  The thing to look for is if any of the binary install packages specify a 32/64bit architecture - if they do make sure you install the 64bit version.  You are probably also aware that a dependency package must also match the version of python you have installed".

What advice does Geoscience give you about the ANUGA software?  Do
they tell you that
you need to rebuild (i.e., compile) it for 64-bit windows, or do they
say that you can use the
ANUGA software out of the box, provided you get all of the
dependencies squared away?

If "all" you need to do is recompile the ANUGA stuff with 64-bit
mingw, it ought to be
doable.  Given that the software works under native 64-bit linux, and
assuming that
the 32-bit windows version you mention is a version that was built
with 32-bit mingw,
there is a good chance that the ANUGA software might build correctly
using 64-bit
mingw, although it will probably require some effort on your part, and
you'll probably
have to play around a little to get your environment properly configured.

Try to find out in more detail exactly what it is you need to do
(maybe from Geoscience).

Like I said before, I did manage to build some small test programs using 64-bit
mingw, so I may be able to help you a little, if that's part of what
you need to do.

K. Frank

> Thanks
>
> Craig

Thanks again for the response, would you mind if I forwarded your email onto the technical people at Geoscience? As your questions go beyond my understanding. I have tried to answer what I could below.

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 11:51 PM, Craig Palmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thank you for your prompt response,
>
> Again my apologies if I am going against the user list protocol.
>
> 1. I have unzipped the file and will see if I can follow your suggestions and update the path statement to run include the bin location.
>
> 2. We are running some modelling software (ANUGA Australian National University and Geoscience Australia) that uses MinGW.

Do you know, precisely, what you need mingw for?  Do you actually need to compile something (i.e., take source code -- the original programming language
-- and translate
it into machine language so that you have a binary executable)?  Or, is your ANUGA software already compiled for 64 bits, but it somehow "uses MinGW"?

If the latter, you probably only need the mingw dll's (dynamic link
libraries) that
programs compiled with mingw need to have available at run time.  In this case, you would typically add the directory containing the dll's (probably something like ..\mingw\bin) to your path, or you could copy the dll's to the directory containing the programs that need them.

I have added c:\mingw\bin to my path statement. The ANUGA software has a compile_all.py script that we have to run after installing all the dependencies. Then we run a test_all.py script to make sure it is behaving properly. I have run these scripts but they do not get anywhere. I did receive one error message which was:
Warning (from warnings module): File C:\Python26\Lib\site-pacakages\numpy\core\__init__.py, line 5 import multiarray
Warnin: Windows 64 bits support is experimental, and only available for testing. You are advised not to use it in production. CRASHES ARE TO BE EXPECTED - PLEASE REPORT THEM TO NUMPY DEVELOPERS
But I cannot reproduce this error, now it just runs the script without seemingly doing anything.

> We have been limited in the size of our models by the memory limitations of Windows XP (32 bit). So we are hoping to migrate to the Windows 7 64 bit environment to overcome this limitation. The software is used extensively under linux (ubuntu) in native 64 bit (not by us as we are a windows site) and they currently only have an installer for 32 bit windows.

This makes it sound like you need to compile the ANUGA software for 64-bit windows.
(You said "they currently only have an installer for 32 bit windows.")  Is this right?

We have a 32 bit windows installer which installs all the dependencies (Python first) and ANUGA in one go. So what I have done is just installed Python2.6 64 bit, then all the 64 bit dependencies one after the other. Then ANUGA, which they tell me will run in 64 bit on a 64 bit system (I will confirm this with Geoscience).

Then I have added the following to my PATH statement:
C:\Python26;C:\Python26\DLLs;C:\MinGW\bin

> We have been told that it should run with Windows 7 64 bit if we get all the components installed in 64 bit versions. We have installed the 32 bit version and it runs under Windows 7 but in 32 bit mode so we still have the memory limitations. The other components used by ANUGA are: Python, Numpy, ScientificPython, VTK, NetCDF & Pscyo. I have found windows 64 bit installers for each of these except Psyco which looks like is only 32 bit, but ANUGA will run without Psyco just slower, so it should not be a problem?

This makes it sound like you don't need to compile any of the other packages, since you say you have 64-bit versions of all of them.  Is this right?

Yes that's correct, and why I wasn't sure of MinGW as I had 64bit installer versions of the other packages:

python-2.6.5.amd64.msi
numpy-1.3.0.win-amd64-py2.6.msi
netCDF4-0.9.1.win-amd64-py2.6.exe
ScientificPython-2.9.0.win-amd64-py2.6.exe
matplotlib-0.99.1.win-amd64-py2.6.exe
VTK-5.4.2-win-amd64-py2.6.zip

> I hope all this makes sense and I will let you know if I have any success.
>
> Here's the advice I got from Geoscience:
>
> "As you have found out, you need 64bit python to go with your 64bit Windows7.  You also know that you need to install all the dependencies required for ANUGA, such as numpy, after installing the 64bit python.  The kicker is that if any of those dependencies have C code in them, they must also be built for 64bit python.  The thing to look for is if any of the binary install packages specify a 32/64bit architecture - if they do make sure you install the 64bit version.  You are probably also aware that a dependency package must also match the version of python you have installed".

What advice does Geoscience give you about the ANUGA software?  Do they tell you that you need to rebuild (i.e., compile) it for 64-bit windows, or do they say that you can use the ANUGA software out of the box, provided you get all of the dependencies squared away?

Yes but I will conform

If "all" you need to do is recompile the ANUGA stuff with 64-bit mingw, it ought to be doable.  Given that the software works under native 64-bit linux, and assuming that the 32-bit windows version you mention is a version that was built with 32-bit mingw, there is a good chance that the ANUGA software might build correctly using 64-bit mingw, although it will probably require some effort on your part, and you'll probably have to play around a little to get your environment properly configured.

Try to find out in more detail exactly what it is you need to do (maybe from Geoscience).

Like I said before, I did manage to build some small test programs using 64-bit mingw, so I may be able to help you a little, if that's part of what you need to do.

Here is the latest response from Geoscience:

Hi Craig, compile_all requires gcc which comes from MinGW. If you're using a 64-bit machine, you need the 64 bit version of gcc. Unfortunately we don't have access to Windows 7 at work and it's difficult for us to test it here.

You need to setup an environmental variable called PYTHONPATH and add this path to it:

...\anuga_core\source\anuga

where ... depends on the setup on your system.

I'll get back to you after I have tried this.

Thanks
Craig

K. Frank

> Thanks
>
> Craig

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 8:12 PM, Craig Palmer
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks again for the response, would you mind if I forwarded your email onto the technical people at Geoscience? As your questions go beyond my understanding. I have tried to answer what I could below.

Feel free to send anything relevant to Geoscience.  (This is, in any
event, a public
mailing list.)

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 11:51 PM, Craig Palmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have added c:\mingw\bin to my path statement. The ANUGA software has a compile_all.py script that we have to run after installing all the dependencies.

Well, since you have a compile_all.py python script, you must be
compiling something,
presumably the ANUGA software.  One guesses that the compile_all
script calls gcc
(provided by mingw package) to compile various ANUGA programs and/or libraries.

You should find out from the Geoscience folks what it is that is being
compiled, and
what language (or languages) those things are written in.  Fortran?  C++?

> Here is the latest response from Geoscience:
>
> Hi Craig, compile_all requires gcc which comes from MinGW. If you're using a 64-bit machine, you need the 64 bit version of gcc. Unfortunately we don't have access to Windows 7 at work and it's difficult for us to test it here.

So the questions are:  What is it that gcc is going to compile (and in
what languages)?
How does the ANUGA software interact with all of those other packages
you mentioned?
Does it read and write files and then run programs from those other
packages?  Or does
it interact directly with the code of those other packages?  (For
example, does the
ANUGA package include python bindings that need to be compiled?)

Once we know better how mingw fits into the ANUGA system, we'll be able to give
you advice on how to get things set up with mingw.

> Thanks
> Craig

Good luck.

K. Frank

Re: MinGW for Windows 7 64 bit

Craig Palmer
Hello again (I don't know your name or whether you are Mr/Mrs/Ms etc),

I have gotten a little further with the installation.

I have added the PYTHONPATH system variable to the computer.

PYTHONPATH C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\anuga

And now I have been able to capture the error message generated from running the compile _all.py script. See attached for a copy of the script, and below for the error message.

Looks like now it's a problem with Numpy or as you suggested an environment setting.

When I installed "numpy-1.3.0.win-amd64-py2.6.msi" it actually installed to:

C:\Lib\site-packages\Numpy so I moved it to C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\Numpy so it matches where it runs on our 32bit installs (and makes more sense?).

I also moved the egg file from C:\Lib\site-packages to C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages

Error below from idle after running compile_all.py

Warning (from warnings module):
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\__init__.py", line 5
    import multiarray
Warning: Windows 64 bits support is experimental, and only available for
testing. You are advised not to use it for production.

CRASHES ARE TO BE EXPECTED - PLEASE REPORT THEM TO NUMPY DEVELOPERS

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\anuga\compile_all.py", line 8, in <module>
    execfile('compile.py')
  File "compile.py", line 15, in <module>
    import numpy
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\numpy\__init__.py", line 130, in <module>
    import add_newdocs
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\numpy\add_newdocs.py", line 9, in <module>
    from lib import add_newdoc
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\__init__.py", line 13, in <module>
    from polynomial import *
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\polynomial.py", line 18, in <module>
    from numpy.linalg import eigvals, lstsq
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\numpy\linalg\__init__.py", line 47, in <module>
    from linalg import *
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\numpy\linalg\linalg.py", line 22, in <module>
    from numpy.linalg import lapack_lite

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 8:12 PM, Craig Palmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks again for the response, would you mind if I forwarded your email onto the technical people at Geoscience? As your questions go beyond my understanding. I have tried to answer what I could below.

Feel free to send anything relevant to Geoscience.  (This is, in any event, a public mailing list.)

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 11:51 PM, Craig Palmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have added c:\mingw\bin to my path statement. The ANUGA software has a compile_all.py script that we have to run after installing all the dependencies.

Well, since you have a compile_all.py python script, you must be compiling something, presumably the ANUGA software.  One guesses that the compile_all script calls gcc (provided by mingw package) to compile various ANUGA programs and/or libraries.

You should find out from the Geoscience folks what it is that is being compiled, and what language (or languages) those things are written in.  Fortran?  C++?

> Here is the latest response from Geoscience:
>
> Hi Craig, compile_all requires gcc which comes from MinGW. If you're using a 64-bit machine, you need the 64 bit version of gcc. Unfortunately we don't have access to Windows 7 at work and it's difficult for us to test it here.

So the questions are:  What is it that gcc is going to compile (and in what languages)?
How does the ANUGA software interact with all of those other packages you mentioned?
Does it read and write files and then run programs from those other packages?  Or does it interact directly with the code of those other packages?  (For example, does the ANUGA package include python bindings that need to be compiled?)

Once we know better how mingw fits into the ANUGA system, we'll be able to give you advice on how to get things set up with mingw.

> Thanks
> Craig

Good luck.

K. Frank

This email, including attachments, is intended for the recipient only. The email may contain confidential or privileged information or be subject to copyright. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose, copy or use any part of the e-mail. Any opinion stated in this e-mail is not the opinion of Wollongong City Council unless stated or apparent from its contents. Wollongong City Council believes this e-mail to be free of virus or defect however the recipient is responsible to ensure it is virus-free.

If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the e-mail immediately.

Wollongong City Council respects your privacy and our Privacy Management Plan is located at: www.wollongong.nsw.gov.au

compile_all.py (914 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: MinGW for Windows 7 64 bit

K. Frank
Hi Craig -

It doesn't look like this particular part of the build process has
anything to do with
mingw -- so the mingw list won't be able to help much with your current issue.

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:13 PM, Craig Palmer
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello again (I don't know your name or whether you are Mr/Mrs/Ms etc),
>
> I have gotten a little further with the installation.
> Looks like now it's a problem with Numpy or as you suggested an environment setting.

Is there a Numpy mailing list that could help with this part of the
build process?

> Error below from idle after running compile_all.py
>
> Warning (from warnings module):
>  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\__init__.py", line 5
>    import multiarray
> Warning: Windows 64 bits support is experimental, and only available for
> testing. You are advised not to use it for production.
>
> CRASHES ARE TO BE EXPECTED - PLEASE REPORT THEM TO NUMPY DEVELOPERS
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\anuga\compile_all.py", line 8, in <module>
>    execfile('compile.py')
>  File "compile.py", line 15, in <module>
>    import numpy
>  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\numpy\linalg\__init__.py", line 47, in <module>
>    from linalg import *
>  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\numpy\linalg\linalg.py", line 22, in <module>
>    from numpy.linalg import lapack_lite
> ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

It looks like Numpy is looking for a lapack_lite library (maybe --
just guessing -- a
file called something like lapack_lite.dll).

I don't see anything yet that looks like it involves mingw.

I would expect that you would get this far in the build procedure, and have the
same error message, even if mingw weren't installed at all.

Indications that mingw might be involved would be an error message coming
from gcc (the compiler that mingw provides), or an error message about a
line in a file written in the C language.  (Hypothetically, maybe mingw's gcc
will be used to compile "anuga.c".)  Or an error message that says something
like "mingw_xyz.dll not found."

Since you're working with a package that has lots of pieces from
different places,
you might need to get help from different places.  Until you hit a
problem related
to mingw, there's not much advice we can offer you here.

(From what I can deduce, it looks like this ANUGA stuff is largely
python stuff, with
mingw playing a minor role.  But I still have no idea how mingw is
used by ANUGA.)

Good luck.

K. Frank

Re: MinGW for Windows 7 64 bit

Craig Palmer
Thanks again for the advice,

I think you have got to the crux of the issue. Presently it is not a problem with MinGW but the other components. I have corresponded with Geoscience to see what they think is causing the lapack_lite error.

So I will see if I can get past those issues and get back to you if it becomes a MinGW problem, or if I am successful in utilising MinGW 64 bit in this environment.

> [...]

(From what I can deduce, it looks like this ANUGA stuff is largely python stuff, with mingw playing a minor role.  But I still have no idea how mingw is used by ANUGA.)

Good luck.

K. Frank

This email, including attachments, is intended for the recipient only. The email may contain confidential or privileged information or be subject to copyright. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose, copy or use any part of the e-mail. Any opinion stated in this e-mail is not the opinion of Wollongong City Council unless stated or apparent from its contents. Wollongong City Council believes this e-mail to be free of virus or defect however the recipient is responsible to ensure it is virus-free.

If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the e-mail immediately.

Just an update on progress:

What I have done:
1. Uninstalled "numpy-1.3.0.win-amd64-py2.6.msi" then installed "numpy-1.4.1rc3.win-amd64-py2.6.exe"

2. Then restarted the PC, and ran compile_all. Error as it couldn't find gcc.exe

3. Modify the path statement to include:

"C:\MinGW\x86_64-w64-mingw32\bin" as I had it at "C:\MinGW\bin"

4. Restarted PC and ran the compile_all again to get the error below:

5. Forwarded this error message to Geoscience for their information

6. Geoscience suggested I modify line 447 in Compile.py from:

raise Exception, msg

raise Exception(msg)

7. Same error, so informed Geoscience.

So progress, I think. Looks like Numpy is now working and also MinGW, just possibly something with the ANUGA scripting or the environment?

Craig

IDLE 2.6.5
>>> ================================ RESTART ================================

---------------------------------------
Trying to compile c-extension polygon_ext.c in C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\anuga\utilities
Compiler: gcc.exe, version
gcc.exe -c polygon_ext.c -I"C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\include"  -I"C:\Python26\include" -I"C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\anuga\utilities" -o "polygon_ext.o" -Wall
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\anuga\compile_all.py", line 8, in <module>
   execfile('compile.py')
 File "compile.py", line 447, in <module>
   raise Exception, msg
Exception: Could not compile C extension polygon_ext.c
exceptions must be old-style classes or derived from BaseException, not str

> [...]

(From what I can deduce, it looks like this ANUGA stuff is largely python stuff, with mingw playing a minor role.  But I still have no idea how mingw is used by ANUGA.)

Good luck.

K. Frank

This email, including attachments, is intended for the recipient only. The email may contain confidential or privileged information or be subject to copyright. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose, copy or use any part of the e-mail. Any opinion stated in this e-mail is not the opinion of Wollongong City Council unless stated or apparent from its contents. Wollongong City Council believes this e-mail to be free of virus or defect however the recipient is responsible to ensure it is virus-free.

If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the e-mail immediately.

Tuomo Latto
Craig Palmer wrote:
> Just an update on progress:
[...]
> So progress, I think. Looks like Numpy is now working and also MinGW, just possibly something with the ANUGA scripting or the environment?

I would like to point out that none of us still have absolutely no idea
what it is that you're trying to do or how MinGW relates to it.

Also, please read

--
Tuomo

... Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
    Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.