Re: Environment Variables translated to Upper Case Equivalents

Re: Environment Variables translated to Upper Case Equivalents

Earnie Boyd
> From: Roger Mitchell
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to use the bash shell supplied with MinGW/MSYS, but I'm
finding that
> often environment variables (e.g. red_something) are translated to
> their
upper
> case equivalent (i.e. RED_SOMETHING). We have binary executables that
> are called from the shell that require the variables to be defined in
> lower
case (a
> hangover from UNIX days).
>
> I notice that CYGWIN allows the user to set a flag "nouppercase_env"
> for
the
> CYGWIN to control this behaviour. Is there an equivalent flag that can
> be
used
> with MinGW/MSYS?

You could create a script to create the lower case version and remove the
upper case version.  Then source that script from your ~/.profile file.

Re: Environment Variables translated to Upper Case Equivalents

Roger Mitchell
Hello Earnie,

thanks for the suggestion. The variable names will likely change for each launch of the shell (each one runs a regression test), but there's a seed of an idea if I dynamically generate a profile file for each run.

Best Regards,

Roger

From: Roger Mitchell
Hello,

[...]

Also: [hidden email]

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses. The service is powered by MessageLabs.

Roger Mitchell | Chief Software Engineer

Zuken Limited - The Partner for Success
1500 Aztec West, Almondsbury, Bristol, BS32 4RF, United Kingdom
T: +44 1454 207840 | F: +44 1454 207803
E: [hidden email] | W: www.zuken.com

Connect with Zuken: blog | youtube | linkedin | twitter | facebook

Zuken Ltd // Registered office: Bristol // Registered No. 956340 // Directors: Jinya Katsube, Kazuhiro Kariya, S Yukawa

This e-mail message from Zuken including any attachments is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This e-mail may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail by accident, please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail and all copies of it.