Problems with mingw32-make and -j option

12

Problems with mingw32-make and -j option

Eran Ifrah

Hello,

It seems that mingw32-make only partially supports the $(MAKE) variable

For example, if I want to run make with multiple jobs (-jN) from within a makefile, I usually write something like this:

subdir:
    cd subdir && $(MAKE) -f Makefile.mk

Now if I execute the makefile from the command line under Linux like this:

make -j4 -f Makefile.mk

$(MAKE) will contain "make -j4"

While under Windows / CMD.EXE - *no* MSYS,

it seems that $(MAKE) is forcing "-j 1"

I tried overriding this behavior using MAKEFLAGS and also setting MAKEOVERRIDES =
as described here:

with no luck...

 I can force it by changing the "subdir" target in the makefile to something like:

subdir:
    cd subdir && mingw32-make -j4 -f Makefile.mk

and it will work.

However, I prefer not doing this.

What am I am missing here?

My make version is 3.82, installed with mingw-get (great tool btw)

----
Eran Ifrah
Author of codelite a cross platform open source C/C++ IDE: http://www.codelite.org

Re: Problems with mingw32-make and -j option

niXman
2012/8/23 Eran Ifrah:

> Hello,
>
> It seems that mingw32-make only partially supports the $(MAKE) variable
>
> For example, if I want to run make with multiple jobs (-jN) from within a
> makefile, I usually write something like this:
>
> subdir:
>     cd subdir && $(MAKE) -f Makefile.mk
>
> Now if I execute the makefile from the command line under Linux like this:
>
> make -j4 -f Makefile.mk
>
> $(MAKE) will contain "make -j4"
>
> While under Windows / CMD.EXE - *no* MSYS,
>
> it seems that $(MAKE) is forcing "-j 1"
>
> I tried overriding this behavior using MAKEFLAGS and also setting
> MAKEOVERRIDES =
> as described here:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Options_002fRecursion.html
>
> with no luck...
>
>  I can force it by changing the "subdir" target in the makefile to something
> like:
>
> subdir:
>     cd subdir && mingw32-make -j4 -f Makefile.mk
>
> and it will work.
>
> However, I prefer not doing this.
>
> What am I am missing here?
>
> My make version is 3.82, installed with mingw-get (great tool btw)

Hi,

make is build without job server support.
In my builds make is builded with job server support.

niXman
Dual-target(32 & 64 bit) MinGW compilers for 32 and 64 bit Windows:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Eran Ifrah wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It seems that mingw32-make only partially supports the $(MAKE) variable
>
> For example, if I want to run make with multiple jobs (-jN) from within a
> makefile, I usually write something like this:

IIRC, we do not distribute mingw32-make with the ability to support
more than one job.  Does job support work for a native windows make?
I know the MSYS make supports it.

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 5:53 PM, niXman <[hidden email]> wrote:
2012/8/23 Eran Ifrah:

> Hello,
>
> It seems that mingw32-make only partially supports the $(MAKE) variable
>
> For example, if I want to run make with multiple jobs (-jN) from within a
> makefile, I usually write something like this:
>
> subdir:
>     cd subdir && $(MAKE) -f Makefile.mk
>
> Now if I execute the makefile from the command line under Linux like this:
>
> make -j4 -f Makefile.mk
>
> $(MAKE) will contain "make -j4"
>
> While under Windows / CMD.EXE - *no* MSYS,
>
> it seems that $(MAKE) is forcing "-j 1"
>
> I tried overriding this behavior using MAKEFLAGS and also setting
> MAKEOVERRIDES =
> as described here:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Options_002fRecursion.html
>
> with no luck...
>
>  I can force it by changing the "subdir" target in the makefile to something
> like:
>
> subdir:
>     cd subdir && mingw32-make -j4 -f Makefile.mk
>
> and it will work.
>
> However, I prefer not doing this.
>
> What am I am missing here?
>
> My make version is 3.82, installed with mingw-get (great tool btw)

Hi,

make is build without job server support.
In my builds make is builded with job server support.

Thanks, your build of make 3.82.90 - did the trick

Is there a chance to get jobserver support in the official mingw builds?

2012/8/23 Earnie Boyd:
> Does job support work for a native windows make?

yes.

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 7:17 PM, Earnie Boyd <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Eran Ifrah wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It seems that mingw32-make only partially supports the $(MAKE) variable
>
> For example, if I want to run make with multiple jobs (-jN) from within a
> makefile, I usually write something like this:

IIRC, we do not distribute mingw32-make with the ability to support
more than one job.  Does job support work for a native windows make?
I know the MSYS make supports it.

If by "native windows make" you mean executing mingw32-make under CMD.EXE than the answer is yes.
The only problem is that it does not pass it to it children 'make' processes via the $(MAKE)

In case "windows native make" is NMAKE - than the answer is NO, NAMKE does not support multiple jobs. IIRC, MS supports parallel building only using MSBuild or something like that

Eran Ifrah
Author of codelite, a cross platform open source C/C++ IDE: http://www.codelite.org

Re: Problems with mingw32-make and -j option

> From: Eran Ifrah <[hidden email]>
> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 17:42:13 +0300
>
> It seems that mingw32-make only partially supports the $(MAKE) variable

No, this is documented behavior for any Make that doesn't support the
"job server" parallelism.

> For example, if I want to run make with multiple jobs (-jN) from within a
> makefile, I usually write something like this:
>
> subdir:
>     cd subdir && $(MAKE) -f Makefile.mk
>
> Now if I execute the makefile from the command line under Linux like this:
>
> make -j4 -f Makefile.mk
>
> $(MAKE) will contain "make -j4"
>
> While under Windows / CMD.EXE - *no* MSYS,
>
> it seems that $(MAKE) is forcing "-j 1"

Get the CVS code of Make, build it, and you will see no such problem,
because the CVS code already supports job server.

In a Make that doesn't support job server, the parent Make cannot
control how many jobs will be launched by a sub-Make, so it resets the
number to 1.

> I tried overriding this behavior using MAKEFLAGS and also setting MAKEOVERRIDES
> =
> as described here:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Options_002fRecursion.html
>
> with no luck...

With Make 3.82, you need to set "-jN" in the sub-Make by explicitly
mentioning it on the sub-Make command line.

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 7:29 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> wrote:
> From: Eran Ifrah <[hidden email]>
> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 17:42:13 +0300
>
> It seems that mingw32-make only partially supports the $(MAKE) variable

No, this is documented behavior for any Make that doesn't support the
"job server" parallelism.

 I wasn't aware that the official make does not support "job server", now that I know this, it makes sense

> For example, if I want to run make with multiple jobs (-jN) from within a
> makefile, I usually write something like this:
>
> subdir:
>     cd subdir && $(MAKE) -f Makefile.mk
>
> Now if I execute the makefile from the command line under Linux like this:
>
> make -j4 -f Makefile.mk
>
> $(MAKE) will contain "make -j4"
>
> While under Windows / CMD.EXE - *no* MSYS,
>
> it seems that $(MAKE) is forcing "-j 1"

Get the CVS code of Make, build it, and you will see no such problem,
because the CVS code already supports job server.

In a Make that doesn't support job server, the parent Make cannot
control how many jobs will be launched by a sub-Make, so it resets the
number to 1.

I was trying to avoid building make myself. Luckily for me, niXman provided me with a link to a make binary that supports it

> I tried overriding this behavior using MAKEFLAGS and also setting MAKEOVERRIDES
> =
> as described here:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Options_002fRecursion.html
>
> with no luck...

With Make 3.82, you need to set "-jN" in the sub-Make by explicitly
mentioning it on the sub-Make command line.

I know this, I was trying to avoid it. I didn't want to hard code the number of jobs into the Makefile

Eran Ifrah
Author of codelite, a cross platform open source C/C++ IDE: http://www.codelite.org

Re: Problems with mingw32-make and -j option

> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 12:17:16 -0400
> From: Earnie Boyd <[hidden email]>
>
> IIRC, we do not distribute mingw32-make with the ability to support
> more than one job.

Yes, you do ;-)  Parallel execution is supported in the MinGW Make
since v3.81.  It's just that the "job server" feature was not ported
to Windows -- until very recently (it will be included in the next
official release).

I'm using the CVS build of MinGW Make, where job server is supported,
for many months now, and it works beautifully.  E.g., I routinely run
"make -j8" to build Emacs on my Core i7 box.

On 23/08/12 17:29, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Get the CVS code of Make, build it, and you will see no such problem,
> because the CVS code already supports job server.

For completeness, could you provide a link, please?  I wasn't aware that
we maintain a CVS repository for MinGW Make, so I assume you mean your
upstream repository?

Re: Problems with mingw32-make and -j option

Gisle Vanem-2
"Eran Ifrah" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In case "windows native make" is NMAKE - than the answer is NO, NAMKE does
> not support multiple jobs. IIRC, MS supports parallel building only using
> MSBuild or something like that

But then again "cl -MP" is so much faster than any GNU make
and gcc combo. Give 'cl' a list of src-files and it spawn 4 cl processes
on my 4 core CPU. 10 times faster than make+gcc will. Just my $0.02.

--gv

Re: Problems with mingw32-make and -j option

> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:00:12 +0100
> From: Keith Marshall <[hidden email]>
>
> On 23/08/12 17:29, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Get the CVS code of Make, build it, and you will see no such problem,
> > because the CVS code already supports job server.
>
> For completeness, could you provide a link, please?  I wasn't aware that
> we maintain a CVS repository for MinGW Make, so I assume you mean your
> upstream repository?

No, I mean the GNU Make upstream CVS repository.  To check out
anonymously:

  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[hidden email]:/sources/make co make

Sorry for being unclear.

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 8:48 PM, Gisle Vanem <[hidden email]> wrote:
"Eran Ifrah" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In case "windows native make" is NMAKE - than the answer is NO, NAMKE does
> not support multiple jobs. IIRC, MS supports parallel building only using
> MSBuild or something like that

But then again "cl -MP" is so much faster than any GNU make
and gcc combo. Give 'cl' a list of src-files and it spawn 4 cl processes
on my 4 core CPU. 10 times faster than make+gcc will. Just my $0.02.

Its nice, but you can not specify different command line arguments *per* file - for this reason (and probably others) msbuild.exe exists
Not to mention that the reason that I am using MinGW in the first place, is that I don't want to use MS toolchain ;)

--gv

Eran Ifrah
Author of the cross platform, open source C++ IDE: http://www.codelite.org

Re: Problems with mingw32-make and -j option

Gisle Vanem-2
"Eran Ifrah" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not to mention that the reason that I am using MinGW in the first place, is
> that I don't want to use MS toolchain ;)

I use both and love them both. They both have their strong sides.
Kudos to MS for offering Visual Express etc. for free. With that and
e.g. Qt Creator one can produce professional GUI programs in no
time.

--gv

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:00:12 +0100
>> From: Keith Marshall
>>
>> On 23/08/12 17:29, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> > Get the CVS code of Make, build it, and you will see no such problem,
>> > because the CVS code already supports job server.
>>
>> For completeness, could you provide a link, please?  I wasn't aware that
>> we maintain a CVS repository for MinGW Make, so I assume you mean your
>> upstream repository?
>
> No, I mean the GNU Make upstream CVS repository.  To check out
> anonymously:
>
>   cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[hidden email]:/sources/make co make

Is there a schedule for the release?

On 23/08/12 18:57, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:00:12 +0100
>> From: Keith Marshall <[hidden email]>
>>
>> On 23/08/12 17:29, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> Get the CVS code of Make, build it, and you will see no such problem,
>>> because the CVS code already supports job server.
>>
>> For completeness, could you provide a link, please?  I wasn't aware that
>> we maintain a CVS repository for MinGW Make, so I assume you mean your
>> upstream repository?
>
> No, I mean the GNU Make upstream CVS repository.  To check out
> anonymously:
>
>    cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[hidden email]:/sources/make co make
>
> Sorry for being unclear.

Thanks.  That's the one I meant; I referred to it as "your" upstream
repository because I know you are a major contributor to the GNU Make
project, (at least, in respect of its Windows capabilities).

On 23/08/12 19:54, Gisle Vanem wrote:
> "Eran Ifrah"<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> >Not to mention that the reason that I am using MinGW in the first place, is
>> >that I don't want to use MS toolchain;)
> I use both and love them both. They both have their strong sides.
> Kudos to MS for offering Visual Express etc. for free.

But it's not really free, is it, (in any sense other than as in beer)?
Did you ever read the EULA?  IIRC, you infringe it, if you distribute
your product.  Where is the source code?  Are you entitled to study it,
learn from it, copy it, modify it, and subsequently redistribute it?

Re: Problems with mingw32-make and -j option

> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 15:01:35 -0400
> From: Earnie Boyd <[hidden email]>
>
> Is there a schedule for the release?

Not that I know of.

Re: Problems with mingw32-make and -j option

> From: Gisle Vanem <[hidden email]>
> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 19:48:54 +0200
>
> Give 'cl' a list of src-files and it spawn 4 cl processes
> on my 4 core CPU. 10 times faster than make+gcc will.

Is it really faster than "make -j4", which will spawn 4 GCC processes?
(Actually, if you have 4 cores, the usual recommendation is to use -j6.)

Re: Problems with mingw32-make and -j option

Chris Sutcliffe-2
On 23 August 2012 15:17, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 15:01:35 -0400
>> From: Earnie Boyd <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Is there a schedule for the release?
>
> Not that I know of.

That being the case, is it worth me packaging a new mingw32-make based
on current CVS?  I've been holding off in hopes of an official
release.

Chris

--
Chris Sutcliffe