Problems locating mingw programs for download

Problems locating mingw programs for download

Ian Puleston
Hi,

I've often found it difficult to locate particular programs in the mingw
download area on sourceforge, and I'm wondering if I'm missing something.
Here's an example, I want to view a man page but there is no mingw man, so a
little research tells me that I need groff which I don't have installed. So
I go to the download page
(http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435) but can't find
groff listed anywhere there.

The FAQ at mingw.org has a has a download link for it (which is broken -
clicking the link does not got to where it says, it goes to
http://www.mingw.org/wiki/this_mingwPORT which gives an error). But a copy
and paste of the text of the link
(http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/groff-1.19.2-mingwPORT-1.tar.bz2?d
ownload) does finally work.

So questions:

1. groff is obviously available for download at sourceforge so why does it
not appear to be listed in the packages list (or not anywhere obvious
anyway)?

2. Is there a list anywhere of what programs are in what packages (something
like the Cygwin package search)?

I'm also looking for a mingw port of GNU zip. I found rpms for mingw-zip
which tells me it probably exists (although I can't quite figure out why
"gnu for windows" would be available in Linux RPMs) but again can't I find
it via the download page at sourceforge.

Ian

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: Problems locating mingw programs for download

Brian Dessent
Ian Puleston wrote:

> I'm also looking for a mingw port of GNU zip. I found rpms for mingw-zip
> which tells me it probably exists (although I can't quite figure out why
> "gnu for windows" would be available in Linux RPMs) but again can't I find
> it via the download page at sourceforge.

"GNU zip" is quite an ambiguous term.  There is GNU gzip, which uses the
zlib compression library, .gz file extension, and gzip/gunzip command
names.  MSYS versions of these utilities are included in the msysCORE
package (as well as bzip2/bunzip2 and tar.)

But if you mean something that manipulates .zip files, that is NOT what
you want, as these files are an entirely different file format and
compression algorithm.  There is no GNU project that covers this
format.  The command line zip/unzip programs are from the Info-ZIP
project, and you can find win32 binaries on their ftp site.  There is no
package of these utils on the MinGW site (nor has there ever been,
AFAIK) because it is not common to encounter .zip files when dealing
with *nix projects; .gz is by far the defacto standard.  (Further, most
Windows users already have a .zip file handling GUI program such as
WinZip or WinRAR or 7zip, etc.)

Brian

Quoting Ian Puleston <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I've often found it difficult to locate particular programs in the mingw
> download area on sourceforge, and I'm wondering if I'm missing something.
> Here's an example, I want to view a man page but there is no mingw man, so a
> little research tells me that I need groff which I don't have installed. So
> I go to the download page
> (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435) but can't find
> groff listed anywhere there.

Groff is offered as a mingwPORT here
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=233332

I find a script in the Google cache for man here
http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:DL7B3h9o0KQJ:www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/ManScript+man+site:mingw.org

> The FAQ at mingw.org has a has a download link for it (which is broken -
> clicking the link does not got to where it says, it goes to
> http://www.mingw.org/wiki/this_mingwPORT which gives an error).

The wiki page must not be updated with the new wiki formatting engine.
You should be able to fix it but if not someone will eventually.

> But a copy
> and paste of the text of the link
> (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/groff-1.19.2-mingwPORT-1.tar.bz2?d
> ownload) does finally work.

Good.

> So questions:
>
> 1. groff is obviously available for download at sourceforge so why does it
> not appear to be listed in the packages list (or not anywhere obvious
> anyway)?

See the above link.

> 2. Is there a list anywhere of what programs are in what packages (something
> like the Cygwin package search)?

A nice feature request for SF to put in its FRS but none that I know of
off hand.

You want http://www.info-zip.org/ which will give you what you want.

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: Problems locating mingw programs for download

Роман Донченко
> But if you mean something that manipulates .zip files, that is NOT what
> you want, as these files are an entirely different file format and
> compression algorithm.

Format, yes, but the compression algorithm is the same, namely DEFLATE. (Zip
allows others, but DEFLATE is the de facto standard.)

Roman.

On Monday 01 December 2008 12:53:58 Earnie Boyd wrote:
> Groff is offered as a mingwPORT here
> https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package
>_id=233332

I've added that reference to the offending Wiki page.

> I find a script in the Google cache for man here
> http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:DL7B3h9o0KQJ:www.mingw.org/MinG
>Wiki/index.php/ManScript+man+site:mingw.org

And I've imported that into the new Wiki.  However, I'd still like to
encourage users to try the 'man' development snapshot; it really does
support more useful features, such as:--

  * apropos and whatis, in addition to man.
  * direct handling of compressed manpages.
  * direct display of preformatted catpages.
  * (coming soon) national language support.

> > The FAQ at mingw.org has a has a download link for it (which is
> > broken - clicking the link does not got to where it says, it goes
> > to http://www.mingw.org/wiki/this_mingwPORT which gives an
> > error).
>
> The wiki page must not be updated with the new wiki formatting
> engine.   You should be able to fix it but if not someone will
> eventually.

I just did!

On Sunday 30 November 2008 21:38:04 Ian Puleston wrote:
> I've often found it difficult to locate particular programs in the
> mingw download area on sourceforge,

Don't we all!?  Please complain loudly to SF, (i.e. raise a support
ticket with *them*, not with *us*).  They seem to have the mistaken
impression that a majority of users prefer their new, "hide as much
as we can" style; I can only conclude that those who dislike it are
not complaining, or they are being ignored.

> and I'm wondering if I'm
> missing something. Here's an example, I want to view a man page but
> there is no mingw man,

Eh?  It shouldn't need more than one guess; what do you think the
released package "Snapshot:man-1.6-mingw-beta-1" might provide?  (And
yes, that is clearly visible, even with the new "concise" style of the
SF downloads page).

> so a little research tells me that I need
> groff which I don't have installed. So I go to the download page
> (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435) but
> can't find groff listed anywhere there.

Well, it *is* there, although not so visible, since SF last changed
the page format, to the detriment of every project releasing packages
comprising more than a single file.  You already know it is released
as a mingwPORT, so you need to look in the

  User Contributed:mingwPORT:Current Releases

package collection.  (And please note: you still need to install groff
to have a working "man", with the above "man-1.6" package).

> The FAQ at mingw.org has a has a download link for it (which is
> broken - clicking the link does not got to where it says, it goes
> to http://www.mingw.org/wiki/this_mingwPORT which gives an error).

The link was still formatted for phpWiki, instead of the new MediaWiki
format we now use; I've corrected that.

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: Problems locating mingw programs for download

Ian Puleston

Apparently not that clearly visible because I didn't spot it. I think the
problem is that the first column is titled "Package" so one naturally looks
down that column to try to find the package one is looking for. In the case
of man that column just says "Snapshot". Even in the release column,
everything else with mingw in the name is formatted "mingw-xxx"
(mingw32-make, mingw-utils, mingw-catgets, etc.) so scanning down the list
one tends to look to the right for the name and it's easy to miss this one
which is inconsistently named "man-1.6-mingw...".

Of course a search for "man" on the page probably would've been a good thing
to try :-)

MinGW Runtime seems more screwed up with Package = "Previous" and Release =
"MinGW Runtime", which seems exactly the wrong way round. Apart from these
two the package column says what the package is.

Thanks to you and Earnie for all the replies - you pretty much covered
everything.

Ian

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: Problems locating mingw programs for download

Keith Marshall
On Wednesday 03 December 2008 02:44:43 Ian Puleston wrote:

> > Eh?  It shouldn't need more than one guess; what do you think the
> > released package "Snapshot:man-1.6-mingw-beta-1" might provide?
> >  (And yes, that is clearly visible, even with the new "concise"
> > style of the SF downloads page).
>
> Apparently not that clearly visible because I didn't spot it. I
> think the problem is that the first column is titled "Package" so
> one naturally looks down that column to try to find the package one
> is looking for. In the case of man that column just says
> "Snapshot". Even in the release column, everything else with mingw
> in the name is formatted "mingw-xxx" (mingw32-make, mingw-utils,
> mingw-catgets, etc.) so scanning down the list one tends to look to
> the right for the name and it's easy to miss this one which is
> inconsistently named "man-1.6-mingw...".
>
> Of course a search for "man" on the page probably would've been a
> good thing to try :-)

It certainly wouldn't have hurt.

> MinGW Runtime seems more screwed up with Package = "Previous" and
> Release = "MinGW Runtime", which seems exactly the wrong way round.
> Apart from these two the package column says what the package is.

What you see as "Previous" is *not* a recent version, nor even a
recently superseded version of "MinGW Runtime".  The current version
*can* be seen, appropriately named, in column one.

In days gone by we used to subvert the intended use of SF's FRS, and
collect everything into "Packages" which were really status groups;
the real "Packages" then appeared as so called "Releases", within the
status groups named as "Candidate", "Current", etc.  This used to
work quite well for us, until SF arbitrarily decided to change the
display style, and hide all but the most recent three "Releases" of
each "Package"; overnight, the majority of our actual packages
disappeared from immediate view, and no one could find anything!

At that time, we embarked on a reorganisation, but "Snapshot"
and "Previous" were relics of the former time.  Anything which can be
seen in "Previous" is now ancient history, and it is pure coincidence
that an obsolete version of "MinGW Runtime" is what you saw there;
I've now removed that entire historical package collection from
public view.

"Snapshot" was a slightly different case, but nonetheless a relic of a
former time; it just happened to contain exactly three packages of
the class we now call "Technology Previews".  Since, at the time of
that original reorganisation, all three of those remained visible,
they were not given a high priority for moving to their own packages,
(in the true SF sense).  Since SF have again arbitrarily changed the
layout, with only one release visible per package, I've completed the
originally planned reorganisation, at least to the point of having a
separate package for each individual application.

I won't tell you what I've moved the three old "Snapshot" packages to,
as I hope they will be obvious; please let me know, if you continue
to experience difficulty.

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.