Problem Using GNU Scientific Library

12

Problem Using GNU Scientific Library

Mark Allyn
Hello everyone,

I am trying to use GCC to compile and link to the GNU Scientific Library.  The compile step appears to generate a viable .o file.  And, the link step appears to generate a .exe file.  However, when I execute the program, I get a message back saying that cyggsl-0.dll was not found.

Any help you might provide would be most appreciated.

Mark Allyn

Re: Problem Using GNU Scientific Library

Dennis Wassel
2010/3/8 Mark Allyn <[hidden email]>:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am trying to use GCC to compile and link to the GNU Scientific Library.
> The compile step appears to generate a viable .o file.  And, the link step
> appears to generate a .exe file.  However, when I execute the program, I get
> a message back saying that cyggsl-0.dll was not found.

Compile-time and runtime linking are two different cups of tea with
shared libraries.
Put it into the same directory as the exe, or change your PATH
environment variable to include the path to the dll. I have not
learned any more elegant way to resolve those issues on Windows, like
ld's rpath.

Re: Problem Using GNU Scientific Library

Mark Allyn
Hi Dennis-

I followed your suggestion to copy the DLL's into the .exe directory.  In
all, there were four of them (so far).  The program runs and spits out a
Bessel function and also a message box (a la windows).  So, this approach
certainly can work.

The DLL's were all in a Cygwin distribution of GSL.

Copying the DLL's is prety ugly approach, and I'm wondering if there isn't a
better way to handle it.  You mentioned doing something with the
environment, but I'm not clear on exactly what you had in mind.  If it
wouldn't be too much trouble, could you illustrate?

Thanks,
Mark Allyn
>> I am trying to use GCC to compile and link to the GNU Scientific Library.
>> The compile step appears to generate a viable .o file. And, the link step
>> appears to generate a .exe file. However, when I execute the program, I
>> get
>> a message back saying that cyggsl-0.dll was not found.
>
> Compile-time and runtime linking are two different cups of tea with
> shared libraries.
> Put it into the same directory as the exe, or change your PATH
> environment variable to include the path to the dll. I have not
> learned any more elegant way to resolve those issues on Windows, like
> ld's rpath.

> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list
> etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

Re: Problem Using GNU Scientific Library

K. Frank
Mark -

As Dennis said, add the location of the dll's to your path.

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Mark Allyn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Dennis-
>
> I followed your suggestion to copy the DLL's into the .exe directory..
> Copying the DLL's is prety ugly approach, and I'm wondering if there isn't a
> better way to handle it.  You mentioned doing something with the
> environment, but I'm not clear on exactly what you had in mind.  If it
> wouldn't be too much trouble, could you illustrate?

On windows, the os will search for dll's in your path (as well as some other
places).  So if you don't want to copy the dll's (and in most cases you don't),
usually the most practical approach is to add the directories containing the
dll's to the windows path.

You can run the System Properties applet from Control Panel, click the
Environment Variables button, and add the relevant directories to either
the "User variables" or the "System variables" path variables.  If you launch
your application from a command prompt, you will have to start a new
command prompt after making this change for it to be picked up.

Or, if you don't want to pollute your global path(s), you can start a command
prompt and add to the path just in its environment:

   set path=%path%;c:\my_dll_directory_1;c:\my_dll_directory_2

and then launch your application from that command prompt.  (Use quotes
if your path has embedded spaces.)

Good luck.

K. Frank

> Thanks,
> Mark Allyn

Chris Wilson-4
Hi Mark,

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Mark Allyn wrote:

> I followed your suggestion to copy the DLL's into the .exe directory.
> In all, there were four of them (so far).  The program runs and spits
> out a Bessel function and also a message box (a la windows).  So, this
> approach certainly can work.
>
> The DLL's were all in a Cygwin distribution of GSL.
>
> Copying the DLL's is prety ugly approach, and I'm wondering if there
> isn't a better way to handle it.  You mentioned doing something with the
> environment, but I'm not clear on exactly what you had in mind.  If it
> wouldn't be too much trouble, could you illustrate?

My understanding (and I am very far from an expert here, but maybe I'll
save them the trouble of answering the boring part, or at least I'll learn
something from their flames :-) is that:

When you link with an import library (.lib or .dll.a) this is actually
dynamic linking. When Windows runs the application, it knows that it needs
the DLL, and it knows the name of the DLL, but not the path. By default it
will search your PATH. This includes c:\windows\system(32) or equivalent,
which is why so many programs install all kinds of crud in there (and
hence cause DLL version hell).

Windows also searches the directory where the main executable is stored.
Unless it finds the DLL in one of those locations, it cannot start the
program, and displays the message you saw.

So you have two choices: either copy the DLLs (distribute them with your
program) and install them either in C:\Windows\System32 (or equivalent) or
(preferably) your application directory; or link with static libraries.
You might be able to find such static libraries pre-built for GSL (they
would normally end in .a, not .dll.a), or you may have to build them
yourself if not. Then you will not need to distribute or install any DLL
files.

> Thanks,
> Mark Allyn

_ ___ __     _
   / __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <0000 at qwirx.com> - Cambs UK |

Re: Problem Using GNU Scientific Library

Mark Allyn
Hi Chris-

Your clarification is crystal clear.  Thanks for putting the effort into
making it so transparent.

I take away from it the notion that one solution is to do a "set
path=c:\cygwin\bin" to find those DLL's that are in the bin file that are
required by my GSL app.  This is not the only file in which they are must be
found.  There is another file, "c:\cygwin\lib\lapack" where another of the
culprit DLL's resides.  And so forth.  It appears there is no good way to
know in advance of executing the program whether or not all the DLL's are
located in the .exe file.  Not that I can think of, anyway.

I'm busy grading student projects at the moment, but will test out my
conjecture later this evening.

Thanks again,

Mark Allyn

>> I followed your suggestion to copy the DLL's into the .exe directory.
>> In all, there were four of them (so far).  The program runs and spits
>> out a Bessel function and also a message box (a la windows).  So, this
>> approach certainly can work.
>>
>> The DLL's were all in a Cygwin distribution of GSL.
>>
>> Copying the DLL's is prety ugly approach, and I'm wondering if there
>> isn't a better way to handle it.  You mentioned doing something with the
>> environment, but I'm not clear on exactly what you had in mind.  If it
>> wouldn't be too much trouble, could you illustrate?
>
> My understanding (and I am very far from an expert here, but maybe I'll
> save them the trouble of answering the boring part, or at least I'll learn
> something from their flames :-) is that:
>
> When you link with an import library (.lib or .dll.a) this is actually
> dynamic linking. When Windows runs the application, it knows that it needs
> the DLL, and it knows the name of the DLL, but not the path. By default it
> will search your PATH. This includes c:\windows\system(32) or equivalent,
> which is why so many programs install all kinds of crud in there (and
> hence cause DLL version hell).
>
> Windows also searches the directory where the main executable is stored.
> Unless it finds the DLL in one of those locations, it cannot start the
> program, and displays the message you saw.
>
> So you have two choices: either copy the DLLs (distribute them with your
> program) and install them either in C:\Windows\System32 (or equivalent) or
> (preferably) your application directory; or link with static libraries.
> You might be able to find such static libraries pre-built for GSL (they
> would normally end in .a, not .dll.a), or you may have to build them
> yourself if not. Then you will not need to distribute or install any DLL
> files.
>

>> Thanks,
>> Mark Allyn

Earnie Boyd
Mark Allyn wrote:

> Hi Chris-
>
> Your clarification is crystal clear.  Thanks for putting the effort into
> making it so transparent.
>
> I take away from it the notion that one solution is to do a "set
> path=c:\cygwin\bin" to find those DLL's that are in the bin file that are
> required by my GSL app.  This is not the only file in which they are must be
> found.  There is another file, "c:\cygwin\lib\lapack" where another of the
> culprit DLL's resides.  And so forth.  It appears there is no good way to
> know in advance of executing the program whether or not all the DLL's are
> located in the .exe file.  Not that I can think of, anyway.
>
> I'm busy grading student projects at the moment, but will test out my
> conjecture later this evening.

I keep wondering why you're talking about cygwin dll's in the MinGW
list.  Adding a path to Cygwin will most likely cause MSYS issues.

Re: Problem Using GNU Scientific Library

Mark Allyn
Hi Earnie-

Cygwin figures in this because my download of GSL was taken from Cygwin, not
directly from GNU.org.  So all the machinery for doing the GSL calcs is
sitting in the c:\cygwin directory.  I used Cygwin because when I've tried
to download GSL from GNU.org I kept having problems getting a complete
download.  Files would wind up not coming down.  Never figured out why.

I'm programming off the command line using Notepad to create the .c files
and makefiles.  I haven't been using MSYS (as far as I know).  I didn't
think MSYS was a factor with which to be concerned.  Maybe I'm wrong?  My
understanding of MSYS is primitive at best.

Regards,
Mark Allyn

Mark Allyn

Mark Allyn wrote:
> Hi Earnie-
>
> Cygwin figures in this because my download of GSL was taken from Cygwin, not
> directly from GNU.org.  So all the machinery for doing the GSL calcs is
> sitting in the c:\cygwin directory.  I used Cygwin because when I've tried
> to download GSL from GNU.org I kept having problems getting a complete
> download.  Files would wind up not coming down.  Never figured out why.

Then you are asking the wrong list.  The distributed files from Cygwin
are Cygwin runtime related, i.e. require the Cygwin dll unless they
specify that they do not.  This list does not support files distributed
from other sites.
> I'm programming off the command line using Notepad to create the .c files
> and makefiles.  I haven't been using MSYS (as far as I know).  I didn't
> think MSYS was a factor with which to be concerned.  Maybe I'm wrong?  My
> understanding of MSYS is primitive at best.

MSYS is a fork of Cygwin to provide a tool to allow the UNIX shell
script configure to be used.  It has the fortunate benefit of being able
to be used for greater purposes than the stated goal.  But there is not
a runtime interface to be used in place of MSVCRT.DLL except for
development of MSYS.

Re: Problem Using GNU Scientific Library

Uwe R.
Hi!

>Cygwin figures in this because my download of GSL was taken from Cygwin, not
>directly from GNU.org.  So all the machinery for doing the GSL calcs is
>sitting in the c:\cygwin directory.  I used Cygwin because when I've tried
>to download GSL from GNU.org I kept having problems getting a complete
>download.  Files would wind up not coming down.  Never figured out why.

Not sure what you are doing.
The link is
<http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gsl/gsl-1.13.tar.gz>http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gsl/gsl-1.13.tar.gz
so it is just one file.

You can easily unpack it with eg. 7zip and then compile it under msys.
After install I copied manually the files in the /mingw/lib and
/mingw/include dirs.

With gsl it works smoothly. Other projects need help from more
experienced users.

The home page (docs) is at http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/

Regards,
Uwe

___________________________
PD Dr. Uwe Rossow
TU Braunschweig
Inst. f. Angewandte Physik
Mendelssohnstr. 2
38106 Braunschweig
Fax: 0531-391 8511
Email: [hidden email]
Tel.: 0531-391 8523 (good luck!)

Re: Problem Using GNU Scientific Library

Mark Allyn
Hi Earnie and all,

I certainly don't want to ask the wrong list.  But, this is one of those
occasions when it isn't clear which list is the right list.  Since I am
using MinGW to compile and link it seemed to me that MinGW was at least one
of the right places to ask this question.  The DLL's from Cygwin seemed to
me to be sort of "anyone's"  GPL'd DLL's---in this case the code originated
with GNU and as near as I know Cygwin was merely a convenient repository for
the compiled code.

But, as I say, I certainly don't want to ask the wrong list, and if this is
the wrong list, you have my apologies, but I hope you also will understand
why I might have thought it was the right list.

I am using MSFT's cmd.exe to deal with the code, not MSYS.  And, maybe that
is the problem.  A later message from UWE indicates that he is using GSL via
MSYS and not having any difficulties.  I'll try MSYS and see what happens.

Regards,

Mark Allyn

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Mark Allyn wrote:

> I certainly don't want to ask the wrong list.  But, this is one of those
> occasions when it isn't clear which list is the right list.  Since I am
> using MinGW to compile and link it seemed to me that MinGW was at least
> one of the right places to ask this question.  The DLL's from Cygwin
> seemed to me to be sort of "anyone's"  GPL'd DLL's---in this case the
> code originated with GNU and as near as I know Cygwin was merely a
> convenient repository for the compiled code.

If it's compiled with Cygwin GCC (without the -mno-cygwin option) then it
depends on the Cygwin runtime (cygwin*.dll I think) and we cannot support
it here. The only place to ask would be the Cygwin list.

Most probably they will tell you that they cannot support mixing their
DLLs with software compiled with MinGW due to incompatibilities between
the runtimes, and they cannot help you either. They will probably advise
you not to mix cygwin and non-cygwin DLLs, and refuse to help you if you
do, which is not unreasonable because the Cygwin and MSVCRT runtimes are
not compatible and cannot be made compatible.

> I am using MSFT's cmd.exe to deal with the code, not MSYS.

The command console has nothing to do with it, I'm afraid. it appears that
you're mixing code compiled with different compilers and using different
(incompatible) runtimes and expecting it to work, which in general it will
not and cannot. If you are not mixing them (your GSL does not depend on
the Cygwin runtime in any way), please prove it.

Cheers, Chris.
--
_ ___ __     _

Chris Wilson wrote:

>  The command console has nothing to do with it, I'm afraid. it appears
>  that you're mixing code compiled with different compilers and using
>  different (incompatible) runtimes and expecting it to work, which in
>  general it will not and cannot. If you are not mixing them (your GSL
>  does not depend on the Cygwin runtime in any way), please prove it.

And you can use ``strings /path/to/some/dll-or-exe | grep -i cygwin'' to
determine that.  If you don't have the grep command then redirect the
output of strings to a file and open the file in an editor and search
for the occurrence.

Re: Problem Using GNU Scientific Library

Mark Allyn
Hello Chris, Earnie, and Uwe,

Thanks to all of you for helping me out.  Here is what I have taken away
from your collective inputs.  (I do want to discuss one further point with
Uwe Rossow in a separate posting).

Bear in mind that I am a novice user with no aspirations to become a
developer.  My conclusions are that life is simplest
1.  If I want to run Cygwin versions of various DLL's or static libs then I
should run the code off Cygwin's shell (or their Xterm version).
2.  If I want to run MinGW versions of various DLL's or static libs then I
shoud run the code off MSYS.
3.  If I want to run VisualC++ versious of various DLL's or static libs then
I should run the code off CMD.exe

...by "Cygwin versions" (and etc/), I mean code compiled using the Cygwin
settings on gcc.

(BTW, I think this "rule" extends to Dev-CPP, based on my unpleasant and
unsuccessful experience with Cygwin DLL's there).

Is this acceptable rule of thumb?  If so, I have learned a lot and thank
you.  Of course, the story for the users (not developers) is a bit
depressing.  I say this only because it is convenient for us to do what I
tried to do:  namely grab someone else's DLL and link it dynamically with
code compiled under a different compiler/compiler setting.  If you like (as
I do) to download "the same thing" once and once only, this part of the
process becomes something of a nuisance.  I am sure there are other aspects
of the process that favor this kind of "silo software" that more than offset
the nuisance of it....Oh well.  I think I know that you will tell me that it
isn't "the same thing" which is why it reposes in a different "silo".  I
defer here to your wisdom

Thanks again.  And, Uwe, I have a question for you later about compiling GSL
for MinGW, but I won't clutter up this posting with that question..

Regards,

Mark Allyn

>> I certainly don't want to ask the wrong list.  But, this is one of those
>> occasions when it isn't clear which list is the right list.  Since I am
>> using MinGW to compile and link it seemed to me that MinGW was at least
>> one of the right places to ask this question.  The DLL's from Cygwin
>> seemed to me to be sort of "anyone's"  GPL'd DLL's---in this case the
>> code originated with GNU and as near as I know Cygwin was merely a
>> convenient repository for the compiled code.
>
> If it's compiled with Cygwin GCC (without the -mno-cygwin option) then it
> depends on the Cygwin runtime (cygwin*.dll I think) and we cannot support
> it here. The only place to ask would be the Cygwin list.
>
> Most probably they will tell you that they cannot support mixing their
> DLLs with software compiled with MinGW due to incompatibilities between
> the runtimes, and they cannot help you either. They will probably advise
> you not to mix cygwin and non-cygwin DLLs, and refuse to help you if you
> do, which is not unreasonable because the Cygwin and MSVCRT runtimes are
> not compatible and cannot be made compatible.
>
>> I am using MSFT's cmd.exe to deal with the code, not MSYS.
>
> The command console has nothing to do with it, I'm afraid. it appears that
> you're mixing code compiled with different compilers and using different
> (incompatible) runtimes and expecting it to work, which in general it will
> not and cannot. If you are not mixing them (your GSL does not depend on
> the Cygwin runtime in any way), please prove it.
>
> Cheers, Chris.
> --
> _ ___ __     _
>  / __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <0000 at qwirx.com> - Cambs UK |
> / (_/ ,\/ _/ /_ \ | Security/C/C++/Java/Perl/SQL/HTML Developer |
> \ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU-free your mind-and your software |

> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list
> etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

Re: Problem Using GNU Scientific Library

Mark Allyn
Hi Uwe,

Thanks for your help on this.  If you've been following these postings you
will no doubt be aware I need all the help I can get.

Having learned the hard way that what I was trying to do with MinGW would
cause the system to hang, I'm willing to try to download the GSL source code
and compile it INTO MinGW.  This is where I need your help badly.

Would you mind awfully explaining how you went through the compilation
process.  I have MinGW installed obviously, and I also (now) have MSYS
installed.  If I download version 1.13 of GSL in source form, what are the
steps for doing the compilation?

Thanks very very much.

Mark Allyn
>>Cygwin figures in this because my download of GSL was taken from Cygwin,
>>not
>>directly from GNU.org.  So all the machinery for doing the GSL calcs is
>>sitting in the c:\cygwin directory.  I used Cygwin because when I've tried
>>to download GSL from GNU.org I kept having problems getting a complete
>>download.  Files would wind up not coming down.  Never figured out why.
>
> Not sure what you are doing.
> The link is
> <http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gsl/gsl-1.13.tar.gz>http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gsl/gsl-1.13.tar.gz
> so it is just one file.
>
> You can easily unpack it with eg. 7zip and then compile it under msys.
> After install I copied manually the files in the /mingw/lib and
> /mingw/include dirs.
>
> With gsl it works smoothly. Other projects need help from more
> experienced users.
>

> The home page (docs) is at http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/
>
> Regards,
> Uwe
>

> ___________________________
> PD Dr. Uwe Rossow
> TU Braunschweig
> Inst. f. Angewandte Physik
> Mendelssohnstr. 2
> 38106 Braunschweig
> Fax: 0531-391 8511
> Email: [hidden email]
> Tel.: 0531-391 8523 (good luck!)

> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list
> etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

Re: Problem Using GNU Scientific Library

Uwe R.
Hi!

>Bear in mind that I am a novice user with no aspirations to become a
>developer.  My conclusions are that life is simplest
>1.  If I want to run Cygwin versions of various DLL's or static libs then I
>should run the code off Cygwin's shell (or their Xterm version).

yes.

>2.  If I want to run MinGW versions of various DLL's or static libs then I
>shoud run the code off MSYS.

no

>3.  If I want to run VisualC++ versious of various DLL's or static libs then
>I should run the code off CMD.exe

yes.

would be my answers (keep in mind that the other guys are the experts
- I am an user).

You should use msys only for compiling packages. You can use it for
running programs
but you can do it also with cmd (I do). I am pretty sure that a
windows program will work as well with gsl
(I think I tried already the test hello program).

>Thanks again.  And, Uwe, I have a question for you later about compiling GSL
>for MinGW, but I won't clutter up this posting with that question..

No problem, I can also try to pack a compiled version for try out.

(Dont worry about compiling packages with msys: either its easy or
not working, just give it a try
and the list is helpful when it goes wrong)

Best regards,
Uwe

___________________________
PD Dr. Uwe Rossow
TU Braunschweig
Inst. f. Angewandte Physik
Mendelssohnstr. 2
38106 Braunschweig
Fax: 0531-391 8511
Email: [hidden email]
Tel.: 0531-391 8523 (good luck!)

On 2010-03-09 16:49Z, Mark Allyn wrote:

> Bear in mind that I am a novice user with no aspirations to become a
> developer.  My conclusions are that life is simplest
> 1.  If I want to run Cygwin versions of various DLL's or static libs then I
> should run the code off Cygwin's shell (or their Xterm version).
> 2.  If I want to run MinGW versions of various DLL's or static libs then I
> shoud run the code off MSYS.
> 3.  If I want to run VisualC++ versious of various DLL's or static libs then
> I should run the code off CMD.exe

Those rules tie a compiler to a shell, which is an unnecessary restriction.
It's true that if you build a Cygwin program that depends on some Cygwin
DLLs, those DLLs will probably be on the default PATH that's set up when
you start a Cygwin shell; but, as others have explained, you can take care
of that by adding their directory to your PATH, or by placing a copy of
every required DLL in the same directory as your application.

The rule you really need is this: avoid mixing compilers. In particular,
if you want to compile a program that uses a Cygwin dll, then compile it
with the Cygwin compiler.

> Is this acceptable rule of thumb?  If so, I have learned a lot and thank
> you.  Of course, the story for the users (not developers) is a bit
> depressing.  I say this only because it is convenient for us to do what I
> tried to do:  namely grab someone else's DLL and link it dynamically with
> code compiled under a different compiler/compiler setting.  If you like (as
> I do) to download "the same thing" once and once only, this part of the
> process becomes something of a nuisance.

There exist platforms that work that way. You can mix compilers on an
itanium platform, even for C++, because the compiler writers agreed on
a common interface to make that possible. On a GNU/Linux system, most
likely everything you'd download was built with the same compiler, so
compatibility is easy. But in general ms windows just isn't like that,
and Cygwin in particular doesn't strive for binary compatibility with
anything outside its own world.

Re: Problem Using GNU Scientific Library

K. Frank
Hello -

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Greg Chicares <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2010-03-09 16:49Z, Mark Allyn wrote:
> The rule you really need is this: avoid mixing compilers. In particular,
> if you want to compile a program that uses a Cygwin dll, then compile it
> with the Cygwin compiler.
> and Cygwin in particular doesn't strive for binary compatibility with
> anything outside its own world.

Note, however, that in Mark's specific case, he does not appear to
have a compiler
incompatibly.

Mark stated:

   I followed your suggestion to copy the DLL's into the .exe directory.  In
   all, there were four of them (so far).  [Presumably cyggsl-0.dll and three
   others.]  The program runs and spits out a Bessel function and also a
   message box (a la windows).  So, this approach certainly can work.

He downloaded some dll's (that happen to have "cyg" in the name), and they
work, apparently correctly, at runtime with the program he wrote and compiled.
His test shows that the dll's are binary compatible with his exe, and strongly
suggest that his exe is not dependent on the cygwin runtime.

It's good to make clear the potential incompatibilities between
various compilers,
and between cygwin and mingw, but they don't seemed to be at issue in this
particular case with what Mark is doing with gsl.

K. Frank

Re: Problem Using GNU Scientific Library

Chris Wilson-4
Hi K,

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, K. Frank wrote:

>> The rule you really need is this: avoid mixing compilers. In
>> particular, if you want to compile a program that uses a Cygwin dll,
>> then compile it with the Cygwin compiler. ... and Cygwin in particular
>> doesn't strive for binary compatibility with anything outside its own
>> world.
>
> Note, however, that in Mark's specific case, he does not appear to have
> a compiler incompatibly.
> He downloaded some dll's (that happen to have "cyg" in the name), and
> they work, apparently correctly, at runtime with the program he wrote
> and compiled. His test shows that the dll's are binary compatible with
> his exe, and strongly suggest that his exe is not dependent on the
> cygwin runtime.
>
> It's good to make clear the potential incompatibilities between various
> compilers, and between cygwin and mingw, but they don't seemed to be at
> issue in this particular case with what Mark is doing with gsl.

I disagree that this proves anything. Mixing runtimes can cause
instability in the application due to anything from silently corrupting
memory to failure to terminate the application properly (perhaps by trying
to lock a semaphone in exit() which needs to be initialised before calling
main()). The application hanging on exit, or at any other time, could
easily be a symptom of mixing runtimes.

Cheers, Chris.
--
_ ___ __     _

On Tuesday 09 March 2010 17:38:52 Uwe Rossow wrote:
> >1.  If I want to run Cygwin versions of various DLL's or static
> > libs then I should run the code off Cygwin's shell (or their
> > Xterm version).
>
> yes.

Agreed; definitely yes.

> >2.  If I want to run MinGW versions of various DLL's or static
> > libs then I shoud run the code off MSYS.
>
> no

Here, I mildly disagree.  This is down to personal choice; use either
MSYS shell or cmd.exe according to preference.

> >3.  If I want to run VisualC++ versious of various DLL's or
> > static libs then I should run the code off CMD.exe
>
> yes.

Again, I mildly disagree.  Once more, it's down to personal choice
between MSYS shell and cmd.exe

Do note that personal preferences are likely to differ, between those
for whom (2) is predominant, and those for whom it is (3).

> You should use msys only for compiling packages.

Not so; (you even go on to contradict yourself, in the very next
sentence...

> You can use it for running programs

You certainly can; for those who prefer a more Unix like environment,
even for running native Win32 applications, it is an ideal substitute
for cmd.exe

> but you can do it also with cmd (I do).

And I don't.  This is where the personal choice comes in; Uwe's
choice is to use cmd.exe, which is fine, and right for him, while my
preference makes the MSYS shell right for me.

> I am pretty sure that a
> windows program will work as well with gsl

Provided you are using a native (MinGW or MSVC, subject to the usual
caveats about mixing compilers) build of GSL, it should work equally
well, whether you choose to use cmd.exe or the MSYS shell as your
command line interpreter.

> No problem, I can also try to pack a compiled version for try out.

I've already done that, conforming to MinGW packaging standards,
pending upload to SF on demand, and subject to the restrictions on
continuing maintenance I outlined earlier.

12