PROCESS_SUSPEND_RESUME is missing in winnt.h

PROCESS_SUSPEND_RESUME is missing in winnt.h

Vincent Torri

Hey,

according to msdn:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms684880(VS.85).aspx

PROCESS_SUSPEND_RESUME is available, but is missing in winnt.h. Is there a
reason for that ?

thank you

Vincent Torri

2) Thread hijacking

Re: PROCESS_SUSPEND_RESUME is missing in winnt.h

Vincent Torri

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Vincent Torri wrote:

> Hey,
>
> according to msdn:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms684880(VS.85).aspx
>
> PROCESS_SUSPEND_RESUME is available, but is missing in winnt.h. Is there a
> reason for that ?

so nobody is interesting in adding a missing value in win32api ?

Vincent Torri

> thank you
>
> Vincent Torri

2) Thread hijacking

Re: PROCESS_SUSPEND_RESUME is missing in winnt.h

Tuomo Latto

http://www.mingw.org/wiki/SubmitPatches

--
Tuomo

... [Re: Open Vs Free BSD]
    > BWAAAHAHAHAHAH, what a bunch of  retards
    > Please stop sending this crap to OBSD lists.
    That is surely one of the most brilliant replies I've ever
    seen from an advocacy@ address.
       -- http://archive.netbsd.se/?ml=openbsd-advocacy&m=10956638

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Tuomo Latto wrote:

> Vincent Torri wrote:
>>> according to msdn:
>>>
>>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms684880(VS.85).aspx
>>>
>>> PROCESS_SUSPEND_RESUME is available, but is missing in winnt.h. Is there a
>>> reason for that ?
>>
>> so nobody is interesting in adding a missing value in win32api ?
>
> http://www.mingw.org/wiki/SubmitPatches

adding a define takes at most 1mn, no need to open a bug for that

Vincent Torri

2) Thread hijacking

Re: PROCESS_SUSPEND_RESUME is missing in winnt.h

Chris Sutcliffe-2
>>> so nobody is interesting in adding a missing value in win32api ?
>>
>> http://www.mingw.org/wiki/SubmitPatches
>
> adding a define takes at most 1mn, no need to open a bug for that

For tracking purposes it would be beneficial to add an official bug
report.  I do generally scan through my email for bug report /
patches, but having it tracked through the official channels is
definitely the way to go, as it's more reliable than my memory.

In terms of interest in adding it, I most definitely am.  Updating
w32api and creating a new release is on my To-Do list, as are many
other things.  It's all a matter of time and at this particular point
I don't have much of it I'm afraid.

Chris

--
Chris Sutcliffe
http://emergedesktop.org

2) Thread hijacking

Re: PROCESS_SUSPEND_RESUME is missing in winnt.h

Keith Marshall
On Tuesday 20 October 2009 16:35:28 Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
> [...]

Yes -- you are!

>>> http://www.mingw.org/wiki/SubmitPatches
>>
>> adding a define takes at most 1mn, no need to open a bug for
>> that

He didn't ask you to file a bug report; he invited you to submit a
patch.  There is a subtle difference.  Besides, while it might only
take a minute to add the #define, there is more to processing a
patch than just that:

  * An accompanying ChangeLog entry is required
  * There may be issues regarding visibility, wrt Windows version;
    (the reference you cited doesn't mention any minimum version
     providing the necessary support, so that may need research).

A patch submission gives us a central clearing point, where such
issues may be addressed, and, as Chris says...

> For tracking purposes it would be beneficial to add an official
> bug report.  I do generally scan through my email for bug report /
> patches, but having it tracked through the official channels is
> definitely the way to go, as it's more reliable than my memory.

So, you want it now, but those who you are asking to do the actual
work may have other priorities; the more of the work *you* can do up
front, in the form of a patch submission, the more likely we are to
follow it up in a timely fashion, (and the less likely it is to be
forgotten, because, unlike just mentioning it on the list, the bug
or patch trackers require a sign-off).

> In terms of interest in adding it, I most definitely am.

As, indeed, am I, and while it is Chris who will actually make the
release...

> Updating w32api and creating a new release is on my To-Do list, as
> are many other things.  It's all a matter of time and at this
> particular point I don't have much of it I'm afraid.

Like Chris, I am pressed for time, so the more assistance you can
give by preparing an appropriate patch, the less demand you place on
our already limited time, and the quicker it may get processed.

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Keith Marshall wrote:

> Yes -- you are!

no comment...

>>> adding a define takes at most 1mn, no need to open a bug for
>>> that
>
> He didn't ask you to file a bug report; he invited you to submit a
> patch.  There is a subtle difference.  Besides, while it might only
> take a minute to add the #define, there is more to processing a
> patch than just that:
>
>  * An accompanying ChangeLog entry is required
1mn

>  * There may be issues regarding visibility, wrt Windows version;

1mn (the msdn web page, as the mingw guys do not want to take any other
occurrence of the API (no wine, no reactos, no etc...)

>    (the reference you cited doesn't mention any minimum version
>     providing the necessary support, so that may need research).

it mentions at least that it works on win xp, as there is 2 mentions of
some macros with doc about win xp and win server 2003. If it is not the
case, why are the other PROCESS macro in winnt.h ?

3mn to read the coments

4 mn. Let's take 10 mn for the whole process. I'm sure that a dev can
take 10mn in a day to commit the fix.

> A patch submission gives us a central clearing point, where such
> issues may be addressed, and, as Chris says...
>
>> For tracking purposes it would be beneficial to add an official
>> bug report.  I do generally scan through my email for bug report /
>> patches, but having it tracked through the official channels is
>> definitely the way to go, as it's more reliable than my memory.
>
> So, you want it now, but those who you are asking to do the actual
> work may have other priorities; the more of the work *you* can do up
> front, in the form of a patch submission, the more likely we are to
> follow it up in a timely fashion, (and the less likely it is to be
> forgotten, because, unlike just mentioning it on the list, the bug
> or patch trackers require a sign-off).
sorry, i will not wait several **months** to have a working win32api. I'm
a user. I have also a lot of things to do myself. I prefer fixing that in
winnt.h directly. I give you the problem, *trivial* to fix. It's up to you
to do the job, now.

And I'm sure that the time that you took to answer that mail would have
been sufficient to fix the problem...

>> In terms of interest in adding it, I most definitely am.
>
> As, indeed, am I, and while it is Chris who will actually make the
> release...
>
>> Updating w32api and creating a new release is on my To-Do list, as
>> are many other things.  It's all a matter of time and at this
>> particular point I don't have much of it I'm afraid.
>
> Like Chris, I am pressed for time, so the more assistance you can
> give by preparing an appropriate patch, the less demand you place on
> our already limited time, and the quicker it may get processed.
see my remark just above

as usual, the mingw development is extremely slow. Several years to have a
new msys, several years to have a new gcc. I have already filled some
bugs, with some patches. The answer of the devs are done several weeks
later, saying that the patch is not correct, that the ChangeLog is not
updated, that the source of the information is not good, etc... And
waiting several weeks between each reply.

See: I have sent the mail one week ago. I had been obliged to resent the
mail to have an answer...

And I'm sure that, after reading my answer,  you will have in mind
something like : "Vincent, you could have wrote the patch instead of
writing that mail...". The problem would have been the same : how long
would it take to have the patch applied and a new release ?

Vincent Torri

2) Thread hijacking

Re: PROCESS_SUSPEND_RESUME is missing in winnt.h

Keith Marshall
See the problem here?

On Tuesday 20 October 2009 22:32:07 Vincent Torri wrote:
> Let's take 10 mn for the whole process. I'm sure that a dev can
> take 10mn in a day to commit the fix.

And ten minutes each, for each of 50 other trivial fixes, all of
which may be much more important to that developer than this trivial
item which seems so important to *you*.

> sorry, i will not wait several **months** to have a working
> win32api. I'm a user...

...of MinGW, and as such, you are potentially as much one of its
developers as any of the rest of us; MinGW is an open source project
developed by its community of users.

> I have also a lot of things to do myself. I
> prefer fixing that in winnt.h directly. I give you the problem,
> *trivial* to fix. It's up to you to do the job, now.

And this, precisely, is the nub of the issue.  You have the ability
to fix it -- I'm sure you've even done so in your own workspace --
but rather than simply contribute your fix in a readily usable form,
you demand that someone else go over the same ground again?  Well I'm
sorry, but while we thank you for the notification, this issue to
which *you* attach so much importance hasn't affected *me*; until it
does, reworking your fix is right at the bottom of my priority list.

> And I'm sure that the time that you took to answer that mail would
> have been sufficient to fix the problem...

Sure, I could have done so, *if*, at the time when I answered, I
actually had access to a repository where I could commit it; (I was
working off line at the time, so couldn't do that -- the message was
transmitted later, without any further intervention from me).

And yes, (in case you hadn't guessed it), I'm again working off line;
I'm also playing Devil's Advocate here.  We are genuinely grateful
for your notification of the issue, and it likely will be addressed
when someone else gets around to it, but for most of us it is a low
priority issue.  It's something I might defer, until another day
when I'm looking at some other problem in the same vicinity, (but I
don't participate extensively in w32api development anyway -- it's
more likely that Chris will address it).  In the meantime, we may
forget about it altogether; that's less likely to happen with a
formal patch submission.

2) Thread hijacking