Objective-C for MinGW - problem

Gary Dumer
I'm trying to use Objective-C with MinGW, but I get the following error message:

gcc: C:\LMGMC~1\main.m: Objective-C compiler not installed on this system

I use the following command-line statement to compile my program:

gcc main.m -o prog1 -l objc

I downloaded "gcc-objc for Objective C" from the MinGW site and added the files to the proper directory. I have the latest distro of MinGW. Is there anything I have to do to "install" Objective-C other than that?

Gary

Re: Objective-C for MinGW - problem

Marc Vaillant
On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 09:39:13AM -0700, Gary Dumer wrote:

> I'm trying to use Objective-C with MinGW, but I get the following error
> message:
>
> gcc: C:\LMGMC~1\main.m: Objective-C compiler not installed on this system
>
> I use the following command-line statement to compile my program:
>
> gcc main.m -o prog1 -l objc
>
> I downloaded "gcc-objc for Objective C" from the MinGW site and added the files
> to the proper directory. I have the latest distro of MinGW. Is there anything I
> have to do to "install" Objective-C other than that?

Well, not sure about that procedure but I compiled gcc from source with
support for objc and it works fine for me.

If you are on a mac, there's a nice installation of the mingw cross
compiler, together with a port of the cocoa frameworks.  The project is
called cocotron.  http://www.cocotron.com/  I haven't yet tried it but
it looks very nice.

Good luck,
Marc

Re: Objective-C for MinGW - problem

Gary Dumer
For whatever reason, I discovered that if I compile the program directly from the MinGW \bin directory... it works. What's strange is that I have "c:\MinGW\bin" in my system PATH. At any rate, I'm able to compile now. Thanks for the reply.

Gary.