[OT] Unable to use Google Mail accounts?

[OT] Unable to use Google Mail accounts?

sowiso
Well,

it seems that either the SF mailing-list system or the configuration of
this list has a bug!
Since you guys know, the From address must EXACTLY match with the
address you used for subscribing.

However, with Google Mail this cannot be fulfilled too easily!

Mine is [hidden email], but often gets auto-translated to
[hidden email] or [hidden email]. Yes, all three are
valid and point to the very same address. And no, I did not manually
define any aliases!
When trying to subscribe on here (in several attempts!!),
mingw-list-owner sent the mail to the address translated to
@googlemail.com, but in my confirmation e-mail I could read the
@gmail.com account - however, not [hidden email], but
[hidden email] with a dot in it!

This way, it logically will be near impossible to predict whether the
>From address comparison will work or not. Maybe the addresses are
sometimes arbitrarily translated? For how can it be that
mingw-list-owner sends his mails to the @googlemail variant, although
I've definitely specified @gmail.com in my mailer?

Moreover whenever I tried to post here, I got my mail as an attachment
and a complaint to please use the original mail address when I
subscribed. However, I cannot predict Google's translating rules.

Hence, as buggy as the mailing-list system is at the moment, I cannot
recommend the use of a Google Mail address at all. Gladly I had one of
my emergency GMX addresses spare, otherwise you could not read me here
now.

-Andreas

P.S Here's parts of the old confirmation e-mails:

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

Welcome to the [hidden email] mailing list! We
would like to extend our welcome to you in joining our MinGW
discussions

<snip>

And now, mailing-list-owner comes into place (same subscription!!)

To: [hidden email]

^^^^
GOOGLEMAIL, not gmail!!

Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 20:48:14 +0000

--===============4889588310863374076==

Due to spam issues this MinGW list is a member only list.

<snip>

Re: [OT] Unable to use Google Mail accounts?

Steve Totaro
Just use hotmail.......

username.ml@googlemail.com or username.ml@gmail.com. Yes, all three are
username.ml@gmail.com with a dot in it!

From: [hidden email]
To: username.ml@gmail.com

Welcome to the [hidden email] mailing list! We
would like to extend our welcome to you in joining our MinGW
discussions

<snip>

And now, mailing-list-owner comes into place (same subscription!!)

To: username.ml@googlemail.com

^^^^
GOOGLEMAIL, not gmail!!

Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 20:48:14 +0000

--===============4889588310863374076==

Due to spam issues this MinGW list is a member only list.

<snip>

Steve Totaro
+18887771888 (Toll Free)
+12409381212 (Cell)
+12024369784 (Skype)

Quoting sowiso <[hidden email]>:

> Well,
>
> it seems that either the SF mailing-list system or the configuration of
> this list has a bug!
> Since you guys know, the From address must EXACTLY match with the
> address you used for subscribing.
>
> However, with Google Mail this cannot be fulfilled too easily!
>
> Mine is [hidden email], but often gets auto-translated to
> [hidden email] or [hidden email]. Yes, all three are
> valid and point to the very same address. And no, I did not manually
> define any aliases!
> When trying to subscribe on here (in several attempts!!),
> mingw-list-owner sent the mail to the address translated to
> @googlemail.com, but in my confirmation e-mail I could read the
> @gmail.com account - however, not [hidden email], but
> [hidden email] with a dot in it!

Since this isn't MinGW specific you will need to open a support request
with SourceForge so that they can resolve this.  Those who have this
issue will need to open a separate issue with SF to raise the priority
of the resolution.