Quantcast

Mingw-msys mount problem

hurcan solter
Well, this is very basic but I can't mount a directory in msys neither adding to /etc/fstab
nor from the terminal.
Example:
$mount

C:\Users\hsolter\AppData\Local\Temp on /tmp type user (binmode,noumount
C:\MinGW\msys\1.0 on /usr type user (binmode,noumount)
C:\MinGW\msys\1.0 on / type user (binmode,noumount)
C:\MinGW on /mingw type user (binmode)
c: on /c type user (binmode,noumount)
d: on /d type user (binmode,noumount)
e: on /e type user (binmode,noumount)
f: on /f type user (binmode,noumount)
g: on /g type user (binmode,noumount)
i: on /i type user (binmode,noumount)
j: on /j type user (binmode,noumount)

$ mount 'C:/MinGW/mingw32/' /mingw32

$ cd /mingw32
sh: cd: /mingw32: No such file or directory

$ mount 'C:/MinGW/mingw32/' /mingw32
/bin/mount: mount point '/mingw32' is already in use

$mount

C:\Users\hsolter\AppData\Local\Temp on /tmp type user (binmode,noumount)
C:\MinGW\msys\1.0 on /usr type user (binmode,noumount)
C:\MinGW\msys\1.0 on / type user (binmode,noumount)
C:\MinGW on /mingw type user (binmode)
c: on /c type user (binmode,noumount)
d: on /d type user (binmode,noumount)
e: on /e type user (binmode,noumount)
f: on /f type user (binmode,noumount)
g: on /g type user (binmode,noumount)
i: on /i type user (binmode,noumount)
j: on /j type user (binmode,noumount)

$ cat /etc/fstab
C:/MinGW/   /mingw
C:/MinGW/mingw32/       /mingw32

---------------------------------------
mount acknowledges that the directory is mounted(somehow) but I can't seem to access it.
Restarting msys shell also has no effect.From where the existing entries are read? Registry or some other file?

Re: Mingw-msys mount problem

lrn-2

Re: Mingw-msys mount problem

hurcan solter

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 2:06 AM, LRN <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 28.05.2013 01:05, hurcan solter wrote:
> Well, this is very basic but I can't mount a directory in msys neither adding
> to /etc/fstab
> nor from the terminal.

The way that does work is this:
1) Add the mount to /etc/fstab
2) Exit from all instances of MSys that use this /etc/fstab file
3) Run MSys again

Hah , I was about the reiterate I've already tried restarting msys
(that is kill all sh.exe instances) but after your post decided to recheck
task manager and found a cat.exe still running (orphaned is the correct term I guess)
after killing it I was able to mount the directory from the terminal and it was there after
the restart.I am guessing my previous attempts spawned(forked?) the same process anew without
initialization.Asking out of curiosity, is that the case?

The Doh moment was enlightening :). Thanks a lot.

Re: Mingw-msys mount problem

Earnie Boyd
On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 8:25 PM, Hurcan Solter wrote:

> Hah , I was about the reiterate I've already tried restarting msys
> (that is kill all sh.exe instances) but after your post decided to recheck
> task manager and found a cat.exe still running (orphaned is the correct term
> I guess)
> after killing it I was able to mount the directory from the terminal and it
> was there after
> the restart.I am guessing my previous attempts spawned(forked?) the same
> process anew without
> initialization.Asking out of curiosity, is that the case?
>
> The Doh moment was enlightening :). Thanks a lot.

Taking a guess I would think that it is probable that the thread
watching the /etc directory for changes failed (or didn't even
trigger) because of the orphaned process.