MinGWStudio on Ubuntu

mopuss
Hi, now sure if this is the right place to ask about this but it
seemed the best bet. Will also try Ubuntu forums, which I've just
registered with.

I am trying to follow along with a C++ programming book I just took
out of the library, but I can't seem to get the supplied MinGWStudio
IDE on the CD to work. I've extracted the tar.gz file to my harddrive
and it creates a folder MinGWStudio but when I double click on the
MinGWStudio file inside the folder nothing happens. Googling
'MinGWStudio' leads to www.parinyasoft.com/  but this site is down.
So, does anyone know if MinGWStudio actually does work on Ubuntu? Am I
missing something really obvious (am a Linux newbie) or does it just
not work?

Thanks in advance for any help.

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: MinGWStudio on Ubuntu

Tuomo Latto
[hidden email] wrote:
> I am trying to follow along with a C++ programming book I just took
> out of the library, but I can't seem to get the supplied MinGWStudio
> IDE on the CD to work. I've extracted the tar.gz file to my harddrive
> and it creates a folder MinGWStudio but when I double click on the
> MinGWStudio file inside the folder nothing happens. Googling
> 'MinGWStudio' leads to www.parinyasoft.com/  but this site is down.
> So, does anyone know if MinGWStudio actually does work on Ubuntu? Am I
> missing something really obvious (am a Linux newbie) or does it just
> not work?

Hey, the site says "It works!"

Seriously, though, this is not the place get support for MinGWStudio.
That said, maybe the Wayback Machine helps until they fix it?
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.parinyasoft.com/

--
Tuomo

... Energizer Bunny Arrested! Charged with battery

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: MinGWStudio on Ubuntu

Caleb Cushing
I'd recommend installing g++ and other needed development tools on
ubuntu, and then learning how to use those.

--
Caleb Cushing

Quoting Tuomo Latto <[hidden email]>:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> I am trying to follow along with a C++ programming book I just took
>> out of the library, but I can't seem to get the supplied MinGWStudio
>> IDE on the CD to work. I've extracted the tar.gz file to my harddrive
>> and it creates a folder MinGWStudio but when I double click on the
>> MinGWStudio file inside the folder nothing happens. Googling
>> 'MinGWStudio' leads to www.parinyasoft.com/  but this site is down.
>> So, does anyone know if MinGWStudio actually does work on Ubuntu? Am I
>> missing something really obvious (am a Linux newbie) or does it just
>> not work?
>
> Hey, the site says "It works!"
>
> Seriously, though, this is not the place get support for MinGWStudio.
> That said, maybe the Wayback Machine helps until they fix it?
> http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.parinyasoft.com/

Correct, MinGW does not support this non open software.  We even try to
dissuade its use since it is not Open Source.

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.