MinGW 64Bit

GavinW

hi there,

I have a requirement to build a 64Bit version of Strawberry Perl, and i was
pointed in the direction of MinGW 64 in order to build Strawberry. You will
have to forgive my ignorance if some of these questions are straightforward,
i am relatively new to this...

So, my first question is:
1) Is there a working release of MinGW 64?
I've found the
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=202880&package_id=245516&release_id=546049
mingw-w64-bin   on SF, but it says it's still in a Beta state...

If the answer to the above is yes, then
2) What do i have to do in order to get a working MinGW 64 env? Does it have
to be a x64 base, or can i cross compile from 32Bit XP?

Any help appreciated.

Regards
Gavin Williams

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: MinGW 64Bit

sisyphus1

Re: MinGW 64Bit

NightStrike
On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 2:05 PM, fatmcgav <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi there,
>
> I have a requirement to build a 64Bit version of Strawberry Perl, and i was
> pointed in the direction of MinGW 64 in order to build Strawberry. You will
> have to forgive my ignorance if some of these questions are straightforward,
> i am relatively new to this...

Welcome!

I don't know anything about Strawberry Perl, but I know plenty about
our toolchains :)

> So, my first question is:
> 1) Is there a working release of MinGW 64?
> I've found the
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=202880&package_id=245516&release_id=546049
> mingw-w64-bin   on SF, but it says it's still in a Beta state...

Nope.  Beta it is.  We feel it's important to still be in beta until
we can fully support all of the GCC languages (java and ada are still
pending).

> If the answer to the above is yes, then
> 2) What do i have to do in order to get a working MinGW 64 env? Does it have
> to be a x64 base, or can i cross compile from 32Bit XP?

Download the most recent toolchain for your desired build platform
(bear in mind that you can run the win32-hosted toolchain easily on a
win64 box.)

Extract it to some directory (dir), and put the bin directory off of
that in your PATH (dir/bin or dir\bin).

Compile.

:)

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: MinGW 64Bit

GavinW

Rob,

I would love to stick with 32bit perl on the x64 box, however the issue i'm
having is that 32bit perl wont read more than 4Gb of Ram, which is no good
for what i want to do with Perl... hence the need for a 64bit
installation...
Unless there's another way i can do the Ram Counting in Perl 32bit on a
64bit box with over 8Gb of Ram???

Cheers
Gavin

> [...]

NS-6,

Cheers for the info...

Shall give it a go when i can find a 64bit machine to use for dev purposes
:(

Cheers
Gavin

NS-6 wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 2:05 PM, fatmcgav <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> hi there,
>>
>> I have a requirement to build a 64Bit version of Strawberry Perl, and i
>> was
>> pointed in the direction of MinGW 64 in order to build Strawberry. You
>> will
>> have to forgive my ignorance if some of these questions are
>> straightforward,
>> i am relatively new to this...
>
> Welcome!
>
> I don't know anything about Strawberry Perl, but I know plenty about
> our toolchains :)
>
>> So, my first question is:
>> 1) Is there a working release of MinGW 64?
>> I've found the
>> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=202880&package_id=245516&release_id=546049
>> mingw-w64-bin   on SF, but it says it's still in a Beta state...
>
> Nope.  Beta it is.  We feel it's important to still be in beta until
> we can fully support all of the GCC languages (java and ada are still
> pending).
>
>> If the answer to the above is yes, then
>> 2) What do i have to do in order to get a working MinGW 64 env? Does it
>> have
>> to be a x64 base, or can i cross compile from 32Bit XP?
>
> Download the most recent toolchain for your desired build platform
> (bear in mind that you can run the win32-hosted toolchain easily on a
> win64 box.)
>
> Extract it to some directory (dir), and put the bin directory off of
> that in your PATH (dir/bin or dir\bin).
>
> Compile.
>
> :)

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: MinGW 64Bit

Xavier Miller
Hello,

If you only have a 32-bit machine, the solution is to cross-compile from
within a 32-bit linux.

Or find a 64-bit binary. If it is not present, I guess this is because
it would be very difficult to get it working now on Win64.

Best wishes for 2009,
Xavier Miller.