Microsoft-style AssemblyInfo?

tim

Microsoft-style AssemblyInfo?

tim
I just learned today that Microsoft has a feature in dll and exe files
that let a user right-click the file name in File Manager and see a set
of properties for the file.

I believe that it is called "AssemblyInfo".  I'm not finding much joy in
Googling for information, though.

Am I using the right terminology, and is there any way to fill in these
blanks with MinGW?

TIA

Re: Microsoft-style AssemblyInfo?

John Brown
On Fri, 22 Aug 2014 19:31:23 -0700, Tim wrote:

> I just learned today that Microsoft has a feature in dll and exe files
> that let a user right-click the file name in File Manager and see a set
> of properties for the file.
>
> I believe that it is called "AssemblyInfo". I'm not finding much joy in
> Googling for information, though.
>
> Am I using the right terminology, and is there any way to fill in these
> blanks with MinGW?

Hello Tim,

Search for VERSIONINFO on MSDN. You need to create a resource script
(.rc file) containing a VERSIONINFO resource definition. Then you compile
the .rc file to an object file (.o) using windres (included with MinGW). Finally
you link the compiled resource into your executable along with the other
object files that make up your program. That is,

gcc -o myprog.o -c  myprog.c
windres -o myprog_rc.o -i myprog.rc
gcc -o myprog.exe myprog.o myprog_rc.o

See the topic "About Resource Files" in MSDN.

Regards,
John Brown.

tim

On 2014-08-23 06:21, John Brown wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Aug 2014 19:31:23 -0700, Tim wrote:
>

>> I just learned today that Microsoft has a feature in dll and exe files
>> that let a user right-click the file name in File Manager and see a
>> set
>> of properties for the file.
>>
>> I believe that it is called "AssemblyInfo". I'm not finding much joy
>> in
>> Googling for information, though.
>>
>> Am I using the right terminology, and is there any way to fill in
>> these
>> blanks with MinGW?
>>

> Hello Tim,
>
> Search for VERSIONINFO on MSDN. You need to create a resource script
> (.rc file) containing a VERSIONINFO resource definition. Then you
> compile
> the .rc file to an object file (.o) using windres (included with
> MinGW). Finally
> you link the compiled resource into your executable along with the
> other
> object files that make up your program. That is,
>
> gcc -o myprog.o -c  myprog.c
> windres -o myprog_rc.o -i myprog.rc
> gcc -o myprog.exe myprog.o myprog_rc.o
>
> See the topic "About Resource Files" in MSDN.

Thank you John.  I'll try this.  I used to program for Windows a long
time ago, at a hobbyist/hacker level.  But I've been programming for
deeply embedded devices, and using Linux, for so long now it's all
washed away.

Do you know if there's a way under Linux or Wine to interrogate an exe
or dll file for this information?  I'll be checking it on XP running in
a virtual machine, but not having to fire up the virtual machine every
time I work on the code base will be nice.

On Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 08:27:41 -0700, Tim wrote:

> On 2014-08-23 06:21, John Brown wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Aug 2014 19:31:23 -0700, Tim wrote:
>>

>>> I just learned today that Microsoft has a feature in dll and exe files
>>> that let a user right-click the file name in File Manager and see a
>>> set
>>> of properties for the file.
>>>
>>> I believe that it is called "AssemblyInfo". I'm not finding much joy
>>> in
>>> Googling for information, though.
>>>
>>> Am I using the right terminology, and is there any way to fill in
>>> these
>>> blanks with MinGW?
>>>

>> Hello Tim,
>>
>> Search for VERSIONINFO on MSDN.
>>

> Do you know if there's a way under Linux or Wine to interrogate an exe
> or dll file for this information?

Hello Tim,

I don't know of a way to do it. Maybe Dependency Walker will run under
Wine.

Regards,
John Brown.

Re: Microsoft-style AssemblyInfo?

Renato Silva
Maybe this article can help, see section "The Version Information Resource".

Here are two sample applications for reference:

I just learned today that Microsoft has a feature in dll and exe files
that let a user right-click the file name in File Manager and see a set
of properties for the file.

I believe that it is called "AssemblyInfo".  I'm not finding much joy in
Googling for information, though.

Am I using the right terminology, and is there any way to fill in these
blanks with MinGW?

TIA

We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.