MSYS make freezes

niXman
Hi,

I use MSYS to build MinGW within the MinGW-builds project.
If for make I specify '-jN' more than 1, then make freezes when it likes it.
Tell me please, someone faced with such a problem? Is there a solution
for this problem?

niXman
Dual-target(32 & 64 bit) MinGW compilers for 32 and 64 bit Windows:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/

Re: MSYS make freezes

Earnie Boyd
On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 12:22 PM, niXman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use MSYS to build MinGW within the MinGW-builds project.
> If for make I specify '-jN' more than 1, then make freezes when it likes it.
> Tell me please, someone faced with such a problem? Is there a solution
> for this problem?

Have you considered the BLODA?  Especially make sure that your
anti-virus software ignores your work directories.  I've successfully
used -j10 on my i7 8 cpu laptop but it may be specific to the package
and I haven't tried with building GCC yet.

Re: MSYS make freezes

niXman
2012/9/12 Earnie Boyd:

> Have you considered the BLODA?  Especially make sure that your
> anti-virus software ignores your work directories.

hmm... I didn't think about it...

Eran, you are using an antivirus, too? Have you tried with disabled Antivirus?

niXman
Dual-target(32 & 64 bit) MinGW compilers for 32 and 64 bit Windows:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/

Re: MSYS make freezes

Eran Ifrah

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM, niXman <[hidden email]> wrote:
2012/9/12 Earnie Boyd:

> Have you considered the BLODA?  Especially make sure that your
> anti-virus software ignores your work directories.

hmm... I didn't think about it...

Eran, you are using an antivirus, too? Have you tried with disabled Antivirus?

Nope, I am not using any antivirus software.

Also, I have 2 MinGW toolchains (different installations): the first one is MSYS and the second is TDM-GCC4.6.1.
The hang only happens when I am using the MSYS toolchain (installed using mingw-get)
It never happened to me when I used TDM-GCC toolchain running from within a cmd.exe shell (again, running mingw32-make -j4)

niXman
Dual-target(32 & 64 bit) MinGW compilers for 32 and 64 bit Windows:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/

Eran Ifrah
Author of codelite, a cross platform open source C/C++ IDE: http://www.codelite.org

Re: MSYS make freezes

niXman
2012/9/12 Eran Ifrah:

> The hang only happens when I am using the MSYS toolchain (installed using
> mingw-get)
I also have problems only with make that comes with MSYS.

> It never happened to me when I used TDM-GCC toolchain running from within a
> cmd.exe shell (again, running mingw32-make -j4)
Would make from TDM-GCC has support for job-server?

niXman
Dual-target(32 & 64 bit) MinGW compilers for 32 and 64 bit Windows:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/

Re: MSYS make freezes

Eli Zaretskii
> Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 23:23:05 +0400
> From: niXman <[hidden email]>
>
> 2012/9/12 Eran Ifrah:
>
> > The hang only happens when I am using the MSYS toolchain (installed using
> > mingw-get)
> I also have problems only with make that comes with MSYS.
>

> > It never happened to me when I used TDM-GCC toolchain running from within a
> > cmd.exe shell (again, running mingw32-make -j4)
> Would make from TDM-GCC has support for job-server?

The -j switch doesn't need the job server support to work.

Re: MSYS make freezes

niXman
2012/9/12 Eli Zaretskii:

> The -j switch doesn't need the job server support to work.

Why, in this case, make from mingw.org and from TDM-GCC builds only in
one process no matter what is indicated for '-j'? Qt for example.
At the same time, make from MSYS is executed in the specified number
of processes.
What's the difference?

niXman
Dual-target(32 & 64 bit) MinGW compilers for 32 and 64 bit Windows:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/

Re: MSYS make freezes

Eli Zaretskii
> Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 23:54:23 +0400
> From: niXman <[hidden email]>
>
> 2012/9/12 Eli Zaretskii:
>
> > The -j switch doesn't need the job server support to work.
>
> Why, in this case, make from mingw.org and from TDM-GCC builds only in
> one process no matter what is indicated for '-j'? Qt for example.
> At the same time, make from MSYS is executed in the specified number
> of processes.
> What's the difference?

You will only see a difference in recursive Make invocations.  If
there's no job server support sub-Make will by default run with -j1,
unless you explicitly give it a -jN argument.  With job server
support, you don't need an explicit -jN argument to sub-Make.

Re: MSYS make freezes

niXman
2012/9/13 Eli Zaretskii:

> You will only see a difference in recursive Make invocations.  If
> there's no job server support sub-Make will by default run with -j1,
> unless you explicitly give it a -jN argument.  With job server
> support, you don't need an explicit -jN argument to sub-Make.

This is exactly what I wrote above. That need job-server support.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Eran Ifrah wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM, niXman wrote:
>>
>> 2012/9/12 Earnie Boyd:
>>
>> > Have you considered the BLODA?  Especially make sure that your
>> > anti-virus software ignores your work directories.
>>
>> hmm... I didn't think about it...
>>

>> Eran, you are using an antivirus, too? Have you tried with disabled
>> Antivirus?
>>
> Nope, I am not using any antivirus software.
>
> Also, I have 2 MinGW toolchains (different installations): the first one is
> MSYS and the second is TDM-GCC4.6.1.
> The hang only happens when I am using the MSYS toolchain (installed using
> mingw-get)
> It never happened to me when I used TDM-GCC toolchain running from within a
> cmd.exe shell (again, running mingw32-make -j4)

Cesar, do you have some time to work with Eran and niXman to debug this?

Re: MSYS make freezes

> Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 07:30:46 +0400
> From: niXman <[hidden email]>
>
> 2012/9/13 Eli Zaretskii:
>
> > You will only see a difference in recursive Make invocations.  If
> > there's no job server support sub-Make will by default run with -j1,
> > unless you explicitly give it a -jN argument.  With job server
> > support, you don't need an explicit -jN argument to sub-Make.
>
> This is exactly what I wrote above. That need job-server support.

No, you didn't.  There was no reference to recursive Make invocation
anywhere in this sub-thread, AFAICS.

Re: MSYS make freezes

Cesar Strauss
On 09/12/2012 01:22 PM, niXman wrote:

> I use MSYS to build MinGW within the MinGW-builds project.
> If for make I specify '-jN' more than 1, then make freezes when it likes it.

I'll try to help with your problem.

Please tell me the following:

1) What is your operating system?

2) What software are you building (please provide a link)?

3) What is the full command-line that you type?

Regards,

Cesar

Re: MSYS make freezes

niXman
2012/9/14 Cesar Strauss:

Hi Cesar,

> 1) What is your operating system?
win7 64-bit.

> 2) What software are you building (please provide a link)?

I produce builds of MinGW as a part of MinGW-builds project(link in
the signature).
The following libraries/subprojects are used:
libiconv: http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/libiconv/libiconv-1.14.tar.gz
libgmp: ftp://ftp.gmplib.org/pub/gmp-5.0.5/gmp-5.0.5.tar.bz2
libmpc: http://www.multiprecision.org/mpc/download/mpc-1.0.1.tar.gz
libmpfr: ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/mpfr/mpfr-3.1.1.tar.bz2
ppl: http://bugseng.com/products/ppl/download/ftp/releases/1.0/ppl-1.0.tar.bz2
cloog: http://www.bastoul.net/cloog/pages/download/count.php3?url=./cloog-0.17.0.tar.gz
gcc-x.x.x: ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/releases/

> 3) What is the full command-line that you type?
make -jN all
make -jN install
make -jN install-strip

Make can freeze at any time and anywhere.

2012/9/14 niXman:

> I produce builds of MinGW as a part of MinGW-builds project(link in
> the signature).
> The following libraries/subprojects are used:
> libiconv: http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/libiconv/libiconv-1.14.tar.gz
> libgmp: ftp://ftp.gmplib.org/pub/gmp-5.0.5/gmp-5.0.5.tar.bz2
> libmpc: http://www.multiprecision.org/mpc/download/mpc-1.0.1.tar.gz
> libmpfr: ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/mpfr/mpfr-3.1.1.tar.bz2
> ppl: http://bugseng.com/products/ppl/download/ftp/releases/1.0/ppl-1.0.tar.bz2
> cloog: http://www.bastoul.net/cloog/pages/download/count.php3?url=./cloog-0.17.0.tar.gz
> gcc-x.x.x: ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/releases/
>

>> 3) What is the full command-line that you type?
> make -jN all
> make -jN install
> make -jN install-strip
>
> Make can freeze at any time and anywhere.

ping?

On 9/18/2012 7:47 AM, niXman wrote:

> 2012/9/14 niXman:
>
>> I produce builds of MinGW as a part of MinGW-builds project(link in
>> the signature).
>> The following libraries/subprojects are used:
>> libiconv: http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/libiconv/libiconv-1.14.tar.gz
>> libgmp: ftp://ftp.gmplib.org/pub/gmp-5.0.5/gmp-5.0.5.tar.bz2
>> libmpc: http://www.multiprecision.org/mpc/download/mpc-1.0.1.tar.gz
>> libmpfr: ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/mpfr/mpfr-3.1.1.tar.bz2
>> ppl: http://bugseng.com/products/ppl/download/ftp/releases/1.0/ppl-1.0.tar.bz2
>> cloog: http://www.bastoul.net/cloog/pages/download/count.php3?url=./cloog-0.17.0.tar.gz
>> gcc-x.x.x: ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/releases/
>>

>>> 3) What is the full command-line that you type?
>> make -jN all
>> make -jN install
>> make -jN install-strip
>>
>> Make can freeze at any time and anywhere.
>
> ping?

There are two courses of action I'll pursue:

Option #1: I follow your steps and see if I can see the hang on my
machine. Preferably, you could find a way to simplify the code and the
makefile to make it easier for me to run it and easier for me to find
the problem.

Option #2: I rebuild the make executable, adding debug information. You
run it under gdb, and try to find the line of code that freezes.

Regards,

Cesar

Re: MSYS make freezes

niXman
2012/9/19 Cesar Strauss:

> There are two courses of action I'll pursue:
>
> Option #1: I follow your steps and see if I can see the hang on my
> machine. Preferably, you could find a way to simplify the code and the
> makefile to make it easier for me to run it and easier for me to find
> the problem.
>
> Option #2: I rebuild the make executable, adding debug information. You
> run it under gdb, and try to find the line of code that freezes.

The simplest would be the first option.

To do this, you must:
1. download MSYS from the MinGW-builds project page[1]
2. download MinGW-builds scripts provided by MinGW-builds project: git
clone git://github.com/niXman/mingw-builds.git
3. in the file 'mingw-builds/build' edit lines 38-39
4. in the file 'mingw-builds/build' edit line 61 for set 'JOBS=N'
5. start the build MinGW with command: ./build gcc-4.7.1 x32
6. wait...

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/files/external-binary-packages/msys%2B7za%2Bwget%2Bsvn%2Bgit%2Bmercurial%2Bcvs-rev2.7z

2012/9/19 niXman:
> 3. in the file 'mingw-builds/build' edit lines 38-39

You don't have to install the host toolchains. When you first run
'mingw-builds/build' you will be prompted to install them
automatically.

niXman
Dual-target(32 & 64 bit) MinGW compilers for 32 and 64 bit Windows:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/

Re: MSYS make freezes

lrn-2

On 13.09.2012 15:31, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Eran Ifrah wrote:

>>> hmm... I didn't think about it...
>>>

>>> Eran, you are using an antivirus, too? Have you tried with
>>> disabled Antivirus?
>>>
>> Nope, I am not using any antivirus software.
>>
>> Also, I have 2 MinGW toolchains (different installations): the
>> first one is MSYS and the second is TDM-GCC4.6.1. The hang only
>> happens when I am using the MSYS toolchain (installed using
>> mingw-get) It never happened to me when I used TDM-GCC toolchain
>> running from within a cmd.exe shell (again, running mingw32-make
>> -j4)
>
> Cesar, do you have some time to work with Eran and niXman to debug
> this?

I've built my own msysCORE-1.0.18, with full debug symbols and no
optimizations (-g3 -O0), and from the looks of it the problem is in
wait_sig() function.
It contains an endless loop that does
DWORD rc = WaitForMultipleObjects (3, catchem, FALSE, sig_loop_wait);
Well, that call returns immediately with rc == 2.
Then the code loops through all the signals, checking
myself->getsigtodo (sig). That thing it set for SIGCHLD.
It then runs sig_handle(), which runs setup_handler().
That function immediately checks for sigsave.sig (which is set to
SIGCHLD), and if it's set, it jumps to set_pending label, where it
calls sig_set_pending and sig_dispatch_pending (since "interrupted" is
0), and then quickly returns.
The signal loop eventually ends, the code calls proc_subproc
(PROC_CLEARWAIT, 0), which does nothing, since waitq is empty.
Then the endless loop iterates again.
Because WaitForMultipleObjects() returns immediately, this code
busyloops, causing 100% CPU load on one core.

Meanwhile the other thread runs a wait_subproc() function, which
sleeps for 1 second, checking for children to wake up, or for a wakeup
event (which never gets set, since the functions that set it only run
when signal is handled, which doesn't happen).

To clarify: by the time `make' enters this loop, it has no child
processes left.