MSYS - $USERNAME with accents problems

BGINFO4X
 Hello,

I have a problem "solved" when $USERNAME has accents. I have two scenarios:

1) If you have the following username: cäsà, MSYS  1.0.18 will create
a BAD home directory called "/home/c„s…" instead of "/home/cäsà".

 After reading some posts, I concluded that:

 - MSYS uses the Windows console, that uses the Codepage 850.
 - And as stated in
http://mingw.5.n7.nabble.com/MSYS-code-page-td30544.html , msys.dll
uses the default setting as  CYGWIN=codepage:ansi

So In my opinion this is not congruent, and in fact, If I regularize
de codepage as:
set CYGWIN=codepage:oem
msys.bat

Then the $USERNAME home folder is created as expected - "/home/cäsà"

So the question here is:
does the msys.bat need to be updated with this information (set
CYGWIN=codepage:oem) to match the codepages between the windows
console and the msys.dll? Or I'm wrong?

2) Then after the login, I have the reverse problem (the CP is OEM):

If I do an echo "cäsà" > out.txt, I get the output: "c,,s...".

But, even If I change the CYGWIN variable to: export CYGWIN=codepage:ansi,
I can't get the correct output "cäsà", and I get "c,,s..." .

Can you help me in how to resolve this issue?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Re: MSYS - $USERNAME with accents problems

Earnie Boyd
On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 8:08 AM, BGINFO4X wrote:

> Can you help me in how to resolve this issue?

The only advice I have is to wait on MSYS2.

On Apr 16, 2013 2:29 PM, "Earnie Boyd" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 8:08 AM, BGINFO4X wrote:
> >
> > Can you help me in how to resolve this issue?
> >

> The only advice I have is to wait on MSYS2.

Is there any date prevision ?
Can I test it?

Thanks.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 5:22 AM, BGINFO4X wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2013 2:29 PM, "Earnie Boyd" wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 8:08 AM, BGINFO4X wrote:
>> >
>> > Can you help me in how to resolve this issue?
>> >

>> The only advice I have is to wait on MSYS2.
>
> Is there any date prevision ?
> Can I test it?

That is up to Alexey.  I don't know if he's watching this list.
However, the mingw-dvlpr has public view of archives.

Re: MSYS - $USERNAME with accents problems

BGINFO4X

> That is up to Alexey.  I don't know if he's watching this list.
> However, the mingw-dvlpr has public view of archives.

I have subscribed there.

Thanks a lot.

Re: MSYS - $USERNAME with accents problems

Keith Marshall
On 17 April 2013 14:39, BGINFO4X wrote:

> That is up to Alexey.  I don't know if he's watching this list.
> However, the mingw-dvlpr has public view of archives.

I have subscribed there.

You should not have done; subscription to that list is by invitation
only; see: http://mingw.org/joining_the_team

If you want to peruse the traffic, you will find the archives at
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.devel/

Re: MSYS - $USERNAME with accents problems

Alexpux

17.04.2013, в 13:22, BGINFO4X <[hidden email]> написал(а):

On Apr 16, 2013 2:29 PM, "Earnie Boyd" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 8:08 AM, BGINFO4X wrote:
> >
> > Can you help me in how to resolve this issue?
> >

> The only advice I have is to wait on MSYS2.

Is there any date prevision ?
Can I test it?

Hi!
I can upload my new version of MSYS2. What I done:

- mount all without ACL;
- read msys-style /etc/fstab;
- replace symlinks with copy;

2013/4/17 Keith Marshall <[hidden email]>:

> On 17 April 2013 14:39, BGINFO4X wrote:
>>

>> > That is up to Alexey.  I don't know if he's watching this list.
>> > However, the mingw-dvlpr has public view of archives.
>>
>> I have subscribed there.
>

> You should not have done; subscription to that list is by invitation
> only; see: http://mingw.org/joining_the_team
>
> If you want to peruse the traffic, you will find the archives at
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.devel/
>
> --

Yes, I was rejected.

Thanks, Searching ther archives is enough.

Regards.

2013/4/17 Alexpux <[hidden email]>:

> 17.04.2013, в 13:22, BGINFO4X <[hidden email]> написал(а):
>

> On Apr 16, 2013 2:29 PM, "Earnie Boyd" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 8:08 AM, BGINFO4X wrote:
>> >
>> > Can you help me in how to resolve this issue?
>> >

>> The only advice I have is to wait on MSYS2.
>
> Is there any date prevision ?
> Can I test it?
>

> Hi!
> I can upload my new version of MSYS2. What I done:
>
> - mount all without ACL;
> - read msys-style /etc/fstab;
> - replace symlinks with copy;

Ok, Can I get an executable/zip to install it ?

I can install it and test my application against MSYS2 (and report the
"bugs" or problems found).

Thanks a lot.

17.04.2013, в 19:19, BGINFO4X <[hidden email]> написал(а):

> 2013/4/17 Alexpux <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> 17.04.2013, в 13:22, BGINFO4X <[hidden email]> написал(а):

>>> The only advice I have is to wait on MSYS2.
>>
>> Is there any date prevision ?
>> Can I test it?
>>

>> Hi!
>> I can upload my new version of MSYS2. What I done:
>>
>> - mount all without ACL;
>> - read msys-style /etc/fstab;
>> - replace symlinks with copy;
>>

> Ok, Can I get an executable/zip to install it ?
>
> I can install it and test my application against MSYS2 (and report the
> "bugs" or problems found).
>
> Thanks a lot.

I'm on business trip now but I upload my last version of MSYS2.
You can download my last work from https://sourceforge.net/projects/lexx83.u/files/?

Re: MSYS - $USERNAME with accents problems

Renato Silva
Will MSYS2 address this bug? http://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/bugs/1676.

2013/4/20 Renato Silva <[hidden email]>
Will MSYS2 address this bug? http://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/bugs/1676.

This testcase doesn't work on MSYS2

2013/4/20 Алексей Павлов <[hidden email]>
2013/4/20 Renato Silva <[hidden email]>
Will MSYS2 address this bug? http://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/bugs/1676.

This testcase doesn't work on MSYS2

​What is the problem exactly?​

Re: MSYS - $USERNAME with accents problems

BGINFO4X
> I'm on business trip now but I upload my last version of MSYS2.
> You can download my last work from https://sourceforge.net/projects/lexx83.u/files

I have downloaded the x86 build and the x64 build. I get errors when
decompressing. All the files are 0 KB.

One question, this build is compiled or not?
If it is not compiled, it will be too difficult for me to compile now:
I don't have the knowledge and the time ...

Thanks a lot.
Regards.

Re: MSYS - $USERNAME with accents problems

Alexpux
Try download again. I think you have corrupted download

2013/4/25 Алексей Павлов <[hidden email]>:
> Try download again. I think you have corrupted download

Hi, It was the old 7-zip version. The last one uncompress the files ok.

After testing BGINFO4X in MSYS2 what I can say is:

1- Accents, diacritics, ... are supported in USERNAME. The
/home/$USERNAME is created correctly.

2- echo "cäsà" > out.txt, generates an out.txt with a correct output ("cäsà").

3- Control-C is not trapped. The program exits immediately.

4- The bash builtin "pwd -W" doesn't work. "So the program stops here".

Tell me if you need more information of 3, 4.

Do you know when a MSYS 2 version will be ready? Is there any time frame?

Thanks a lot.

01.05.2013, в 1:07, BGINFO4X <[hidden email]> написал(а):

> 2013/4/25 Алексей Павлов <[hidden email]>:
>> Try download again. I think you have corrupted download
>
> Hi, It was the old 7-zip version. The last one uncompress the files ok.
>
> After testing BGINFO4X in MSYS2 what I can say is:
>
> 1- Accents, diacritics, ... are supported in USERNAME. The
> /home/$USERNAME is created correctly.
>
> 2- echo "cäsà" > out.txt, generates an out.txt with a correct output ("cäsà").

Good.

> 3- Control-C is not trapped. The program exits immediately.
>
> 4- The bash builtin "pwd -W" doesn't work. "So the program stops here".

I don't work on it yet.

> Tell me if you need more information of 3, 4.
>
> Do you know when a MSYS 2 version will be ready? Is there any time frame?

I work on MSYS2 on my free time and I don't know when I finish it. Also I upload my new archives with MSYS2. I think it contain full list of software that I want see in MSYS2. I add p7zip (only 32-bit yet), git, subversion, mercurial, openssh. Also I want to have ruby, but can't build it yet.

Regards,
Alexey.

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 12:38 AM, Alexpux wrote:

> I work on MSYS2 on my free time and I don't know when I finish it. Also I upload my new archives with MSYS2. I think it contain full list of software that I want see in MSYS2. I add p7zip (only 32-bit yet), git, subversion, mercurial, openssh. Also I want to have ruby, but can't build it yet.

I would like to see you start packaging in MinGW style packages with
lzma compression.  We should discuss on mingw-devel how we want to
handle the 32bit vs 64bit packaging names.  See the recent discussion
between Keith and myself discussing the WSL 4.0 release candidate for
ideas on packaging alpha and release candidate packages.

Re: MSYS - $USERNAME with accents problems

Renato Silva

2013/4/20 Renato Silva <[hidden email]>
Will MSYS2 address this bug? http://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/bugs/1676.

This testcase doesn't work on MSYS2

​Hmm, are we talking about the same MSYS2? At that time I didn't know MSYS2​ ​so​ I thought it was version 2 from MinGW.org. Indeed, MSYS2 doesn't have such bug at all, awesome.