MSYS 1.0.11 Release Candidate 1

12

MSYS 1.0.11 Release Candidate 1

Cesar Strauss
I just uploaded a release candidate of MSYS 1.0.11. If all goes well,
the official release will be in, say, two weeks.

The download location is:
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=24963&release_id=46827

The release notes are found in:
https://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=46827&group_id=2435

Some highlights:
- Newer versions of most tools;
- /bin is no longer reserved for MSYS programs;
- Sensible key-bindings for command-line editing.
- Improved compatibility for running on 64-bit systems and on Vista;
- Rxvt is replaced by the Windows Console as the default terminal;
- The mount table in /etc/fstab can be manipulated by the mount/umount commands;
- The GNU Make tool now accepts both case-sensitive and case-insensitive rules.

Regards,
Cesar

2) Thread hijacking

Re: MSYS 1.0.11 Release Candidate 1

Qu0ll
> Some highlights:
> - Newer versions of most tools;
> - /bin is no longer reserved for MSYS programs;
> - Sensible key-bindings for command-line editing.
> - Improved compatibility for running on 64-bit systems and on Vista;
> - Rxvt is replaced by the Windows Console as the default terminal;

[JCT] I haven't used MSYS for very long but I have found that the command
line interface window (= the default terminal?) seems to lack some very
basic functionality like copy and paste, context menus, persistent window
settings and proper scrolling.  Are these issues resolved in this new
release?  Or perhaps is there a way to configure this terminal in the
current release so that it remembers its dimensions etc. and/or has the
features I mentioned?

Thanks,

John

2) Thread hijacking

Re: MSYS 1.0.11 Release Candidate 1

Peter-16-3

thanks for the new release,
I just downloaded the software and tried in windows XP 64 SP2.

bash still crashes if running ls.exe inside.

C:\msys\1.0\bin>bash
bash-3.1$ ls
C:\msys\1.0\bin\bash.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x4D0000 - 0x
6D0000, Win32 error 0
      0 [main] bash 1692 sync_with_child: child 1104(0x304) died before initiali
zation with status code 0x1
     95 [main] bash 1692 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp
bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
bash-3.1$

is there a way to get around this problem?
thanks

Peter

John C. Turnbull wrote:

>> Some highlights:
>> - Newer versions of most tools;
>> - /bin is no longer reserved for MSYS programs;
>> - Sensible key-bindings for command-line editing.
>> - Improved compatibility for running on 64-bit systems and on Vista;
>> - Rxvt is replaced by the Windows Console as the default terminal;
>
> [JCT] I haven't used MSYS for very long but I have found that the command
> line interface window (= the default terminal?) seems to lack some very
> basic functionality like copy and paste, context menus, persistent window
> settings and proper scrolling.  Are these issues resolved in this new
> release?  Or perhaps is there a way to configure this terminal in the
> current release so that it remembers its dimensions etc. and/or has the
> features I mentioned?

You have the choice of using the Windows Console as the terminal
(default) or Rxvt (alternate shortcut in the start menu).

1) Copy & Paste
Windows Console: There is an "Edit" menu found in the system menu
(left-click on the icon at the top-left corner).
Rxvt: Select the text to copy, press the middle-button to paste.

2) Context-menus
Sorry, there is none that I am aware of.

3) Persistent settings
Windows Console: See the "properties" menu in the system menu.
Rxvt: You should be able to use a .Xdefaults file in your home dir. See
the documentation at http://www.rxvt.org/manual.html

4) Proper scrolling
Could you elaborate on that?

Peter wrote:

> thanks for the new release,
> I just downloaded the software and tried in windows XP 64 SP2.
>
> bash still crashes if running ls.exe inside.
>
> C:\msys\1.0\bin>bash
> bash-3.1$ ls
> C:\msys\1.0\bin\bash.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x4D0000 - 0x
> 6D0000, Win32 error 0
>       0 [main] bash 1692 sync_with_child: child 1104(0x304) died before initiali
> zation with status code 0x1
>      95 [main] bash 1692 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp
> bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
> bash-3.1$
>
> is there a way to get around this problem?

1) There is some applications known to create problems with MSYS and
Cygwin. Could you check if you have any of them? See:

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda

2) If you have Cygwin installed, does it have the same problem?

3) Please paste the output of runnning "msysinfo all".

Regards,
Cesar

2) Thread hijacking

Re: MSYS 1.0.11 Release Candidate 1

Qu0ll
Hi Cesar,

> You have the choice of using the Windows Console as the terminal
> (default) or Rxvt (alternate shortcut in the start menu).

[JCT] I don't seem to have this choice.  I have one MSYS shortcut in the
Start Menu and running it opens up a window with green prompt and a yellow
background.  I am assuming this is Rxvt?

> 1) Copy & Paste
> Windows Console: There is an "Edit" menu found in the system menu
> (left-click on the icon at the top-left corner).
> Rxvt: Select the text to copy, press the middle-button to paste.

[JCT] The middle button?  My mouse has only a left button and a right button
however I have discovered that if I hold down Shift and click the left
button I can get paste to work.

> 2) Context-menus
> Sorry, there is none that I am aware of.

[JCT] OK.

> 3) Persistent settings
> Windows Console: See the "properties" menu in the system menu.
> Rxvt: You should be able to use a .Xdefaults file in your home dir. See
> the documentation at http://www.rxvt.org/manual.html

[JCT] Thanks, I'll check that out.

> 4) Proper scrolling
> Could you elaborate on that?

[JCT] Just minor issues like if you hold down the mouse button while
clicking on the up arrow or down arrow of the scroll bar it doesn't scroll.
You need to keep clicking it to get it to scroll.

John C. Turnbull wrote:
> Hi Cesar,
>
>> You have the choice of using the Windows Console as the terminal
>> (default) or Rxvt (alternate shortcut in the start menu).
>
> [JCT] I don't seem to have this choice.  I have one MSYS shortcut in the
> Start Menu and running it opens up a window with green prompt and a yellow
> background.  I am assuming this is Rxvt?

It is a very new feature. Please check out the new installer at:

MSYS Base System - Release Candidate: MSYS-1.0.11

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=24963&release_id=46827

file: MSYS-1.0.11-rc-1.exe

Regards,
Cesar

2) Thread hijacking

Re: MSYS 1.0.11 Release Candidate 1

Peter-16-3

> > I just downloaded the software and tried in windows XP
> 64 SP2.
> >
> > bash still crashes if running ls.exe inside.
> >
> > C:\msys\1.0\bin>bash
> > bash-3.1$ ls
> > C:\msys\1.0\bin\bash.exe: *** fork: can't reserve
> memory for stack 0x4D0000 - 0x
> > 6D0000, Win32 error 0
> >       0 [main] bash 1692
> sync_with_child: child 1104(0x304) died before initiali
> > zation with status code 0x1
> >      95 [main] bash 1692
> sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp
> > bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
> > bash-3.1$
> >
> > is there a way to get around this problem?
>
> 1) There is some applications known to create problems with
> MSYS and
> Cygwin. Could you check if you have any of them? See:
>
> http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda

I don't have any windows antivirus software installed. The OS is
a fresh installation from Windows XP 64 sp2 CD. Even if I disabled
the microsoft firewall, it has the same problem.

However, I noticed an interesting thing.
If I run C/C++ interpreter Ch (from softintegration) first,
there is no problem to run ls.exe under bash.exe.

C:\>c:\ch\bin\ch
                                   Ch
                Professional edition, version 6.3.0.13761
              (C) Copyright 2001-2009 SoftIntegration, Inc.
                     http://www.softintegration.com
C:/# cd msys
C:/msys# cd 1.0
C:/msys/1.0# cd bin
C:/msys/1.0/bin# ./bash.exe
bash-3.1$ ./ls.exe
awk           false.exe                  ls.exe              sed.exe
<snip>

> 2) If you have Cygwin installed, does it have the same
> problem?

Just installed Cygwin. looks no problem.

C:\cygwin\bin>.\bash.exe
bash-3.2$ ./ls.exe
[.exe                dir.exe                    lpr.exe           sha384sum.exe
<snip>

 the bash version from cygwin is 3.2, not 3.1.
could it be the reason?

> 3) Please paste the output of runnning "msysinfo all".

C:\msys\1.0\bin>bash
bash-3.1$ msysinfo all
C:\msys\1.0\bin\bash.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x4D0000 - 0x
6D0000, Win32 error 0
      0 [main] bash 520 sync_with_child: child 1564(0x2F8) died before initializ
ation with status code 0x1
    920 [main] bash 520 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp

Peter wrote:

>> 3) Please paste the output of runnning "msysinfo all".
>

> C:\msys\1.0\bin>bash
> bash-3.1$ msysinfo all
> C:\msys\1.0\bin\bash.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x4D0000 - 0x
> 6D0000, Win32 error 0
>       0 [main] bash 520 sync_with_child: child 1564(0x2F8) died before initializ
> ation with status code 0x1
>     920 [main] bash 520 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp
> bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

Please try downloading rebase.exe from

   http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/rebase/

Then close all MSYS programs and run from the Command Prompt:

   rebase -b 0x30000000 msys-1.0.dll

Regards,
Cesar

2) Thread hijacking

Re: MSYS 1.0.11 Release Candidate 1

Peter-16-3

> 4) Proper scrolling

I think you can adjust Screen buffer size and windows size from the MSDOS console layout to get the proper scrolling.

You can do it by click "Properties" from the top left msdos console
to get there.

Peter

> Could you elaborate on that?
>
> Regards,
> Cesar

> Register Now for Creativity and Technology (CaT), June 3rd,
> NYC. CaT
> is a gathering of tech-side developers & brand
> creativity professionals. Meet
> the minds behind Google Creative Lab, Visual Complexity,
> Processing, &
> iPhoneDevCamp asthey present alongside digital heavyweights
> like Barbarian
> Group, R/GA, & Big Spaceship. http://www.creativitycat.com

> We ask that you be polite and do the same.
>
> Most annoying abuses are:
> 1) Top posting
> 2) Thread hijacking
> 3) HTML/MIME encoded mail
> 4) Improper quoting
> 5) Improper trimming

2) Thread hijacking

Re: MSYS 1.0.11 Release Candidate 1

Qu0ll
> > 4) Proper scrolling
>
> I think you can adjust Screen buffer size and windows size from the
> MSDOS console layout to get the proper scrolling.
>
> You can do it by click "Properties" from the top left msdos console
> to get there.

[JCT] I was referring to the Rxvt console though.

Cheers,

John

2) Thread hijacking

Re: MSYS 1.0.11 Release Candidate 1

Qu0ll
> 3) Persistent settings
> Windows Console: See the "properties" menu in the system menu.
> Rxvt: You should be able to use a .Xdefaults file in your home dir. See
> the documentation at http://www.rxvt.org/manual.html

[JCT] I cannot get this to work.  I am not familiar with setting X resources
but this is what I have tried:

Rxvt.geometry:200x60

In a .Xdefaults file located in my Windows home directory and in my MSYS
home directory.

Is this the correct thing to do?  Where should the .Xdefaults file go
exactly?

John C. Turnbull wrote:

>> 3) Persistent settings
>> Windows Console: See the "properties" menu in the system menu.
>> Rxvt: You should be able to use a .Xdefaults file in your home dir. See
>> the documentation at http://www.rxvt.org/manual.html
>
> [JCT] I cannot get this to work.  I am not familiar with setting X resources
> but this is what I have tried:
>
> Rxvt.geometry:200x60
>
> In a .Xdefaults file located in my Windows home directory and in my MSYS
> home directory.
>
> Is this the correct thing to do?  Where should the .Xdefaults file go
> exactly?

I believe the .Xdefaults file is being overridden by the command-line.
See the msys.bat file, line 92.

Also, by the time Rxvt is called, the HOME variable is not set yet, so
it can't possibly find the .Xdefaults file anyway.

So, I guess you have two options:
1) Forget .Xdefaults, and directly edit the command-line options in
msys.bat, line 98.
2) Use .Xdefaults, by adding "set HOME=<homedir>" in line 91 and
removing the command-line options from line 92.

In any case, it is best to modify a copy of msys.bat, updating the
shortcuts, to avoid losing your changes in an upgrade.

Regards,
Cesar

2) Thread hijacking

Re: MSYS 1.0.11 Release Candidate 1

Qu0ll
> I believe the .Xdefaults file is being overridden by the command-line.
> See the msys.bat file, line 92.
>
> Also, by the time Rxvt is called, the HOME variable is not set yet, so
> it can't possibly find the .Xdefaults file anyway.
>
> So, I guess you have two options:
> 1) Forget .Xdefaults, and directly edit the command-line options in
> msys.bat, line 98.
> 2) Use .Xdefaults, by adding "set HOME=<homedir>" in line 91 and
> removing the command-line options from line 92.
>
> In any case, it is best to modify a copy of msys.bat, updating the
> shortcuts, to avoid losing your changes in an upgrade.

[JCT] Thanks Cesar - modifying the BAT file has solved the problem.

Quoting Cesar Strauss <[hidden email]>:

> I just uploaded a release candidate of MSYS 1.0.11. If all goes well,
> the official release will be in, say, two weeks.
>
> The download location is:
> https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=24963&release_id=46827
>
> The release notes are found in:
> https://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=46827&group_id=2435
>
> Some highlights:
> - Newer versions of most tools;
> - /bin is no longer reserved for MSYS programs;
> - Sensible key-bindings for command-line editing.
> - Improved compatibility for running on 64-bit systems and on Vista;
> - Rxvt is replaced by the Windows Console as the default terminal;
> - The mount table in /etc/fstab can be manipulated by the
> mount/umount commands;
> - The GNU Make tool now accepts both case-sensitive and
> case-insensitive rules.

W00t!  Thanks Cesar, it has been a long time in development.

--- On Sat, 5/23/09, Cesar Strauss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From: Cesar Strauss <[hidden email]>

> I just uploaded a release candidate
> of MSYS 1.0.11. If all goes well,
> the official release will be in, say, two weeks.
>
> The download location is:
> https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=24963&release_id=46827

Just tried info.exe, seems not working.

C:\msys\1.0\bin>info
info: dir: No such file or directory

also, there is no man.exe, not sure where to download?

Thanks.

Peter

2) Thread hijacking

Re: MSYS 1.0.11 Release Candidate 1

Peter-16-3

> --- On Sat, 5/23/09, Cesar Strauss <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > From: Cesar Strauss <[hidden email]>
>
> > I just uploaded a release candidate
> > of MSYS 1.0.11. If all goes well,
> > the official release will be in, say, two weeks.
> >
> > The download location is:
> > https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=24963&release_id=46827
> >

> Just tried info.exe, seems not working.
>
> C:\msys\1.0\bin>info
> info: dir: No such file or directory

Tried to set INFOPATH, it doesn't work.
Also, used the option
info --directory  c:\junk\info\ sed
failed with the same error:
  info: dir: No such file or directory

C:\junk\info>dir sed*
 Volume in drive C has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is 34E4-DDED

 Directory of C:\junk\info

01/09/2007  11:50 AM            15,903 sed.info-1.gz
01/09/2007  11:50 AM            11,592 sed.info-2.gz
01/09/2007  11:50 AM             1,125 sed.info.gz
               3 File(s)         28,620 bytes

Peter

> also, there is no man.exe, not sure where to download?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Peter

> Register Now for Creativity and Technology (CaT), June 3rd,
> NYC. CaT
> is a gathering of tech-side developers & brand
> creativity professionals. Meet
> the minds behind Google Creative Lab, Visual Complexity,
> Processing, &
> iPhoneDevCamp as they present alongside digital
> heavyweights like Barbarian
> Group, R/GA, & Big Spaceship. http://p.sf.net/sfu/creativitycat-com

> We ask that you be polite and do the same.
>
> Most annoying abuses are:
> 1) Top posting
> 2) Thread hijacking
> 3) HTML/MIME encoded mail
> 4) Improper quoting
> 5) Improper trimming

2) Thread hijacking

Re: MSYS 1.0.11 Release Candidate 1

Keith Marshall
On Sunday 31 May 2009 19:38:58 Peter wrote:

> > Just tried info.exe, seems not working.
> >
> > C:\msys\1.0\bin>info
> > info: dir: No such file or directory
>
> Tried to set INFOPATH, it doesn't work.
> Also, used the option
> info --directory  c:\junk\info\ sed
> failed with the same error:
>   info: dir: No such file or directory
>
> C:\junk\info>dir sed*

So, you are using cmd.exe, not MSYS?  The MSYS info has a slim
chance of working, other than when invoked from an MSYS shell.
That aside...

>  Volume in drive C has no label.
>  Volume Serial Number is 34E4-DDED
>
>  Directory of C:\junk\info
>
> 01/09/2007  11:50 AM            15,903 sed.info-1.gz
> 01/09/2007  11:50 AM            11,592 sed.info-2.gz
> 01/09/2007  11:50 AM             1,125 sed.info.gz
>                3 File(s)         28,620 bytes

This indicates that, while you have the info files for sed, they
have not been registered with info, (at least, not for use from
this directory), for there is no `dir` file here.  You need to run
install-info, to either create the `dir' file in this directory, or
move/copy these info files to an existing info directory, and again
run install-info to *add* a registration to an existing `dir' file.

$INFOPATH tells info where to look for `dir' files; it is what is
registered within those `dir' files, which tell info what content
is available to be displayed.

On Sunday 31 May 2009 17:08:39 Peter wrote:

> > I just uploaded a release candidate
> > of MSYS 1.0.11. If all goes well,
> > the official release will be in, say, two weeks.
> >
> > The download location is:
> > https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&pac
> >kage_id=24963&release_id=46827
>
> Just tried info.exe, seems not working.
>
> C:\msys\1.0\bin>info
> info: dir: No such file or directory

There seems little point in claiming "not working", when you clearly
aren't running the advertised product.  This is a new release of
MSYS, but you aren't running that, you are running cmd.exe.  MSYS
provides its own shell, which you use *instead* of cmd.exe.

> also, there is no man.exe,

Nope.  Neither should there be; it simply isn't, (and never will
be), a fundamental component of MSYS.

> not sure where to download?

You don't.  If you want `man', you have to build it yourself, (after
you've first provided all its prerequisites, (notably groff), which
again are never going to be fundamental components of MSYS.

There is a beta release of *source* for `man', adapted for use with
MSYS/MinGW, available from MinGW's download page on SourceForge;
please read the accompanying (online) release notes, for building
instructions.

On Sunday 24 May 2009 15:59:12 Cesar Strauss wrote:

> > C:\msys\1.0\bin>bash
> > bash-3.1$ msysinfo all
> > C:\msys\1.0\bin\bash.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for
> > stack 0x4D0000 - 0x 6D0000, Win32 error 0
> >       0 [main] bash 520 sync_with_child: child 1564(0x2F8) died
> > before initializ ation with status code 0x1
> >     920 [main] bash 520 sync_with_child: *** child state
> > waiting for longjmp bash: fork: Resource temporarily
> > unavailable
>
> Please try downloading rebase.exe from
>
>    http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/rebase/
>
> Then close all MSYS programs and run from the Command Prompt:
>
>    rebase -b 0x30000000 msys-1.0.dll

I don't know what effect `rebase' might have here, but I wouldn't
hold any great hope of success.  The OP said he is running on w64,
started MSYS thus...

> C:\>c:\ch\bin\ch
> [...]
> C:/# cd msys
> C:/msys# cd 1.0
> C:/msys/1.0# cd bin
> C:/msys/1.0/bin# ./bash.exe

...and found that it works.  However, he doesn't say how he started
it for the case which doesn't work; if he tried a similar sequence
of commands, from a cmd.exe prompt, then that might explain the
problem; however, if he did it properly, by running msys.bat, then
we have an issue we need to resolve.

Anyone with 64-bit hardware out there, who can reproduce Peter's
problem, and who can help diagnose this?

2) Thread hijacking
12