calliopejoe
Hi,

I'm installing MinGW and MSYS for the first time. I have run the MinGW Installation Manager and selected the g++ package for installation.

When I attempt to build a Makefile using ./configure, I get an error message that no compiler was found:

.
.
.
checking for gcc... no

checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: in `/c/wxWidgets-3.0.2-Turbo/build/msw':
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details

Moreover, running which shows that the package is either missing or unreachable

Developer1@Developer1-PC /c/wxWidgets-3.0.2-Turbo
$ which gcc
which: gcc: unknown command

What have I left out? I thought that the MinGW Installation Manager should have installed this when I selected the package. Is g++ really missing or am I missing some path information somewhere?

Joe

Re: Loading gcc with the MinGW Installation Manager

Eli Zaretskii
> Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 09:01:14 -0600
> From: <[hidden email]>
>
> I'm installing MinGW and MSYS for the first time. I have run the MinGW
> Installation Manager and selected the g++ package for installation.
>
> *
> ​
> When I attempt to build a Makefile using ./configure, I get an error message
> that no compiler was found:
>
> .
> .
> .
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cl.exe... no
> configure: error: in `/c/wxWidgets-3.0.2-Turbo/build/msw':
> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
> See `config.log' for more details
>
> Moreover, running which shows that the package is either missing or unreachable
>
> Developer1@Developer1-PC /c/wxWidgets-3.0.2-Turbo
> $ which gcc
> which: gcc: unknown command
>
> What have I left out?

Adding the bin/ directory where you have gcc.exe to PATH?

Re: Loading gcc with the MinGW Installation Manager

From: [hidden email]

> checking for gcc... no

> Developer1@Developer1-PC /c/wxWidgets-3.0.2-Turbo
> $ which gcc
> which: gcc: unknown command
> What have I left out? I thought that the MinGW Installation Manager should have installed
> this when I selected the package. Is g++ really missing or am I missing some path information
> somewhere?

I'm going to guess that your installation did not successfully download the packages from the mirror leaving you with a mess.  Try installing gcc again.

P.S.: Please use plain text email format.

Re: Loading gcc with the MinGW Installation Manager

MokoTheMoko
This post was updated on .
I suppose that the answer to your problem can be found here:

http://www.mingw.org/wiki/getting_started

at the chapter "Using the Command Line Interface Installer". It says:

The first time you start the [msys] shell, you may also wish to run the command:

/postinstall/pi.sh

This solved for me the same issue that you have.