Latest version of mingw doesn't install correctly.

Latest version of mingw doesn't install correctly.

Charles Smith
The initial install of mingw didn't work for me. There was no gcc installed. I tried manually installing it, but I get an error about libgmp-10.dll not being installed. That dll doesn't exist anywhere in the mingw directory structure. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Charles E. Smith
Software Developer
N2 Net Security, Inc.
919-423-0834

Re: Latest version of mingw doesn't install correctly.

Keith Marshall
On 25/04/2012, Charles Smith wrote:
> The initial install of mingw didn't work for me. There was no gcc
> installed. I tried manually installing it, but I get an error about
> libgmp-10.dll not being installed. That dll doesn't exist anywhere in the
> mingw directory structure. What am I doing wrong?

Nothing, (except, perhaps, neglecting to check the list archives for
the past day or two).

There is a regression in the latest mingw-get.exe; I'll post a fix as
quickly as I can.  In the meantime:

  mingw-get update
  mingw-get install --reinstall --recursive gcc

maybe followed by:

  mingw-get install --reinstall --recursive libgmp-dll

should get you up and running.

Re: Latest version of mingw doesn't install correctly.

Charles Smith
Thanks, that worked great. Now, is there a special way to install pcre and curl (with ssl support)  into this? Or can I just copy those files from my cygwin directory?

Charles E. Smith
Software Developer
N2 Net Security, Inc.
919-423-0834

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Keith Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 25/04/2012, Charles Smith wrote:
> The initial install of mingw didn't work for me. There was no gcc
> installed. I tried manually installing it, but I get an error about
> libgmp-10.dll not being installed. That dll doesn't exist anywhere in the
> mingw directory structure. What am I doing wrong?

Nothing, (except, perhaps, neglecting to check the list archives for
the past day or two).

There is a regression in the latest mingw-get.exe; I'll post a fix as
quickly as I can.  In the meantime:

 mingw-get update
 mingw-get install --reinstall --recursive gcc

maybe followed by:

 mingw-get install --reinstall --recursive libgmp-dll

should get you up and running.

Re: Latest version of mingw doesn't install correctly.

Greg Chicares
On 2012-04-25 16:07Z, Charles Smith wrote:
> Thanks, that worked great. Now, is there a special way to install pcre and
> curl (with ssl support)  into this? Or can I just copy those files from my
> cygwin directory?

Cygwin libraries depend on the Cygwin dll--so they don't interoperate
with MinGW-built code, which uses a different C runtime library. But
if you search this mailing list's archives for pcre and libcurl,
you'll find discussions that look promising.

Re: Latest version of mingw doesn't install correctly.

Charles Smith
Yeah, I'm not going to go through list archives to figure out how to do what should be basic installation instructions and located in a FAQ or readme.txt file. It took me two days to figure out how to get the thing installed correctly, and I had to join a listserv to get that far. I've searched and found several threads of people talking about installing curl, but have not found any step-by-step instructions that have gotten me to the point where it's there, installed, and working. I ask this listserv for help (which I shouldn't have had to do in the first place), and the response is to go back and search some more?

Charles

On 2012-04-25 16:07Z, Charles Smith wrote:
> Thanks, that worked great. Now, is there a special way to install pcre and
> curl (with ssl support)  into this? Or can I just copy those files from my
> cygwin directory?

Cygwin libraries depend on the Cygwin dll--so they don't interoperate
with MinGW-built code, which uses a different C runtime library. But
if you search this mailing list's archives for pcre and libcurl,
you'll find discussions that look promising.

Re: Latest version of mingw doesn't install correctly.

Ross Ridge
Charles Smith writes:
>Yeah, I'm not going to go through list archives to figure out how to do
>what should be basic installation instructions and located in a FAQ or
>readme.txt file. It took me two days to figure out how to get the thing
>installed correctly, and I had to join a listserv to get that far. I've
>searched and found several threads of people talking about installing
>curl, but have not found any step-by-step instructions that have gotten
>me to the point where it's there, installed, and working. I ask this
>listserv for help (which I shouldn't have had to do in the first place),
>and the response is to go back and search some more?

The libcurl library isn't part of the MinGW project, so this mailing
list isn't necessarily the best place to ask questions about it.
You could try asking on a libcurl specific mailing list.  When doing
so you should consider that anyone who takes the time to respond to you
on a such a forum is very likely to be doing so completely voluntarily,
without compensation.  Taking the attiude that you're owed a particular
sort of response isn't likely to be helpful.

                                        Ross Ridge

Re: Latest version of mingw doesn't install correctly.

Earnie Boyd
On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 3:51 AM, Ross Ridge wrote:
> Charles Smith writes:
>> I ask this
>>listserv for help (which I shouldn't have had to do in the first place),
>>and the response is to go back and search some more?

And the question you asked was a bit filled with ignorance as well.
The question had one answer and that being "No."  The responders could
have simple kept it short and sweet but offered you a ray of hope.
You on the other hand expected someone to come to you and hold your
hand to just get it to work.  That isn't going to happen.  If you are
unwilling to show that you've taken the time to do your research then
the answer is always JFGI.

> The libcurl library isn't part of the MinGW project, so this mailing
> list isn't necessarily the best place to ask questions about it.

Asking here isn't an issue.  Crying or moaning about the answers is.

> You could try asking on a libcurl specific mailing list.  When doing
> so you should consider that anyone who takes the time to respond to you
> on a such a forum is very likely to be doing so completely voluntarily,
> without compensation.  Taking the attiude that you're owed a particular
> sort of response isn't likely to be helpful.

Ack.

I'll suggest reading http://mingw.org/Software_Package_Contribution as well.

Re: Latest version of mingw doesn't install correctly.

Charles Smith
You know what, I shouldn't HAVE to be hand-held. I should be able to download and install your tool and not have to spend four to six hours searching google trying to figure out how to make it work. I shouldn't HAVE to join a listserv and ask questions, and get snarky unhelpful responses for my trouble.

Installing a library in cygwin is documented. It's easy. It works. There's not even a simple FAQ on how to install a library in mingw.

Charles

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 7:47 AM, Earnie Boyd <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 3:51 AM, Ross Ridge wrote:
> Charles Smith writes:
>> I ask this
>>listserv for help (which I shouldn't have had to do in the first place),
>>and the response is to go back and search some more?

And the question you asked was a bit filled with ignorance as well.
The question had one answer and that being "No."  The responders could
have simple kept it short and sweet but offered you a ray of hope.
You on the other hand expected someone to come to you and hold your
hand to just get it to work.  That isn't going to happen.  If you are
unwilling to show that you've taken the time to do your research then
the answer is always JFGI.

> The libcurl library isn't part of the MinGW project, so this mailing
> list isn't necessarily the best place to ask questions about it.

Asking here isn't an issue.  Crying or moaning about the answers is.

> You could try asking on a libcurl specific mailing list.  When doing
> so you should consider that anyone who takes the time to respond to you
> on a such a forum is very likely to be doing so completely voluntarily,
> without compensation.  Taking the attiude that you're owed a particular
> sort of response isn't likely to be helpful.

Ack.

I'll suggest reading http://mingw.org/Software_Package_Contribution as well.

Re: Latest version of mingw doesn't install correctly.

Daniel Berjón Díez
On 26 April 2012 17:14, Charles Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You know what, I shouldn't HAVE to be hand-held. I should be able to
> download and install your tool and not have to spend four to six hours
> searching google trying to figure out how to make it work. I shouldn't HAVE
> to join a listserv and ask questions, and get snarky unhelpful responses for
> my trouble.
>
> Installing a library in cygwin is documented. It's easy. It works. There's
> not even a simple FAQ on how to install a library in mingw.

Cygwin is a commercial effort by RedHat. This is, as far as I know, a
community effort made by people that may or may not have better things
to do. I agree it would be nice to have better documentation and all,
but if it is not the case, you have to live with it. Given that you
have had to go to the listserv page to subscribe to the list, I agree
with Keith that searching the archives, that are already there, is
both faster (you are not the first one to report this error) and more
polite than asking the very people that could be writing better
documentation to devote their [limited] resources to answer the same
question over and over again.

Daniel

Charles Smith writes:
>You know what, I shouldn't HAVE to be hand-held. I should be able to
>download and install your tool and not have to spend four to six hours
>searching google trying to figure out how to make it work. I shouldn't
>HAVE to join a listserv and ask questions, and get snarky unhelpful

What trouble?  You've done nothing, you expect someone else to do all
the work for you instead.  You couldn't even take the time to read the
mailing list first to see that your original question had already been
answered in the previous thread.  Why do you think you deserve anything
other than the response you've gotten?

>Installing a library in cygwin is documented. It's easy. It
>works. There's not even a simple FAQ on how to install a library in mingw.

Cygwin is a very different project from MinGW, it purposes and goals are
not the same.  The purpose of of MinGW to create a *minimal* environment
with which to use GCC on Windows.  There's no documentation on how to
install libcurl because libcurl has nothing to do MinGW.  If you want
to use some random library on the Internet with MinGW then it's your
responsibilty to figure out how.  Unlike with Cygwin, it's not a goal
of the MinGW project to provide a pre-built Windows version of every
library commonly used on Linux.  You can ask for a help on how to
obtain or build the libraries you need, but you're not owed an answer,
let alone a simple and easy solution.

If Cygwin does what you want, if it gives you the support and hand-holding
you need, then by all means use it.  *Please* use it instead of MinGW.
The projects aren't in competition with each other.  MinGW isn't a
business, no one gets paid any differently whether you end up using it
or not.

                                        Ross Ridge

Re: Latest version of mingw doesn't install correctly.

Jared Maddox
> Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 11:14:42 -0400
> From: Charles Smith <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Mingw-users] Latest version of mingw doesn't install
> correctly.
> To: MinGW Users List <[hidden email]>
>
> You know what, I shouldn't HAVE to be hand-held. I should be able to
> download and install your tool and not have to spend four to six hours
> searching google trying to figure out how to make it work. I shouldn't HAVE
> to join a listserv and ask questions, and get snarky unhelpful responses
> for my trouble.
>
> Installing a library in cygwin is documented. It's easy. It works. There's
> not even a simple FAQ on how to install a library in mingw.
>
> Charles

The correct way to install a library or application on MSys depends on
that library or application, but try this first:
  ./configure
  make
  make install
That's the simple & easy way to install just about anything that
natively supports MinGW. I don't use Cygwin, so THAT might have all
sort of hand-holding guis, but MinGW & MSys are MINIMALIST. Everything
is designed to work from the command line. Why, MinGW isn't even an
environment in the first place, it's only a set of compile tools. An
'easy & working' installer program (mingw-get) is in the works (I
think focused on MinGW 2/MSys 2?), but it isn't finalized, so
expecting documentation is unreasonable. If you want it, then write
it.

Additionally, when it is officially complete, it won't automatically
support unofficial repositories BECAUSE THEY ARE UNOFFICIAL. RedHat
doesn't support things that it doesn't distribute, so why do you
expect the MinGW community to? Quite frankly, you don't deserve that
unless you actually PAY someone for it, and then you only deserve it
from the person you pay.

Finally, there's the question of whether something natively supports
MinGW/MSys in the first place. If it does then you're set, but
otherwise someone will usually have to port it (as I myself have done
in order to compile a *nix/VC++ program to compile on MSys). MSys (and
MinGW even more so) is NOT a full Posix or other *nix emulation.
Cygwin has a special library to emulate a full Posix environment, but
MSys intentionally avoids that. Many things SIMPLY DO NOT WORK ON
MSYS. If you want them, then YOU have to port them.