Installing Mingw, mysys

shiva m
Hi,

I am unable to install mingw, mysys.  I followed the tutorial i am
struck in the middle.  The steps i followed.

1.  made a folder dev in c:\
     c:\dev
     made another 2 folders inside dev - mingw, mysys

2.  downloaded MinGW-5.1.4 in mingw folder

3.  downloaded MSYS-1.0.11-2004.04.30-1 in mysys folder

4.  on installing mingw, selected download only, candidate, g++
     files downloaded,

     binutils-2.18.50-20080109-2.tar
     gcc-core-3.4.5-20060117-3.tar
     gcc-g++-3.4.5-20060117-3.tar
     mingwrt-3.15.1-mingw32.tar
     w32api-3.12-mingw32-dev.tar

using winzip i unzipped in mingw folder

5.  on installing mysys, it is asking to select the components in the
drop down it shows, installation for i386 based CPUs (Works for all
x86 based CPUs >=i386)

    after i click next and next,

    i get a screen,

C:\dev\mysys\postinstall>PATH ..\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\S
ystem32\Wbem

C:\dev\mysys\postinstall>..\bin\sh.exe pi.sh

This is a post install process that will try to normalize between
your MinGW install if any as well as your previous MSYS installs
if any.  I don't have any traps as aborts will not hurt anything.
Do you wish to continue with the post install? [yn ] y

Do you have MinGW installed? [yn ] y

Please answer the following in the form of c:/foo/bar.
Where is your MinGW installation? c:/dev/mingw/gcc-core-3.4.5-20060117-3

Creating /etc/fstab with mingw mount bindings.
        Normalizing your MSYS environment.

You have script /bin/awk
You have script /bin/cmd
You have script /bin/echo
You have script /bin/egrep
You have script /bin/ex
You have script /bin/fgrep
You have script /bin/printf
You have script /bin/pwd
You have script /bin/rvi
You have script /bin/rview
You have script /bin/rvim
You have script /bin/vi
You have script /bin/view

Oh joy, you do not have c:/dev/mingw/gcc-core-3.4.5-20060117-3/bin/make.exe. Kee
p it that way.

C:\dev\mysys\postinstall>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

clicked on finish button,  but when i checked,

Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

C:\>md docs
A subdirectory or file docs already exists.

C:\>cd docs

C:\DOCS>g++ --version
'G++' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\DOCS>

I would like to know where i went wrong.

Thanks
shivam

Re: Installing Mingw, mysys

JonY-2
On 1/25/2009 13:08, shiva m wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am unable to install mingw, mysys.  I followed the tutorial i am
> struck in the middle.  The steps i followed.
>
> 1.  made a folder dev in c:\
>       c:\dev
>       made another 2 folders inside dev - mingw, mysys
>
> 2.  downloaded MinGW-5.1.4 in mingw folder
>
> 3.  downloaded MSYS-1.0.11-2004.04.30-1 in mysys folder
>
> 4.  on installing mingw, selected download only, candidate, g++
>       files downloaded,
>
>       binutils-2.18.50-20080109-2.tar
>       gcc-core-3.4.5-20060117-3.tar
>       gcc-g++-3.4.5-20060117-3.tar
>       mingwrt-3.15.1-mingw32.tar
>       w32api-3.12-mingw32-dev.tar
>
> using winzip i unzipped in mingw folder

YMMV with winzip, I suppose it should work.

> 5.  on installing mysys, it is asking to select the components in the
> drop down it shows, installation for i386 based CPUs (Works for all
> x86 based CPUs>=i386)
>
>      after i click next and next,
>
>      i get a screen,
>

> C:\dev\mysys\postinstall>PATH ..\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\S
> ystem32\Wbem
>
> C:\dev\mysys\postinstall>..\bin\sh.exe pi.sh
>
> This is a post install process that will try to normalize between
> your MinGW install if any as well as your previous MSYS installs
> if any.  I don't have any traps as aborts will not hurt anything.
> Do you wish to continue with the post install? [yn ] y
>
> Do you have MinGW installed? [yn ] y
>
> Please answer the following in the form of c:/foo/bar.
> Where is your MinGW installation? c:/dev/mingw/gcc-core-3.4.5-20060117-3

Are you sure you want it to be installed in "gcc-core-3.4.5-20060117-3"?

> Creating /etc/fstab with mingw mount bindings.
>          Normalizing your MSYS environment.
>
> You have script /bin/awk
> You have script /bin/cmd
> You have script /bin/echo
> You have script /bin/egrep
> You have script /bin/ex
> You have script /bin/fgrep
> You have script /bin/printf
> You have script /bin/pwd
> You have script /bin/rvi
> You have script /bin/rview
> You have script /bin/rvim
> You have script /bin/vi
> You have script /bin/view
>
> Oh joy, you do not have c:/dev/mingw/gcc-core-3.4.5-20060117-3/bin/make.exe. Kee
> p it that way.
>
> C:\dev\mysys\postinstall>pause
> Press any key to continue . . .
>
> clicked on finish button,  but when i checked,
>
> Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
> (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.
>
> C:\>md docs
> A subdirectory or file docs already exists.
>
> C:\>cd docs
>
> C:\DOCS>g++ --version
> 'G++' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> C:\DOCS>
>
> I would like to know where i went wrong.

What you did was setting up the MSYS environment. It will not affect
your win32 PATH variable.

Msys can be started via the msys.bat file. If MSYS was setup correctly,
you should be able to pick up the g++ executable automatically, in MSYS.

Re: Installing Mingw, mysys

Earnie Boyd

Quoting JonY <[hidden email]>:

>> using winzip i unzipped in mingw folder
>>

> YMMV with winzip, I suppose it should work.

We (those of us who distribute packaged) frown on WinZip because of its
stupid automated line ending translation.  If you set WinZip to convert
the line endings then you are likely to run into problems, especially
with MSYS but maybe with other things as well.