Quantcast

Install libxml2 on windows(MSYS)

Tal

Install libxml2 on windows(MSYS)

Tal
I want to install gstearemer on MSYS(Win x32), but it depend on libxml2 package.
I tried this guide: http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/wiki/BuildingGStreamerInMinGWMsys, but no matter what I do it fails.
So I thought for myself that I could ask you how to install libxml2 properly. The $path is set good, thats what I know that work well in MSYS :-)
This is the error I recrecived while using the guide above in the second step(the "make" command):

Creating library file: .libs/libxml2.dll.a
.libs/xmlIO.o: In function `xmlGzfileOpen_real':
c:/Downloads/libxml2-2.6.30/xmlIO.c:1132: undefined reference to `gzopen64'
.libs/xmlIO.o: In function `xmlGzfileOpenW':
c:/Downloads/libxml2-2.6.30/xmlIO.c:1200: undefined reference to `gzopen64'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [libxml2.la] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/c/Downloads/libxml2-2.6.30'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/Downloads/libxml2-2.6.30'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Can you please help me? Does someone know how to install it properly?

Re: Install libxml2 on windows(MSYS)

lrn-2
On 02.05.2011 20:47, tal - טל hadad - חדד wrote:

> I want to install gstearemer on MSYS(Win x32), but it depend on libxml2 package.
> I tried this guide: http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/wiki/BuildingGStreamerInMinGWMsys, but no matter what I do it fails.
> So I thought for myself that I could ask you how to install libxml2 properly. The $path is set good, thats what I know that work well in MSYS :-)
> This is the error I recrecived while using the guide above in the second step(the "make" command):

> Creating library file: .libs/libxml2.dll.a
> .libs/xmlIO.o: In function `xmlGzfileOpen_real':
> c:/Downloads/libxml2-2.6.30/xmlIO.c:1132: undefined reference to `gzopen64'
> .libs/xmlIO.o: In function `xmlGzfileOpenW':
> c:/Downloads/libxml2-2.6.30/xmlIO.c:1200: undefined reference to `gzopen64'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [libxml2.la] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/c/Downloads/libxml2-2.6.30'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/Downloads/libxml2-2.6.30'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Can you please help me? Does someone know how to install it properly?

What's your version of zlib? I remember having problems with older zlib
1.2.3, but it was updated to 1.2.5 recently, so it should be good. Look
in /mingw/include/zlib.h, the line you need starts with "#define
ZLIB_VERSION"

Tal

Re: Install libxml2 on windows(MSYS)

Tal
Still doesn't work... Same error. Just for being sure, I have copy the files both for C:\MinGW and C:\MinGW\msys\1.0 .
I download it from here(under "zlib" line) both Dev and Run-time:
http://www.gtk.org/download-windows.html
Anyone know how to deal it properly?

Re: Install libxml2 on windows(MSYS)

Allann Jones
I've compiled libxml2-2.7.8 successfully.

I've the latest version of mingw-get and updated MinGW system.

From MinGW Shell on Windows XP:

The followed steps:
- mingw-get install libtool
- Uncompress libxml2
- In a directory to build type:
<path_to_libxml2_uncompressed>/configure
--prefix=<directory_to_install>
- make
- make install

From installation directory:

$ ls
bin  include  lib  share

$ find bin
bin
bin/libxml2-2.dll
bin/xml2-config
bin/xmlcatalog.exe
bin/xmllint.exe

$ find lib
lib
lib/libxml2.a
lib/libxml2.dll.a
lib/libxml2.la
lib/pkgconfig
lib/pkgconfig/libxml-2.0.pc
lib/xml2Conf.sh

Try to install the basic packages for development on MSYS from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MSYS/

Try to update your zlib package, manually or using mingw-get:

$ mingw-get update zlib

or

$ mingw-get install zlib

Are you on a 64-bit system?

Best.

2011/5/4 tal - טל hadad - חדד <[hidden email]>:
> Still doesn't work... Same error. Just for being sure, I have copy the files
> both for C:\MinGW and C:\MinGW\msys\1.0 .
> I download it from here(under "zlib" line) both Dev and Run-time:
> http://www.gtk.org/download-windows.html
> Anyone know how to deal it properly?

Allann Jones

"I received the fundamentals of my education in school, but that was
not enough. My real education, the superstructure, the details, the
true architecture, I got out of the public library. For an
impoverished child whose family could not afford to buy books, the
library was the open door to wonder and achievement, and I can never
be sufficiently grateful that I had the wit to charge through that
door and make the most of it." (from I. Asimov, 1994)

Tal

Re: Install libxml2 on windows(MSYS)

Tal
Thanks. It is successfully installed now.(is it? see next lines)
I had the latest zlib, the problem was I didn't have "libtool"(I didn't know I need this) so this solve my problem. BTW: I'm 32 bit.
Now I said that there still a problem. The real reason I installed libxml2 is because I need GStreamer0.10 and this is depended on it.
So when I'm in "gstreamer-0.10.32" source tarball directory, I entered this line "./configure --prefix=/usr" and it tells me:

checking for XML... no
no
configure: error:
        Need libxml2 and development headers/files to build GStreamer.

        You can do without libxml2 if you pass --disable-loadsave to
        configure, but that breaks ABI, so don't do that unless you
        are building for an embedded setup and know what you are doing.

^?@TAL-WINDOWS /src/gstreamer-0.10.32
$

But I DID install libxml2 to /usr(the root) by "./config --prefix=/usr" as you told me above, and the file "/lib/pkgconfig/libxml-2.0.pc" does exist!

On 06.05.2011 11:31, tal - טל hadad - חדד wrote:

> Thanks. It is successfully installed now.(is it? see next lines)
> I had the latest zlib, the problem was I didn't have "libtool"(I didn't know I need this) so this solve my problem. BTW: I'm 32 bit.
> Now I said that there still a problem. The real reason I installed libxml2 is because I need GStreamer0.10 and this is depended on it.
> So when I'm in "gstreamer-0.10.32" source tarball directory, I entered this line "./configure --prefix=/usr" and it tells me:

> checking for XML... no
> no
> configure: error:
>          Need libxml2 and development headers/files to build GStreamer.
>
>          You can do without libxml2 if you pass --disable-loadsave to
>          configure, but that breaks ABI, so don't do that unless you
>          are building for an embedded setup and know what you are doing.
>

> ^?@TAL-WINDOWS /src/gstreamer-0.10.32
> $
>
> But I DID install libxml2 to /usr(the root) by "./config --prefix=/usr" as you told me above, and the file "/lib/pkgconfig/libxml-2.0.pc" does exist!
Most likely you have a problem with pkg-config.
Where is it installed? On Windows it automatically groks .pc files from
<pkg-config.exe directory>/../lib/pkgconfig/
If pkg-config is not in /bin/, it will not find /lib/pkgconfig/ by
itself, you'd have to add that directory to PKG_CONFIG_PATH when running
configure

Tal

Re: Install libxml2 on windows(MSYS)

Tal
Thank you for all your support, sorry for being a noob.
It's configuring well now, but still one more problem- it can't recognize /usr/lib/libiconv.la. Why? Because I install libtool via "mingw-get install libtoo".
The file does exist, but it is under C:\MinGW(because of using mingw-get), and my MSYS is under C:\MinGW\msys\1.0.
So if I'm kinda in troubles right now...
How can I solve this correctly? Can I re-install both minGW(+minGW-get) and MSYS to the same directory? Is it recommended?
Does MSYSGit will solve it to one directory, and could I install minGW-get in it?

On 06.05.2011 13:15, tal - טל hadad - חדד wrote:
> Thank you for all your support, sorry for being a noob.
> It's configuring well now, but still one more problem- it can't recognize /usr/lib/libiconv.la. Why? Because I install libtool via "mingw-get install libtoo".
> The file does exist, but it is under C:\MinGW(because of using mingw-get), and my MSYS is under C:\MinGW\msys\1.0.
> So if I'm kinda in troubles right now...
> How can I solve this correctly? Can I re-install both minGW(+minGW-get) and MSYS to the same directory? Is it recommended?
> Does MSYSGit will solve it to one directory, and could I install minGW-get in it?
"DOING IT WRONG".

MinGW and Msys MUST be located in different directories.
Anything that does not depend on msys-1.0.dll (that is, anything you
build with MinGW) should NOT go into /usr.
MinGW must live in a separate directory, and is usually mounted to
/mingw (but that is not required). Msys' /etc/profile will add
/mingw/bin to PATH BEFORE /bin, which is why Msys will use MinGW
toolchain and MinGW tools, even if you have toolchain and tools with the
same names in /usr/bin. If you don't mount MinGW directory as /mingw,
you'd have to edit /etc/profile.
If you build something with MinGW toolchain, you should put it into
/mingw by configuring with --prefix=/mingw
Never ever put anything MinGW-related into /usr/lib, /usr/bin or
/usr/include, these are for Msys only.
You MIGHT put something in /usr/local (this is usually the default
prefix), but MinGW will NOT find anything there by itself. If you do
that, you'd have to pass CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include" and
LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib" to configure/make (although configuring with
--prefix=/usr/local might take care of that - but that is up to
configure script, not MinGW tools).

Re: Install libxml2 on windows(MSYS)

tal - טל hadad - חדד wrote:

Please use a mail client to wrap your lines to no more than 78 characters.

> Thank you for all your support, sorry for being a noob.
> It's configuring well now, but still one more problem- it can't recognize /usr/lib/libiconv.la. Why? Because I install libtool via "mingw-get install libtoo".

Get rid of the .la file.  It is likely causing you grief and isn't required.

> The file does exist, but it is under C:\MinGW(because of using mingw-get), and my MSYS is under C:\MinGW\msys\1.0.
> So if I'm kinda in troubles right now...
> How can I solve this correctly? Can I re-install both minGW(+minGW-get) and MSYS to the same directory? Is it recommended?
> Does MSYSGit will solve it to one directory, and could I install minGW-get in it?

mingw-get has been told to store -mingw- files in c:\mingw and -msys-
files in c:\mingw\msys\1.0 since this is what we developers have decided
for best supported scenario.  Be careful with msys-git, it includes a
forked copy of MSYS and may get in the way of what you are trying to do.
 Be sure not to include in the Windows PATH settings paths to MSYS or MinGW.

When configuring the software for use with MinGW it is best suited for
you to use a prefix of c:/mingw (assuming you've installed MinGW there).

-- http://www.for-my-kids.com

Tal

Re: Install libxml2 on windows(MSYS)

Tal
Thank you!
I reinstall MinGW-get with MSYS Basic+Developer set up this, and it's work.
Thanks for all your help!