I keep getting errors when I try to compile in MinGW

I keep getting errors when I try to compile in MinGW

Chase Baggett
On the FAQ, it says that getting errors may be the result of a partial installation, but the link to the error messages is a dead link, much like many of the links on the FAQ.

I have been coding for a MUD server. Its pretty basic code. Runs in the command line. I have successfully compiled a version for windows in Cygwin which runs fine, but I can't legally distribute it due to proprietary DLLs.

The code compiles with a couple warnings on gcc 3.4 in both Linux and Cygwin. But in MinGW I get errors on the first file and it stops.

If anyone could tell me why my code will compile in linux and cygwin with gcc3.4 but not in MinGW with gcc3.4 it would be very helpful.

Thank You,
Brinson

The errors look like this:

$ mingw32-make
gcc -c -pipe -Wall -O2 -ggdb  act_comm.c
act_comm.c:39:19: crypt.h: No such file or directory
In file included from act_comm.c:42:
merc.h:58:19: crypt.h: No such file or directory
act_comm.c: In function `do_delete':
act_comm.c:135: error: `PLAYER_DIR' undeclared (first use in this function)
act_comm.c:135: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
act_comm.c:135: error: for each function it appears in.)
act_comm.c:166: warning: implicit declaration of function `crypt'
act_comm.c:166: warning: passing arg 1 of `strcmp' makes pointer from integer without a cast
act_comm.c:167: warning: passing arg 1 of `strcmp' makes pointer from integer without a cast
act_comm.c: In function `do_immpass':
act_comm.c:3070: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
act_comm.c: In function `do_delpass':
act_comm.c:3091: warning: passing arg 1 of `strcmp' makes pointer from integer without a cast
act_comm.c:3092: warning: passing arg 1 of `strcmp' makes pointer from integer without a cast
act_comm.c:3103: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
act_comm.c: In function `check_exist_name':
act_comm.c:3120: error: `PLAYER_DIR' undeclared (first use in this function)
act_comm.c: In function `deny_record':
act_comm.c:3179: error: `NULL_FILE' undeclared (first use in this function)
act_comm.c: In function `lookup_history':
act_comm.c:3383: error: `HISTORY_DIR' undeclared (first use in this function)
act_comm.c:3386: error: `NULL_FILE' undeclared (first use in this function)
mingw32-make: *** [act_comm.o] Error 1

Re: I keep getting errors when I try to compile in MinGW

Brian Dessent
Chase Baggett wrote:

> $ mingw32-make
> gcc -c -pipe -Wall -O2 -ggdb  act_comm.c
> act_comm.c:39:19: crypt.h: No such file or directory
> In file included from act_comm.c:42:
> merc.h:58:19: crypt.h: No such file or directory
> act_comm.c:166: warning: implicit declaration of function `crypt'

MinGW doesn't have this library.  You will have to build (and port it to
Win32 first if it hasn't yet been) and install it first.

> act_comm.c:3120: error: `PLAYER_DIR' undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> act_comm.c: In function `deny_record':
> act_comm.c:3179: error: `NULL_FILE' undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> act_comm.c: In function `lookup_history':
> act_comm.c:3383: error: `HISTORY_DIR' undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> act_comm.c:3386: error: `NULL_FILE' undeclared (first use in this
> function)

It seems like these are supposed to be #defined, most likely through
autoconf AC_DEFINE, which means that they should either be in a config.h
file or added to CPPFLAGS as -DPLAYER_DIR="whatever".  Aren't these set
when you run the configure script?

Brian

Re: I keep getting errors when I try to compile in MinGW

Soren Andersen
You might not want to read this if you don't think that people using
technical support communities should ever be expected to do any sort of
research or homework before they spew^D^D^D^D write to a mailing list
(you might also want to acquire a life and some self-respect, in that
case).

I'm responding to the message sent on 01 Oct 2008, at around 19:33 UTC,
  by "Chase Baggett" <warpnow ~at~ OBSCURED dot NUL>, who wrote
> I have been coding for a MUD server. Its pretty basic code. Runs in
> the command line. I have successfully compiled a version for windows
> in Cygwin which runs fine, but I can't legally distribute it due to
> proprietary DLLs.

Oh? But you'd be able to distribute something compiled with mingw? This
leads me to suspect that you mean "GPL'ed Cygwin1.dll DLL" in which case
your statement is fairly close to a legal definition of slander. ;-)

http://cygwin.com/licensing.html explains that the Cygwin runtime DLL is
licensed (meaning, has requirements for redistribution either in altered
or unaltered form) under the GPL, and furthermore that Redhat/Cygnus
asserts an emphasized user-protective right (agreed upon by the FSF and
compatible with the spirit and wording of the GPL) that says "you cannot
redistribute the binary (DLL) with your application unless you supply
the CYGWIN source code directly to your users as well".  Hmm, that's not
a proprietary license, that's basic GPL. "You have to provide the source
code, not just a binary".  Homework...

> The code compiles with a couple warnings on gcc 3.4 in both Linux and
> Cygwin. But in MinGW I get errors on the first file and it stops.
 [...]
> Thank You,
> Brinson

   Regards,  Soren <somian> Andersen
--
Blame it on Caradhras the Cruel.

Re: I keep getting errors when I try to compile in MinGW

Tuomo Latto
Soren Andersen wrote:

> I'm responding to the message sent on 01 Oct 2008, at around 19:33 UTC,
>   by "Chase Baggett" <warpnow ~at~ OBSCURED dot NUL>, who wrote
>> I have been coding for a MUD server. Its pretty basic code. Runs in
>> the command line. I have successfully compiled a version for windows
>> in Cygwin which runs fine, but I can't legally distribute it due to
>> proprietary DLLs.
>
> Oh? But you'd be able to distribute something compiled with mingw? This
> leads me to suspect that you mean "GPL'ed Cygwin1.dll DLL" in which case
> your statement is fairly close to a legal definition of slander. ;-)

I believe he might have meant that the application uses
proprietary dlls in which case a GPL'd cygwin.dll is a no-no
if one wants to distribute the end result.

--
Tuomo

... Profanity is the language all programmers know best

Re: I keep getting errors when I try to compile in MinGW

Soren Andersen
I'm responding to the message sent on 12 Oct 2008, at around 13:50 UTC,
  by "Tuomo Latto" <djv ~at~ OBSCURED dot NUL>, who wrote
> Soren Andersen wrote:
|> I'm responding to the message sent on 01 Oct 2008, at around 19:33
|> UTC, by "Chase Baggett" <warpnow ~at~ OBSCURED dot NUL>, who wrote
|>> I have been coding for a MUD server. Its pretty basic code. Runs in
|>> the command line. I have successfully compiled a version for
|>> windows in Cygwin which runs fine, but I can't legally distribute
|>> it due to proprietary DLLs.
|>
|> Oh? But you'd be able to distribute something compiled with mingw?
|> This leads me to suspect that you mean "GPL'ed Cygwin1.dll DLL" in
|> which case your statement is fairly close to a legal definition of
|> slander. ;-)
>
> I believe he might have meant that the application uses
> proprietary dlls in which case a GPL'd cygwin.dll is a no-no
> if one wants to distribute the end result.

We won't know unless a reply reaches the List one day which clarifies
what the OP meant.*  In any case, your statement about redistribution is
wrong, and is wrong *even after* having the advantage of having a URL
given to you in the message to which you are replying.  I am sorry for
your loss of face.  If we were Japanese, I'd be seriously sweating right
now (In Japanese society, causing a loss of face for another is a
serious misstep that leads to lowered status for one's self).  But we're
not Japanese, and we're supposedly intelligent people.

The Licensing statement says that you could have a 100% pure Open Source
or Free Software -Licensed application and you still cannot distribute
the Cygwin1.dll binary file with it.  Please don't ignore the fact this
time, Tuomo, since I've repeated it again for you.

If the OP was linking to some proprietary, non-GPL-compatible library,
this makes no difference in fact.  He or she *cannot* redistribute the
cygwin runtime binary without (a) providing the entire source code for
that binary, including all build support files and customarily,
providing support for all users at their asking, OR (b) purchasing the
other Cygwin License from RedHat.  If s/he does distribute anyway,
that's a GPL violation.  Period.

Facts trump guesswork and repetition of stuff that we've heard repeated
by other people every time.  Now, onto the guesswork part.

* In absence of clear information one customarily makes a best guess at
what was meant.  I believe that your guess is inferior to mine for the
following reasons:

  (1) "I have been coding for a MUD server. Its pretty basic
       code. Runs in the command line."

I've never encountered anyone writing a MUD server who was not a
beginning coder and pretty much a neophyte at everything.  I've never
encountered a commandline / text interface application for MUDs or
chatting that would use a proprietary library to achieve something.

  (2) Based on my previous extensive exposure to real-world examples,
      the likelihood that this hobbyist is using some proprietary
      library (on GNU/Linux?!?) to achieve something for a cli app
      seems very very remote.

Best guesses.