How to use make from MinGW to invoke Visual Studio C++ compiler

How to use make from MinGW to invoke Visual Studio C++ compiler

Lin Shen
Hello,

 We used the "make" from  MKS toolkits to invoke Visual Studio C++ compiler now. I am trying to use "make" from MinGW to invoke Visual Studio C++ compiler. Can you help me on it?

Thank you,

Lin

Re: How to use make from MinGW to invoke Visual Studio C++ compiler

Tor Lillqvist
> I am trying to use "make" from MinGW to invoke Visual Studio C++
> compiler. Can you help me on it?

You need to ask more specific questions. But I will respond in an
equally generic manner.

It is called "cl.exe". Just write a Make rule to run it with the
command-line parameters you want.

Re: How to use make from MinGW to invoke Visual Studio C++ compiler

Fabian Greffrath
Am 24.10.2011 23:08, schrieb Lin Shen:
> We used the "make" from MKS toolkits to invoke Visual Studio C++
> compiler now. I am trying to use "make" from MinGW to invoke Visual
> Studio C++ compiler. Can you help me on it?

Maybe invoke "make CC=cl".

Re: How to use make from MinGW to invoke Visual Studio C++ compiler

Allann Jones
On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 12:31 AM, Fabian Greffrath <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 24.10.2011 23:08, schrieb Lin Shen:
> We used the "make" from MKS toolkits to invoke Visual Studio C++
> compiler now. I am trying to use "make" from MinGW to invoke Visual
> Studio C++ compiler. Can you help me on it?

Maybe invoke "make CC=cl".

I found this explanation: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1827741/using-gnu-make-on-windows-to-compile-c-code-getting-a-subdirectory-or-file-ex

I generally use CMake to make compiler instructions more portable.

The native Make for Windows is NMake.

Best regards.