How to enable national language support (NLS) and install lanugage packge?

How to enable national language support (NLS) and install lanugage packge?

LI An-Bang
Hi, all,

I am a Chinese user of MinGW on Windows. I want MinGW to write out compiling messages in Chinese.

After some search and analysis on Internet, I realized that I should enable MinGW's  national language support (NLS), and I also noticed that the released version has configured with "--disable-nls".

So, my question is, how can I enable national language (NLS) support  and install lanugage packge?

Thanks in advance.

------------------
LI AnBang
Physics Department, Central China Normal University, China

Re: How to enable national language support (NLS) and install lanugage packge?

Eli Zaretskii
> From: "LI An-Bang" <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 11:21:31 +0800
>
> I am a Chinese user of MinGW on Windows. I want MinGW to write out compiling messages in Chinese.
> After some search and analysis on Internet, I realized that I should enable MinGW's national language support
> (NLS), and I also noticed that the released version has configured with "--disable-nls".
>
> So, my question is, how can I enable national language (NLS) support and install lanugage packge?

What do you mean by "MinGW" in this context?  Do you mean GCC?  How
did you notice that the released version was configured with --disable-nls?

In general, this setting is per-package.  For example, I have MinGW
GCC 4.9.3 installed on the system where I'm typing this, and it says:

  D:\>gcc -v
  Using built-in specs.
  COLLECT_GCC=gcc
  COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=d:/usr/bin/../libexec/gcc/mingw32/4.9.3/lto-wrapper.exe
  Target: mingw32
  Configured with: ../src/gcc-4.9.3/configure --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --host=mingw32 --prefix=/mingw --disable-win32-registry --target=mingw32 --with-arch=i586 --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,obj-c++,fortran,ada --enable-static --enable-shared --enable-threads --with-dwarf2 --disable-sjlj-exceptions --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --enable-libstdcxx-debug --with-tune=generic --enable-nls
  Thread model: win32                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^
  gcc version 4.9.3 (GCC)

The language-specific message catalogs come with the package.  They
are either part of the "binary" distribution, or might sometimes come
as a separate archive.  For example, for the above version of GCC, I
have gcc-4.9.3-1-mingw32-lang.tar.xz.