How to dump symbols the DLL exports, Did Mingw had such a tool?

How to dump symbols the DLL exports, Did Mingw had such a tool?

notmmao
hello everyone:
How to dump symbols the DLL exports,Did Mingw had such a tool?

I know mingw relatively shallow because of poor English;
Who can give me a simple guide on the collection of tools related to mingw.

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: How to dump symbols the DLL exports, Did Mingw had such a tool?

Greg Chicares
On 2008-12-10 04:50Z, notmmao wrote:

> How to dump symbols the DLL exports,Did Mingw had such a tool?

'nm' or 'objdump': see the link below.

http://sourceware.org/binutils/docs/binutils/index.html

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: How to dump symbols the DLL exports, Did Mingw had such a tool?

notmmao
"nm -g " is what I needed.
thanks,the warm-hearted man.

On 2008-12-10 04:50Z, notmmao wrote:

> How to dump symbols the DLL exports,Did Mingw had such a tool?

'nm' or 'objdump': see the link below.

> Who can give me a simple guide on the collection of tools related to mingw.

http://sourceware.org/binutils/docs/binutils/index.html

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: How to dump symbols the DLL exports, Did Mingw had such a tool?

Yongwei Wu
"objdump -p" may be better.

--
Wu Yongwei

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: How to dump symbols the DLL exports, Did Mingw had such a tool?

Kai Tietz
"Yongwei Wu" <[hidden email]> wrote on 10.12.2008 08:24:24:

> "objdump -p" may be better.
>
> 2008/12/10 notmmao <[hidden email]>:
> > "nm -g " is what I needed.
> > thanks,the warm-hearted man.

> >> 'nm' or 'objdump': see the link below.

> >> http://sourceware.org/binutils/docs/binutils/index.html

> >> Nevada.
> >> The future of the web can't happen without you.  Join us at MIX09 to
help

> >> pave the way to the Next Web now. Learn more and register at
> >>
> >> http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;208669438;13503038;i?http://2009.
> visitmix.com/

> >> This list observes the Etiquette found at
> >> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
> >> We ask that you be polite and do the same.

Nevada.
> > The future of the web can't happen without you.  Join us at MIX09 to
help
> > pave the way to the Next Web now. Learn more and register at

> > This list observes the Etiquette found at
> > http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
> > We ask that you be polite and do the same.
> >

> --
> Wu Yongwei

Hi,

You can give this tool a try, too. It produces .def files out of 32-bit
and 64-bit dlls. You just need to compile it via mingw (it is at the
momement windows only source) and then start it by passing as input
argument the full name to the dll. It will then tries to generate a .def
file for it with DATA and '@' decoration - if necessary.
See link
http://mingw-w64.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mingw-w64/experimental/tools/gendef/
for source.

Kai

|  (\_/)  This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
| (='.'=) into your signature to help him gain
| (")_(") world domination.

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: How to dump symbols the DLL exports, Did Mingw had such a tool?

notmmao
Tools to change life .
How do you find a tool like this?

notmmao <[hidden email]> wrote on 10.12.2008 10:58:49:

> Tools to change life .
> How do you find a tool like this?

I wrote this tool ;)

Kai

PS: Please stop top posting.

|  (\_/)  This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
| (='.'=) into your signature to help him gain
| (")_(") world domination.

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: How to dump symbols the DLL exports, Did Mingw had such a tool?

Tor Lillqvist
> I wrote this tool ;)

Will this gendef tool supersede pexports, and have a committed
maintainer even? Great!

"Tor Lillqvist" <[hidden email]> wrote on 10.12.2008 11:16:48:

> > I wrote this tool ;)
>
> Will this gendef tool supersede pexports, and have a committed
> maintainer even? Great!
>
> --tml

Yes, I'll maintain it. Some parts are still to do. There are still some
issues, I want to solve.
1) Forward entries aren't analysed at the moment for their '@' decoration.
2) I want to introduce a conversion of ms name decoration to gnu one, so
tool can generate name aliases for them usable by gnu for C++.
3) And some additional options for output directory and default behaviour
have to be added.

If somebody has suggestions for this, don't hesitate to tell me.

Kai

|  (\_/)  This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
| (='.'=) into your signature to help him gain
| (")_(") world domination.

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: How to dump symbols the DLL exports, Did Mingw had such a tool?

JonY-2
On 12/10/2008 18:16, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
>> I wrote this tool ;)
>
> Will this gendef tool supersede pexports, and have a committed
> maintainer even? Great!
>
> --tml

I'm curious how pexports differ from gendef. Can anybody enlighten me?

JonY <[hidden email]> wrote on 10.12.2008 11:40:22:

> On 12/10/2008 18:16, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> >> I wrote this tool ;)
> >
> > Will this gendef tool supersede pexports, and have a committed
> > maintainer even? Great!
> >
> > --tml
> >

> I'm curious how pexports differ from gendef. Can anybody enlighten me?

I am not sure, what the difference is. I never took a look on pexports. I
assume it is the support of 64-bit dlls, and for 32-bit an automatic
'@'<n> decoration of function symbols.

Cheers,
Kai

|  (\_/)  This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
| (='.'=) into your signature to help him gain
| (")_(") world domination.

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: How to dump symbols the DLL exports, Did Mingw had such a tool?

Tor Lillqvist
> I am not sure, what the difference is. I never took a look on pexports. I
> assume it is the support of 64-bit dlls,

Well, some months back on this very list I announced an "unofficial"
(in the sense that I don't want to be seen as being a maintainer of
it) enhancement to pexports that added support for 64-bit PEs.

That said, pexports had grown some irrelevant (IMHO) cruft at some
stage (the possibility to scan header files for function declarations,
brrr), and as your gendef is cleaner, concentrates on one task only,
and actually maintained, I am all for it!

On 12/10/2008 20:45, Tor Lillqvist wrote:

>> I am not sure, what the difference is. I never took a look on pexports. I
>> assume it is the support of 64-bit dlls,
>
> Well, some months back on this very list I announced an "unofficial"
> (in the sense that I don't want to be seen as being a maintainer of
> it) enhancement to pexports that added support for 64-bit PEs.
>
> That said, pexports had grown some irrelevant (IMHO) cruft at some
> stage (the possibility to scan header files for function declarations,
> brrr), and as your gendef is cleaner, concentrates on one task only,
> and actually maintained, I am all for it!
>
> --tml

Hi,
gendef seems to add the @<n> part automatically, is that by design?
Something doesn't look right for some functions though.

DLL is msvcrt.dll, output from "diff -u gendef_output pexports_output".

-_cwait@12
+_cwait
-_mbctombb@19316
+_mbctombb
-_findnext@4234
+_findnext

_cwait shouldn't have stdcall decorations according mingw process.h.
Overall, it still needs some fixing. Keep up the good work!

JonY <[hidden email]> wrote on 10.12.2008 15:57:24:

> On 12/10/2008 20:45, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> >> I am not sure, what the difference is. I never took a look on
pexports. I

> >> assume it is the support of 64-bit dlls,
> >
> > Well, some months back on this very list I announced an "unofficial"
> > (in the sense that I don't want to be seen as being a maintainer of
> > it) enhancement to pexports that added support for 64-bit PEs.
> >
> > That said, pexports had grown some irrelevant (IMHO) cruft at some
> > stage (the possibility to scan header files for function declarations,
> > brrr), and as your gendef is cleaner, concentrates on one task only,
> > and actually maintained, I am all for it!
> >
> > --tml
> >

> Hi,
> gendef seems to add the @<n> part automatically, is that by design?
> Something doesn't look right for some functions though.
>
> DLL is msvcrt.dll, output from "diff -u gendef_output pexports_output".

> -_cwait@12
> +_cwait
> -_mbctombb@19316
> +_mbctombb
> -_findnext@4234
> +_findnext
>
> _cwait shouldn't have stdcall decorations according mingw process.h.
> Overall, it still needs some fixing. Keep up the good work!

Yes, it does this by design. Those failures are interesting. I'll do some
furher checking.

Thanks,
Kai

|  (\_/)  This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
| (='.'=) into your signature to help him gain
| (")_(") world domination.

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

Re: How to dump symbols the DLL exports, Did Mingw had such a tool?

Kai Tietz
JonY <[hidden email]> wrote on 10.12.2008 15:57:24:

> On 12/10/2008 20:45, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> >> I am not sure, what the difference is. I never took a look on
pexports. I

> >> assume it is the support of 64-bit dlls,
> >
> > Well, some months back on this very list I announced an "unofficial"
> > (in the sense that I don't want to be seen as being a maintainer of
> > it) enhancement to pexports that added support for 64-bit PEs.
> >
> > That said, pexports had grown some irrelevant (IMHO) cruft at some
> > stage (the possibility to scan header files for function declarations,
> > brrr), and as your gendef is cleaner, concentrates on one task only,
> > and actually maintained, I am all for it!
> >
> > --tml
> >

> Hi,
> gendef seems to add the @<n> part automatically, is that by design?
> Something doesn't look right for some functions though.
>
> DLL is msvcrt.dll, output from "diff -u gendef_output pexports_output".

> -_cwait@12
> +_cwait
> -_mbctombb@19316
> +_mbctombb
> -_findnext@4234
> +_findnext
>
> _cwait shouldn't have stdcall decorations according mingw process.h.
> Overall, it still needs some fixing. Keep up the good work!

I found the problem for this. Thank for telling me. Fixed at revision 524.

On 12/11/2008 19:16, Kai Tietz wrote:

> JonY<[hidden email]>  wrote on 10.12.2008 15:57:24:

> pexports. I
>>> Well, some months back on this very list I announced an "unofficial"
>>> (in the sense that I don't want to be seen as being a maintainer of
>>> it) enhancement to pexports that added support for 64-bit PEs.
>>>
>>> That said, pexports had grown some irrelevant (IMHO) cruft at some
>>> stage (the possibility to scan header files for function declarations,
>>> brrr), and as your gendef is cleaner, concentrates on one task only,
>>> and actually maintained, I am all for it!
>>>
>>> --tml
>>>
>> Hi,
>> gendef seems to add the @<n>  part automatically, is that by design?
>> Something doesn't look right for some functions though.
>>
>> DLL is msvcrt.dll, output from "diff -u gendef_output pexports_output".

>> -_cwait@12
>> +_cwait
>> -_mbctombb@19316
>> +_mbctombb
>> -_findnext@4234
>> +_findnext
>>
>> _cwait shouldn't have stdcall decorations according mingw process.h.
>> Overall, it still needs some fixing. Keep up the good work!
>
> I found the problem for this. Thank for telling me. Fixed at revision 524.
>
> Kai
>
> |  (\_/)  This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
> | (='.'=) into your signature to help him gain
> | (")_(") world domination.

Hi,
unfortunately, only some are fixed. Some still there, more in attachment.

-_cwait@12
+_cwait
-_mbctombb@19316
+_mbctombb

Other than the above two functions, I'm not sure which output is correct.

There are also printf format warnings to silence, mostly fixed by
changing %u to %lu and %x to %lx, though I'm not sure if its due to the
difference between 32bit/64bit Windows. I'm running 32bit XP by the way.

Maybe its time to start a new thread too...

This list observes the Etiquette found at http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.

msvcrt.diff (5K) Download Attachment

Testing gendef tool

Kai Tietz
JonY <[hidden email]> wrote on 11.12.2008 13:48:02:

> Hi,
> unfortunately, only some are fixed. Some still there, more in
attachment.

> -_cwait@12
> +_cwait
> -_mbctombb@19316
> +_mbctombb
>
> Other than the above two functions, I'm not sure which output is
correct.

> There are also printf format warnings to silence, mostly fixed by
> changing %u to %lu and %x to %lx, though I'm not sure if its due to the
> difference between 32bit/64bit Windows. I'm running 32bit XP by the way.
>
> Maybe its time to start a new thread too...

Hi,

I found the problem for _cwait and mbctombb. Committed revision 528.
I fixed - so far as I saw them - the printf format warnings. For w32 and
for w32 a long remains four bytes.