Help me

Marco A Raymundo

Hi, I did not understand the steps of the installation, for me it is very confused, please can you help me?

I make the installation with the auto installer and include in path variable, when the test “g++ helloworld.cpp -o helloworld.exe”, the answer was:

g++: helloword.cpp: No such file or directory

g++: helloword.exe: No input file

I read more about this and found it is necessary install MSYS. I installed the MSYS under "c:\msys", when the installation asked me about path of the installation MinGW, my answer was "c:\MinGW".

I repeated the test, but no changes happened.

I am a beginner about this, and I need (if possible) of the more steps details.

I used Windows XP-SP3

Thanks!

Marco

2) Thread hijacking

Re: Help me

Uwe R.
Hi!

  > I make the installation with the auto installer and include in path

> variable, when the test “g++ helloworld.cpp -o helloworld.exe”, the
> answer was:
>
> g++: helloword.cpp: No such file or directory
>
> g++: helloword.exe: No input file
>

> I read more about this and found it is necessary install MSYS. I
> installed the MSYS under "c:\msys", when the installation asked me about
> path of the installation MinGW, my answer was "c:\MinGW".

You dont have to install msys for mingw, but you need it for some other
installations with compilation (wxwidgets etc.).

Just include c:\mingw and c:\mingw\bin
into your path variable. Then it should work.

Regards,
Uwe

2) Thread hijacking

Re: Help me

John E. / TDM
Uwe Rossow wrote:
> You dont have to install msys for mingw, but you need it for some other
> installations with compilation (wxwidgets etc.).

MSYS is *not* necessary to compile wxWidgets. See "Using makefiles
directly" from docs/msw/install.txt; this works just fine.

-John E. / TDM

2) Thread hijacking

Re: Help me

On Friday 27 March 2009 17:57:07 Uwe Rossow wrote:
> > g++: helloword.cpp: No such file or directory
> >
> > g++: helloword.exe: No input file
> >
> > I read more about this and found it is necessary install MSYS.

It isn't, but many choose to do so anyway, because it is useful.

> > I installed the MSYS under "c:\msys", when the installation asked me
> > about path of the installation MinGW, my answer was "c:\MinGW".

Which is correct, when you've taken the sensible option, and accepted the
installation defaults.

> You dont have to install msys for mingw, but you need it for some other
> installations with compilation (wxwidgets etc.).
>
> Just include c:\mingw and c:\mingw\bin into your path variable.

It should be sufficient to just add c:\mingw\bin; c;\mingw does not need
to be in the PATH.

> Then it should work.

Maybe, but the OP's error messages suggest that he has created no such
source file as helloworld.cpp, not that there is a PATH problem.

2) Thread hijacking

Re: Help me

Rüdiger Ranft
Marco A Raymundo schrieb:

> Hi, I did not understand the steps of the installation, for me it is very
> confused, please can you help me?
>

> I make the installation with the auto installer and include in path
> variable, when the test “g++ helloworld.cpp -o helloworld.exe”, the answer
> was:
>
> g++: helloword.cpp: No such file or directory
>
> g++: helloword.exe: No input file

This means that you started g++ not in the directory where your sources
are. Say your soure file is in c:\my data\foo\helloworld.cpp, then you
need to go with your shell there first by entering
     cd "c:\my data\foo\helloworld.cpp"
WITH those quotation marks. Then you can run g++ there.

bye
Rudi

--
GPG encrypted mails preferred.
GPG verschlüsselte Mails bevorzugt.

2) Thread hijacking

Re: Help me

Earnie Boyd
Quoting Rüdiger Ranft <[hidden email]>:

> need to go with your shell there first by entering
>      cd "c:\my data\foo\helloworld.cpp"

Correction: cd "c:\my data\foo"

Your command would fail because you specified the file.

2) Thread hijacking

Re: Help me

Keith Marshall
On Tuesday 31 March 2009 12:49:17 Earnie Boyd wrote:
> > need to go with your shell there first by entering
> >      cd "c:\my data\foo\helloworld.cpp"
>
> Correction: cd "c:\my data\foo"
>
> Your command would fail because you specified the file.

To say nothing of the potential problems to be caused by the space in the
path name, especially if make is to be used to maintain the project.

2) Thread hijacking