Happy new year

Son Tran
Dear all,
This is my first post to this list. So happy new year to all :-)
In fact I use msys and mingw platform to compile VLC for windows. One problem I have now is that I need a version of "sed" that support the inline edit (option -i) . Currently in my msys, I have sed 3.02. I try to download the latest sed ( version 4.1.5). But the compiling process failed in msys with the error _bcopy is not defined....
Does anyone have a snapshot of sed, that supports the option -i? Or would you please give me some hints to compile sed in msys/ mingw
Thank you
Son TRAN

Re: Happy new year

Greg Chicares
On 2009-01-31 22:05Z, Son Tran wrote:

> problem I have now is that I need a version of "sed" that support the inline
> edit (option -i) . Currently in my msys, I have sed 3.02. I try to download
> the latest sed ( version 4.1.5). But the compiling process failed in msys
> with the error _bcopy is not defined....

I believe I built sed-4.0.7 successfully with MSYS a few
years ago, without changing the sources at all. That
version appears to have the '-i' option.

Re: Happy new year

Roumen Petrov
Greg Chicares wrote:
> On 2009-01-31 22:05Z, Son Tran wrote:
>> problem I have now is that I need a version of "sed" that support the inline
>> edit (option -i) . Currently in my msys, I have sed 3.02. I try to download
>> the latest sed ( version 4.1.5). But the compiling process failed in msys
>> with the error _bcopy is not defined....

Son, you may use memcpy instead. bcopy(..) is BSD specific.

> I believe I built sed-4.0.7 successfully with MSYS a few
> years ago, without changing the sources at all. That
> version appears to have the '-i' option.

sed 4.0.7 may not work well. I expect the last (4.0.9) from 4.0.x series
to work well. I could not remember what was the problem: performance,
incorrect or missing handling of some regular expressions: \s(?).

Roumen

Re: Happy new year

Quoting Greg Chicares <[hidden email]>:

> On 2009-01-31 22:05Z, Son Tran wrote:
>>
>> problem I have now is that I need a version of "sed" that support the inline
>> edit (option -i) . Currently in my msys, I have sed 3.02. I try to download
>> the latest sed ( version 4.1.5). But the compiling process failed in msys
>> with the error _bcopy is not defined....
>
> I believe I built sed-4.0.7 successfully with MSYS a few
> years ago, without changing the sources at all. That
> version appears to have the '-i' option.

Which would give you a windows native version of sed instead of one
dependent on MSYS-1.0.dll.  This may cause unknown issues.  I forget
now why I included a version of sed with MSYS.  I do know that I
modified the original source of the original version of sed that was
included with MSYS.

Re: Happy new year

Quoting Son Tran <[hidden email]>:

> Dear all,
> This is my first post to this list. So happy new year to all :-)
> In fact I use msys and mingw platform to compile VLC for windows. One
> problem I have now is that I need a version of "sed" that support the inline
> edit (option -i) . Currently in my msys, I have sed 3.02. I try to download
> the latest sed ( version 4.1.5). But the compiling process failed in msys
> with the error _bcopy is not defined....
> Does anyone have a snapshot of sed, that supports the option -i? Or would
> you please give me some hints to compile sed in msys/ mingw
> Thank you
> Son TRAN

How did you configure the package?