Good GUI debugger for MinGW?

12

Good GUI debugger for MinGW?

John Pote
I recently had a bug that took a lot of edit, add printfs, compile, run
loops before I tracked it down. (forgot to set a flag). This was all
done from a Windows command prompt window and would have been a lot
quicker if I'd had a good debugger. Any suggestions for a good GUI based
debugger to work with the MinGW compiler would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
John

Re: Good GUI debugger for MinGW?

Eli Zaretskii
> Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 19:32:46 +0100
> From: John Pote <[hidden email]>
>
> I recently had a bug that took a lot of edit, add printfs, compile, run
> loops before I tracked it down. (forgot to set a flag). This was all
> done from a Windows command prompt window and would have been a lot
> quicker if I'd had a good debugger. Any suggestions for a good GUI based
> debugger to work with the MinGW compiler would be much appreciated.

Obviously, GDB is the first candidate.  If you want a UI other than
the default command line, you could try 2: (a) the TUI interface,
which is just a text-mode full-screen windowed UI based on curses;
and (b) Emacs, which has a GUI front-end for GDB.

Re: Good GUI debugger for MinGW?

Raymond Balint
I don't think there is anything better than the debugging experience of VS, but that won't read GCC symbols. WinDBG is spartan, but I see some claims that it reads COFF symbols. The last (well put together) product (although it's just an RC build) coming to mind is CLion from JetBrains.

> Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 19:32:46 +0100

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Mingw-users] Good GUI debugger for MinGW?
>
> I recently had a bug that took a lot of edit, add printfs, compile, run
> loops before I tracked it down. (forgot to set a flag). This was all
> done from a Windows command prompt window and would have been a lot
> quicker if I'd had a good debugger. Any suggestions for a good GUI based
> debugger to work with the MinGW compiler would be much appreciated.
>
> Many thanks,
> John

Re: Good GUI debugger for MinGW?

Peter Rockett
On 03/04/15 19:32, John Pote wrote:
> I recently had a bug that took a lot of edit, add printfs, compile, run
> loops before I tracked it down. (forgot to set a flag). This was all
> done from a Windows command prompt window and would have been a lot
> quicker if I'd had a good debugger. Any suggestions for a good GUI based
> debugger to work with the MinGW compiler would be much appreciated.
>
> Many thanks,
> John
John

Check out the CodeBlocks or CodelIte IDEs - both have good GU interfaces
to GDB although you will have to rebuild the project within these IDEs.
(The last time I did a head-to-head comparison, CodelIte had a slightly
better GDB interface but that comparison may now be out of date.)

Not too sure if Nemiver will build (easily) under Windows but if you
want a pure GUI for GDB, that may be worth a look.

P.

Re: Good GUI debugger for MinGW?

Matt P. Dziubinski
On 4/3/2015 20:32, John Pote wrote:
> I recently had a bug that took a lot of edit, add printfs, compile, run
> loops before I tracked it down. (forgot to set a flag). This was all
> done from a Windows command prompt window and would have been a lot
> quicker if I'd had a good debugger. Any suggestions for a good GUI based
> debugger to work with the MinGW compiler would be much appreciated.
Hi!

I can definitely recommend Qt Creator:
http://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-debugging.html
http://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-debugger-engines.html

Despite the name, it also works great for standard (read: non-Qt) C++
applications, it's cross-platform (Linux, OS X, Windows), has a growing
community, and is currently under active development resulting in a lot
of new features (supports MinGW/GCC, Clang (with support for its static
analyzer as well as using its engine for auto-completion), finally -- in
addition to MinGW -- it also supports MSVC under Windows).
Recent updates:
http://blog.qt.io/blog/2015/03/05/qt-creator-3-4-beta1-released/

Tutorials:
http://web.stanford.edu/class/cs106b/qtcreator/DebuggingWithQtCreator.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UsWtyhXh4
http://web.stanford.edu/class/cs106b/qtcreator/qtcreator.html

"Getting Started Debugging on Linux" talk by Bruce Dawson is also quite
informative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTmAknUbpB0

Example:
http://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-debugging-example.html

Best,

Matt

Re: Good GUI debugger for MinGW?

revelator
I had success in building the insight debugger for both 32 and 64 bit
mingw, so far it seems to work fine,
you are welcome to try it but a patchset others can use to build it is
probably a bit off,
since it required a few non standard hacks to get around the problem
with itcl/itk not being to happy with the mingw64 compiler (have to
unset MSYSTEM to force the build and a lot of other nasty things).
Insight was build with python pretty printing and includes the gdb it
was build against.

you can find it here ->
https://sourceforge.net/projects/cbadvanced/files/Tools/

Den 04-04-2015 kl. 13:19 skrev Matt D.:

> On 4/3/2015 20:32, John Pote wrote:
>> I recently had a bug that took a lot of edit, add printfs, compile, run
>> loops before I tracked it down. (forgot to set a flag). This was all
>> done from a Windows command prompt window and would have been a lot
>> quicker if I'd had a good debugger. Any suggestions for a good GUI based
>> debugger to work with the MinGW compiler would be much appreciated.
> Hi!
>
> I can definitely recommend Qt Creator:
> http://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-debugging.html
> http://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-debugger-engines.html
>
> Despite the name, it also works great for standard (read: non-Qt) C++
> applications, it's cross-platform (Linux, OS X, Windows), has a growing
> community, and is currently under active development resulting in a lot
> of new features (supports MinGW/GCC, Clang (with support for its static
> analyzer as well as using its engine for auto-completion), finally -- in
> addition to MinGW -- it also supports MSVC under Windows).
> Recent updates:
> http://blog.qt.io/blog/2015/03/05/qt-creator-3-4-beta1-released/
>
> Tutorials:
> http://web.stanford.edu/class/cs106b/qtcreator/DebuggingWithQtCreator.pdf
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UsWtyhXh4
> http://web.stanford.edu/class/cs106b/qtcreator/qtcreator.html
>
> "Getting Started Debugging on Linux" talk by Bruce Dawson is also quite
> informative:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTmAknUbpB0
>
> Example:
> http://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-debugging-example.html
>
> Best,
>
> Matt

Re: Good GUI debugger for MinGW? -Try Netbeans!

Chris
If you are using QT then QT Creator is the only tool.

BUT

I use netbeans daily. It's a great IDE and the debugger works well with GDB.
I switch from C/C++ to php all the time and never have to leave the IDE.

I use it at work and at home.

All thumbs up for Netbeans on windows.

Chris

On 04/04/15 22:41, ralph engels wrote:
> I had success in building the insight debugger for both 32 and 64 bit
> mingw,

Hmm.  Which version?  Development seems to have stagnated with r6.8-1;
according to https://www.sourceware.org/insight/index.php this is almost
six years old.  Notwithstanding ...

> so far it seems to work fine, you are welcome to try it but a
> patchset others can use to build it is probably a bit off,

That's rather unfortunate; (see below).

> you can find it here ->
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/cbadvanced/files/Tools/

I see insight32.7z and insight64.7z, both of which appear to be binary
release archives.  I don't see corresponding source archives, from which
I may replicate your builds.  Where are they?  By failing to provide
them, you are infringing the GPL, (unless you can immediately honour
this request to provide them).  IANAL, but I suspect that this may be
grounds for the FSF to ask either you, or SourceForge if you fail to
address the issue, to take your archives, (and maybe even your entire
project), off line.

Re: Good GUI debugger for MinGW?

revelator
If you had read the message i pointed out that the patchset for building
the sources are not done yet (specifically the ones reguarding building
the itcl/itk 3.3 sources with mingw64) i can provide the insight/gdb
sources if you want a look, or simply get them from the msys2 project.
as for the version, its based on the msys2 version and was intended
to be uploaded to Alex when i got work done on the old itcl/itk sources.

As for my project if you refer to my compiler suite, a good deal of the
sources involved should be there but frankly i havent had a look in
those sections for years mostly if something is missing its because i
had to use blatant hacks back then that could not be transfered to a
patch to build it at that time. Most of it is reduntdant anyway as i
shifted to using Msys2 now and it will be removed shortly.

If you want the changes involving codeblocks or packages i do have ready
made patches for ill be happy to upload them just ask.

Thanks.

Den 06-04-2015 kl. 08:07 skrev Keith Marshall:

> On 04/04/15 22:41, ralph engels wrote:
>> I had success in building the insight debugger for both 32 and 64 bit
>> mingw,
> Hmm.  Which version?  Development seems to have stagnated with r6.8-1;
> according to https://www.sourceware.org/insight/index.php this is almost
> six years old.  Notwithstanding ...
>
>> so far it seems to work fine, you are welcome to try it but a
>> patchset others can use to build it is probably a bit off,
> That's rather unfortunate; (see below).
>
>> you can find it here ->
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/cbadvanced/files/Tools/
> I see insight32.7z and insight64.7z, both of which appear to be binary
> release archives.  I don't see corresponding source archives, from which
> I may replicate your builds.  Where are they?  By failing to provide
> them, you are infringing the GPL, (unless you can immediately honour
> this request to provide them).  IANAL, but I suspect that this may be
> grounds for the FSF to ask either you, or SourceForge if you fail to
> address the issue, to take your archives, (and maybe even your entire
> project), off line.

Re: Good GUI debugger for MinGW?

Keith Marshall
On 06/04/15 10:30, ralph engels wrote:
> If you had read the message

I did.

> i pointed out that the patchset for building  the sources are not
> done yet (specifically the ones reguarding building the itcl/itk 3.3
> sources with mingw64)

So, you go ahead and post binaries, before you are able to deliver
matching source?  Technically, that's a GPL infringement.

> i can provide the insight/gdb sources if you want a look,

Please post them alongside your binaries.  (I am more interested in
those relating to mingw32, and compatible with MinGW.org distribution;
they should be in a form which will allow me to reproduce your build).

> or simply get them from the msys2 project.

No.  In directing me to another project, which you don't control, you
are yet again infringing GPL; *you* are required to furnish source for
the binaries you distribute, preferably using a similar distribution
medium, via a conduit which *you* control.

Please don't misunderstand me; I don't want to see your project shut
down, but you really do need to take better care to comply with the
relevant licences ... GPL requires you to be in a position to supply
source on demand, such that any other user can reproduce your builds,
and it does not permit you to abrogate responsibility for such supply by
delegation to a third party.

Re: Good GUI debugger for MinGW?

revelator
GPL as far as i know allows a dev upto 3 years to get a patchset out
section 3b i believe but lets not split hairs
over this, im more than happy to share my work. Ill even give a small
tutorial to allow users to build itcl/itk3.4
with MinGW64 with no patching (it works but damn its an ugly way of
doing it). Basically get Msys2 cd to itcl source dir open bash and make
sure MSYSTEM=MINGW32 configure change to the MinGW64 compiler and cd
back into the source dir now make and make install. It works but as you
can see its not a pretty way of doing things so im working on tcl.m4 so
that i can regenerate a working configure for MinGW64.

Not sure the patch will work with standard mingw but i might be wrong,
ill upload it to the same folder on sourceforge.

You also need to run sed on /gcc-source/gcc/config/i386/mingw32.h and a
few other things, so ill upload my build scripts as well.

Here you go
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cbadvanced/files/Tools/gcc-4.9.2-buildsystem.7z/download

On 06/04/15 12:37, ralph engels wrote:
> GPL as far as i know allows a dev upto 3 years to get a patchset out
> section 3b i believe ...

I think you are misinterpreting:

> 3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
> under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of
> Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the
> following:

>   b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
>   years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
>   cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
>   machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
>   distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a
>   medium customarily used for software interchange; or, ...

That doesn't give you three years grace to come up with the source!  On
the contrary, it *requires* you to offer the source for *immediate*
distribution, and to *continue* to honour your offer to provide it for a
minimum period of three years after first publication of the binary.

Re: Good GUI debugger for MinGW? -Try Netbeans!

Emanuel Falkenauer

We have NetBeans installed on all our [windows] machines for Java
developments. On the other hand, debugging MinGW with gdb's native
"interface" is indeed an excruciating experience - would you be so kind
to point to a resource that would explain how to set up NetBeans for C++
debugging with MinGW?

Many thanks in advance!

Emanuel

On 05-Apr-15 12:38, Chris wrote:

> If you are using QT then QT Creator is the only tool.
>
> BUT
>
> I use netbeans daily. It's a great IDE and the debugger works well with GDB.
> I switch from C/C++ to php all the time and never have to leave the IDE.
>
> I use it at work and at home.
>
> All thumbs up for Netbeans on windows.
>
> Chris
>
> On 5/04/2015 7:11 AM, ralph engels wrote:
>> I had success in building the insight debugger for both 32 and 64 bit
>> mingw, so far it seems to work fine,
>> you are welcome to try it but a patchset others can use to build it is
>> probably a bit off,
>> since it required a few non standard hacks to get around the problem
>> with itcl/itk not being to happy with the mingw64 compiler (have to
>> unset MSYSTEM to force the build and a lot of other nasty things).
>> Insight was build with python pretty printing and includes the gdb it
>> was build against.
>>
>> you can find it here ->
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/cbadvanced/files/Tools/

>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I can definitely recommend Qt Creator:
>>> http://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-debugging.html
>>> http://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-debugger-engines.html
>>>
>>> Despite the name, it also works great for standard (read: non-Qt) C++
>>> applications, it's cross-platform (Linux, OS X, Windows), has a growing
>>> community, and is currently under active development resulting in a lot
>>> of new features (supports MinGW/GCC, Clang (with support for its static
>>> analyzer as well as using its engine for auto-completion), finally -- in
>>> addition to MinGW -- it also supports MSVC under Windows).
>>> Recent updates:
>>> http://blog.qt.io/blog/2015/03/05/qt-creator-3-4-beta1-released/
>>>
>>> Tutorials:
>>> http://web.stanford.edu/class/cs106b/qtcreator/DebuggingWithQtCreator.pdf
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UsWtyhXh4
>>> http://web.stanford.edu/class/cs106b/qtcreator/qtcreator.html
>>>
>>> "Getting Started Debugging on Linux" talk by Bruce Dawson is also quite
>>> informative:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTmAknUbpB0
>>>
>>> Example:
>>> http://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-debugging-example.html
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Matt

>>> [hidden email]
>>>
>>> This list observes the Etiquette found at
>>> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
>>> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

>> [hidden email]
>>
>> This list observes the Etiquette found at
>> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
>> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

Re: Good GUI debugger for MinGW? -Try Netbeans!

Chris
Hi

It really is as easy as you would hope. Netbeans sets up the environment for you provided your tools are installed in the default locations.

Download the CPP version of Netbeans or the CPP plugin if you have netbeans already installed.

I found the easiest solution was to use cygwin it was hassle free.
https://netbeans.org/community/releases/80/cpp-setup-instructions.html

You do need to be careful of your paths if you have multiple compilers

Debugging is as easy as setting a breakpoint and then clicking the debug icon.
https://netbeans.org/kb/docs/cnd/debugging.html

I will admit I haven't done much heavy lifting with it. but I have debugged a remote application running on linux from windows. While a bit slow it was quite workable.

I went to Netbeans after giving up trying to get eclipse to work in a reliable way and have never looked back.

Chris

Hi,

On 05-Apr-15 12:38, Chris wrote:
[...]

Also: [hidden email]

Also: [hidden email]

Also: [hidden email]

Also: [hidden email]

Re: Good GUI debugger for MinGW?

revelator
Not the source just any modification that requires a patch for it to
work where it normally would not,
the source code is ofc required. Ok so i need to upload unmodified
source alongside the binaries + if any patch is required for building it
that to. Ok got that. Just bugs me that i cannot redistribute a working
program untill i have a working patch :S since that might be some way
off (im not that good with autotools) but maybe someone can pitch in
now that i proven itcl/itk3.4 can be built with mingw64 and help do the
nessesary changes to tcl.m4.

Ralph

Den 06-04-2015 kl. 15:02 skrev Keith Marshall:

> On 06/04/15 12:37, ralph engels wrote:
>> GPL as far as i know allows a dev upto 3 years to get a patchset out
>> section 3b i believe ...
> I think you are misinterpreting:
>
>> 3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
>> under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of
>> Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the
>> following:

>>    b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
>>    years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
>>    cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
>>    machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
>>    distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a
>>    medium customarily used for software interchange; or, ...
> That doesn't give you three years grace to come up with the source!  On
> the contrary, it *requires* you to offer the source for *immediate*
> distribution, and to *continue* to honour your offer to provide it for a
> minimum period of three years after first publication of the binary.

Re: Good GUI debugger for MinGW? -Try Netbeans!

Emanuel Falkenauer
Apologies for the late reply, Chris - I was out of the Internet.

The references look great, many thanks!! I'll try them asap and report my experience.

All the best,

Emanuel

On 05-Apr-15 12:38, Chris wrote:
[...]

Thanks everyone for the replies. Most helpful.

I try to stear clear of Eclipse and Netbeans because of prior, bad,
experiences. In fairness they both seem very good when they're working.
Problems I've had occur when things go wrong and/or setting them up the
way I want to work. I've spent much frustrated time
with Eclipse trying to sort paths and issues related to macros and
'variables' that seem to be defined in various hard to find and hard to
remember dialogues. In fact I had an issue with Eclipse today that cost
me several hours to fix and why re-booting the PC mostly resolved the
problem I've no idea.

On the other hand as I'm using Eclipse in work (Ti's Code Composer
Studio 5) I did try Eclipse and so far it's work well with MinGW. The
only issue I have had is that stdout output from printf and the like
only appear in the console window if followed by a flush(stdio);. Is
this an issue with all debuggers and MinGW or just an Eclipse issue?

I'll give QT Creator a go. The fact that it's multiplatform and actively
maintained seems good to me and I've come across others recomending it.

Thanks again everyone,
John

On 04/04/2015 12:19, Matt D. wrote:

> On 4/3/2015 20:32, John Pote wrote:
>> I recently had a bug that took a lot of edit, add printfs, compile, run
>> loops before I tracked it down. (forgot to set a flag). This was all
>> done from a Windows command prompt window and would have been a lot
>> quicker if I'd had a good debugger. Any suggestions for a good GUI based
>> debugger to work with the MinGW compiler would be much appreciated.
> Hi!
>
> I can definitely recommend Qt Creator:
> http://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-debugging.html
> http://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-debugger-engines.html
>
> Despite the name, it also works great for standard (read: non-Qt) C++
> applications, it's cross-platform (Linux, OS X, Windows), has a growing
> community, and is currently under active development resulting in a lot
> of new features (supports MinGW/GCC, Clang (with support for its static
> analyzer as well as using its engine for auto-completion), finally -- in
> addition to MinGW -- it also supports MSVC under Windows).
> Recent updates:
> http://blog.qt.io/blog/2015/03/05/qt-creator-3-4-beta1-released/
>
> Tutorials:
> http://web.stanford.edu/class/cs106b/qtcreator/DebuggingWithQtCreator.pdf
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UsWtyhXh4
> http://web.stanford.edu/class/cs106b/qtcreator/qtcreator.html
>
> "Getting Started Debugging on Linux" talk by Bruce Dawson is also quite
> informative:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTmAknUbpB0
>
> Example:
> http://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-debugging-example.html
>
> Best,
>
> Matt

Re: Good GUI debugger for MinGW?

Mauricio Gomes
Hi,

Take a look at CodeBlocks (www.codeblocks.org).
I like to use IDEs that are made in the same language I program.

Good luck.
Mau.

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 6:48 PM, John Pote <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> addition to MinGW -- it also supports MSVC under Windows).
> Recent updates:
> http://blog.qt.io/blog/2015/03/05/qt-creator-3-4-beta1-released/
>
> Tutorials:
> http://web.stanford.edu/class/cs106b/qtcreator/DebuggingWithQtCreator.pdf
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UsWtyhXh4
> http://web.stanford.edu/class/cs106b/qtcreator/qtcreator.html
>
> "Getting Started Debugging on Linux" talk by Bruce Dawson is also quite
> informative:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTmAknUbpB0
>
> Example:
> http://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-debugging-example.html
>
> Best,
>
> Matt

We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

I am curious, what bad experience did you have with Netbeans? I agree about Eclipse though, it is often hard to setup and easy to break. At least the last time I gave up on it about three years ago it was.

With Netbeans output is sent to the console as it is written, no need for a flush when debugging with gdb, perhaps you are buffering the output?

Another IDE I have used well is kdevelop. but as you specified windows kdevelop is not a real option, getting KDE apps to run on windows natively is painful.

Chris

On 11/04/2015 7:18 AM, John Pote wrote:
[...]

Graeme

On 4/10/2015 6:12 PM, Mauricio Gomes wrote:
Hi,

Take a look at CodeBlocks (www.codeblocks.org).
I like to use IDEs that are made in the same language I program.

Good luck.
Mau.
For me codeblocks + gdb works fine for plain C but in C++ how do you look at the char data inside for example a std vector of std strings?

12