GDB and LoadLibrary

Kalith

Hi,

I have a problem with GDB and the Win32 API function LoadLibrary.
Maybe one of you knows what can be the cause of this problem...
I've been searching for days now, and I'm going nowhere.

I have a small test DLL, compiled from this source code :

#include <gl/gl.h>
#include <windows.h>

void __declspec(dllexport) SomeFunction()
{
    glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);
}

BOOL WINAPI DllMain(HINSTANCE hinstDLL, DWORD fdwReason, LPVOID lpvReserved)
{
    return TRUE;
}

... created using the following commands :
mingw32-g++.exe -g -c DLLmain.cpp -o DLLmain_d.o
mingw32-g++.exe -shared -Wl,--dll DLLmain_d.o -o myDLL_d.dll -lOPENGL32

Then, I load it inside another test program :

#include <windows.h>
#include <iostream>

int main(int argN, char** args)
{
    HMODULE mhInst = LoadLibrary("myDLL_d");

    if (!mhInst)
    {
        std::cout << "## problem : " << GetLastError() << std::endl;
        return 1;
    }

    return 0;
}

... which is compiled using :
mingw32-g++.exe -g -c main.cpp -o main.o
mingw32-g++.exe main.o -o test_d.exe

Then I run gdb :
gdb test_d.exe
> run

... and the program prints : ## problem : 6.

Error code 6 stands for "Invalid handle", according to MSDN.

This problem only arises if the main program is ran through GDB,
and only if the test DLL is also linked to another DLL
(no matter which one : opengl32, d3d9, gdi32 or another test DLL I made).

I'm using a fresh MinGW distribution (4.5.2) and GDB 7.2,
but I used to experience this problem with G++ 4.4 and GDB 6.8 as well...

Do you know what can cause this kind of problem ?
I'm almost sure everything is fine with this example,
so it must be something related to my system, but what ?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
Kal.

Re: GDB and LoadLibrary

Nathan Schulte-2
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 5:41 PM, Kalith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do you know what can cause this kind of problem ?
> I'm almost sure everything is fine with this example,
> so it must be something related to my system, but what ?
As a first guess, I would conjecture that this is an error in use; of
glClear.  In your example, you are using an OpenGL method outside of a
valid OpenGL context; this is a no-no, as all OpenGL calls can only be
done in the presence of a OpenGL context.  In other words, it's likely
everything is working properly.

Try creating an OpenGL Context before calling somefunction and see if it works.

> Kal.
-Nate

Re: GDB and LoadLibrary

Kalith

Nathan Schulte wrote:

> As a first guess, I would conjecture that this is an error in use; of
> glClear.  In your example, you are using an OpenGL method outside of a
> valid OpenGL context; this is a no-no, as all OpenGL calls can only be
> done in the presence of a OpenGL context.

Thanks for answering !

As you can see from the code I posted, the dummy function never gets
called. I've put an openGL call in there just so the DLL depends on
opengl32.dll, that's all.

I've done further tests, and simplified the problem even more. The
following code produces the exact same error than the one of my first
post.

-------------------------
#include <windows.h>
#include <iostream>

int main(int argN, char** args)
{
    HMODULE mhInst mhInst = LoadLibrary("opengl32");

    if (!mhInst)
    {
        std::cout << "## problem : " << GetLastError() << std::endl;
        return 1;
    }

    return 0;
}
-------------------------

Maybe you can try this small program on your own computer ?
Unfortunately, I don't have another one at my disposal, else I
would have done the test by myself.

Again, this program works perfectly, but only fails while ran through
GDB.

My opengl32.dll has version 5.1.2600.2180 and is dated from 2004.
I've done the test with many other DLLs. Most of them work fine :
ddraw.dll, kernel32.dll, dinput8.dll, dsound.dll
... but few of them don't, such as :
d3d9.dll, d3d8.dll, glu32.dll, cryptext.dll

Re: GDB and LoadLibrary

Keith Marshall
> I've done further tests, and simplified the problem even more. The
> following code produces the exact same error than the one of my first
> post.
>
> -------------------------
> #include <windows.h>
> #include <iostream>
>
> int main(int argN, char** args)
> {
>    HMODULE mhInst mhInst = LoadLibrary("opengl32");
>
>    if (!mhInst)
>    {
>        std::cout << "## problem : " << GetLastError() << std::endl;
>        return 1;
>    }
>
>    return 0;
> }
> -------------------------
>
> Maybe you can try this small program on your own computer ?

As written, this will not even compile!  After correcting the obvious
error, and compiling thus:

  $ g++ -g -O0 foo.cpp

it runs fine for me, both directly from the MSYS command line, and when
run within gdb-7.2

FWIW:

  $ g++ --version
  g++.exe (GCC) 4.5.0

  $ gdb --version
  GNU gdb (GDB) 7.2
  This GDB was configured as "mingw32".

and my opengl32.dll is version 6.0.6000.16386 dated 2-Nov-2006

Re: GDB and LoadLibrary

Kalith

keithmarshall wrote:

> As written, this will not even compile!

Yes, sorry for that. My test program is full of comments that I
removed for the sake of the example and I haven't been much
careful in the process...

keithmarshall wrote:
> After correcting the obvious
> error, and compiling thus:
>
>   $ g++ -g -O0 foo.cpp
>
> it runs fine for me, both directly from the MSYS command line, and when
> run within gdb-7.2

Thanks for trying !
I tried the exact same command, and still have this problem, so there
is definitely something wrong with my system. Do you have any idea of
what can go wrong ?

keithmarshall wrote:

> This GDB was configured as "mingw32".

I haven't done anything like that, though. Is this a pre-compiling step ?
I grabbed the version from mingw-get, but nothing more.

keithmarshall wrote:

> and my opengl32.dll is version 6.0.6000.16386 dated 2-Nov-2006

This appears to be a Windows Vista or Seven DLL. Tried it, but it seems
to be incompatible with my system (XP).
The DLL I have is identical to the one you can find on the internet with
the same version number, so I guess it is not the root of the problem.

Well, thanks again for your help, both of you. I'm affraid I'm going closer
and closer to a full system wipe out... Wish I wouldn't come to that !

Re: GDB and LoadLibrary

Nathan Schulte-2
On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 7:37 AM, Kalith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As you can see from the code I posted, the dummy function never gets
> called. I've put an openGL call in there just so the DLL depends on
> opengl32.dll, that's all.

Doh!  I've been playing with OpenGL a lot lately, so I immediately saw
that "mistake" and jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Kalith wrote:
> I've done further tests, and simplified the problem even more. The
> following code produces the exact same error than the one of my first
> post.
> Maybe you can try this small program on your own computer ?
> Unfortunately, I don't have another one at my disposal, else I
> would have done the test by myself.

I've only got a Windows machine at my home, so I won't be able to give
this a shot there until this evening.  I do, however, have access to
Windows XP machines at school, so I'll give this a shot there to give
you another data point.

-Nate

Re: GDB and LoadLibrary

Keith Marshall-2
On 20/01/11 17:11, Kalith wrote:
> keithmarshall wrote:
>> >
>> >  This GDB was configured as "mingw32".
>> >
> I haven't done anything like that, though. Is this a pre-compiling step ?

Only for the package maintainer, (and I am not he).

> I grabbed the version from mingw-get, but nothing more.

So, if you run `gdb --version', as I did, you should see the same.

> keithmarshall wrote:
>> >
>> >  and my opengl32.dll is version 6.0.6000.16386 dated 2-Nov-2006
>> >
> This appears to be a Windows Vista or Seven DLL.

Well, the box I tried it on runs Vista.

> Tried it, but it seems to be incompatible with my system (XP).

I used to have a virtual XP host set up on my Ubuntu-8.04-LTS box, but I
upgraded that to LinuxMint-10, just a few weeks ago, and I have not yet
gotten around to migrating the VirtualBox.  If you are still having
problems when I do get around to that, I could try it again for you, but
I have no urgent need of that for my own use.

Re: GDB and LoadLibrary

Ross Ridge
Kalith writes:
> std::cout << "## problem : " << GetLastError() << std::endl;

That won't work as GetLastError() might be called after std::cout does
I/O and changes its value.  (The invalid handle error you saw is a typical
phantom error status.)  To get a meaningful error code you need to do
something like:

        DWORD err = GetLastError();
        std::cout << "## problem : " << err << std::endl;

Or just:

        printf("## problem : %ld\n", GetLastError());

As for your actual problem, it's the sort of thing I'd use Sysinternals'
Process Monitor (procmon) to figure out what's going on.

                                        Ross Ridge

Re: GDB and LoadLibrary

Kalith

Keith Marshall-2 wrote:

> So, if you run `gdb --version', as I did, you should see the same.

You're right, mine is configured for mingw32 as well.

Keith Marshall-2 wrote:

> I used to have a virtual XP host set up on my Ubuntu-8.04-LTS box, but I
> upgraded that to LinuxMint-10, just a few weeks ago, and I have not yet
> gotten around to migrating the VirtualBox.  If you are still having
> problems when I do get around to that, I could try it again for you, but
> I have no urgent need of that for my own use.

I understand perfectly. Thank you!

Nathan Schulte wrote:

> I've only got a Windows machine at my home, so I won't be able to give
> this a shot there until this evening.  I do, however, have access to
> Windows XP machines at school, so I'll give this a shot there to give
> you another data point.

That's very kind of you! Even though I'm quite sure the code will run fine
on your machine(s), it never hurts to try.

Ross Ridge wrote:

> That won't work as GetLastError() might be called after std::cout does
> I/O and changes its value.  (The invalid handle error you saw is a typical
> phantom error status.)  To get a meaningful error code you need to do
> something like: ...

That's right. I used to work with a Log(...) function (which resulted in the
same error being printed), but I did as you suggested, just in case, and
still
got the same error.

Ross Ridge wrote:

> As for your actual problem, it's the sort of thing I'd use Sysinternals'
> Process Monitor (procmon) to figure out what's going on.

I'll give it a try and report back there. Thanks for the tip!

Re: GDB and LoadLibrary

Nathan Schulte-2
On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 1:29 PM, Nathan Schulte <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've only got a Windows machine at my home, so I won't be able to give
> this a shot there until this evening.  I do, however, have access to
> Windows XP machines at school, so I'll give this a shot there to give
> you another data point.

I've run the test on the machines running Windows XP at my school; it
appears to run fine in gdb.

$ g++ --version
g++.exe (GCC) 4.5.2

$ gdb --version
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.2
This GDB was configured as "mingw32".

$ cat test.cc
#include <windows.h>
#include <iostream>

int main(int argN, char** args)
{
    HMODULE mhInst = LoadLibrary("opengl32");

    if (!mhInst)
    {
        std::cout << "## problem : " << GetLastError() << std::endl;
        return 1;
    }

    return 0;
}

$ g++ -g -O0 test.cc

$ ./a.exe

$ gdb a.exe
Reading symbols from C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\home\nmschulte/a.exe...done.
(gdb) run
Starting program: C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\home\nmschulte/a.exe
[New Thread 2204.0x514]
warning: [P89C T514 PrnTrack.dll Pharos::ExitProcessHandler]
warning: [P89C T514 PrnTrack.dll Pharos::`anonymous-namespace'::BasicInit]

Program exited normally.
(gdb) quit

Ignore the warnings (and possibly the thread creation), as they are
not relevant.

My opengl32.dll shows "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-0845)" for the "File
Version" property.  The 080413-0845 appears to be a build date, as the
file attributes shows a modification date of "Monday, April 14, 2008,
4:42:04 AM", and a creation date of "Tuesday, August 03, 2004,
11:56:46 PM".

I can test this at home if you like, but it appears that Ross
Ridge<[hidden email]> has pointed out a serious flaw that
may be the cause of your problem.

-Nate

Re: GDB and LoadLibrary

Kalith

Nathan Schulte wrote:

> I've run the test on the machines running Windows XP at my school; it
> appears to run fine in gdb.

Thank you! There is no doubt, something is wrong on my machine...

Nathan Schulte wrote:

> I can test this at home if you like, but it appears that Ross
> Ridge<[hidden email]> has pointed out a serious flaw that
> may be the cause of your problem.

Wish it was... See my previous post.

I followed his second advice and investigated the problem with
Sysinternals Process Monitor. To shrink down the amount of
information, I placed two break points : just before and just after
the LoadLibrary call.

According to it, my test program opens the opengl32.dll that is in :
    C:\Windows\system32\opengl32.dll

... then a bunch of other dlls, namely (in chronological order) :
     advapi32, rpcrt4, gdi32, user32, glu32, ddraw, dciman32

When these are loaded as well, the test program then goes into
Windows' registry, reads and writes some values (related to DDraw,
amongst others), then the process returns to the main executable,
and nothing more!

Most of all the actions between the two break points are flagged with
"SUCCESS". Some of them report "NAME NOT FOUND" (when searching
for DLLs in the executable folder for example, or entries that do not
exist in the registry) or "BUFFER OVERFLOW" (on every
"QueryAllInformationFile"), but nothing serious I guess.

The behavior is the same, regardless of the DLL I try to load.
Of course, the additional dlls are different, as are the registry calls.
But in the end, the program always returns in the main() without any
complaint.

That was a good idea though!

Thank you all for your help so far.

Re: GDB and LoadLibrary

Kalith

I tried to cross-compile my test program from Ubuntu using
MinGW G++ 4.2.1 and still get the very same error when
debugging on my Windows machine.

Debugging on Ubuntu with wine and GDB works fine though.

I just don't get it. It's either a faulty DLL or something wrong
in the registry (at least something of that taste).
My best luck would be to re-install Windows, but what if this
problem comes back one day ? *Sigh*

Re: GDB and LoadLibrary

Kalith

Problem solved!

Somebody told me it actually comes from Antivir, my antivirus software...
I re-installed Windows for nothing, in the mean time :@

Thank you very much for your support anyway.

Sincerely,
Kalith.

Re: GDB and LoadLibrary

d3x0r
try giving the full name of the library.  (including extension)

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 4:45 AM, Kalith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Problem solved!
>
> Somebody told me it actually comes from Antivir, my antivirus software...
> I re-installed Windows for nothing, in the mean time :@
>
> Thank you very much for your support anyway.
>
> Sincerely,
> Kalith.

Re: GDB and LoadLibrary

Kalith

d3x0r wrote:

> try giving the full name of the library.  (including extension)

I don't know if it could have solved the problem, and acutally I can't
test it anymore. Antivir has been updated and the issue seems to be
gone, at last :)
Thank you anyway !