Quantcast

GCC-4.9.3 is now our current release

1234

GCC-4.9.3 is now our current release

Keith Marshall
Folks,

Many (perhaps even most) of you may already be aware that I published
GCC-4.9.3 as our current GCC release, last Saturday.  You may install,
or upgrade, using mingw-get, (either from the GUI, or from the command
line), after first updating its catalogue, or, if you prefer to manage
your installation manually, the requisite files may be found here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Base/gcc/Version4/gcc-4.9.3-1/

Please be advised that this is a verbatim copy of the crossed-native
build which I originally published as "experimental", in August 2015.
It is NOT OpenMP enabled, (because I have not been able to create a
_reliable_ build of POSIX threads support, to accompany it), and, for
those of you who use Ada, there is no DLL build of the supporting
runtime library, (because none was built by the GCC build machinery,
when running my GNU/Linux hosted mingw32-gcc-4.9.3 cross-compiler).

Please also be advised that, since I no longer use Windows myself, I
have very limited experience using this build in its native state; (I
have been using the corresponding cross-compiler for some time, with no
problems, and I know some of you have been using the experimental build
without reporting any issue).  I have taken the decision to publish this
now, on the basis that no problem reports from users of the experimental
build has to be better than annoying reminders about:
https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/bugs/2108/

Re: GCC-4.9.3 is now our current release

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Keith Marshall <[hidden email]>
> Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 11:35:13 +0000
>
> Many (perhaps even most) of you may already be aware that I published
> GCC-4.9.3 as our current GCC release, last Saturday.  You may install,
> or upgrade, using mingw-get, (either from the GUI, or from the command
> line), after first updating its catalogue, or, if you prefer to manage
> your installation manually, the requisite files may be found here:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Base/gcc/Version4/gcc-4.9.3-1/
>
> Please be advised that this is a verbatim copy of the crossed-native
> build which I originally published as "experimental", in August 2015.
> It is NOT OpenMP enabled, (because I have not been able to create a
> _reliable_ build of POSIX threads support, to accompany it), and, for
> those of you who use Ada, there is no DLL build of the supporting
> runtime library, (because none was built by the GCC build machinery,
> when running my GNU/Linux hosted mingw32-gcc-4.9.3 cross-compiler).
>
> Please also be advised that, since I no longer use Windows myself, I
> have very limited experience using this build in its native state; (I
> have been using the corresponding cross-compiler for some time, with no
> problems, and I know some of you have been using the experimental build
> without reporting any issue).  I have taken the decision to publish this
> now, on the basis that no problem reports from users of the experimental
> build has to be better than annoying reminders about:
> https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/bugs/2108/

Thanks!

FWIW, I'm using this on one of my development machines for the last 2
months, and had absolutely no problems with it.  Caveat: I only used
the C compiler since then, not even C++.

Re: GCC-4.9.3 is now our current release

Roger Wells
On 02/24/2016 12:46 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Keith Marshall <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 11:35:13 +0000
>>
>> Many (perhaps even most) of you may already be aware that I published
>> GCC-4.9.3 as our current GCC release, last Saturday.  You may install,
>> or upgrade, using mingw-get, (either from the GUI, or from the command
>> line), after first updating its catalogue, or, if you prefer to manage
>> your installation manually, the requisite files may be found here:
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Base/gcc/Version4/gcc-4.9.3-1/
>>
>> Please be advised that this is a verbatim copy of the crossed-native
>> build which I originally published as "experimental", in August 2015.
>> It is NOT OpenMP enabled, (because I have not been able to create a
>> _reliable_ build of POSIX threads support, to accompany it), and, for
>> those of you who use Ada, there is no DLL build of the supporting
>> runtime library, (because none was built by the GCC build machinery,
>> when running my GNU/Linux hosted mingw32-gcc-4.9.3 cross-compiler).
>>
>> Please also be advised that, since I no longer use Windows myself, I
>> have very limited experience using this build in its native state; (I
>> have been using the corresponding cross-compiler for some time, with no
>> problems, and I know some of you have been using the experimental build
>> without reporting any issue).  I have taken the decision to publish this
>> now, on the basis that no problem reports from users of the experimental
>> build has to be better than annoying reminders about:
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/bugs/2108/
>
> Thanks!
>
> FWIW, I'm using this on one of my development machines for the last 2
> months, and had absolutely no problems with it.  Caveat: I only used
> the C compiler since then, not even C++.

Thanks.
I followed the link and installed, including pthreads.
However after installation there is no "pthread.h"
(The pthread dll's are there in the bin directory)
did I miss something?

--
Roger Wells, P.E.
leidos

On 02/26/2016 11:02 AM, Roger Wells wrote:

> On 02/24/2016 12:46 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> From: Keith Marshall <[hidden email]>
>>> Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 11:35:13 +0000
>>>
>>> Many (perhaps even most) of you may already be aware that I published
>>> GCC-4.9.3 as our current GCC release, last Saturday.  You may install,
>>> or upgrade, using mingw-get, (either from the GUI, or from the command
>>> line), after first updating its catalogue, or, if you prefer to manage
>>> your installation manually, the requisite files may be found here:
>>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Base/gcc/Version4/gcc-4.9.3-1/
>>>
>>> Please be advised that this is a verbatim copy of the crossed-native
>>> build which I originally published as "experimental", in August 2015.
>>> It is NOT OpenMP enabled, (because I have not been able to create a
>>> _reliable_ build of POSIX threads support, to accompany it), and, for
>>> those of you who use Ada, there is no DLL build of the supporting
>>> runtime library, (because none was built by the GCC build machinery,
>>> when running my GNU/Linux hosted mingw32-gcc-4.9.3 cross-compiler).
>>>
>>> Please also be advised that, since I no longer use Windows myself, I
>>> have very limited experience using this build in its native state; (I
>>> have been using the corresponding cross-compiler for some time, with no
>>> problems, and I know some of you have been using the experimental build
>>> without reporting any issue).  I have taken the decision to publish this
>>> now, on the basis that no problem reports from users of the experimental
>>> build has to be better than annoying reminders about:
>>> https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/bugs/2108/
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> FWIW, I'm using this on one of my development machines for the last 2
>> months, and had absolutely no problems with it.  Caveat: I only used
>> the C compiler since then, not even C++.

>> [hidden email]
>>
>> This list observes the Etiquette found at
>> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
>> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

> Thanks.
> I followed the link and installed, including pthreads.
> However after installation there is no "pthread.h"
> (The pthread dll's are there in the bin directory)
> did I miss something?

never mind, I think I figured it out.
sorry for the noise

--
Roger Wells, P.E.
leidos

Re: GCC-4.9.3 is now our current release

Roger Wells
On 02/24/2016 12:46 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Keith Marshall <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 11:35:13 +0000
>>
>> Many (perhaps even most) of you may already be aware that I published
>> GCC-4.9.3 as our current GCC release, last Saturday.  You may install,
>> or upgrade, using mingw-get, (either from the GUI, or from the command
>> line), after first updating its catalogue, or, if you prefer to manage
>> your installation manually, the requisite files may be found here:
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Base/gcc/Version4/gcc-4.9.3-1/
>>
>> Please be advised that this is a verbatim copy of the crossed-native
>> build which I originally published as "experimental", in August 2015.
>> It is NOT OpenMP enabled, (because I have not been able to create a
>> _reliable_ build of POSIX threads support, to accompany it), and, for
>> those of you who use Ada, there is no DLL build of the supporting
>> runtime library, (because none was built by the GCC build machinery,
>> when running my GNU/Linux hosted mingw32-gcc-4.9.3 cross-compiler).
>>
>> Please also be advised that, since I no longer use Windows myself, I
>> have very limited experience using this build in its native state; (I
>> have been using the corresponding cross-compiler for some time, with no
>> problems, and I know some of you have been using the experimental build
>> without reporting any issue).  I have taken the decision to publish this
>> now, on the basis that no problem reports from users of the experimental
>> build has to be better than annoying reminders about:
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/bugs/2108/
>
> Thanks!
>
> FWIW, I'm using this on one of my development machines for the last 2
> months, and had absolutely no problems with it.  Caveat: I only used
> the C compiler since then, not even C++.

Do you use pthreads?  Even this fails to compile (tstest.c):

#include <pthread.h>

int main (int argc, char **argv)
{
    return 0;
}

$ gcc -c tstest.c
In file included from tstest.c:1:0:
c:\mingw\include\pthread.h:320:8: error: redefinition of 'struct timespec'
 struct timespec {
        ^
In file included from c:\mingw\include\time.h:53:0,
                 from c:\mingw\include\pthread.h:219,
                 from tstest.c:1:
c:\mingw\include\parts\time.h:105:8: note: originally defined here
 struct timespec
        ^

GCC version:
$ gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=C:\MinGW\bin\gcc.exe
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=c:/mingw/bin/../libexec/gcc/mingw32/4.9.3/lto-wrapper.exe
Target: mingw32
Configured with: ../src/gcc-4.9.3/configure --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
--host=mingw32 --prefix=/mingw --disable-win32-registry --target=mingw32
--with-arch=i586 --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,obj-c++,fortran,ada
--enable-static --enable-shared --enable-threads --with-dwarf2
--disable-sjlj-exceptions --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs
--enable-libstdcxx-debug --with-tune=generic --enable-nls
Thread model: win32
gcc version 4.9.3 (GCC)

I sure hope that this is my fault and someone can tell what I am doing
wrong.

Thanks,
Roger Wells

Roger Wells, P.E.
leidos
221 Third St
Newport, RI 02840
401-847-4210 (voice)
401-849-1585 (fax)

Re: GCC-4.9.3 is now our current release

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Roger Wells <[hidden email]>
> Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 10:22:23 -0500
>
> Do you use pthreads?  Even this fails to compile (tstest.c):
>
> #include <pthread.h>
>
> int main (int argc, char **argv)
> {
>     return 0;
> }
>
> $ gcc -c tstest.c
> In file included from tstest.c:1:0:
> c:\mingw\include\pthread.h:320:8: error: redefinition of 'struct timespec'
>  struct timespec {
>         ^
> In file included from c:\mingw\include\time.h:53:0,
>                  from c:\mingw\include\pthread.h:219,
>                  from tstest.c:1:
> c:\mingw\include\parts\time.h:105:8: note: originally defined here
>  struct timespec
>         ^

This has nothing to do with the compiler, this is a (known) problem
with MinGW headers, for which a solution was published a while ago (I
think).

On 29/02/16 15:22, Roger Wells wrote:
> Do you use pthreads?  Even this fails to compile (tstest.c):

Perhaps you didn't read the announcement carefully enough?

>> It is NOT OpenMP enabled, (because I have not been able to create a
>> _reliable_ build of POSIX threads support, to accompany it), ...

Note, in particular, the explanation in parentheses.

> $ gcc -c tstest.c
> In file included from tstest.c:1:0:
> c:\mingw\include\pthread.h:320:8: error: redefinition of 'struct timespec'
>  struct timespec {
>         ^
> In file included from c:\mingw\include\time.h:53:0,

This is a bug in pthreads-win32, about which I have recently engaged in
a continuing discussion with Ross Johnston, (the pthreads-win32, a.k.a
pthreads4W, maintainer).  See, since mingwrt-3.21, MinGW _has_ provided
a definition of struct timespec, but pthreads-win32 continues to
gratuitously assume that it does not.  You need to fix your pthread.h,
to correct that bogus assumption.  Indeed, it's just plain wrong for
pthread.h to define this structure anyway; POSIX says it should be
defined in sched.h, (which is also part of the pthreads-win32 package),
to match the definition provided in time.h

On 29/02/16 16:11, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Roger Wells <[hidden email]>
>> $ gcc -c tstest.c
>> In file included from tstest.c:1:0:
>> c:\mingw\include\pthread.h:320:8: error: redefinition of 'struct timespec'
>>  struct timespec {
>>         ^
>> In file included from c:\mingw\include\time.h:53:0,
>>                  from c:\mingw\include\pthread.h:219,
>>                  from tstest.c:1:
>> c:\mingw\include\parts\time.h:105:8: note: originally defined here
>>  struct timespec
>>         ^
>
> This has nothing to do with the compiler, this is a (known) problem
> with MinGW headers, for which a solution was published a while ago (I
> think).
Uhm ... no.  It's a problem with the pthreads-win32 headers, and it will
persist until we get it fixed upstream, as I hope my currently ongoing
discussion with Ross Johnston will achieve; (see my earlier posting, of
just a few moments ago).

On 02/29/2016 11:23 AM, Keith Marshall wrote:
> On 29/02/16 15:22, Roger Wells wrote:
>> Do you use pthreads?  Even this fails to compile (tstest.c):
>
> Perhaps you didn't read the announcement carefully enough?

Oh, I caught that, I was just hoping that "reliable" gave some hope that
this one might work.

>>> It is NOT OpenMP enabled, (because I have not been able to create a
>>> _reliable_ build of POSIX threads support, to accompany it), ...
>
> Note, in particular, the explanation in parentheses.
>
>> $ gcc -c tstest.c
>> In file included from tstest.c:1:0:
>> c:\mingw\include\pthread.h:320:8: error: redefinition of 'struct timespec'
>>  struct timespec {
>>         ^
>> In file included from c:\mingw\include\time.h:53:0,
>
> This is a bug in pthreads-win32, about which I have recently engaged in
> a continuing discussion with Ross Johnston, (the pthreads-win32, a.k.a
> pthreads4W, maintainer).  See, since mingwrt-3.21, MinGW _has_ provided
> a definition of struct timespec, but pthreads-win32 continues to
> gratuitously assume that it does not.  You need to fix your pthread.h,
> to correct that bogus assumption.  Indeed, it's just plain wrong for
> pthread.h to define this structure anyway; POSIX says it should be
> defined in sched.h, (which is also part of the pthreads-win32 package),
> to match the definition provided in time.h

I will attempt to fix the pthread.h as you suggest and let you know.

Thanks for responding.
Roger Wells

Roger Wells, P.E.
leidos
221 Third St
Newport, RI 02840
401-847-4210 (voice)
401-849-1585 (fax)

On 02/29/2016 11:53 AM, Roger Wells wrote:

> On 02/29/2016 11:23 AM, Keith Marshall wrote:
>> On 29/02/16 15:22, Roger Wells wrote:
>>> Do you use pthreads?  Even this fails to compile (tstest.c):
>>
>> Perhaps you didn't read the announcement carefully enough?
>
> Oh, I caught that, I was just hoping that "reliable" gave some hope that
> this one might work.

>> Note, in particular, the explanation in parentheses.
>>
>>> $ gcc -c tstest.c
>>> In file included from tstest.c:1:0:
>>> c:\mingw\include\pthread.h:320:8: error: redefinition of 'struct timespec'
>>>  struct timespec {
>>>         ^
>>> In file included from c:\mingw\include\time.h:53:0,
>>
>> This is a bug in pthreads-win32, about which I have recently engaged in
>> a continuing discussion with Ross Johnston, (the pthreads-win32, a.k.a
>> pthreads4W, maintainer).  See, since mingwrt-3.21, MinGW _has_ provided
>> a definition of struct timespec, but pthreads-win32 continues to
>> gratuitously assume that it does not.  You need to fix your pthread.h,
>> to correct that bogus assumption.  Indeed, it's just plain wrong for
>> pthread.h to define this structure anyway; POSIX says it should be
>> defined in sched.h, (which is also part of the pthreads-win32 package),
>> to match the definition provided in time.h
>
> I will attempt to fix the pthread.h as you suggest and let you know.
>
> Thanks for responding.
> Roger Wells

Eliminated the timespec definition in pthread.h.
Works fine now
Thanks again
rkw

>> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=272487151&iu=/4140

>> [hidden email]
>>
>> This list observes the Etiquette found at
>> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
>> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

Roger Wells, P.E.
leidos
221 Third St
Newport, RI 02840
401-847-4210 (voice)
401-849-1585 (fax)

Re: GCC-4.9.3 is now our current release

revelator
If you are interrested, i just uploaded a full build of gcc-5.3.0-dwarf2
that does not depend on winpthreads.
Libgomp and libstdc++ was linked statically to winpthreads  and gcc was
patched to exclude the pthreads library from inclusion, so it only
depends on windows libraries.
It was built against mingwrt-3.21.1 and w32api-3.17.2.

It did need some patching to get around the fact that the latest gcc
releases are targeted more at the mingw-w64 runtime, and some bugs that
where discovered later like the static __EH_FRAME__ bug that caused the
builds to fail even on mingw-w64.

Btw no gcc release after gcc-5.0.0 seem to be able to build against
pthreads-w32 not even if fixing the double definition of timespec in
pthread.h.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cbadvanced/files/MinGW%20Builds/mingw-gcc-5.3.0.tar.xz/download

you are welcome to put it in the contributed section.

Regards Ralph Engels

Re: GCC-4.9.3 is now our current release

Eli Zaretskii
> From: ralph engels <[hidden email]>
> Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 10:04:08 +0100
>
> If you are interrested, i just uploaded a full build of gcc-5.3.0-dwarf2
> that does not depend on winpthreads.
> Libgomp and libstdc++ was linked statically to winpthreads  and gcc was
> patched to exclude the pthreads library from inclusion, so it only
> depends on windows libraries.
> It was built against mingwrt-3.21.1 and w32api-3.17.2.

Thanks, but why are the archives so large?  What exactly is in those
archives?

Re: GCC-4.9.3 is now our current release

revelator
Only gcc fortran gnat objc objc++.

Not sure why the builds get this large, they where done at -O2
optimization so pretty standard.

Scan the archive if uncertain, i dont make a habit of including
malicious software with my builds but better safe than sorry.

Den 03-03-2016 kl. 21:31 skrev Eli Zaretskii:

>> From: ralph engels <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 10:04:08 +0100
>>
>> If you are interrested, i just uploaded a full build of gcc-5.3.0-dwarf2
>> that does not depend on winpthreads.
>> Libgomp and libstdc++ was linked statically to winpthreads  and gcc was
>> patched to exclude the pthreads library from inclusion, so it only
>> depends on windows libraries.
>> It was built against mingwrt-3.21.1 and w32api-3.17.2.
> Thanks, but why are the archives so large?  What exactly is in those
> archives?

Re: GCC-4.9.3 is now our current release

revelator
I built the documentation in both html and pdf format, that might
explain the size come to think of it.

Den 03-03-2016 kl. 21:31 skrev Eli Zaretskii:

>> From: ralph engels <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 10:04:08 +0100
>>
>> If you are interrested, i just uploaded a full build of gcc-5.3.0-dwarf2
>> that does not depend on winpthreads.
>> Libgomp and libstdc++ was linked statically to winpthreads  and gcc was
>> patched to exclude the pthreads library from inclusion, so it only
>> depends on windows libraries.
>> It was built against mingwrt-3.21.1 and w32api-3.17.2.
> Thanks, but why are the archives so large?  What exactly is in those
> archives?

Re: GCC-4.9.3 is now our current release

> From: ralph engels <[hidden email]>
> Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 01:58:55 +0100
>
> Only gcc fortran gnat objc objc++.

(Only tangential to this thread, but: what are gcc-ar.exe, gcc-nm.exe,
and the rest of the programs that shadow the corresponding Binutils
programs?  Why are they needed?)

> Not sure why the builds get this large, they where done at -O2
> optimization so pretty standard.

Crystal ball says your executables and DLLs are not stripped.  They
are huge: hundreds of MBs each, which is probably due to DWARF2 debug
info.  Did you say "make install" or "make install-strip"?  You should
do the latter for binaries you distribute, IMO.

Also, there's HTML documentation of libstdc++, which wasn't part of
the MinGW packaging.  But these should perhaps be welcome, given that
no equivalent Info manuals are available.

A minor gripe is that your file names all start with "mingw/".  I
think you should exclude that prefix, and make the archive be rooted
at the root of the MinGW tree, so that people who have the MinGW tree
rooted elsewhere will not need to employ tricky optional switches of
the unpack program to install the package on their systems.  For
example, my MinGW tree is rooted at d:/usr, and there's no
d:/usr/mingw, so I cannot just unpack your archive, I need to instruct
bsdtar to skip the leading "mingw/" component.

> Scan the archive if uncertain, i dont make a habit of including
> malicious software with my builds but better safe than sorry.

I didn't want to imply that the archive is fat due to a virus.

Thanks.

Re: GCC-4.9.3 is now our current release

> From: ralph engels <[hidden email]>
> Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 02:11:51 +0100
>
> I built the documentation in both html and pdf format, that might
> explain the size come to think of it.

I doubt this is the reason: those PDF files are relatively small and
only a few.  Like I said: I think it's because your executables
include the debug info.

Re: GCC-4.9.3 is now our current release

revelator
Ah yes stripping was disabled, ok so now we know why the size was a bit
huge.

As for the archive i made a mistake when packing it up the mingw folder
is just the output from my build script and i packed that up instead of
the content.

Even if i did not pack it up with any malicious content i allways scan
my archives :) its just a rule of thumb with me.
I would be rather sorry to hear if someone picked up something nasty
from one of my archives.
Then again some antivirus scanners are rather liberal in what they see
as malicious code and throw false warnings on anything thats not signed
and stamped by microsoft even if its just a compiler.

I can pack it up again but to strip the executables i would most likely
have to do a rebuild, thats not a problem but it will take a little time.

Den 04-03-2016 kl. 10:16 skrev Eli Zaretskii:
>> From: ralph engels <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 02:11:51 +0100
>>
>> I built the documentation in both html and pdf format, that might
>> explain the size come to think of it.
> I doubt this is the reason: those PDF files are relatively small and
> only a few.  Like I said: I think it's because your executables
> include the debug info.

Re: GCC-4.9.3 is now our current release

Eli Zaretskii
> Cc: [hidden email]
> From: ralph engels <[hidden email]>
> Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 15:59:46 +0100
>
> I can pack it up again but to strip the executables i would most likely
> have to do a rebuild

Really?  Isn't just saying something like

  make install-strip prefix=/some/newly/created/directory

enough to have all the stuff installed in that directory, from which
you can then produce an archive?

> thats not a problem but it will take a little time.

If you can afford the effort, I think it would help stripping the
executables and excluding the leading mingw/ from the directory
structure.

Thanks.

Re: GCC-4.9.3 is now our current release

revelator
Ok rebuilt the gcc-5.3.0 compiler now stripped and with doc builds as
html and pdf.
Its much smaller now so stripping was the culprit.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cbadvanced/files/MinGW%20Builds/mingw-gcc-5.3.0.tar.lzma/download

If you want i can also provide builds of the latest binutils-2.25.1 with
gold support for crosscompiling.

All builds have been done in the msys2 shell because of better support
for some tools like miktex,
thats also the reason i can provide doc builds as pdf or if needed other
postscript formats.

Ill see if i can make mgwbld package's for the builds.

Den 04-03-2016 kl. 10:16 skrev Eli Zaretskii:
>> From: ralph engels <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 02:11:51 +0100
>>
>> I built the documentation in both html and pdf format, that might
>> explain the size come to think of it.
> I doubt this is the reason: those PDF files are relatively small and
> only a few.  Like I said: I think it's because your executables
> include the debug info.

Re: GCC-4.9.3 is now our current release

Eli Zaretskii
> Cc: [hidden email]
> From: ralph engels <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 12:32:07 +0100
>
> Ok rebuilt the gcc-5.3.0 compiler now stripped and with doc builds as
> html and pdf.
> Its much smaller now so stripping was the culprit.
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/cbadvanced/files/MinGW%20Builds/mingw-gcc-5.3.0.tar.lzma/download

Thanks!

> If you want i can also provide builds of the latest binutils-2.25.1 with
> gold support for crosscompiling.

The latest Binutils version is 2.26.

Anyway, I build my Binutils myself, so I personally don't need this,
but I'm sure having binaries for the latest release will help many
users.

1234