Quantcast

GCC 4.4.0 - libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll missing

John Brown

Hello All,

I installed GCC 4.4.0 by extracting:

gcc-core-4.4.0-mingw32-bin.tar.gz
gcc-c++-4.4.0-mingw32-bin.tar.gz
gcc-c++-4.4.0-mingw32-dll.tar
gmp-4.2.4-mingw32-dll.tar.gz
mpfr-2.4.1-mingw32-dll.tar.gz
pthreads-w32-2.8.0-mingw32-dll.tar.gz
mingwrt-3.15.2-mingw32-dev.tar.gz
w32api-3.13-mingw32-dev.tar.gz

My simple 'hello world' C++ app (g++ -o hello hello.cpp)
complained that libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll was missing. I found it in the 'full' package, but surely it should be in one
of the above?

Regards,
Alias John Brown.

2) Thread hijacking

Re: GCC 4.4.0 - libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll missing

Aaron W. LaFramboise
John Brown wrote:

> I installed GCC 4.4.0 by extracting:
>
> gcc-core-4.4.0-mingw32-bin.tar.gz
> gcc-c++-4.4.0-mingw32-bin.tar.gz
> gcc-c++-4.4.0-mingw32-dll.tar
> gmp-4.2.4-mingw32-dll.tar.gz
> mpfr-2.4.1-mingw32-dll.tar.gz
> pthreads-w32-2.8.0-mingw32-dll.tar.gz
> mingwrt-3.15.2-mingw32-dev.tar.gz
> mingwrt-3.15.2-mingw32-dev.tar.gz
> w32api-3.13-mingw32-dev.tar.gz
>
> My simple 'hello world' C++ app (g++ -o hello hello.cpp)
> complained that libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll was missing. I found it in the 'full' package, but surely it should be in one
> of the above?

The file you're missing is packaged in gcc-core-4.4.0-mingw32-dll.tar.gz.

However, the number of packages required is fairly atrocious, and is
only going to be worse in 4.4.1.  I'll try to improve the release notes
to clarify this issue.  Hopefully by then the default installer will be
using 4.4.

I'm sorry that you had problems, but thank you for your report. :)

Aaron W. LaFramboise wrote:

> John Brown wrote:
>
>> I installed GCC 4.4.0 by extracting:
>>
>> gcc-core-4.4.0-mingw32-bin.tar.gz
>> gcc-c++-4.4.0-mingw32-bin.tar.gz
>> gcc-c++-4.4.0-mingw32-dll.tar
>> gmp-4.2.4-mingw32-dll.tar.gz
>> mpfr-2.4.1-mingw32-dll.tar.gz
>> pthreads-w32-2.8.0-mingw32-dll.tar.gz
>> mingwrt-3.15.2-mingw32-dev.tar.gz
>> mingwrt-3.15.2-mingw32-dev.tar.gz
>> w32api-3.13-mingw32-dev.tar.gz
>>
>> My simple 'hello world' C++ app (g++ -o hello hello.cpp)
>> complained that libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll was missing. I found it in the 'full' package, but surely it should be in one
>> of the above?
>
> The file you're missing is packaged in gcc-core-4.4.0-mingw32-dll.tar.gz.
>
> However, the number of packages required is fairly atrocious,

Indeed. I did not even notice that file. Sorry for the noise.

>and is
> only going to be worse in 4.4.1. I'll try to improve the release notes
> to clarify this issue. Hopefully by then the default installer will be
> using 4.4.

Some of these packages contain only DLLs. Do they have to be
separate packages?

Regards,
Alias John Brown.

2) Thread hijacking

Re: GCC 4.4.0 - libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll missing

Charles Wilson-2
John Brown wrote:
> Some of these packages contain only DLLs. Do they have to be
> separate packages?

This is a feature, not a bug.  When you compile an application, in some
cases it will require some of those DLLs at runtime.  By packaging the
DLLs into their own packages, you can more easily manage the process of
distributing an operational version of your application to your users;
they don't need all of the compiler binaries just to run you app -- they
only need your application and (one or more) of those smaller DLL packages.

--
Chuck

Charles Wilson wrote:

> John Brown wrote:
>> Some of these packages contain only DLLs. Do they have to be
>> separate packages?
>
> This is a feature, not a bug.  When you compile an application, in some
> cases it will require some of those DLLs at runtime.  By packaging the
> DLLs into their own packages, you can more easily manage the process of
> distributing an operational version of your application to your users;
> they don't need all of the compiler binaries just to run you app -- they
> only need your application and (one or more) of those smaller DLL packages.

If there are enough complaints about this, and if there no evidence that
anyone is using our site to download individual DLLs in individual
packages, it might be worth rethinking this decision.

There are some hypothetical plans to create a MinGW.org package manager
of some sort which would be able to benefit from the individual
packaging: If one MinGW component depended on a GCC DLL but not on the
GCC executables, it would not be necessary to fetch the entire package.
  However, presently, no firm plans for such a manager exist, and no
such packages exist.

It's also possible that it may be acceptable to duplicate the DLLs in
the -bins.

Community input on this issue is always welcome.

Aaron W. LaFramboise wrote:
> There are some hypothetical plans to create a MinGW.org package manager
> of some sort which would be able to benefit from the individual
> packaging: If one MinGW component depended on a GCC DLL but not on the
> GCC executables, it would not be necessary to fetch the entire package.
>   However, presently, no firm plans for such a manager exist,

I dunno about that.  Keith just said last week he was working [*] on
mingw-get (also known as the TDM installer)

http://mingw.cvs.sourceforge.net/mingw/mingw-get/

According to the Wiki
(http://www.mingw.org/wiki/Official_CVS_Repository) mingw-get is "a
prototype for the new "synaptic-like" MinGW package installer; the code
base is currently in an embryonic state, and the maintainer is not yet
accepting patches; however, comments on features are welcomed."

[*] I'm sure it's a background, as-time-allows activity, so don't get
your hopes up for an immediate release...

> and no
> such packages exist.

Not on the mingw side, no.  But on the msys side, they will...

> It's also possible that it may be acceptable to duplicate the DLLs in
> the -bins.

Putting duplicate versions of the same file into multiple downloadable
packages will make the job of any package manager hopeless.  Please
don't go there...

Charles Wilson wrote:
> Aaron W. LaFramboise wrote:
>> There are some hypothetical plans to create a MinGW.org package manager
>>   However, presently, no firm plans for such a manager exist,

> I dunno about that.  Keith just said last week he was working [*] on
> mingw-get (also known as the TDM installer)

This is pretty cool.  I'll admit I don't play too close attention to
these issues when they're being discussed, because most of the time
they're a lot of words without any work.  But I'm glad Keith (and John)
are working on this, as we're long overdue for a real package solution.

>> such packages exist.
>
> Not on the mingw side, no.  But on the msys side, they will...

Will any of these packages depend on MinGW DLLs?  I'm thinking the
answer is 'no,' but I'm not sure.  I understand that MSYS will become
much grander and more sophisticated than it is now, but perhaps MinGW
might still stay simple.

By the way, if it isn't obvious, I don't use MSYS much.  I have nothing
against it; I just don't use it.  It's mainly just that I haven't been
able to figure out any features that MSYS offers that Cygwin doesn't,
and release versions of MSYS have historically always had bugs that
prevented me from using it for serious work.

>> It's also possible that it may be acceptable to duplicate the DLLs in
>> the -bins.
>
> Putting duplicate versions of the same file into multiple downloadable
> packages will make the job of any package manager hopeless.  Please
> don't go there...

I'm not convinced its really that big of a deal, if the files are
duplicates.  Surely this is a feature that most mature and modern
package managers have.  However, most package repositories don't have
the degree of granularity that people seem to want for MinGW.

2) Thread hijacking

Re: GCC 4.4.0 - libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll missing

groovyd
I have an app that i built using mingw gcc to access the serial ports under windows and i am having the same problem of this missing .dll.  Up until recently I had always been able to just use the app .exe directly on any computer and it worked but now it seems i need to also distribute a .dll with the app?  since i do not have an installer i would much prefer it just linking this into the exe if possible.  If anyone knows how to do this using eclipse ide and gcc please let me know what options i need to set up.

To me the old way seems to be the better way as there was no need to carry around more then just the exe.

Would it fix this problem if i just removed mingw from my path and used cygwin compiler chain instead?  I already have cygwin installed with the gcc compiler.  I still do not understand the difference between the compiler tools that come with cygwin vs mingw.