Fwd: [Mingw-w64-public] building gcc

12

Fwd: [Mingw-w64-public] building gcc

whitequill

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bj Raz <whitequill.bj@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 10:40 PM
Subject: Re: [Mingw-w64-public] building gcc
To: JonY <[hidden email]>

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 9:46 PM, JonY <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 7/4/2011 08:49, Bj Raz wrote:

>>> /tools/x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld cannot find dllcrt2.o: No such file
>>> or directory
>>> /tools/x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld cannot find crtbegin.o: No such file
>>> or directory
>>> /tools/x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld cannot find crtend.o: No such file or
>> directory
>>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>> make[2]: *** [libgcc_s.dll] Error 1
>>> make[1]: *** [all-target-libgcc] Error 2
>>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>>> can someone please either send me to the right list, or tell me what I
>>> should do.
>>>

>> You are missing the CRT, see mingw-w64-crt.
>>
> and yes, I didn't have the crt for mingw, I looked all over for it, and that
> was the only one I could find. :-/

See the svn repo. You need stage 1 gcc to build it, aka after make
install-gcc.

>>> my configure options are as follows:
>>>
>>> libtool --finish /tools/libexec/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/x.x.x/
>>> AR=x86_64-w64-mingw32-ar RANLIB=x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib \
>>> ../gcc-4.5.1/configure --prefix=/tools \
>>> --with-local-prefix=/tools --enable-clocale=gnu \
>>> --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix \
>>> --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-languages=c,c++ \
>>> --disable-libstdcxx-pch --disable-multilib \
>>> --disable-bootstrap --disable-libgomp \
>>> --without-ppl --without-cloog --build=x86_64-suse-linux-gnu
>>> --host=x86_64-suse-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-w64-mingw32
>>>

>> You'd run into problems setting AR and RANLIB like that, let autotools
>> do its job.
>>
> If you don't I'm pretty sure it will set the host RANLIB, and AR, bye
> default which I don't want.
> I want it to use the ones I just built in phase 1.

No, using host tools is correct, you aren't building a win64 hosted gcc
on Linux. Why do you want to use mingw target binutils when building for
Linux??
Cause I'm not building for linux, I'm building so i can have better Windows utilities, cause I can't get a Linux distro that will run on my hardware. Its too new! So I'm making one...
And there isn't a book anywhere that says, "This is how you build a Linux distro from scratch for super uber new hardware. LOOK AT ME!" and I've been interested in this for a while, so I decided to tackle it.

So the long term goal is:
1. build utilities for windows.
2. build another cross system on Windows to build a Linux system.
3. build the final linux system on a Windows host, cause I can't install a Linux host on my hardware.
4. install linux on my computer. :)

Yes its completely messed up, but I want to try. lol
I may not really need step 2 cause VMs are getting pretty close to the hardware now-a-days.

>> Posix thread isn't for the faint hearted, you need to bootstrap
>> winpthread dll with libgcc, but DLLs can't be built without libgcc. I
>> suggest you remove --enable-threads=posix unless you have some special
>> needs, let gcc use the more tested win32 threads.
>>
>> You are also missing essential options like
>> --enable-fully-dynamic-strings and --enable-sjlj-exceptions, you are
>>
> what does "--enable-fully dynamic-strings" do, as well as
> "--enable-sjij=exceptions"?

This disables lazy string init, this is required for libstdc++ DLL to
work properly, but it changes ABI. The latter uses SJLJ exception
handler, as the other type, dw2, doesn't work on win64.
Thank you for the explanation I did not know any of that.

Re: Fwd: [Mingw-w64-public] building gcc

JonY-3
On 7/4/2011 14:58, Bj Raz wrote:

Please trim plaint text email addresses.

>>> If you don't I'm pretty sure it will set the host RANLIB, and AR, bye
>>> default which I don't want.
>>> I want it to use the ones I just built in phase 1.
>>>

>> No, using host tools is correct, you aren't building a win64 hosted gcc
>> on Linux. Why do you want to use mingw target binutils when building for
>> Linux??
>
> Cause I'm not building for linux, I'm building so i can have better Windows
> utilities, cause I can't get a Linux distro that will run on my hardware.
> Its too new! So I'm making one...
Yes you are, --host=x86_64-suse-linux-gnu. Try Debian (or any minimalist
distro for that matter), it runs fine under 256MB RAM without any fancy GUI.

> And there isn't a book anywhere that says, "This is how you build a Linux
> distro from scratch for super uber new hardware. LOOK AT ME!" and I've been
> interested in this for a while, so I decided to tackle it.

I don't understand what hardware has to do with mingw-w64 or GCC, I have
Debian and GCC running on my phone, I'm sure its far inferior to any
desktop/laptop machine these days.

> So the long term goal is:
> 1. build utilities for windows.
> 2. build another cross system on Windows to build a Linux system.
> 3. build the final linux system on a Windows host, cause I can't install a
> Linux host on my hardware.
> 4. install linux on my computer. :)
>
> Yes its completely messed up, but I want to try. lol
> I may not really need step 2 cause VMs are getting pretty close to the
> hardware now-a-days.

You don't cross windows over to Linux unless you're a masochist, you'll
need at least Cygwin or Interix (not MSYS) to deal with case sensitivity
found in GLIBC.

0xED74C077.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Fwd: [Mingw-w64-public] building gcc

Charles Wilson-2
On 7/4/2011 2:58 AM, Bj Raz wrote:
> And there isn't a book anywhere that says, "This is how you build a Linux
> distro from scratch for super uber new hardware. LOOK AT ME!"

Yes there is:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

> So the long term goal is:
> 1. build utilities for windows.
> 2. build another cross system on Windows to build a Linux system.
> 3. build the final linux system on a Windows host, cause I can't install a
> Linux host on my hardware.
> 4. install linux on my computer. :)
>
> Yes its completely messed up, but I want to try. lol
> I may not really need step 2 cause VMs are getting pretty close to the
> hardware now-a-days.

Unfortunately, to do this you need to use a posix hosting environment
for your cross compiler -- like cygwin or interix -- as JonY mentioned.
 One of the downsides of cygwin is that configuring/compiling software
is EXTREMELY SLOW compared to doing the same task, on the same hardware,
under linux.   Like...10 times slower.

When a full build-world of a linux distribution might take a solid week,
UNDER linux, you're looking at two months of nonstop 24/7 compiling
under cygwin.

Do it the Linux From Scratch way, you'll be happier.

--
Chuck

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Charles Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 7/4/2011 2:58 AM, Bj Raz wrote:
> And there isn't a book anywhere that says, "This is how you build a Linux
> distro from scratch for super uber new hardware. LOOK AT ME!"

Yes there is:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

> So the long term goal is:
> 1. build utilities for windows.
> 2. build another cross system on Windows to build a Linux system.
> 3. build the final linux system on a Windows host, cause I can't install a
> Linux host on my hardware.
> 4. install linux on my computer. :)
>
> Yes its completely messed up, but I want to try. lol
> I may not really need step 2 cause VMs are getting pretty close to the
> hardware now-a-days.

Unfortunately, to do this you need to use a posix hosting environment
for your cross compiler -- like cygwin or interix -- as JonY mentioned.
 One of the downsides of cygwin is that configuring/compiling software
is EXTREMELY SLOW compared to doing the same task, on the same hardware,
under linux.   Like...10 times slower.

When a full build-world of a linux distribution might take a solid week,
UNDER linux, you're looking at two months of nonstop 24/7 compiling
under cygwin.

Do it the Linux From Scratch way, you'll be happier.

--
Chuck

One problem I find myself having is that when building the system even if told where ranlib is, it can never find it.
I can't figure that out.

On 7/4/2011 2:58 AM, Bj Raz wrote:
> And there isn't a book anywhere that says, "This is how you build a Linux
> distro from scratch for super uber new hardware. LOOK AT ME!"

Yes there is:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

> So the long term goal is:
> 1. build utilities for windows.
> 2. build another cross system on Windows to build a Linux system.
> 3. build the final linux system on a Windows host, cause I can't install a
> Linux host on my hardware.
> 4. install linux on my computer. :)
>
> Yes its completely messed up, but I want to try. lol
> I may not really need step 2 cause VMs are getting pretty close to the
> hardware now-a-days.

Unfortunately, to do this you need to use a posix hosting environment
for your cross compiler -- like cygwin or interix -- as JonY mentioned.
 One of the downsides of cygwin is that configuring/compiling software
is EXTREMELY SLOW compared to doing the same task, on the same hardware,
under linux.   Like...10 times slower.

When a full build-world of a linux distribution might take a solid week,
UNDER linux, you're looking at two months of nonstop 24/7 compiling
under cygwin.

Do it the Linux From Scratch way, you'll be happier.

--
Chuck
Thank you for the input Chuck. Do you have any ideas of what good build flags would work best, or I should or shouldn't be using, for gcc stage 1.

On 7/4/2011 2:58 AM, Bj Raz wrote:
> And there isn't a book anywhere that says, "This is how you build a Linux
> distro from scratch for super uber new hardware. LOOK AT ME!"

Yes there is:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

> So the long term goal is:
> 1. build utilities for windows.
> 2. build another cross system on Windows to build a Linux system.
> 3. build the final linux system on a Windows host, cause I can't install a
> Linux host on my hardware.
> 4. install linux on my computer. :)
>
> Yes its completely messed up, but I want to try. lol
> I may not really need step 2 cause VMs are getting pretty close to the
> hardware now-a-days.

Unfortunately, to do this you need to use a posix hosting environment
for your cross compiler -- like cygwin or interix -- as JonY mentioned.
 One of the downsides of cygwin is that configuring/compiling software
is EXTREMELY SLOW compared to doing the same task, on the same hardware,
under linux.   Like...10 times slower.

When a full build-world of a linux distribution might take a solid week,
UNDER linux, you're looking at two months of nonstop 24/7 compiling
under cygwin.

Do it the Linux From Scratch way, you'll be happier.

--
Chuck

After I make install the crt I get this error:
/bin/shh: line 5 x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib: command not found
make[2]: *** [install-lib64LIBRARIES] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/lfs/build.mingw-crt'
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving direcotry `home/lfs/build.mingw-crt'
make *** [install] Error 2

I can't figure out why. But this always happens.

Re: Fwd: [Mingw-w64-public] building gcc

Kai Tietz-2
Well,

this can have different reasons.  First could be that you didn't
installed binutils for x86_64-w64-mingw32 target. Second point could
be that you missed to setup PATH environment variable so that the
folder <prefix>/bin is included.

Regards,
Kai

2011/7/4 Bj Raz <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Charles Wilson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 7/4/2011 2:58 AM, Bj Raz wrote:
>> > And there isn't a book anywhere that says, "This is how you build a
>> > Linux
>> > distro from scratch for super uber new hardware. LOOK AT ME!"
>>
>> Yes there is:
>> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
>>
>> > So the long term goal is:
>> > 1. build utilities for windows.
>> > 2. build another cross system on Windows to build a Linux system.
>> > 3. build the final linux system on a Windows host, cause I can't install
>> > Linux host on my hardware.
>> > 4. install linux on my computer. :)
>> >
>> > Yes its completely messed up, but I want to try. lol
>> > I may not really need step 2 cause VMs are getting pretty close to the
>> > hardware now-a-days.
>>
>> Unfortunately, to do this you need to use a posix hosting environment
>> for your cross compiler -- like cygwin or interix -- as JonY mentioned.
>>  One of the downsides of cygwin is that configuring/compiling software
>> is EXTREMELY SLOW compared to doing the same task, on the same hardware,
>> under linux.   Like...10 times slower.
>>
>> When a full build-world of a linux distribution might take a solid week,
>> UNDER linux, you're looking at two months of nonstop 24/7 compiling
>> under cygwin.
>>
>> Do it the Linux From Scratch way, you'll be happier.
>>
>> --
>> Chuck
>>
> After I make install the crt I get this error:
> /bin/shh: line 5 x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib: command not found
> make[2]: *** [install-lib64LIBRARIES] Error 127
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/lfs/build.mingw-crt'
> make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving direcotry `home/lfs/build.mingw-crt'
> make *** [install] Error 2
> I can't figure out why. But this always happens.

>> [hidden email]
>>
>> This list observes the Etiquette found at
>> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
>> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list
>> etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette
> may cause your account to be moderated.

|  (\_/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
| (='.'=) Bunny into your signature to help
| (")_(") him gain world domination

Re: Fwd: [Mingw-w64-public] building gcc

Antoni Jaume
After I make install the crt I get this error:
/bin/shh: line 5 x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib: command not found
make[2]: *** [install-lib64LIBRARIES] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/lfs/build.mingw-crt'
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving direcotry `home/lfs/build.mingw-crt'
make *** [install] Error 2

I can't figure out why. But this always happens.

What does happen is you use ranlib or x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib directly in msys?
In my installation ranlib runs ok with an usage message and x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib complains on lack of a cyggcc_s-1.dll.

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Kai Tietz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well,

this can have different reasons.  First could be that you didn't
installed binutils for x86_64-w64-mingw32 target. Second point could
be that you missed to setup PATH environment variable so that the
folder <prefix>/bin is included.

Regards,
Kai
this is a more complete error:

 /usr/bin/install -c -m 644  lib64/libm.a lib64/libshell32.a lib64/libdinput.a lib64/libdinput8.a lib64/libdmoguids.a lib64/libdxerr8.a lib64/libdxerr9.a lib64/libdxguid.a lib64/libgmon.a lib64/libksuser.a lib64/liblargeint.a lib64/libscrnsave.a lib64/libscrnsavw.a lib64/libstrmiids.a lib64/libmingw32.a lib64/libmingwex.a lib64/libmoldname.a lib64/libmingwthrd.a lib64/libuuid.a lib64/libws2_32.a '/tools/lib'
 ( cd '/tools/lib' && x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib libm.a )
/bin/sh: line 5: x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib: command not found
make[2]: *** [install-lib64LIBRARIES] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/lfs/build.mingw-crt'
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/lfs/build.mingw-crt'
make: *** [install] Error 2

I can't see not having binutils for the target since I just built it several steps back if you've looked over my the script showing how I'm doing this.

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Antoni Jaume <[hidden email]> wrote:
After I make install the crt I get this error:
/bin/shh: line 5 x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib: command not found
make[2]: *** [install-lib64LIBRARIES] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/lfs/build.mingw-crt'
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving direcotry `home/lfs/build.mingw-crt'
make *** [install] Error 2

I can't figure out why. But this always happens.

What does happen is you use ranlib or x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib directly in msys?
In my installation ranlib runs ok with an usage message and x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib complains on lack of a cyggcc_s-1.dll.
I'm not sure what you are getting at since I'm building in Linux, not in a mingw32 environment.

On 7/5/2011 04:39, Antoni Jaume wrote:

>> After I make install the crt I get this error:
>> /bin/shh: line 5 x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib: command not found
>> make[2]: *** [install-lib64LIBRARIES] Error 127
>> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/lfs/build.mingw-crt'
>> make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
>> make[1]: Leaving direcotry `home/lfs/build.mingw-crt'
>> make *** [install] Error 2
>>
>> I can't figure out why. But this always happens.
>>

> What does happen is you use ranlib or x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib directly in
> msys?
> In my installation ranlib runs ok with an usage message and
> x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib
> complains on lack of a cyggcc_s-1.dll.

No, this is PEBKAC, why are you using Cygwin programs in MSYS?

In fact, there should not be such errors, as that ranlib is installed
into Cygwin bindir, right beside cyggcc_s-1.dll.

On 7/5/2011 07:19, Bj Raz wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Kai Tietz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Well,
>>
>> this can have different reasons.  First could be that you didn't
>> installed binutils for x86_64-w64-mingw32 target. Second point could
>> be that you missed to setup PATH environment variable so that the
>> folder <prefix>/bin is included.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Kai
>>
> this is a more complete error:
>
>  /usr/bin/install -c -m 644  lib64/libm.a lib64/libshell32.a
> lib64/libdinput.a lib64/libdinput8.a lib64/libdmoguids.a lib64/libdxerr8.a
> lib64/libdxerr9.a lib64/libdxguid.a lib64/libgmon.a lib64/libksuser.a
> lib64/liblargeint.a lib64/libscrnsave.a lib64/libscrnsavw.a
> lib64/libstrmiids.a lib64/libmingw32.a lib64/libmingwex.a
> lib64/libmoldname.a lib64/libmingwthrd.a lib64/libuuid.a lib64/libws2_32.a
> '/tools/lib'
>  ( cd '/tools/lib' && x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib libm.a )
> /bin/sh: line 5: x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib: command not found
> make[2]: *** [install-lib64LIBRARIES] Error 127
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/lfs/build.mingw-crt'
> make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/lfs/build.mingw-crt'
> make: *** [install] Error 2
>
> I can't see not having binutils for the target since I just built it several
> steps back if you've looked over my the script showing how I'm doing this.

You forgot to set PATH, if you've compiled it and installed it to a
non-standard directory, eg /tools, you can't run it without giving a
full path to the executable, that is until you fix up your PATH environment.

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 9:01 PM, JonY <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 7/5/2011 07:19, Bj Raz wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Kai Tietz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Well,
>>
>> this can have different reasons.  First could be that you didn't
>> installed binutils for x86_64-w64-mingw32 target. Second point could
>> be that you missed to setup PATH environment variable so that the
>> folder <prefix>/bin is included.
My path is set to:
"/tools/bin/:/bin/:usr/bin" just like it says to in the LFS book.
and what about cygwin... I'm not using it!
I'm using Suse Linux 11 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu) as my host environment and there shouldn't be anything that has anything to do with cyg-anything.
and my target is: x86_64-w64-mingw32.

I don't know where you are getting the idea I'm using Cygwin. :-/

On 7/5/2011 07:19, Bj Raz wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Kai Tietz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Well,
>>
>> this can have different reasons.  First could be that you didn't
>> installed binutils for x86_64-w64-mingw32 target. Second point could
>> be that you missed to setup PATH environment variable so that the
>> folder <prefix>/bin is included.
My path is set to:
*correction* "/tools/bin/:/bin/:/usr/bin" just like it says to in the LFS book.
and what about cygwin... I'm not using it!
I'm using Suse Linux 11 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu) as my host environment and there shouldn't be anything that has anything to do with cyg-anything.
and my target is: x86_64-w64-mingw32.

I don't know where you are getting the idea I'm using Cygwin. :-/

>> Regards,
>> Kai
>>
> this is a more complete error:
>
>  /usr/bin/install -c -m 644  lib64/libm.a lib64/libshell32.a
> lib64/libdinput.a lib64/libdinput8.a lib64/libdmoguids.a lib64/libdxerr8.a
> lib64/libdxerr9.a lib64/libdxguid.a lib64/libgmon.a lib64/libksuser.a
> lib64/liblargeint.a lib64/libscrnsave.a lib64/libscrnsavw.a
> lib64/libstrmiids.a lib64/libmingw32.a lib64/libmingwex.a
> lib64/libmoldname.a lib64/libmingwthrd.a lib64/libuuid.a lib64/libws2_32.a
> '/tools/lib'
>  ( cd '/tools/lib' && x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib libm.a )
> /bin/sh: line 5: x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib: command not found
> make[2]: *** [install-lib64LIBRARIES] Error 127
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/lfs/build.mingw-crt'
> make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/lfs/build.mingw-crt'
> make: *** [install] Error 2
>
> I can't see not having binutils for the target since I just built it several
> steps back if you've looked over my the script showing how I'm doing this.

You forgot to set PATH, if you've compiled it and installed it to a
non-standard directory, eg /tools, you can't run it without giving a
full path to the executable, that is until you fix up your PATH environment.

Re: Fwd: [Mingw-w64-public] building gcc

Kai Tietz-2
So you are using option '--prefix=/tools', right?
Have you build binutils also with using the same prefix? Does the
directory /tools/bin contain x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib exectuable? If
so, does it has executable rights set?
I am curious to see that crt install is installing into /tools/lib
folder.  This is somewhat strange. If you have setup toolchain correct
it should install into /tools/x86_64-w64-mingw32/lib.

Would you mind to end this puzzle by providing to us just the
command-lines for configure of binutils, mingw-w64-header, gcc, and
mingw-w64-crt you have used.  I assume you are using here different
(or wrong options).

Regards,
Kai

On 7/5/2011 15:04, Bj Raz wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 9:01 PM, JonY <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 7/5/2011 07:19, Bj Raz wrote:

> My path is set to:
> "/tools/bin/:/bin/:usr/bin" just like it says to in the LFS book.
> and what about cygwin... I'm not using it!
> I'm using Suse Linux 11 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu) as my host environment and
> there shouldn't be anything that has anything to do with cyg-anything.
> and my target is: x86_64-w64-mingw32.
>
> I don't know where you are getting the idea I'm using Cygwin. :-/

What do you have in /tools/bin?

One would assume you already have a working cross compiler, or some GCC
installed on Windows, when you said:

"""

> Cause I'm not building for linux, I'm building so i can have better Windows
> utilities, cause I can't get a Linux distro that will run on my hardware.
> Its too new! So I'm making one...

"""

I mentioned Cygwin and Interix because mingw-w64 doesn't have any Unix
translation layer to handle filename sensitivity that you will need
later on. mingw-w64 on mingw-w64 hosted GCC is at most a dead end for
you if you want to cross from Windows to Linux.

Please describe clearly what you are planning to achieve, what system
you are running, and how it is related to mingw-w64 clearly.

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 4:03 AM, JonY <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 7/5/2011 15:04, Bj Raz wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 9:01 PM, JonY <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 7/5/2011 07:19, Bj Raz wrote:

> My path is set to:
> "/tools/bin/:/bin/:usr/bin" just like it says to in the LFS book.
> and what about cygwin... I'm not using it!
> I'm using Suse Linux 11 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu) as my host environment and
> there shouldn't be anything that has anything to do with cyg-anything.
> and my target is: x86_64-w64-mingw32.
>
> I don't know where you are getting the idea I'm using Cygwin. :-/

What do you have in /tools/bin?
x86_64-w64-mingw32-addr2line
x86_64-w64-mingw32-ar
x86_64-w64-mingw32-as
x86_64-w64-mingw32-c++filt
x86_64-w64-mingw32-cpp
x86_64-w64-mingw32-dlltool
x86_64-w64-mingw32-dllwrap
x86_64-w64-mingw32-elfedit
x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc
x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc-4.7.0
x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcov
x86_64-w64-mingw32-gprof
x86_64-w64-mingw32-ld
x86_64-w64-mingw32-ld.bfd
x86_64-w64-mingw32-nm
x86_64-w64-mingw32-objcopy
x86_64-w64-mingw32-objdump
x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib
x86_64-w64-mingw32-readelf
x86_64-w64-mingw32-size
x86_64-w64-mingw32-strings
x86_64-w64-mingw32-strip
x86_64-w64-mingw32-windmc
x86_64-w64-mingw32-windres

One would assume you already have a working cross compiler, or some GCC
installed on Windows, when you said:

"""

> Cause I'm not building for linux, I'm building so i can have better Windows
> utilities, cause I can't get a Linux distro that will run on my hardware.
> Its too new! So I'm making one...

"""

I mentioned Cygwin and Interix because mingw-w64 doesn't have any Unix
translation layer to handle filename sensitivity that you will need
later on. mingw-w64 on mingw-w64 hosted GCC is at most a dead end for
you if you want to cross from Windows to Linux.

Please describe clearly what you are planning to achieve, what system
you are running, and how it is related to mingw-w64 clearly.
I figured I'd start to worry about that once I finally have a working compiler built on Windows to cross back to Linux.

For now I'm trying to cross to build for Windows, and if you know how to, I can set flags so what "I" build will be case sensitive, when I finally get to that point.

On 7/5/2011 15:04, Bj Raz wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 9:01 PM, JonY <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 7/5/2011 07:19, Bj Raz wrote:

> My path is set to:
> "/tools/bin/:/bin/:usr/bin" just like it says to in the LFS book.
> and what about cygwin... I'm not using it!
> I'm using Suse Linux 11 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu) as my host environment and
> there shouldn't be anything that has anything to do with cyg-anything.
> and my target is: x86_64-w64-mingw32.
>
> I don't know where you are getting the idea I'm using Cygwin. :-/

What do you have in /tools/bin?
x86_64-w64-mingw32-addr2line
x86_64-w64-mingw32-ar
x86_64-w64-mingw32-as
x86_64-w64-mingw32-c++filt
x86_64-w64-mingw32-cpp
x86_64-w64-mingw32-dlltool
x86_64-w64-mingw32-dllwrap
x86_64-w64-mingw32-elfedit
x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc
x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc-4.7.0
x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcov
x86_64-w64-mingw32-gprof
x86_64-w64-mingw32-ld
x86_64-w64-mingw32-ld.bfd
x86_64-w64-mingw32-nm
x86_64-w64-mingw32-objcopy
x86_64-w64-mingw32-objdump
x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib
x86_64-w64-mingw32-readelf
x86_64-w64-mingw32-size
x86_64-w64-mingw32-strings
x86_64-w64-mingw32-strip
x86_64-w64-mingw32-windmc
x86_64-w64-mingw32-windres

One would assume you already have a working cross compiler, or some GCC
installed on Windows, when you said:

"""

> Cause I'm not building for linux, I'm building so i can have better Windows
> utilities, cause I can't get a Linux distro that will run on my hardware.
> Its too new! So I'm making one...

"""

I mentioned Cygwin and Interix because mingw-w64 doesn't have any Unix
translation layer to handle filename sensitivity that you will need
later on. mingw-w64 on mingw-w64 hosted GCC is at most a dead end for
you if you want to cross from Windows to Linux.

Please describe clearly what you are planning to achieve, what system
you are running, and how it is related to mingw-w64 clearly.
I figured I'd start to worry about that once I finally have a working compiler built on Windows to cross back to Linux.

For now I'm trying to cross to build for Windows, and if you know how to, I can set flags so what "I" build will be case sensitive, when I finally get to that point.

Here is a file with my tree.
This is up to before I install crt

tools.txt (37K) Download Attachment

On 7/5/2011 15:04, Bj Raz wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 9:01 PM, JonY <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 7/5/2011 07:19, Bj Raz wrote:

> My path is set to:
> "/tools/bin/:/bin/:usr/bin" just like it says to in the LFS book.
> and what about cygwin... I'm not using it!
> I'm using Suse Linux 11 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu) as my host environment and
> there shouldn't be anything that has anything to do with cyg-anything.
> and my target is: x86_64-w64-mingw32.
>
> I don't know where you are getting the idea I'm using Cygwin. :-/

What do you have in /tools/bin?
x86_64-w64-mingw32-addr2line
x86_64-w64-mingw32-ar
x86_64-w64-mingw32-as
x86_64-w64-mingw32-c++filt
x86_64-w64-mingw32-cpp
x86_64-w64-mingw32-dlltool
x86_64-w64-mingw32-dllwrap
x86_64-w64-mingw32-elfedit
x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc
x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc-4.7.0
x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcov
x86_64-w64-mingw32-gprof
x86_64-w64-mingw32-ld
x86_64-w64-mingw32-ld.bfd
x86_64-w64-mingw32-nm
x86_64-w64-mingw32-objcopy
x86_64-w64-mingw32-objdump
x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib
x86_64-w64-mingw32-readelf
x86_64-w64-mingw32-size
x86_64-w64-mingw32-strings
x86_64-w64-mingw32-strip
x86_64-w64-mingw32-windmc
x86_64-w64-mingw32-windres

One would assume you already have a working cross compiler, or some GCC
installed on Windows, when you said:

"""

> Cause I'm not building for linux, I'm building so i can have better Windows
> utilities, cause I can't get a Linux distro that will run on my hardware.
> Its too new! So I'm making one...

"""

I mentioned Cygwin and Interix because mingw-w64 doesn't have any Unix
translation layer to handle filename sensitivity that you will need
later on. mingw-w64 on mingw-w64 hosted GCC is at most a dead end for
you if you want to cross from Windows to Linux.

Please describe clearly what you are planning to achieve, what system
you are running, and how it is related to mingw-w64 clearly.
I figured I'd start to worry about that once I finally have a working compiler built on Windows to cross back to Linux.

For now I'm trying to cross to build for Windows, and if you know how to, I can set flags so what "I" build will be case sensitive, when I finally get to that point.

Here is a file with my tree.
This is up to before I install crt
Does anyone think I should install the crt earlier in the process? Like when I build the api I also build the crt.

On 7/5/2011 17:29, Bj Raz wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 5:05 AM, Bj Raz <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-addr2line
>>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-ar
>>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-as
>>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-c++filt
>>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-cpp
>>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-dlltool
>>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-dllwrap
>>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-elfedit
>>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc
>>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc-4.7.0
>>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcov
>>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-gprof
>>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-ld
>>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-ld.bfd
>>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-nm
>>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-objcopy
>>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-objdump
>>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib
>>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-readelf
>>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-size
>>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-strings
>>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-strip
>>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-windmc
>>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-windres

No .exe? Are you on Windows or Linux?

>>> I figured I'd start to worry about that once I finally have a working
>>> compiler built on Windows to cross back to Linux.

In this case, you can't do it the LFS way, afaik, GLIBC requires you to
build it on a case sensitive FS, that leaves out mingw hosted
toolchains, unless you're going to copy debian/ubuntu glibc tarballs for
the glibc components.

You'll still need a way to handle symlinks for .so versions.

>>> For now I'm trying to cross to build for Windows, and if you know how to,
>>> I can set flags so what "I" build will be case sensitive, when I finally get
>>> to that point.

No, FS case sensitivity isn't handled by WIN32 API at all, I don't know
where you get the idea it can be enabled at build time as a flag.

>> This is up to before I install crt
>>
> Does anyone think I should install the crt earlier in the process? Like when
> I build the api I also build the crt.

What API? The CRT should be built after you get a bootstrap GCC. Please
just use the documented process, you don't need to make things so hard.