Does not compile. What could be wrong?

eric948470
Hello,

I'm new to MinGW / MSYS and also new to building software from source.

I tried to build the package djvulibre-3.5.22 from <
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/djvu/djvulibre-3.5.22.tar.gz >

Installation instructions say type './configure' , make, make install
in that order.

'./configure' works.

But when I try 'make', it exits with an error.

The screen output is about a page long and I can't copy it to
clipboard, because right clicking on it does nothing. Is there any way
to print the output to a file?

These are the last two lines of the screen output I get.

make[1]: *** [GThreads.lo] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

What could be wrong?

If I'm asking this question in the wrong place, please point me in the
right direction.

Thanks

Re: Does not compile. What could be wrong?

leo_yasir
If you are using linux the try to do the following to redirect output to a file

./configure > file

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 6:29 PM, eric948470 <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yasir Majeed
Ph.D scholar
Center of Research in Networks and Telecommunication (CoReNeT)
www.corenet.org.pk
Mohammad Ali Jinnah University Islamabad, Pakistan
+923335935382

Re: Does not compile. What could be wrong?

> The screen output is about a page long and I can't copy it to
> clipboard, because right clicking on it does nothing. Is there any way
> to print the output to a file?

make > output.file

> These are the last two lines of the screen output I get.

The *first* errors are usually the most interesting ones.

> What could be wrong?

Is there anything in the instructions that say the software in
question is portable to Windows in the first place? Or that the MinGW
compiler would be supported? (Many important open source projects like
Mozilla and OpenOffice.org use mainly Microsoft's compilers when
building on Windows.)

Re: Does not compile. What could be wrong?

eric948470
Hello,

Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to look at the list of prerequisites. It needs the following
packages

* libjpeg/libtiff
* qt

I will try to compile them first and then try compiling libdjvu again.

They strongly suggest using the g++ compiler with a gcc version higher
than 2.91.66. I have gcc4.4. Regardless of what platform I use, Linux/
MinGW/Cygwin, it only matters what version of gcc I use to compile? Is
it?

Following your advice, I tried "make > out.txt"

Only a part of the output gets printed to the file. The rest gets
printed to the screen. The part printed to the file is,

out.txt------------------------------------------------------------------------

for d in libdjvu tools xmltools  i18n desktopfiles ; \
          do ( cd $d && make all ) || exit ; done
make[1]: Entering directory `/f/Downloads/Software/djvulibre-3.5.22/
libdjvu'
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.. -I. -
DNDEBUG -Wall -O3 -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -mtune=i686  -
DTHREADMODEL=POSIXTHREADS      -c GThreads.cpp
 g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.. -I. -DNDEBUG -Wall -O3 -Wno-non-virtual-dtor
-mtune=i686 -DTHREADMODEL=POSIXTHREADS -c GThreads.cpp  -DDLL_EXPORT -
DPIC -o .libs/GThreads.o
make[1]: Leaving directory `/f/Downloads/Software/djvulibre-3.5.22/
libdjvu'

>From there on, the rest of the output, about a page, gets printed to
the screen. Is there any way to get this part to a file too?

Thanks

On Apr 19, 9:45 am, Tor Lillqvist <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > The screen output is about a page long and I can't copy it to
> > clipboard, because right clicking on it does nothing. Is there any way
> > to print the output to a file?
>
> make > output.file
>
> > These are the last two lines of the screen output I get.
>
> The *first* errors are usually the most interesting ones.
>
> > What could be wrong?
>
> Is there anything in the instructions that say the software in
> question is portable to Windows in the first place? Or that the MinGW
> compiler would be supported? (Many important open source projects like
> Mozilla and OpenOffice.org use mainly Microsoft's compilers when
> building on Windows.)
>
> --tml

Re: Does not compile. What could be wrong?

Tor Lillqvist
> Only a part of the output gets printed to the file. The rest gets
> printed to the screen. The part printed to the file is,

Try redirecting also standard error to the file, with

make >out.txt 2>&1

(Sorry for not saying that the first time.) By the way, this is
exactly as cmd.exe...