Does msys work with the mingw 64-bit version

Does msys work with the mingw 64-bit version

chrs7777
Does it? Also is it possible to build 64 bit libraries with MSYS?  One other thing.  I am using Windows 7 64 bit.  I used to have problems running MSYS on Vista 64 bit.  Does anyone know if I will have similar problems?

Regards
Chris Saunders

Re: Does msys work with the mingw 64-bit version

NightStrike
On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:04 PM, Chris Saunders <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Does it? Also is it possible to build 64 bit libraries with MSYS?  One other
> thing.  I am using Windows 7 64 bit.  I used to have problems running MSYS
> on Vista 64 bit.  Does anyone know if I will have similar problems?

You can cross compile from 32-bit msys to 64-bit windows.

Re: Does msys work with the mingw 64-bit version

Antti Karanta

On Sat, 15 May 2010 06:59:04 +0400, NightStrike
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can cross compile from 32-bit msys to 64-bit windows.

   I've been trying to find info about how to do this but been unsuccessful
this far. Maybe I have just looked in the wrong place. Could you give me
some pointers on how to get further with this? Thanks in advance!

       ::Antti::

Re: Does msys work with the mingw 64-bit version

Earnie Boyd
Antti Karanta wrote:

> On Sat, 15 May 2010 06:59:04 +0400, NightStrike
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> You can cross compile from 32-bit msys to 64-bit windows.
>
>     I've been trying to find info about how to do this but been unsuccessful
> this far. Maybe I have just looked in the wrong place. Could you give me
> some pointers on how to get further with this? Thanks in advance!

It might work, maybe, but I have no idea.  You would need to set the
MSYSTEM variable to MINGW64 for it to have a chance at targeting
mingw64.  But as I said, beyond that I have no idea if it will work.

-- http://www.for-my-kids.com

Re: Does msys work with the mingw 64-bit version

Keith Marshall
On Friday 21 May 2010 22:36:49 Earnie wrote:
> >     I've been trying to find info about how to do this but been
> > unsuccessful this far. Maybe I have just looked in the wrong
> > place. Could you give me some pointers on how to get further
> > with this? Thanks in advance!
>
> It might work, maybe, but I have no idea.  You would need to set
> the MSYSTEM variable to MINGW64 for it to have a chance at
> targeting mingw64.  But as I said, beyond that I have no idea if
> it will work.

No, you would not.

You would use a cross compiler tool chain, hosted on Win32 to produce
object code for Win64; I guess Kai's mingw-w64 project provides such
a tool chain.  Conceptually, it is no different to my use of a cross
mingw32-gcc on GNU/Linux, (where gcc itself produces ELF-32 Linux
objects), to produce code for MinGW.

BTW, Kai's crew need to resolve the dichotomy of their x86_64-mingw32
tool chain producing 64-bit code (as I understand it to do).  mingw32
*should* mean *explicitly* 32-bit code; their tool chain *should* be
classified as x86_64-mingw64.

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Antti Karanta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 May 2010 06:59:04 +0400, NightStrike
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> You can cross compile from 32-bit msys to 64-bit windows.
>
>   I've been trying to find info about how to do this but been unsuccessful
> this far. Maybe I have just looked in the wrong place. Could you give me
> some pointers on how to get further with this? Thanks in advance!

No problem.  First, head over to http://mingw-w64.sf.net/ and start
there.  We provide plenty of toolchains that will run on 32-bit
windows (or anywhere else) and will target win64.  You should probably
use the mingw-w64 sf mailing list, as the off-topic nature of this
question is frowned upon here quite a bit.

Note that there haven't been new automated builds in a bit.  I'm
fixing that.  In the meantime, you'll have your best luck with
sezero's toolchains.  Extract it anywhere, put the bin/ directory in
your path, and use the canonicalized prefixed binaries to do your
compilation.  If you're using an autoconf'd project, this is usually
easily done just by adding --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32 to your configure
line.

Enjoy, good luck, and ask me or on the mingw-w64 mailing list or forum
if you have any questions at all.  We're also avaiable on irc at
irc://irc.oftc.net/#mingw-w64