Could MinGW + MSYS be used to x-compile for Macintosh OSX10 Leopard?

Could MinGW + MSYS be used to x-compile for Macintosh OSX10 Leopard?

Xochitl Lunde

Mingw-Users:

I used two different networks to try the mail list search on http://www.mingw.org, but both searches timed out.  Sorry if this has already been asked.

I know MINGW can be used to build Linux applications such that those applications will run on Windows.  I am wondering if it can be used on Windows to x-compile for the MAC?  Although I personally have a MAC at my disposal, I am the only one in my workgroup who does, so if MINGW could be used, that might be a better solution than buying Macs all around.  Right now I am just investigating options for the Mac port.

The code that we have builds natively on Linux (we use FC8) via makefiles and on Windows via Visual Studio 2008.  I personally have Linux FC8, Windows XP, and OSX10 computers at my desk.

Thank you for your thoughts,

Xochitl Lunde-Monzon
Tripp Lite Software Engineer

Re: Could MinGW + MSYS be used to x-compile for Macintosh OSX10 Leopard?

JonY-2
On 1/28/2009 23:28, Xochitl Lunde wrote:

> Mingw-Users:
>
> I used two different networks to try the mail list search on
> http://www.mingw.org, but both searches timed out.  Sorry if this has
> already been asked.
>
> I know MINGW can be used to build Linux applications such that those
> applications will run on Windows.  I am wondering if it can be used on
> Windows to x-compile for the MAC?  Although I personally have a MAC at my
> disposal, I am the only one in my workgroup who does, so if MINGW could be
> used, that might be a better solution than buying Macs all around.  Right
> now I am just investigating options for the Mac port.
>
> The code that we have builds natively on Linux (we use FC8) via makefiles
> and on Windows via Visual Studio 2008.  I personally have Linux FC8,
> Windows XP, and OSX10 computers at my desk.
>
> Thank you for your thoughts,
>
> Xochitl Lunde-Monzon
> Tripp Lite Software Engineer

Hi,

I assume what you are trying to do is to compile your app so it runs on
the Mac machine. You will need to setup a cross-compiler targeting the
Mac machine running on either the Linux or Windows machine.

Compiling for Macs are unfortunately out of the scope of the MinGW
project, but it is possible to do on Windows.

I'm not too sure how to build a cross-compiler targeting the Mac
platform, but you may find <http://www.sandroid.org/imcross/> to be of
interest.

Quoting Xochitl Lunde <[hidden email]>:

> Mingw-Users:
>
> I used two different networks to try the mail list search on
> http://www.mingw.org, but both searches timed out.  Sorry if this has
> already been asked.
>
> I know MINGW can be used to build Linux applications such that those
> applications will run on Windows.  I am wondering if it can be used on
> Windows to x-compile for the MAC?  Although I personally have a MAC at my
> disposal, I am the only one in my workgroup who does, so if MINGW could be
> used, that might be a better solution than buying Macs all around.  Right
> now I am just investigating options for the Mac port.
>
> The code that we have builds natively on Linux (we use FC8) via makefiles
> and on Windows via Visual Studio 2008.  I personally have Linux FC8,
> Windows XP, and OSX10 computers at my desk.

As long as you follow the steps for building a cross compiler, then
yes.  Google for ``gcc cross compiler'' for hints on how to build the
cross compiler.

Re: Could MinGW + MSYS be used to x-compile for Macintosh OSX10 Leopard?

Chris Wilson-4
Hi Xochitl,

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, Xochitl Lunde wrote:

> I used two different networks to try the mail list search on
> http://www.mingw.org, but both searches timed out.  Sorry if this has
> already been asked.
>
> I know MINGW can be used to build Linux applications such that those
> applications will run on Windows.

I think you misunderstand. MinGW can be used to compile Windows
applications on Windows or Linux. If the application is not designed to
compile and run on Windows then MinGW will not help you. I think that you
are thinking of Cygwin.

Cheers, Chris.
--
_____ __     _
\  __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <0000 at qwirx.com> - Cambs UK |

Re: Could MinGW + MSYS be used to x-compile for Macintosh OSX10 Leopard?

Xochitl Lunde

> I think you misunderstand. MinGW can be used to compile Windows
> applications on Windows or Linux. If the application is not designed to
> compile and run on Windows then MinGW will not help you. I think that you
> are thinking of Cygwin.

Nope, I know that the purpose of MinGW is to build applications for Windows.  I just wondered if it had any 'less-advertised' features for building Linux apps on other operating systems like the Mac OSX or even if it could be installed on Mac OS and do the same thing.  Do you mean that Cygwin can do this?  I avoid Cygwin, as it seems to be the practice to distribute modified versions of the monster which are not compatible with newer versions of Cygwin and also do not allow multiple installations so that a developer can use Cygwin for more than one thing.  I currently have a broken version of Cygwin installed, which is the development environment for some third-party hardware I am working with.  MinGW just feels more 'pure' to me, no offense to Cygwin fans.

xo

Re: Could MinGW + MSYS be used to x-compile for Macintosh OSX10 Leopard?

Earnie Boyd

Quoting Xochitl Lunde <[hidden email]>:

>> I think you misunderstand. MinGW can be used to compile Windows
>> applications on Windows or Linux. If the application is not designed to
>> compile and run on Windows then MinGW will not help you. I think that
> you
>> are thinking of Cygwin.
>>

> Nope, I know that the purpose of MinGW is to build applications for
> Windows.  I just wondered if it had any 'less-advertised' features for
> building Linux apps on other operating systems like the Mac OSX or even if
> it could be installed on Mac OS and do the same thing.  Do you mean that
> Cygwin can do this?  I avoid Cygwin, as it seems to be the practice to
> distribute modified versions of the monster which are not compatible with
> newer versions of Cygwin and also do not allow multiple installations so
> that a developer can use Cygwin for more than one thing.  I currently have
> a broken version of Cygwin installed, which is the development environment
> for some third-party hardware I am working with.  MinGW just feels more
> 'pure' to me, no offense to Cygwin fans.

You can build a GCC cross system that executes on windows to build
applications for Linux, Mac, etc as long as you follow the rules of
building a cross complier.  The caution of doing this is the speed of
which Windows vs Linux executes.  Linux is so much faster that others
feel it foolish to attempt such a cross.  And I wouldn't add Cygwin to
the mix because its emulation will slow the process even more.

Re: Could MinGW + MSYS be used to x-compile for Macintosh OSX10 Leopard?

Alan James Caruana
you can also enable remote login via ssh on the MAC, and have your colleagues log in, and compile directly on the MAC via Makefiles, avoiding the need for a cross-compiler, or for MACs on every desk.