Compiling Samba4

AyvanGo
Is there any chance to compile Samba4 with mingw? I'm looking for some
guide or success story. Dumb actions (autogen.sh && configure&&make)
cause many errors.  I'd like to get libsmbclient at least.

Re: Compiling Samba4

Tim S
AyvanGo wrote:
> Is there any chance to compile Samba4 with mingw? I'm looking for some
> guide or success story. Dumb actions (autogen.sh && configure&&make)
> cause many errors.  I'd like to get libsmbclient at least.

Note: No direct knowledge, just results from Google.

No idea on how to do it; but Seeing how it was done with Samba3 may help.
http://leenux.org.uk/lpackham/smbclient/
Cgywin instead of MinGW was used, but most of the steps to get Cygwin
most likely needs done before it will work with MinGW.

Tim S

Re: Compiling Samba4

Soren Andersen
I'm responding to the message sent on 17 Oct 2008, at around 19:38
UTC, by "Tim Stahlhut" <tim.stahlhut ~at~ OBSCURED dot NUL>, who
wrote

> AyvanGo wrote:
|> Is there any chance to compile Samba4 with mingw? I'm looking
|> for some guide or success story. Dumb actions (autogen.sh &&
|> configure&&make) cause many errors.  I'd like to get
|> libsmbclient at least.

> Note: No direct knowledge, just results from Google.
Results misinterpreted though, as explained below.

> No idea on how to do it; but Seeing how it was done with Samba3
> may help. http://leenux.org.uk/lpackham/smbclient/
> Cgywin instead of MinGW was used, but most of the steps to get
> Cygwin most likely needs done before it will work with MinGW.
Misinterpreted google results because of wrong assumption ("most of
the steps to get Cygwin most likely"... which seems to have meant
"most of the steps to get it working with Cygwin"...).  An example
of relying on what one thinks is one's correct general knowledge
background, when that knowledge is in fact incorrect.

For some reason people very commonly minimize the difference between
MinGW and Cygwin, or don't bother to look into what it really is but
make uneducated guesses about what levels or areas contain those
differences.  I'm sure this will be misinterpreted as a slam against
people who it does not pertain to, but: the mingw user group as a
whole seems to contain a large number of individuals who appear to
think that the only difference between mingw and cygwin is some
"thorny obnoxious GPL license thing".  Kinda sad that this ignorance
is *so* rife. It isn't Keith or Earnie's fault, that's for sure.
Frankly, I blame the users. ;-P

Samba surely involves heavy use of BSD sockets programming (it being
a networking application).  Cygwin has BSD sockets (heh, what do you
know, one of its major reasons for existing).  MinGW does not.
Thus, a networking application that has been successfully built on
Cygwin still needs a complete porting effort to change the *actual
source code* so that it will run using MS winsock sockets. Just as
major an effort as if it had never been 'ported' to Cygwin at all,
but instead only ever built & run on, say, GNU/Linux.

Wanting to help is great. I urge people using the mingw-users list
to try to make sure they actually know correctly what they are
talking about, though, WRT to what Cygwin is, before they cite facts
about it that aren't, make comparisons that aren't, etc.  If you
haven't got your background straight, perhaps keeping your mouth
shut until you've made the time to get the facts straight would be a
better idea?

  Regards,
     Soren 'somian' Andersen

--
Blame it on Caradhras the Cruel.

Re: Compiling Samba4

Tim S
Soren Andersen wrote:

> I'm responding to the message sent on 17 Oct 2008, at around 19:38
> UTC, by "Tim Stahlhut" <tim.stahlhut ~at~ OBSCURED dot NUL>, who
> wrote
>

>> AyvanGo wrote:
>>
> |> Is there any chance to compile Samba4 with mingw? I'm looking
> |> for some guide or success story. Dumb actions (autogen.sh &&
> |> configure&&make) cause many errors.  I'd like to get
> |> libsmbclient at least.
>

>> Note: No direct knowledge, just results from Google.
>>
> Results misinterpreted though, as explained below.
>

>> No idea on how to do it; but Seeing how it was done with Samba3
>> may help. http://leenux.org.uk/lpackham/smbclient/
>> Cgywin instead of MinGW was used, but most of the steps to get
>> Cygwin most likely needs done before it will work with MinGW.
>>
> Misinterpreted google results because of wrong assumption ("most of
> the steps to get Cygwin most likely"... which seems to have meant
> "most of the steps to get it working with Cygwin"...).  An example
> of relying on what one thinks is one's correct general knowledge
> background, when that knowledge is in fact incorrect.
>
> For some reason people very commonly minimize the difference between
> MinGW and Cygwin, or don't bother to look into what it really is but
> make uneducated guesses about what levels or areas contain those
> differences.  I'm sure this will be misinterpreted as a slam against
> people who it does not pertain to, but: the mingw user group as a
> whole seems to contain a large number of individuals who appear to
> think that the only difference between mingw and cygwin is some
> "thorny obnoxious GPL license thing".  Kinda sad that this ignorance
> is *so* rife. It isn't Keith or Earnie's fault, that's for sure.
> Frankly, I blame the users. ;-P
>
> Samba surely involves heavy use of BSD sockets programming (it being
> a networking application).  Cygwin has BSD sockets (heh, what do you
> know, one of its major reasons for existing).  MinGW does not.
> Thus, a networking application that has been successfully built on
> Cygwin still needs a complete porting effort to change the *actual
> source code* so that it will run using MS winsock sockets. Just as
> major an effort as if it had never been 'ported' to Cygwin at all,
> but instead only ever built & run on, say, GNU/Linux.
>
> Wanting to help is great. I urge people using the mingw-users list
> to try to make sure they actually know correctly what they are
> talking about, though, WRT to what Cygwin is, before they cite facts
> about it that aren't, make comparisons that aren't, etc.  If you
> haven't got your background straight, perhaps keeping your mouth
> shut until you've made the time to get the facts straight would be a
> better idea?
>
>   Regards,
>      Soren 'somian' Andersen

Hey, you did nothing to answer the question other than mention BSD
sockets will need porting to MinGW to solve the problem.
So, since you did not answer the question why open your mouth.

Tim S

PS. I have found out from past experience on other programs that looking
at the Cygwin ports when there is no MinGW ports is a good starting point.
But, from what you say we on the MinGW list should never ever think of
not re-inventing the wheel.

Re: Compiling Samba4

Tim S
Soren Andersen wrote:

> I'm responding to the message sent on 17 Oct 2008, at around 19:38
> UTC, by "Tim Stahlhut" <tim.stahlhut ~at~ OBSCURED dot NUL>, who
> wrote
>

>> AyvanGo wrote:
>>
> |> Is there any chance to compile Samba4 with mingw? I'm looking
> |> for some guide or success story. Dumb actions (autogen.sh &&
> |> configure&&make) cause many errors.  I'd like to get
> |> libsmbclient at least.
>

>> Note: No direct knowledge, just results from Google.
>>
> Results misinterpreted though, as explained below.
>

>> No idea on how to do it; but Seeing how it was done with Samba3
>> may help. http://leenux.org.uk/lpackham/smbclient/
>> Cgywin instead of MinGW was used, but most of the steps to get
>> Cygwin most likely needs done before it will work with MinGW.
>>
> Misinterpreted google results because of wrong assumption ("most of
> the steps to get Cygwin most likely"... which seems to have meant
> "most of the steps to get it working with Cygwin"...).  An example
> of relying on what one thinks is one's correct general knowledge
> background, when that knowledge is in fact incorrect.
>
> For some reason people very commonly minimize the difference between
> MinGW and Cygwin, or don't bother to look into what it really is but
> make uneducated guesses about what levels or areas contain those
> differences.  I'm sure this will be misinterpreted as a slam against
> people who it does not pertain to, but: the mingw user group as a
> whole seems to contain a large number of individuals who appear to
> think that the only difference between mingw and cygwin is some
> "thorny obnoxious GPL license thing".  Kinda sad that this ignorance
> is *so* rife. It isn't Keith or Earnie's fault, that's for sure.
> Frankly, I blame the users. ;-P
>
> Samba surely involves heavy use of BSD sockets programming (it being
> a networking application).  Cygwin has BSD sockets (heh, what do you
> know, one of its major reasons for existing).  MinGW does not.
> Thus, a networking application that has been successfully built on
> Cygwin still needs a complete porting effort to change the *actual
> source code* so that it will run using MS winsock sockets. Just as
> major an effort as if it had never been 'ported' to Cygwin at all,
> but instead only ever built & run on, say, GNU/Linux.
>
> Wanting to help is great. I urge people using the mingw-users list
> to try to make sure they actually know correctly what they are
> talking about, though, WRT to what Cygwin is, before they cite facts
> about it that aren't, make comparisons that aren't, etc.  If you
> haven't got your background straight, perhaps keeping your mouth
> shut until you've made the time to get the facts straight would be a
> better idea?
>
>   Regards,
>      Soren 'somian' Andersen

See ReactOS for an possible Start of BSD Socket port, note license is
not likely to be compatible for submitting to MinGW project.
http://www.reactos.org/generated/doxygen/de/d17/bsd_8c-source.html

Just trying to help un-like others.

Note: I am not an expert like others, so do not use my info as fact with
you checking it.

Tim S

Re: Compiling Samba4

Quoting Tim Stahlhut <[hidden email]>:

>>   Regards,
>>      Soren 'somian' Andersen
>>

> Hey, you did nothing to answer the question other than mention BSD
> sockets will need porting to MinGW to solve the problem.
> So, since you did not answer the question why open your mouth.

Although maybe a bit harsh I think Soren was spot on.

> Tim S
>
> PS. I have found out from past experience on other programs that looking
> at the Cygwin ports when there is no MinGW ports is a good starting point.
> But, from what you say we on the MinGW list should never ever think of
> not re-inventing the wheel.

I don't see how looking at a port to Cygwin helps with a port to MinGW.
  Cygwin tries to make the porting from UNIX to Windows seamless by
providing a POSIX library.  How exactly does looking at the way UNIX
does it help with the way Windows does it?

Re: Compiling Samba4

Tim S
Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Quoting Tim Stahlhut <[hidden email]>:
>

>>>   Regards,
>>>      Soren 'somian' Andersen
>>>

>> Hey, you did nothing to answer the question other than mention BSD
>> sockets will need porting to MinGW to solve the problem.
>> So, since you did not answer the question why open your mouth.
>>

> Although maybe a bit harsh I think Soren was spot on.
>

>> Tim S
>>
>> PS. I have found out from past experience on other programs that looking
>> at the Cygwin ports when there is no MinGW ports is a good starting point.
>> But, from what you say we on the MinGW list should never ever think of
>> not re-inventing the wheel.
>>

> I don't see how looking at a port to Cygwin helps with a port to MinGW.
>   Cygwin tries to make the porting from UNIX to Windows seamless by
> providing a POSIX library.  How exactly does looking at the way UNIX
> does it help with the way Windows does it?
>
> Earnie

I take all the source code that works for MinGW and Cygwin in the Cygwin
version control must have been a waste of time that should only fix it
for Cywin the places where the patch are the same must of been a figment
of my imagination.

Goodbye hope your newgroup learns how to help people.
I now know why CodeBlocks.org gets so many newbie questions from MinGW
users. There is no support for them on this group.

The people who knows the answers are not answering in case they may get
it wrong, or miss some detail, and get flamed by the Know-It-Alls.

Tim S

.

Re: Compiling Samba4

Tor Lillqvist
> I take all the source code that works for MinGW and Cygwin in the Cygwin
> version control must have been a waste of time that should only fix it
> for Cywin the places where the patch are the same must of been a figment
> of my imagination.

Could you show us some concrete example of some short but non-trivial
code snippet where the same "port" to Cygwin also works for native
Windows (in this case, MinGW)?

I can sure think of several kinds of code where "porting" to Cygwin
doesn't help at all for porting to native Windows. After all, the
intent of Cygwin is that code that compiles on Unix in general (and
nowadays Linux in particular) and which doesn't use Unix flavour
specific assumptions should compile and work as such without changes.
Making Unix code work with Windows pathnames, with the Microsoft C
library, and with the WinSock socket API implementation requires
actual porting effort and code changes.

Re: Compiling Samba4

Tim S
Tor Lillqvist wrote:

>> I take all the source code that works for MinGW and Cygwin in the Cygwin
>> version control must have been a waste of time that should only fix it
>> for Cywin the places where the patch are the same must of been a figment
>> of my imagination.
>>

> Could you show us some concrete example of some short but non-trivial
> code snippet where the same "port" to Cygwin also works for native
> Windows (in this case, MinGW)?
>
> I can sure think of several kinds of code where "porting" to Cygwin
> doesn't help at all for porting to native Windows. After all, the
> intent of Cygwin is that code that compiles on Unix in general (and
> nowadays Linux in particular) and which doesn't use Unix flavour
> specific assumptions should compile and work as such without changes.
> Making Unix code work with Windows pathnames, with the Microsoft C
> library, and with the WinSock socket API implementation requires
> actual porting effort and code changes.
>
> --tml

I agree that sometimes the changes needed for Cygwin do not help to port
the app to MinGW based build.
BUT, I do not agree that it never helps to look at how Cygwin did the port.

All you experts know what is involved in the answer, but us non experts
find it helps to reduce the size of the problem needed to be solved.

Tim S

PS: Why does no one, of the Know-It-Alls, on this group what to help the OP?

Re: Compiling Samba4

Earnie Boyd

Quoting Tim Stahlhut <[hidden email]>:

> PS: Why does no one, of the Know-It-Alls, on this group what to help the OP?

Soren's original response included help.  You must have missed it.
This isn't an easy port but probably doable.  The OP will need to
research MSDN for the answers to the questions.  So we "Know-It-Alls"
just don't know it all.

Re: Compiling Samba4

Tim S

<quote author="AyvanGo">
Is there any chance to compile Samba4 with mingw? I'm looking for some
guide or success story. Dumb actions (autogen.sh && configure&&make)
cause many errors.  I'd like to get libsmbclient at least.

Found an item in Google Cache that from Elrond says
1) Give configure the --enable-really-no-security option
2) I cross compile TNG on Linux with mingw there.
3) There are a bit older precompiled binaries from me at http://download.samba-tng.org/tng/snapshot/win32/

Note: The user was using MinGW under MSys no idea if using MSys is needed.

The link to samba-tng.org does NOT work for me.

Tim S

Re: Compiling Samba4

Tim S
Tim S wrote:

> Is there any chance to compile Samba4 with mingw? I'm looking for some
> guide or success story. Dumb actions (autogen.sh && configure&&make)
> cause many errors.  I'd like to get libsmbclient at least.
>
> Found an item in Google Cache that from Elrond says
> 1) Give configure the --enable-really-no-security option
> 2) I cross compile TNG on Linux with mingw there.
> 3) There are a bit older precompiled binaries from me at
> http://download.samba-tng.org/tng/snapshot/win32/
>
> Note: The user was using MinGW under MSys no idea if using MSys is needed.
>
> The link to samba-tng.org does NOT work for me.
>
> Tim S

False lead, the Samba TNG configure option --enable-really-no-security
is not in samba 4.
I just downloaded the Samba Alpha5 file to check.

Tim S

Re: Compiling Samba4

AyvanGo
Tim S wrote:

> Note: The user was using MinGW under MSys no idea if using MSys is needed.

It's not the problem, I've installed msys of course.  I've installed
fresh gnu make, m4, etc. and build actual version of autohell.

Soren Andersen wrote:
>Samba surely involves heavy use of BSD sockets programming (it being
>a networking application).  Cygwin has BSD sockets (heh, what do you
>know, one of its major reasons for existing).  MinGW does not.
>Thus, a networking application that has been successfully built on
>Cygwin still needs a complete porting effort to change the *actual
>source code* so that it will run using MS winsock sockets. Just as
>major an effort as if it had never been 'ported' to Cygwin at all,
>but instead only ever built & run on, say, GNU/Linux.

Thanks for satisfactory explanation. I was on a way for compiling
mplayer with mingw so it forces me to disable samba options in
mplayer.