Compiler for C++11

Chrys Forcha
Hello,

Will the C++ compiler suit at Mingw compile C++11 code (ISO/IEC 14882:2011)?

Regards,
Chrysanthus

Re: Compiler for C++11

Greg Chicares
On 2013-07-16 10:04Z, Chrys Forcha wrote:

> Will the C++ compiler suit at Mingw compile C++11 code (ISO/IEC 14882:2011)?

Latest release notes:
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Base/gcc/Version4/gcc-4.7.2-1/gcc-4.7.2-1-mingw32.README.txt/download
It's built without local patches, so see the limitations
documented upstream here:
  http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/cxx0x.html

Re: Compiler for C++11

niXman
2013/7/16 Chrys Forcha

> Hello,
>
> Will the C++ compiler suit at Mingw compile C++11 code (ISO/IEC 14882:2011)?

Latest(4.8.1) MinGW based on CRT & API from MinGW-w64 project(32 and
64-bit mingw) you can find here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/files/host-windows/releases/

niXman
Dual-target(32 & 64-bit) MinGW compilers for 32 and 64-bit Windows:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/
Another online IDE: http://liveworkspace.org/

Re: Compiler for C++11

Earnie Boyd
On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 6:46 AM, niXman wrote:
> 2013/7/16 Chrys Forcha
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Will the C++ compiler suit at Mingw compile C++11 code (ISO/IEC 14882:2011)?
>
> Latest(4.8.1) MinGW based on CRT & API from MinGW-w64 project(32 and
> 64-bit mingw) you can find here:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/files/host-windows/releases/

Please do not advertise those here.

Re: Compiler for C++11

niXman
2013/7/16 Earnie Boyd:

> Please do not advertise those here.

TS asks about the compiler with C++11 support. Why can't I give it the
answer about where him can take the last available version?

niXman
Dual-target(32 & 64-bit) MinGW compilers for 32 and 64-bit Windows:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/
Another online IDE: http://liveworkspace.org/

Re: Compiler for C++11

Keith Marshall
On 16 July 2013 12:16, niXman wrote:
2013/7/16 Earnie Boyd:

> Please do not advertise those here.

TS asks about the compiler with C++11 support. Why can't I give it the
answer about where him can take the last available version?

You may, *provided* you also include a *very* *prominent* declaration to
the effect that you are suggesting a personal build, which is neither
accredited nor supported by MinGW.org, and that if OP chooses to adopt
it, he should direct all support enquiries *directly* to you.

By omitting such a declaration, it appears that you are claiming an
accreditation to which you are not entitled, and engendering a false
impression that MinGW.org will accept responsibility for support of your
personal builds, (which of course, we will not).  It is this subterfuge
to which Earnie has (rightfully) objected.

To make this absolutely clear: MinGW.org does not yet offer any version
of GCC later than 4.7.2.  If you come here, asking for support for 4.8+,
do not be surprised if we tell you to go ask your supplier, because we
know that isn't us.

Re: Compiler for C++11

niXman
2013/7/16 Keith Marshall:

> You may, *provided* you also include a *very* *prominent* declaration to
> the effect that you are suggesting a personal build, which is neither
> accredited nor supported by MinGW.org, and that if OP chooses to adopt
> it, he should direct all support enquiries *directly* to you.

It seems clear that if the link points to another project, then
questions about another project you need to ask on the mailing list of
the this another project...

I sincerely do not understand why you(Earnie and Keith) react so aggressively...

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 8:30 AM, niXman wrote:

> 2013/7/16 Keith Marshall:
>
>> You may, *provided* you also include a *very* *prominent* declaration to
>> the effect that you are suggesting a personal build, which is neither
>> accredited nor supported by MinGW.org, and that if OP chooses to adopt
>> it, he should direct all support enquiries *directly* to you.
>
> It seems clear that if the link points to another project, then
> questions about another project you need to ask on the mailing list of
> the this another project...
>
> I sincerely do not understand why you(Earnie and Keith) react so aggressively...

Because it appears to be proselytizing so we defend our position.

Re: Compiler for C++11

Bob Rossi-2
On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 09:02:29AM -0400, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 8:30 AM, niXman wrote:
> > 2013/7/16 Keith Marshall:
> >
> >> You may, *provided* you also include a *very* *prominent* declaration to
> >> the effect that you are suggesting a personal build, which is neither
> >> accredited nor supported by MinGW.org, and that if OP chooses to adopt
> >> it, he should direct all support enquiries *directly* to you.
> >
> > It seems clear that if the link points to another project, then
> > questions about another project you need to ask on the mailing list of
> > the this another project...
> >
> > I sincerely do not understand why you(Earnie and Keith) react so aggressively...
>
> Because it appears to be proselytizing so we defend our position.

Earnie or Keith, do you have an alternative answer to the original
question?

Bob Rossi

Re: Compiler for C++11

Earnie Boyd

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 6:37 AM, Greg Chicares wrote:
> On 2013-07-16 10:04Z, Chrys Forcha wrote:
>>
>> Will the C++ compiler suit at Mingw compile C++11 code (ISO/IEC 14882:2011)?
>
> Latest release notes:
>   http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Base/gcc/Version4/gcc-4.7.2-1/gcc-4.7.2-1-mingw32.README.txt/download
> It's built without local patches, so see the limitations
> documented upstream here:
>   http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/cxx0x.html

Re: Compiler for C++11

Jared Maddox
> Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 16:30:23 +0400
> From: niXman <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Mingw-users] Compiler for C++11
> To: MinGW Users List <[hidden email]>
>
> 2013/7/16 Keith Marshall:
>
>> You may, *provided* you also include a *very* *prominent* declaration to
>> the effect that you are suggesting a personal build, which is neither
>> accredited nor supported by MinGW.org, and that if OP chooses to adopt
>> it, he should direct all support enquiries *directly* to you.
>
> It seems clear that if the link points to another project, then
> questions about another project you need to ask on the mailing list of
> the this another project...
>
> I sincerely do not understand why you(Earnie and Keith) react so
> aggressively...

You might notice that the URL includes: mingwbuilds
To the uninitiated, this makes that project look like a sub-project of
MinGW, perhaps used to hold files that get grabbed to auto-assemble
packages. To someone in the know it may seem unrelated to MinGW.org,
but those people are likely to not need to ask in the first place. The
people most likely to need to ask are precisely those who should be
warned.

tl;dr: you did it wrong, include a disclaimer next time.