Compile 'time' with error

narke
Hi,

I want to use GNU time tool in MinGW environment.  I then downloaded
the time-1.7 source code.  It passed with 'configure' but failed in
'make'.  Here are error messages:

$ make
gcc -c -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -DRETSIGTYPE=void -D
HAVE_TIMEVAL=1 -DHAVE_VPRINTF=1 -DHAVE_STRERROR=1 -DHAVE_GETPAGESIZE=1  -I. -I.
   -g -O time.c
time.c: In function 'run_command':
time.c:614:7: warning: passing argument 2 of 'execvp' from incompatible pointer
type
c:\mingw\bin\../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.2/../../../../include/process.h:120:42: note
: expected 'const char * const*' but argument is of type 'char * const*'
time.c:621:25: error: 'SIGQUIT' undeclared (first use in this function)
time.c:621:25: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each f
unction it appears in
make: *** [time.o] Error 1

And, attached is the 'config.log'

Could anyone help me?  Thanks in advance.

    -- Schopenhauer

narke
public key at http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371 ([hidden email])

config.log (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Compile 'time' with error

Tor Lillqvist
> time.c:621:25: error: 'SIGQUIT' undeclared (first use in this function)
>
> Could anyone help me?  Thanks in advance.

There isn't much that can be done. The software you are trying to
build is not portable to Windows. MinGW does not provide Linux (or
Unix in general) emulation. You need to port the software in question
to use Windows APIs if you want to run it on Windows.

Re: Compile 'time' with error

narke
On 4 July 2011 13:40, Tor Lillqvist <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> time.c:621:25: error: 'SIGQUIT' undeclared (first use in this function)
>>
>> Could anyone help me?  Thanks in advance.
>
> There isn't much that can be done. The software you are trying to
> build is not portable to Windows. MinGW does not provide Linux (or
> Unix in general) emulation. You need to port the software in question
> to use Windows APIs if you want to run it on Windows.
>
> --tml

Understood.  If so, is there any Windows replacement for Linux 'time'
command?  Thanks.

    -- Schopenhauer

narke
public key at http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371 ([hidden email])

Re: Compile 'time' with error

Tor Lillqvist
> Understood.  If so, is there any Windows replacement for Linux 'time'
> command?

Well, the MSYS bash has a built-in "time" command, for instance.

Re: Compile 'time' with error

narke wrote:

> On 4 July 2011 13:40, Tor Lillqvist <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> time.c:621:25: error: 'SIGQUIT' undeclared (first use in this function)
>>>
>>> Could anyone help me?  Thanks in advance.
>>
>> There isn't much that can be done. The software you are trying to
>> build is not portable to Windows. MinGW does not provide Linux (or
>> Unix in general) emulation. You need to port the software in question
>> to use Windows APIs if you want to run it on Windows.
>>
>> --tml
>>

> Understood.  If so, is there any Windows replacement for Linux 'time'
> command?  Thanks.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=time+function+site%3Amsdn.microsoft.com

-- http://www.for-my-kids.com

Re: Compile 'time' with error

Nathan Ridge
> narke wrote:

> >> There isn't much that can be done. The software you are trying to
> >> build is not portable to Windows. MinGW does not provide Linux (or
> >> Unix in general) emulation. You need to port the software in question
> >> to use Windows APIs if you want to run it on Windows.
> >>
> >> --tml
> >>

> > Understood. If so, is there any Windows replacement for Linux 'time'
> > command? Thanks.
> >

> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=time+function+site%3Amsdn.microsoft.com

The OP was asking for a Windows version of the command-line "time"
command, not the time() library function.

I find it quite ironic that you post an LMGTFY link when you yourself
can't be bothered to read the actual question...

Regards,
Nate.

Re: Compile 'time' with error

Earnie Boyd
Nathan Ridge wrote:

>> narke wrote:

>>> Understood.  If so, is there any Windows replacement for Linux 'time'
>>> command?  Thanks.
>>>

>> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=time+function+site%3Amsdn.microsoft.com

> The OP was asking for a Windows version of the command-line "time"
> command, not the time() library function.
>
> I find it quite ironic that you post an LMGTFY link when you yourself
> can't be bothered to read the actual question...

Ok, I still used Google to find
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/673523/how-to-measure-execution-time-of-command-in-windows-command-line
which gives various helps.

-- http://www.for-my-kids.com

Re: Compile 'time' with error

narke
On 6 July 2011 04:30, Earnie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nathan Ridge wrote:

>>> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=time+function+site%3Amsdn.microsoft.com

>> The OP was asking for a Windows version of the command-line "time"
>> command, not the time() library function.
>>
>> I find it quite ironic that you post an LMGTFY link when you yourself
>> can't be bothered to read the actual question...
>>

> Ok, I still used Google to find
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/673523/how-to-measure-execution-time-of-command-in-windows-command-line
> which gives various helps.
>
> --