Quantcast

Can't use external Libs?

Depo Catcher

See screen shot.  Files are there, but can't find any of them.  Out of frustration I just put them in the MinGW\lib path; but it still can't find them!
I'm really sore about this, files obviously exist and have read/write perms to them.  I tried from command line also without luck.

http://i.imgur.com/bPvG4.png

    * OS: Windows 7 Pro X64
    * IDE: Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers
    * Compiler: MinGW (lastest, 4.5.2)

Compiling HelloWorld.c works; but when I try to add some external libraries it chokes.

The libraries I have are said to be compatible with win32/mingw. They also have a different download for MSVC which does work.

Frustrating. The ld.exe gives the full path and obviously there and I have permissions to read/write them. I also included them without path (they are in library path and path).

I don't understand why this isn't working.

c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.2/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -l
C:\rhino\data\lib\glfw.dll c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.2/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -l
C:\rhino\data\lib\libglfwdll.a c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.2/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lC:\rhino\data\lib\libglfw.a

C:\Users\rhino>dir C:\rhino\data\lib\libglfw.a
04/15/2011  05:24 PM            70,384 libglfw.a

Re: Can't use external Libs?

sisyphus1

Re: Can't use external Libs?

J Decker
Because gcc doesn't want the FULL name it just wants the core name -
it auto adds the lib prefix and .a or .so suffix.

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Depo Catcher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> See screen shot.  Files are there, but can't find any of them.  Out of
> frustration I just put them in the MinGW\lib path; but it still can't find
> them!
> I'm really sore about this, files obviously exist and have read/write perms
> to them.  I tried from command line also without luck.
>
> http://i.imgur.com/bPvG4.png
>
>     * OS: Windows 7 Pro X64
>     * IDE: Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers
>     * Compiler: MinGW (lastest, 4.5.2)
>
> Compiling HelloWorld.c works; but when I try to add some external libraries
> it chokes.
>
> The libraries I have are said to be compatible with win32/mingw. They also
> have a different download for MSVC which does work.
>
> Frustrating. The ld.exe gives the full path and obviously there and I have
> permissions to read/write them. I also included them without path (they are
> in library path and path).
>
> I don't understand why this isn't working.
>
> c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.2/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot
> find -l
> C:\rhino\data\lib\glfw.dll
> c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.2/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot
> find -l
> C:\rhino\data\lib\libglfwdll.a
> c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.2/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot
> find -lC:\rhino\data\lib\libglfw.a
>
> C:\Users\rhino>dir C:\rhino\data\lib\libglfw.a
> 04/15/2011  05:24 PM            70,384 libglfw.a

> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette
> may cause your account to be moderated.

Re: Can't use external Libs?

Depo Catcher

Library Path is C:\MinWG\lib
I took out path and suffix.
Still errors.

gcc -LC:\MinGW\lib -p -pg -oTestC.exe TestC.o -llibglfw -llibglfwdll
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.2/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe:
cannot find -llibglfw
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.2/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe:
cannot find -llibglfwdll

On 4/15/2011 8:22 PM, J Decker wrote:

> Because gcc doesn't want the FULL name it just wants the core name -
> it auto adds the lib prefix and .a or .so suffix.
>
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Depo Catcher<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> See screen shot.  Files are there, but can't find any of them.  Out of
>> frustration I just put them in the MinGW\lib path; but it still can't find
>> them!
>> I'm really sore about this, files obviously exist and have read/write perms
>> to them.  I tried from command line also without luck.
>>
>> http://i.imgur.com/bPvG4.png
>>
>>      * OS: Windows 7 Pro X64
>>      * IDE: Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers
>>      * Compiler: MinGW (lastest, 4.5.2)
>>
>> Compiling HelloWorld.c works; but when I try to add some external libraries
>> it chokes.
>>
>> The libraries I have are said to be compatible with win32/mingw. They also
>> have a different download for MSVC which does work.
>>
>> Frustrating. The ld.exe gives the full path and obviously there and I have
>> permissions to read/write them. I also included them without path (they are
>> in library path and path).
>>
>> I don't understand why this isn't working.
>>
>> c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.2/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot
>> find -l
>> C:\rhino\data\lib\glfw.dll
>> c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.2/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot
>> find -l
>> C:\rhino\data\lib\libglfwdll.a
>> c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.2/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot
>> find -lC:\rhino\data\lib\libglfw.a
>>
>> C:\Users\rhino>dir C:\rhino\data\lib\libglfw.a
>> 04/15/2011  05:24 PM            70,384 libglfw.a

>> [hidden email]
>>
>> This list observes the Etiquette found at
>> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
>> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette
>> may cause your account to be moderated.

Re: Can't use external Libs?

Depo Catcher

Thanks, but I took out suffix and have it in lib path:
(also it's Eclipse CDT that is setting it, not me)

Regardless, I tried it manually:

gcc -LC:\MinGW\lib -p -pg -oTestC.exe TestC.o -llibglfw -llibglfwdll
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.2/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -llibglfw
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.2/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -llibglfwdll

On 4/15/2011 8:22 PM, Sisyphus wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Depo Catcher"

I don't understand why this isn't working.

Your usage of the -l switch is incorrect.
To link to libglfw.a use -lglfw, and to link to libglfwdll.a use -lglfwdll.
If you need to specify the location of the libraries, do so on the command line with the -L switch,
eg -LC:/Mingw/lib

And the "-L..." stuff needs to precede the "-l..." stuff on the command line.

Cheers,
Rob

Re: Can't use external Libs?

John Brown

Hello Depo Catcher,

My original response went to your private email instead of the list
so I am sending it again.

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 23:09:42 -0500, Depo Catcher wrote

> Library Path is C:\MinWG\lib
> I took out path and suffix.
> Still errors.
> gcc -LC:\MinGW\lib -p -pg -oTestC.exe TestC.o -llibglfw -llibglfwdll
> c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.2/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe:
> cannot find -llibglfw
> c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.2/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe:
> cannot find -llibglfwdll

Going back to your original post where you
are trying to link withC:\rhino\data\lib\libglfw.a (static library) or
C:\rhino\data\lib\libglfw.dll.a (import library). You can do this in two
ways:

1) Add c:\rhino\data\lib to your library search path and specify
the library as -lglfw:
gcc -Lc:\rhino\data\lib -p -pg -oTestC.exe TestC.o -lglfw

Note that -lglfw matches libglfw.a *and* libglfw.dll.a. Gcc prefers
to link to shared libraries by default, so libglfw.dll.a will
be selected, unless you add -static to your gcc command line.

2) Specify the full name of the library, in which case you do not need
to add the folder containing the library to the library search path.

gcc -p -pg -oTestC.exe TestC.o c:\rhino\data\lib\libglfw.a
OR
gcc -p -pg -oTestC.exe TestC.o c:\rhino\data\lib\libglfw.dll.a

In the second case, TestC.exe will require the DLL, which I assume is
called glfw.dll.

Regards,
Alias John Brown.

Re: Can't use external Libs?

[please don't top post on technical lists]

On 16/04/11 05:09, Depo Catcher wrote:
> Library Path is C:\MinWG\lib
> I took out path and suffix.
> Still errors.
>
> gcc -LC:\MinGW\lib -p -pg -oTestC.exe TestC.o -llibglfw ...

Still errors, because your usage is STILL WRONG!  Both of the previous
respondents have told you to drop BOTH PREFIX, and suffix, yet you have
dropped only the suffix.  Do you REALLY have a library called

  c:/MinGW/lib/liblibglfw.a

(for that is what -Lc:/MinGW/lib -llibglfw implies)?  I doubt it; more
likely, you have

  c:/MinGW/lib/libglfw.a

and the correct -l usage to specify that, (as Rob already noted), is

  -lglfw

NOT, (as you have)

  -llibglfw

Also noteworthy: you don't need -Lc:/MinGW/lib, (if you have installed
MinGW's GCC in c:/MinGW), because that is the default library search
path anyway.  However, although redundant, specifying it is mostly harmless.

Re: Can't use external Libs?

Depo Catcher

On 4/16/2011 2:44 AM, John Brown wrote:

> Hello Depo Catcher,
>
> My original response went to your private email instead of the list
> so I am sending it again.
>
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 23:09:42 -0500, Depo Catcher wrote
>
>> Library Path is C:\MinWG\lib
>> I took out path and suffix.
>> Still errors.
>> gcc -LC:\MinGW\lib -p -pg -oTestC.exe TestC.o -llibglfw -llibglfwdll
>> c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.2/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe:
>> cannot find -llibglfw
>> c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.2/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe:
>> cannot find -llibglfwdll
>

> Going back to your original post where you
> are trying to link withC:\rhino\data\lib\libglfw.a (static library) or
> C:\rhino\data\lib\libglfw.dll.a (import library). You can do this in two
> ways:
>
> 1) Add c:\rhino\data\lib to your library search path and specify
> the library as -lglfw:
> gcc -Lc:\rhino\data\lib -p -pg -oTestC.exe TestC.o -lglfw
>
> Note that -lglfw matches libglfw.a *and* libglfw.dll.a. Gcc prefers
> to link to shared libraries by default, so libglfw.dll.a will
> be selected, unless you add -static to your gcc command line.
>
> 2) Specify the full name of the library, in which case you do not need
> to add the folder containing the library to the library search path.
>
> gcc -p -pg -oTestC.exe TestC.o c:\rhino\data\lib\libglfw.a
> OR
> gcc -p -pg -oTestC.exe TestC.o c:\rhino\data\lib\libglfw.dll.a
>
> In the second case, TestC.exe will require the DLL, which I assume is
> called glfw.dll.
>
> Regards,
> Alias John Brown.

Thanks for your help everyone.  This is working now.  I just link
against the .dll file (without extension)

Re: Can't use external Libs?

kaya13
Hello Everybody. Im kind of new to Mingw and all. I have almost the same problem recently, read all the replies and still couldnt find a solution. Im using Eclipse and trying to add Unittest++ library to my project. I added the library header files to minGW/include and *.a file to mingw/lib. I think i have done the required settings at project properties, have chosen include and library paths. The thing I wanna add is, I only have one library file, and it is "  UnitTest++.a  " file, dont have any other dll file or something. Somehow, i get the error that says;

>>g++ -LC:\MinGW\lib -oParseStateMachine.exe src\tok.o src\time.o src\sentence.o src\rs232.o src\parser.o >>src\parse.o src\info.o src\gmath.o src\context.o Tests\tests.o -lC:\MinGW\lib\libUnitTest++.a
>>C:\MinGW\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.5\..\..\..\..\mingw32\bin\ld.exe: cannot find ->>lC:\MinGW\lib\libUnitTest++.a
>>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>Build error occurred, build is stopped

Lib Error

Any help will greatly appreciated. Have a nice one...

Re: Can't use external Libs?

Greg Chicares
On 2012-04-24 13:51Z, kaya13 wrote:
[...]
>>>g++ -LC:\MinGW\lib -oParseStateMachine.exe src\tok.o src\time.o
> src\sentence.o src\rs232.o src\parser.o >>src\parse.o src\info.o src\gmath.o
> src\context.o Tests\tests.o -lC:\MinGW\lib\libUnitTest++.a
>>>C:\MinGW\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.5\..\..\..\..\mingw32\bin\ld.exe:
> cannot find ->>lC:\MinGW\lib\libUnitTest++.a

'-lxxx' links a library called 'libxxx': the 'lib' prefix is implicitly
added...so, instead of
  -lC:\MinGW\lib\libUnitTest++.a
try
  -lUnitTest++.a
You don't need to specify the path here, because you already specified
it with '-LC:\MinGW\lib'. (That path ought to be searched by default
anyway, so you should be able to omit '-LC:\MinGW\lib'.)

Re: Can't use external Libs?

kaya13
Thanks, but still doesnt work. I almost tried all the cases, added -l as a prefix, removed suffix, changed file name, etc. Tried to find out all day, still no solution.

Re: Can't use external Libs?

Earnie Boyd
On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 2:48 PM, kaya13 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks, but still doesnt work. I almost tried all the cases, added -l as a
> prefix, removed suffix, changed file name, etc. Tried to find out all day,
> still no solution.

g++ -o my.exe my.o -lmylib

The reference to -lmylib will find libmylib.dll.a or libmylib.a or
mylib.lib or mylib.dll in C:\mingw\lib assuming you installed MinGW in
C:\mingw.

Re: Can't use external Libs?

kaya13
Thank you for your replies guys. I couldnt solve the lib problem on Eclipse, but i did managed it with make file. Currently learning how to write/edit make file, recommend you to do so :D

Re: Can't use external Libs?

kaya13
I have solved it for good this time guys. Thank you for your replies.

The solution is;

add the library path to library path tab,
add only the name of library to the library section.

Example:
If your library file name is  libUnittest++.a ,
just use Unittest++ as a library name, dont add path of the file, too.
Thats is.
Boa

Re: Can't use external Libs?

Boa
Hi!
Sorry for my poor English:(
I am just new in MinGW, and i can't link the external library, stored in file "gnustep-base-1_18.dll".
Have I to rename it like that "libgnustep-base-1_18.dll.a" ?
Thanks:)