Can I statically link with mingwm.dll?

Леонид Чайка
How to statically link with mingwm.dll ?

Re: Can I statically link with mingwm.dll?

Aurimas Černius
Hi,

> How to statically link with mingwm.dll ?

You mean mingwm10.dll ? You can't.

--
Aurimas

Re: Can I statically link with mingwm.dll?

Brian Dessent

> How to statically link with mingwm.dll ?

You can't, as its design requires that it be a DLL so that it can act on
DLL_THREAD_DETACH notifications in its DllMain().

There was a proposed patch earlier this summer on the gcc list that
switched the cleanup mechanism to registering a PE static TLS callback
instead, which would have eliminated the need for the DLL and would
generally be a much cleaner way to handle the problem.  However this
would make it essentially impossible for gcc to support threaded apps on
Windows 95/98/ME without memory leaks because the non-NT versions of
Windows don't have static TLS.  I'm not sure what Aaron has planned for
the patch, such as adding some sort of compatibility toggle or whatnot.

Brian

Re: Can I statically link with mingwm.dll?

Brian Dessent

> would make it essentially impossible for gcc to support threaded apps on
> Windows 95/98/ME without memory leaks because the non-NT versions of

And, just for the record: Personally I don't have any problem with
dropping Win 9x/ME support entirely, after all Microsoft has long ago
done as much.  But my impression -- and this may be totally unfounded --
is that there are still some people out there who would like to use
MinGW to maintain apps that still run on dinosaurs.  Maybe we just say
that if you want to do that you stick to the existing stable versions
that use the mingwm10.dll method.

Brian

Re: Can I statically link with mingwm.dll?

Aurimas Černius
Hi,

>> would make it essentially impossible for gcc to support threaded apps on
>> Windows 95/98/ME without memory leaks because the non-NT versions of
>
> And, just for the record: Personally I don't have any problem with
> dropping Win 9x/ME support entirely, after all Microsoft has long ago
> done as much.  But my impression -- and this may be totally unfounded --
> is that there are still some people out there who would like to use
> MinGW to maintain apps that still run on dinosaurs.  Maybe we just say
> that if you want to do that you stick to the existing stable versions
> that use the mingwm10.dll method.

I think GCC4 doesn't work on Win9x. At least it didn't some time ago. If
so, than dropping support for Win9x is already half-done.

--
Aurimas

Aurimas ?ernius wrote:

> I think GCC4 doesn't work on Win9x. At least it didn't some time ago. If
> so, than dropping support for Win9x is already half-done.

I just tried the MinGW 4.2.1 gcc under a Win98 vmware image and it
worked fine.

And anyway, the issue isn't Win9x host support that's relevant as I
doubt that any sane developer would use a 9x system as a development
host.  It's Win9x/ME target support that matters.

Brian

Quoting Brian Dessent <[hidden email]>:

>> would make it essentially impossible for gcc to support threaded apps on
>> Windows 95/98/ME without memory leaks because the non-NT versions of
>
> And, just for the record: Personally I don't have any problem with
> dropping Win 9x/ME support entirely, after all Microsoft has long ago
> done as much.  But my impression -- and this may be totally unfounded --
> is that there are still some people out there who would like to use
> MinGW to maintain apps that still run on dinosaurs.  Maybe we just say
> that if you want to do that you stick to the existing stable versions
> that use the mingwm10.dll method.

FWIW, I have no problem with this stance.

Stand alone file utilities?

Ian Puleston
Hi,

I have an application that includes a setup mechanism that runs shell
scripts to set up data files that the application uses, and for that I need
to include bash plus a few file utilities (cp, mv, sed, grep, etc.) with the
app. So, question - so far as I can see, these utilities are only
distributed as part of msys (correct?) but can they be built as stand-alone
executables that can run without msys?

Another question - these were originally tcsh scripts, but the only reliable
Windows tcsh port I've found is the Cygwin one, and Cygwin is a bit too
heavyweight for what I want here so I ended up re-writing them as bash
scripts. Has anyone ever tried porting tcsh to MinGW?

Ian

Re: Stand alone file utilities?

Brian Dessent
[ Please don't hijack threads.  By replying and changing the subject,
you still associate your message with the unrelated "Can I statically
link with mingwm.dll" topic in every threaded email client and in the
threaded web archives such as gmane.  Instead start a new thread by
sending a blank email, not by replying to an existing one. ]

Ian Puleston wrote:

> I have an application that includes a setup mechanism that runs shell
> scripts to set up data files that the application uses, and for that I need
> to include bash plus a few file utilities (cp, mv, sed, grep, etc.) with the
> app. So, question - so far as I can see, these utilities are only
> distributed as part of msys (correct?) but can they be built as stand-alone
> executables that can run without msys?

There are standalone ports of many tools at projects like
<http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/> and
<http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/> but they are separate projects from
MinGW, so questions about them should go to their respective projects'
mailing lists.

> Another question - these were originally tcsh scripts, but the only reliable
> Windows tcsh port I've found is the Cygwin one, and Cygwin is a bit too
> heavyweight for what I want here so I ended up re-writing them as bash
> scripts. Has anyone ever tried porting tcsh to MinGW?

As far as I know the only POSIX shell with a native Win32 port is zsh.
If you stick to portable Bourne shell scripting style and avoid
bash-isms, this should work fine.

Brian

Quoting Ian Puleston <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I have an application that includes a setup mechanism that runs shell
> scripts to set up data files that the application uses, and for that I need
> to include bash plus a few file utilities (cp, mv, sed, grep, etc.) with the
> app. So, question - so far as I can see, these utilities are only
> distributed as part of msys (correct?) but can they be built as stand-alone
> executables that can run without msys?

Why without MSYS?

> Another question - these were originally tcsh scripts, but the only reliable
> Windows tcsh port I've found is the Cygwin one, and Cygwin is a bit too
> heavyweight for what I want here so I ended up re-writing them as bash
> scripts. Has anyone ever tried porting tcsh to MinGW?

Not that I know of.  I did a google
http://www.google.com/search?q=tcsh+windows+-cygwin and found
http://www.highend3d.com/downloads/tools/os_utils/89.html you can
google too.  I also found ftp://ftp.astron.com/pub/tcsh/old with some
bit of trial and error.

Re: Stand alone file utilities?

Ian Puleston

It's not really a big deal, actually, I'm just trying to minimize what I
need to package up with the app. I used to use the unxutils ports but needed
to move away from those because I need something that will run in 64-bit
Vista (they were last updated back in 2003). Moving from those to msys (just
the bits I need) increased the size by a factor of 3, but I can live with
that if I need to.

> > Has anyone ever tried porting tcsh to MinGW?
>
> Not that I know of.  I did a google
> http://www.google.com/search?q=tcsh+windows+-cygwin and found
> http://www.highend3d.com/downloads/tools/os_utils/89.html you can
> google too.  I also found ftp://ftp.astron.com/pub/tcsh/old with some
> bit of trial and error.

Again, I need something that runs in Vista-64 which really means something
that's actively maintained, and the only working tcsh I've found so far is
the Cygwin one. But that Astron site has a 2008 dated version for AMD 64 so
I'll give that a try. Thanks.

And apologies for "hijacking the thread". I had no idea that email headers
included a thread ID.

Ian

Re: Stand alone file utilities?

Keith Marshall
On Monday 13 October 2008 23:51:31 Ian Puleston wrote:
> And apologies for "hijacking the thread". I had no idea that email
> headers included a thread ID.

They don't.  They do include a chain of `in-reply-to' headers, which
any half decent mail client, and any mail archive, uses to trace the
thread history, all the way back to the thread `starter', and so can
collect the messages into a hierarchical list.

Hijacking threads isn't just irritating for those reading their mail
with a thread aware client; it is actually counterproductive for you,
the hijacker.  When you hijack a mail thread, you lose a potential
audience; (good thread aware mail clients also offer the capability
to `kill' threads in which the reader has no interest).  If the
person who is best able to answer your question has killed the thread
you hijacked, he will not see your question, and you lose.

On Monday 13 October 2008 15:32:25 Earnie Boyd wrote:
> > But my impression -- and this may be totally unfounded --
> > is that there are still some people out there who would like to
> > use MinGW to maintain apps that still run on dinosaurs.  Maybe we
> > just say that if you want to do that you stick to the existing
> > stable versions that use the mingwm10.dll method.
>
> FWIW, I have no problem with this stance.

FTR, neither have I.  However, I do seem to recall, (within the past
year anyway), at least one user seeking advice here, who was tied to
Win95, so yeah, there probably are a few dinosaurs still around.

(Come to think of it, I still fire up Win-3.1 on very rare occasions,
to run one old program which doesn't play nicely with wine, and for
which I have yet to find a GNU/Linux hosted alternative.  I guess
that qualifies as a dinosaur, but I never used any Microsoft OS more
recent than Win-3.1, on any box of my own).

Re: Stand alone file utilities?

Quoting Ian Puleston <[hidden email]>:

>> Not that I know of.  I did a google
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=tcsh+windows+-cygwin and found
>> http://www.highend3d.com/downloads/tools/os_utils/89.html you can
>> google too.  I also found ftp://ftp.astron.com/pub/tcsh/old with some
>> bit of trial and error.
>
> Again, I need something that runs in Vista-64 which really means something
> that's actively maintained, and the only working tcsh I've found so far is
> the Cygwin one. But that Astron site has a 2008 dated version for AMD 64 so
> I'll give that a try. Thanks.

If that doesn't work for you, let me know.