Building the MinGW compilers from Source downloaded by mingw-get

Building the MinGW compilers from Source downloaded by mingw-get

David Gressett
I am trying to do my own build of the MinGW compilers so
that I can test patches to solve the problems in
the Ada run time library that are related to changes
in the MinGW runtime which are related to
_USE_32BIT_TIME_T.

I Have found that the command line

mingw-get source mingw32-gcc

doesn't get everything that I need to successfully
build the compilers - I also need the ISL library and
cloog.

The upstream gcc project has a "Prerequisites for
GCC" document which provides  some very brief
instructions for building these, but with Windows
being so different from the Unix/Linux world
where gcc originated, I am suspicious that I might need
a bit more information to get these working correctly.

So, my question is, how to the MinGW developers
configure, build, and install these packages so that
the compiler byilding instructions in the README files
will work correctly?

Re: Building the MinGW compilers from Source downloaded by mingw-get

Earnie Boyd
On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 12:54 PM, David Gressett wrote:
> I am trying to do my own build of the MinGW compilers so
> that I can test patches to solve the problems in
> the Ada run time library that are related to changes
> in the MinGW runtime which are related to
> _USE_32BIT_TIME_T.

Check out https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/mpmkr/ci/master/tree/ where
I up loaded my scripts.

> I Have found that the command line
>
> mingw-get source mingw32-gcc
>
> doesn't get everything that I need to successfully
> build the compilers - I also need the ISL library and
> cloog.

There are a lot of prerequisites but I didn't need cloog.

> The upstream gcc project has a "Prerequisites for
> GCC" document which provides  some very brief
> instructions for building these, but with Windows
> being so different from the Unix/Linux world
> where gcc originated, I am suspicious that I might need
> a bit more information to get these working correctly.

Yes.

> So, my question is, how to the MinGW developers
> configure, build, and install these packages so that
> the compiler byilding instructions in the README files
> will work correctly?

We have yet to tie the prerequisite machinery to the source files and
I don't know if we want to.  Besides the OS libraries gmp, mpfr and
mpc are required and in that order, you will need pthreads-w32 if
libgomp is enabled.