Building libxml2 2.8.0 on WindowsXP fails

Building libxml2 2.8.0 on WindowsXP fails

lollisoft
Hi,

I try to build the current release of libxml2 (2.8.0) on my Windows XP box. I am using the following tools:

bakefile 0.2.9 to create the makefiles,
gcc (GCC) 4.6.2
GNU Make version 3.79.1 when trying make
GNU Make 3.82 when trying mingw32-make

The results are as follows:

make -f makefile.gcc

if not exist mingw mkdir mingw
make: C:WINDOWSsystem32cmd.exe: Command not found
make: [mingw] Error 127 (ignored)
copy ..\include\win32config.h ..\config.h
make: C:WINDOWSsystem32cmd.exe: Command not found
make: *** [..\config.h] Error 127

make --win32 -f makefile.gcc

if not exist mingw mkdir mingw
make: C:WINDOWSsystem32cmd.exe: Command not found
make: [mingw] Error 127 (ignored)
copy ..\include\win32config.h ..\config.h
make: C:WINDOWSsystem32cmd.exe: Command not found
make: *** [..\config.h] Error 127

mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc

if not exist mingw mkdir mingw
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, -c "if not exist mingw mkdir mingw", ...) failed.
make (e=2): Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.
mingw32-make: [mingw] Error 2 (ignored)
copy ..\include\win32config.h ..\config.h
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, copy ..\include\win32config.h ..\config.h, ...) failed.
make (e=2): Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.
mingw32-make: *** [..\config.h] Error 2

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Lothar

-- | Rapid Prototyping | XSLT Codegeneration | http://www.lollisoft.de
Lothar Behrens
Ginsterweg 4
65760 Eschborn

Re: Building libxml2 2.8.0 on WindowsXP fails

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Lothar <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 11:42:18 +0200
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Using the wrong tools?

You need to use the MSYS tools to configure and build libxml2.  If you
have them installed, just run the configure script from the top-level
directory, and then run "make" and "make install".  The "make" you
should be using is the MSYS make.

Alternatively, look in the win32 subdirectory at instructions in
Readme.txt, and follow them to the letter.  (Since the configuration
files in win32 suffer some bitrot, I recommend the MSYS way.)

Or just download the precompiled binaries and use that.

Re: Building libxml2 2.8.0 on WindowsXP fails

Damon Register-2
I know this thread is more than a month old but I am trying to build
libxml2 2.8.0 and I see the answer here seems a bit confusing.

On 6/9/2012 7:35 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Using the wrong tools?
What wrong tools?

> You need to use the MSYS tools to configure and build libxml2.  If you
Are you referring to the older tools that you get if you start a shell with
msys.bat MSYS    (gcc version 3.4.4)
instead of just
msys.bat?        (gcc version 4.6.2)

If the answer to the above is yes, I would really like to know why
do we have to use old tools to get this module to build?

> Alternatively, look in the win32 subdirectory at instructions in
> Readme.txt, and follow them to the letter.  (Since the configuration
> files in win32 suffer some bitrot, I recommend the MSYS way.)
What is bitrot?  How does it apply to the win32 subdirectory?
I tried using this win32 method but had a lot of trouble.  I gave
up in favor of the configure/make method.  Sadly, I found that
this also has trouble.  I am still investigating but it appears that
gcc 4.6.2 is broken.

Damon Register

Re: Building libxml2 2.8.0 on WindowsXP fails

Eli Zaretskii
> Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 09:56:54 -0400
> From: Damon Register <[hidden email]>
>
> I know this thread is more than a month old but I am trying to build
> libxml2 2.8.0 and I see the answer here seems a bit confusing.
>
> On 6/9/2012 7:35 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Using the wrong tools?
> What wrong tools?

bakefile, for starters.

> > You need to use the MSYS tools to configure and build libxml2.  If you
> Are you referring to the older tools that you get if you start a shell with
> msys.bat MSYS    (gcc version 3.4.4)
> instead of just
> msys.bat?        (gcc version 4.6.2)

No, I mean MSYS Bash, MSYS ports of Coreutils, MSYS Make, etc.

> > Alternatively, look in the win32 subdirectory at instructions in
> > Readme.txt, and follow them to the letter.  (Since the configuration
> > files in win32 suffer some bitrot, I recommend the MSYS way.)
> What is bitrot?

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rot, under "Problems with
Software".

> How does it apply to the win32 subdirectory?

Last time I looked, it was not being kept up to date with the main
sources, so it omitted some required files from compilation commands
etc.

> I tried using this win32 method but had a lot of trouble.  I gave
> up in favor of the configure/make method.

That's what I recommend.

> Sadly, I found that this also has trouble.

What kind of trouble?  Please show error messages or any other
manifestations of your trouble.

> I am still investigating but it appears that gcc 4.6.2 is broken.

You can always downgrade to an older version.  (I'm still using 3.4.2,
FWIW.)

Re: Building libxml2 2.8.0 on WindowsXP fails

I have the following recipe for libxml-2.7.8:

Building libxml2 2.7.8

cd /path/to/libxml2/source
mkdir bld
cd bld
../configure --prefix=/mingw --enable-shared --disable-static
--disable-rpath --without-threads --without-python
edit include/libxml/xmlexports.h
Find the #define XMLPUBVAR __declspec(dllexport) for the __mingw32__ case.
Change to #define XMLPUBVAR __declspec(dllexport) extern
I have a bug report open for this for version 2.7.8
Hopefully newer versions will not need to be modified.
make
make install

Some packages don't look for libiconv-2.dll or libxml2-2.dll so we
need to do the following:

cp /mingw/bin/libiconv-2.dll /mingw/bin/iconv.dll
cp /mingw/bin/libxml2-2.dll /mingw/bin/libxml2.dll

Re: Building libxml2 2.8.0 on WindowsXP fails

lrn-2

Re: Building libxml2 2.8.0 on WindowsXP fails

Damon Register-3
On 7/28/2012 1:15 PM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> I have the following recipe for libxml-2.7.8:
Thanks.

> Some packages don't look for libiconv-2.dll or libxml2-2.dll so we
> need to do the following:
>
> cp /mingw/bin/libiconv-2.dll /mingw/bin/iconv.dll
> cp /mingw/bin/libxml2-2.dll /mingw/bin/libxml2.dll
That's good to know.  It will save me the trouble of figuring that one out
later.  Thanks.

Damon Register