Building guile2 under mingw32

Geert Janssens

Hi,

I'm trying to build guile 2.0.11 under mingw32 on Windows, but run into some compile issues. Before I continue to spend my time on this I was wondering if others on this list had done so successfully and if so, how ?

Thanks,

Geert

P.S. I found a thread [1] on guile-user initiated by Eli Zaretskii from June 2013 on this very subject. It mentioned a lot of patches which may or may not have been incorporated since. It was not immediately clear to me whether he managed to successfully build guile 2 on mingw32.

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2013-06/msg00012.html

Re: Building guile2 under mingw32

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>
> Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 22:18:32 +0200
>
> I'm trying to build guile 2.0.11 under mingw32 on Windows

My sympathies.  It's not an easy task.

> but run into some compile issues.

What do you mean by "compile issues", exactly?

> Before I continue to spend my time on this I was wondering if others
> on this list had done so successfully

I did it.

> and if so, how ?

A lot of hard work.

If you don't really need to build it yourself, I suggest to install my
precompiled binaries from here:

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/guile-2.0.11-2-w32-bin.zip/download

If you do need to build it yourself, please tell the details about
your problems, and please begin by applying all the patches I posted
to the guile-devel mailing list since a few months ago.  Note that you
will also need to use a patched libunistring (available from the above
site), because as distributed, libunistring is not very useful on
Windows, and effectively makes most of the i18n features in Guile
fail to work.

> P.S. I found a thread [1] on guile-user initiated by Eli Zaretskii from June
> 2013 on this very subject. It mentioned a lot of patches which may or may not
> have been incorporated since.

Most (but not all) of the patches are already committed to the Guile
repository, but if you build from the official tarball of 2.0.11, you
will not see them, of course.

The above URL also has the sources, which are already patched, if you
happen to need that.

> It was not immediately clear to me whether he managed to
> successfully build guile 2 on mingw32.

My internal knowledge indicates he did ;-)

You will find more information on guile-devel.

On Tuesday 09 September 2014 16:40:49 Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > From: Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>

> > Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 22:18:32 +0200

> > I'm trying to build guile 2.0.11 under mingw32 on Windows

> My sympathies. It's not an easy task.

Thanks for the reply, although not very encouraging :)

> > but run into some compile issues.

> What do you mean by "compile issues", exactly?

I have attempted several builds with varying options for configure and depending on that I got into different issues.

Based on your thread from 2013 I referred to, I added --with-threads=no. With that switch and some other small configuration tweaks I took from our guile 1.8 build script the build runs until some point I get a pop up telling me "The entry point _set_invalid_parameter_handler" is not found in msvcrt.dll".

I can't copy the exact error point right now, because I have been tweaking the build parameters once more and the build is now failing much earlier so I'll have to restart...

> > Before I continue to spend my time on this I was wondering if others

> > on this list had done so successfully

> I did it.

> > and if so, how ?

> A lot of hard work.

> If you don't really need to build it yourself, I suggest to install my

> precompiled binaries from here:

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/guile-2.0.11-2-w32-b

> in.zip/download

> If you do need to build it yourself, please tell the details about

> your problems,

I'm still undecided on whether I "need" to build myself or not.

The background is this: I'm maintaining the windows build of GnuCash. This program depends on guile, currently it builds with guile 1.8. I'm investigating a charset conversion issue when retrieving a string from C via the swig interface.

From a conversation on the guile irc channel a while back I understood that locales and charsets are poorly supported in anything before 2.0. So I concluded that it would perhaps be a better idea to switch to 2.0 first and see if the issue still exists there.

But clearly that turns out to be a rough ride.

As to using your prebuilt binaries, that may be an option although I prefer our build script to be able to build guile as well. GnuCash is a public open source project and we should be able to provide a reproducible build.

On the other hand if I can fix the charset conversion issue on guile 1.8 I don't need to move to 2.0 yet and can wait for your patches to get integrated in the various upstream projects.

> and please begin by applying all the patches I posted

> to the guile-devel mailing list since a few months ago. Note that you

> will also need to use a patched libunistring (available from the

> above site), because as distributed, libunistring is not very useful

> on Windows, and effectively makes most of the i18n features in Guile

> fail to work.

Hmm, my original problem is exactly in the i18n area. I wonder if flawed libunistring library is what breaks the charset conversion on guile 1.8 as well.

I'll check your work on the link you provided first and see if it helps me get passed my bug in one way or the other.

Thanks for the information.

Geert

Re: Building guile2 under mingw32

Keith Marshall
On 09/09/14 15:20, Geert Janssens wrote:
> I get a pop up telling me "The entry point _set_invalid_parameter_handler" is not
> found in msvcrt.dll".

So, in spite of repeated advice to the contrary, you are still
persisting with the utterly defective 4.0 series releases of mingwrt and
w32api?  Don't!  Roll back to mingwrt-3.20 and w32api-3.17, before you
waste any more time.  That surely will not resolve all of your guile2
issues, but it will eliminate one guaranteed trouble source.

Re: Building guile2 under mingw32

> From: Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>
> Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 16:20:03 +0200
>
> Based on your thread from 2013 I referred to, I added --with-threads=no. With
> that switch and some other small configuration tweaks I took from our guile 1.8
> build script the build runs until some point I get a pop up telling me "The
> entry point _set_invalid_parameter_handler" is not found in msvcrt.dll".

Keith gave you good advice; I suggest to follow it.

> As to using your prebuilt binaries, that may be an option although I prefer our
> build script to be able to build guile as well.

I wouldn't hold my breath until Guile developers release a version
with all the patches I submitted.  There are just too many
Windows-specific problems in the bare-bones 2.0.11 release.

Please understand: Guile is built almost solely on GNU/Linux, so it
has many portability issues to other platforms, and Windows is the
worst of them.

> GnuCash is a public open source project and we should be able to
> provide a reproducible build.

Are you saying that you build _everything_ from sources, including
libunistring, libffi, libltdl, libiconv, etc.?  That's a lot of effort
for producing packages that are already there.  Moreover, the DLLs you
will produce for these packages will most probably conflict with DLLs
by the same names that people already have, making installation
harder.

All you are obliged to do is offer sources for these libraries, so
just have their source tarballs at the same place.  You don't have to
actually build them.

> On the other hand if I can fix the charset conversion issue on guile 1.8 I
> don't need to move to 2.0 yet and can wait for your patches to get integrated
> in the various upstream projects.

Can't help you here, never tried to build anything before 2.0.3.  But
I hear that Guile 1.8 is so old and feature-challenged that many
packages that use Guile already drop its support.  So I think sticking
with 1.8 is not a good idea for you.

> Hmm, my original problem is exactly in the i18n area. I wonder if flawed
> libunistring library is what breaks the charset conversion on guile 1.8 as
> well.

I don't know.

Re: Building guile2 under mingw32

David Gressett
>On 09/09/14 15:20, Geert Janssens wrote:
>> I get a pop up telling me "The entry point _set_invalid_parameter_handler" is not
>> found in msvcrt.dll".

>So, in spite of repeated advice to the contrary, you are still
>persisting with the utterly defective 4.0 series releases of mingwrt and
>w32api? Don't! Roll back to mingwrt-3.20 and w32api-3.17, before you
>waste any more time. That surely will not resolve all of your guile2
>issues, but it will eliminate one guaranteed trouble source.

I am in complete agreement with Keith. I have been working on
building the gcc 4.8.3 and 4.9.1 compilers and have found that the
4.0 mingwrt and w32api  are absolutely poisonous. They have many
structural problems that will be triggered by any nontrivial project like
guile or gcc. You must get rid of them.

--
David

On Tuesday 09 September 2014 18:17:06 Keith Marshall wrote:

> On 09/09/14 15:20, Geert Janssens wrote:

> > I get a pop up telling me "The entry point

> > _set_invalid_parameter_handler" is not found in msvcrt.dll".

> So, in spite of repeated advice to the contrary, you are still

> persisting with the utterly defective 4.0 series releases of mingwrt

> and w32api? Don't! Roll back to mingwrt-3.20 and w32api-3.17,

> before you waste any more time. That surely will not resolve all of

> your guile2 issues, but it will eliminate one guaranteed trouble

> source.

Will do.

For the record I don't follow this list actively so I clearly missed your repeated advice. Maintaining the Windows build of GnuCash is not my favourite part. And the current choice of the 4.0 series happened to work fine until I tried to build guile 2.

I'll roll back to the suggested versions and carry on.

Thanks,

Geert

On Tuesday 09 September 2014 20:55:33 Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > From: Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>

> > Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 16:20:03 +0200

> > Based on your thread from 2013 I referred to, I added

> > --with-threads=no. With that switch and some other small

> > configuration tweaks I took from our guile 1.8 build script the

> > build runs until some point I get a pop up telling me "The entry

> > point _set_invalid_parameter_handler" is not found in msvcrt.dll".

> Keith gave you good advice; I suggest to follow it.

Advice taken. That's some bugs less to worry about.

> > As to using your prebuilt binaries, that may be an option although I

> > prefer our build script to be able to build guile as well.

> I wouldn't hold my breath until Guile developers release a version

> with all the patches I submitted. There are just too many

> Windows-specific problems in the bare-bones 2.0.11 release.

> Please understand: Guile is built almost solely on GNU/Linux, so it

> has many portability issues to other platforms, and Windows is the

> worst of them.

I know what you mean. GnuCash is in a similar situation...

> > GnuCash is a public open source project and we should be able to

> > provide a reproducible build.

> Are you saying that you build _everything_ from sources, including

> libunistring, libffi, libltdl, libiconv, etc.? That's a lot of effort

> for producing packages that are already there. Moreover, the DLLs

> you will produce for these packages will most probably conflict with

> DLLs by the same names that people already have, making installation

> harder.

No, we don't build _everything_. My statement was overarching and mostly expressing the theoretical ideal. Our OS X offering on the other hand _does_ build every package from scratch so there is the sentiment it's worth the effort in parts of the GnuCash community.

What we can install via mingw-get we will install that way. Guile is not available via that route. I couldn't find libffi either in the mingw-get repository so I did rebuild that one yes.

We do create a Windows installer for GnuCash that will install the application and _all_ of its dependencies. So far we have encountered only one case of DLL conflicts and that was with MusicProse which erroneously added its bin directory to the system path.

> All you are obliged to do is offer sources for these libraries, so

> just have their source tarballs at the same place. You don't have to

> actually build them.

I agree that's probably the more practical choice.

> > On the other hand if I can fix the charset conversion issue on guile

> > 1.8 I don't need to move to 2.0 yet and can wait for your patches

> > to get integrated in the various upstream projects.

> Can't help you here, never tried to build anything before 2.0.3. But

> I hear that Guile 1.8 is so old and feature-challenged that many

> packages that use Guile already drop its support. So I think sticking

> with 1.8 is not a good idea for you.

We don't depend on "other packages that use guile". We only use it internally. And guile 1.8 works well barring some minor issues. So GnuCash can afford to wait a fair amount of time, provided a Windows compatible guile baseline release is something that will eventually happen.

Anyway my way forward should be to determine for sure whether the charset conversion problem is really a guile 1.8 problem or in the code linking our guile and c environment (swig wrappers). If it really turns out to be guile, I'll have no other choice than to continue on the guile 2 road.

Regardless, I'll probably try your patched binaries anyway at some point simply out of interest.

Thanks for your hard work.

Geert

Re: Building guile2 under mingw32

Geert Janssens

On Tuesday 09 September 2014 16:40:49 Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> If you do need to build it yourself, please tell the details about

> your problems, and please begin by applying all the patches I posted

> to the guile-devel mailing list since a few months ago. Note that you

> will also need to use a patched libunistring (available from the

> above site), because as distributed, libunistring is not very useful

> on Windows, and effectively makes most of the i18n features in Guile

> fail to work.

Coming back to the libunistring patches - I got libunistring via mingw-get. Will the patches be applied at some point to the mingw-get package or will the package only get the patches if upstream applies them ?

Geert

Re: Building guile2 under mingw32

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>
> Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 00:00:09 +0200
>
> Coming back to the libunistring patches - I got libunistring via mingw-get.
> Will the patches be applied at some point to the mingw-get package or will the
> package only get the patches if upstream applies them ?

_If_ the upstream applies, probably.  And that's a big "if", since
libunistring seems to be unmaintained.

OTOH, libunistring is nothing more than a selection of modules from
gnulib, and my patches were accepted into gnulib.  So you could import
those modules from gnulib and build them yourself.

Alternatively, you could use the patched binaries and/or sources from
the same place where I uploaded my build of Guile.

Re: Building guile2 under mingw32

Geert Janssens
On Tuesday 09 September 2014 16:40:49 Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > From: Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>
> > Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 22:18:32 +0200
> >
> > I'm trying to build guile 2.0.11 under mingw32 on Windows
>
> My sympathies.  It's not an easy task.
>
> > but run into some compile issues.
>
> What do you mean by "compile issues", exactly?
>
> > Before I continue to spend my time on this I was wondering if others
> > on this list had done so successfully
>
> I did it.
>
> > and if so, how ?
>
> A lot of hard work.
>
> If you don't really need to build it yourself, I suggest to install my
> precompiled binaries from here:
>

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/guile-2.0.11-2-w32-b
> in.zip/download

Eli,

I'm currently looking at using your precompiled binaries for the GnuCash
project.

I have downloaded them from the link above and have extracted them into
a temporary directory (c:\gcdev\downloads\guile).
Next I open a command prompt (not msys), cd into the guile bin directory
and then run the guile command.

This errors out with the message:
Throw without catch before boot:
Throw to key-misc with args: ("primitive-load-path" "Unable to find file
~S in load path" ("ice-9/boot-9") #f)Aborting.

Followed by the standard MS error mantra (request to terminate in an
unusual way...).

And I get the same error when running guile from an msys shell.

In msys I have also tried this:
export GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0
GUILE_LOAD_PATH=<path-to-guile>/share/guile/2.0/ <path-to-
guile>/bin/guile

The first line is to evade lots of errors due to autocompilation. The
second preseeds the load path with the typical location of the guile
modules and the runs guile.

This gives no error, but the console hangs until I hit ctrl-C.

Any idea what I am missing ?

This is on Windows XP by the way.

Thanks,

Geert

Re: Building guile2 under mingw32

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>
> Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 22:04:31 +0200
>
> I have downloaded them from the link above and have extracted them into
> a temporary directory (c:\gcdev\downloads\guile).
> Next I open a command prompt (not msys), cd into the guile bin directory
> and then run the guile command.
>
> This errors out with the message:
> Throw without catch before boot:
> Throw to key-misc with args: ("primitive-load-path" "Unable to find file
> ~S in load path" ("ice-9/boot-9") #f)Aborting.
>
> Followed by the standard MS error mantra (request to terminate in an
> unusual way...).

Did you see this part of the README on the download site:

  If you install this anywhere but d:/usr, you will need to set 2
  environment variables:

    set GUILE_LOAD_PATH=x:\foo\share\guile\2.0
    set GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH=x:\foo\lib\guile\2.0\ccache

  where "x:\foo" is the directory from which you unzipped the Guile
  binary zip file.

Did you do this?

Note that if you do this from MSYS (not recommended), you need to use
the MSYS /x/foo/lib format.

> In msys I have also tried this:
> export GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0
> GUILE_LOAD_PATH=<path-to-guile>/share/guile/2.0/ <path-to-
> guile>/bin/guile
>
> The first line is to evade lots of errors due to autocompilation.

These are not errors, these are messages about autocompilation.  Guile
auto-compiles because you didn't set GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH to point
to the place where the compiled files are already available, see the
instructions above.

> The second preseeds the load path with the typical location of the
> guile modules and the runs guile.
>
> This gives no error, but the console hangs until I hit ctrl-C.

Running in MSYS requires you to type ", help" line once to get the
prompt.  I have no idea why, I guess it's because the MSYS console
doesn't look like a console to a natively-compiled Guile.  That's why
I don't recommend running Guile from MSYS, unless you really have to
(which should only be required for complicated shell scripts).

On Wednesday 24 September 2014 09:42:35 Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > From: Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>
> > Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 22:04:31 +0200
> >
> > I have downloaded them from the link above and have extracted them
> > into a temporary directory (c:\gcdev\downloads\guile).
> > Next I open a command prompt (not msys), cd into the guile bin
> > directory and then run the guile command.
> >
> > This errors out with the message:
> > Throw without catch before boot:
> > Throw to key-misc with args: ("primitive-load-path" "Unable to find
> > file ~S in load path" ("ice-9/boot-9") #f)Aborting.
> >
> > Followed by the standard MS error mantra (request to terminate in an
> > unusual way...).
>
> Did you see this part of the README on the download site:

Oops, I neglected to read this file :(

>   If you install this anywhere but d:/usr, you will need to set 2
>   environment variables:
>
>     set GUILE_LOAD_PATH=x:\foo\share\guile\2.0
>     set GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH=x:\foo\lib\guile\2.0\ccache
>
>   where "x:\foo" is the directory from which you unzipped the Guile
>   binary zip file.
>
> Did you do this?

I had only set one of the two. With both set I get a lot further:

The gnucash build script now properly detects a working guile. The
script is currently running the build. Let's see if I can get to a
workable gnucash/guile 2...

> Note that if you do this from MSYS (not recommended), you need to use
> the MSYS /x/foo/lib format.
>
> > In msys I have also tried this:
> > export GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0
> > GUILE_LOAD_PATH=<path-to-guile>/share/guile/2.0/ <path-to-
> > guile>/bin/guile
> >
> > The first line is to evade lots of errors due to autocompilation.
>
> These are not errors, these are messages about autocompilation.  Guile
> auto-compiles because you didn't set GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH to
> point to the place where the compiled files are already available,
> see the instructions above.

I'm familiar with guile's autocompilation behaviour although I did not
know about the second environment parameter.

I recognized the typical warnings. These were intermixed with errors
about several files not being in scm format (in ice-9/boot-9 iirc). I
took them for errors so I aborted the guile startup. Maybe I was drawing
my conclusions too soon. It doesn't really matter anymore.

Thank you very much for your work !

Geert