Basic questions about mingwPorts

John Emmas
About a year ago I was toying with the idea of porting some gcc code to
Windows and I looked at MinGW and Cygwin as the two alternatives.  I ended
up going for Cygwin because both it (and cygwin-ports) tended to offer
3 x "flavours" for library packages, namely;  1) pre-built binaries
2) "dev" packages (pre-built binaries + header files)  and 3) full source
code.  The impression I got from the minGW site was that only option 3 was
available.  Ultimately I figured it would be too time consuming to build
everything from source.  Now I'm wondering:-

a)  Is that still true (still no pre-built binares or "dev" packages)?
b)  Is there a list anywhere of what's available in mingwPORTS?
c)  Is this the proper list for mingwPORTS or does it have its own mailing
list?

Thanks,

John

Re: Basic questions about mingwPorts

Earnie Boyd
Quoting John Emmas <[hidden email]>:

> About a year ago I was toying with the idea of porting some gcc code to
> Windows and I looked at MinGW and Cygwin as the two alternatives.  I ended
> up going for Cygwin because both it (and cygwin-ports) tended to offer
> 3 x "flavours" for library packages, namely;  1) pre-built binaries
> 2) "dev" packages (pre-built binaries + header files)  and 3) full source
> code.  The impression I got from the minGW site was that only option 3 was
> available.  Ultimately I figured it would be too time consuming to build
> everything from source.  Now I'm wondering:-

You were obviously mistaken.  We offer pre-built binaries of many
packages and including libraries with headers and archived object
libraries.  Of course the source files are also available.

> a)  Is that still true (still no pre-built binares or "dev" packages)?

This was never true.

"https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/mingwPORT/Current Releases"

> c)  Is this the proper list for mingwPORTS or does it have its own mailing
> list?

Yes this is the correct list.  You may also be interested in the
portmaker code in CVS.  AFAIK, there has not been a release of
portmaker.  The purpose for mingwPORT was to allow the user to build
binaries that match his equipment specifications so that they can
execute as optimally as possible.  There are no pre-built packages
that match mingwPORT packages except for the few that are required to
make mingwPORT itself work such as wget.

Re: Basic questions about mingwPorts

John Emmas

Re: Basic questions about mingwPorts

Earnie Boyd
Quoting John Emmas <[hidden email]>:

The "trial & error" final results are included in the patch files for
mingwPORT.  The final user of the port should only have good results
when the port builds on the users computer.  The interactive portion
are answers to questions needed by the scripts to properly do what you
desire.  E.G. Where do you want to install the product?