Automated MinGW installer outdated?

Robert Riebisch
Hi!

I'm slightly confused by the various versions of MinGW binaries.
According to the home page and SF.net we already have "w32api-3.12" and
"mingwrt-3.15.1".
"mingw.ini" downloaded by MinGW-5.1.4.exe still shows "w32api-3.11" and
"mingw-runtime-3.14".
So which version should I use for daily development?

Robert Riebisch
--
BTTR Software
http://www.bttr-software.de/

Re: Automated MinGW installer outdated?

Earnie Boyd

Quoting Robert Riebisch <[hidden email]>:

> Hi!
>
> I'm slightly confused by the various versions of MinGW binaries.
> According to the home page and SF.net we already have "w32api-3.12" and
> "mingwrt-3.15.1".
> "mingw.ini" downloaded by MinGW-5.1.4.exe still shows "w32api-3.11" and
> "mingw-runtime-3.14".
> So which version should I use for daily development?

I hope to be able to install a new version of the mingw.ini file today
on the website.  It's been a struggle with SF shutting down the shell
service getting things working again.  Now I have to use an external
service to push the file.  However, the answer to your question is that
w32api-3.12 and mingwrt-3.15.1 are the current versions.

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> I hope to be able to install a new version of the mingw.ini file today
> on the website.  It's been a struggle with SF shutting down the shell
> service getting things working again.  Now I have to use an external
> service to push the file.  However, the answer to your question is that
> w32api-3.12 and mingwrt-3.15.1 are the current versions.

Thanks! :-)

Robert Riebisch

Quoting Earnie Boyd <[hidden email]>:

> Quoting Robert Riebisch <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm slightly confused by the various versions of MinGW binaries.
>> According to the home page and SF.net we already have "w32api-3.12" and
>> "mingwrt-3.15.1".
>> "mingw.ini" downloaded by MinGW-5.1.4.exe still shows "w32api-3.11" and
>> "mingw-runtime-3.14".
>> So which version should I use for daily development?
>>

> I hope to be able to install a new version of the mingw.ini file today
> on the website.  It's been a struggle with SF shutting down the shell
> service getting things working again.  Now I have to use an external
> service to push the file.  However, the answer to your question is that
> w32api-3.12 and mingwrt-3.15.1 are the current versions.

Grrr...   I updated the mingw.ini file but I'm not able to test it, the
installer doesn't like my IE proxy settings and I can't change them.  I
also can't connect to the SF web server from my VPS so I have to chase
down that issue now.

Re: Automated MinGW installer outdated?

Vincent Torri

Hey,

> Grrr...   I updated the mingw.ini file but I'm not able to test it, the
> installer doesn't like my IE proxy settings and I can't change them.  I
> also can't connect to the SF web server from my VPS so I have to chase
> down that issue now.

As you mention it, how can I use the installer if I'm behind a proxy ? If
it is possible, that can of information should also be in the wiki

thank you

Vincent Torri

On Wednesday 29 October 2008 11:14:38 Earnie Boyd wrote:
> I hope to be able to install a new version of the mingw.ini file
> today on the website.  It's been a struggle with SF shutting down
> the shell service getting things working again.

Would there be any mileage in modifying the installer, so that it
pulls the file from CVS, via the ViewVC web interface?  That way, SF
would provide the web update service automatically, when any new
version is committed:

$ wget -O mingw.ini \
http://mingw.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/mingw/MinGW/inifiles/mingw.ini?pathrev=MinGW-5_1_4
Warning: wildcards not supported in HTTP.
--23:03:29--
http://mingw.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/mingw/MinGW/inifiles/mingw.ini?pathrev=MinGW-5_1_4
           => `mingw.ini'
Resolving mingw.cvs.sourceforge.net... 216.34.181.108
Connecting to mingw.cvs.sourceforge.net|216.34.181.108|:80...
connected.
Length: unspecified [text/plain]

    [ <=>                      ] 1,333         --.--K/s

23:03:29 (137.88 MB/s) - `mingw.ini' saved [1333]

Of course, this would not relieve the package maintainers of a duty to
update the CVS copy, when a new package release becomes available.

Regards,
Keith

Re: Automated MinGW installer outdated?

Brian Dessent
Keith Marshall wrote:

> Would there be any mileage in modifying the installer, so that it
> pulls the file from CVS, via the ViewVC web interface?  That way, SF
> would provide the web update service automatically, when any new
> version is committed:

Alternatively you could just edit/create a .htaccess entry that uses
mod_rewrite to redirect the current mingw.ini URL to the viewvc checkout
URL, without requiring any changes to the installer.  (Assuming that
sf.net allows mod_rewrite from .htaccess.)

Brian

Quoting Brian Dessent <[hidden email]>:

> Keith Marshall wrote:
>
>> Would there be any mileage in modifying the installer, so that it
>> pulls the file from CVS, via the ViewVC web interface?  That way, SF
>> would provide the web update service automatically, when any new
>> version is committed:
>
> Alternatively you could just edit/create a .htaccess entry that uses
> mod_rewrite to redirect the current mingw.ini URL to the viewvc checkout
> URL, without requiring any changes to the installer.  (Assuming that
> sf.net allows mod_rewrite from .htaccess.)

That should be doable.  Are you willing to craft the commands?  I'll
get them in the .htaccess file.

Quoting Vincent Torri <[hidden email]>:

> Hey,
>
>> Grrr...   I updated the mingw.ini file but I'm not able to test it, the
>> installer doesn't like my IE proxy settings and I can't change them.  I
>> also can't connect to the SF web server from my VPS so I have to chase
>> down that issue now.
>
> As you mention it, how can I use the installer if I'm behind a proxy ? If
> it is possible, that can of information should also be in the wiki

I'm going to think it is a bug in the installer.  IE itself will grab
http://www.mingw.org/mingw.ini; then why can't the installer?

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> That should be doable.  Are you willing to craft the commands?  I'll
> get them in the .htaccess file.

Try the following as a starting point:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^/mingw\.ini$ http://mingw.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/mingw/MinGW/inifiles/mingw.ini?pathrev=MinGW-5_1 [R]

There are two potential problems with this approach:

1. The installer might not have the intelligence to follow a HTTP 30x
redirect.  With mod_rewrite you can avoid this with an internal redirect
but only when both resources are on the same server, which is not the
case with www.mingw.org vs. mingw.cvs.sourceforge.net.

2. There is a possibility that SF would not appreciate the increased
load of every installer run hitting the dynamic ViewVC script -- I seem
to recall their CVS servers are often overloaded.  In that case I think
it would make more sense to install a cronjob that runs daily or hourly
(or a checkin-hook) which updates the static copy at mingw.org/mingw.ini
from the one in CVS.  That would achieve the same goal of not requiring
manual care to update the file every time it changes but without the
extra load of serving it dynamically for every hit.

Brian

Re: Automated MinGW installer outdated?

Earnie Boyd

Quoting Brian Dessent <[hidden email]>:

> Earnie Boyd wrote:
>
>> That should be doable.  Are you willing to craft the commands?  I'll
>> get them in the .htaccess file.
>
> Try the following as a starting point:
>
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteRule ^/mingw\.ini$
> http://mingw.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/mingw/MinGW/inifiles/mingw.ini?pathrev=MinGW-5_1
> [R]

Because of other rewrite rules for Drupal Clean URL it doesn't function
well.  Besides, I don't think the web server will allow connecting to
the cvs server (see below).

> There are two potential problems with this approach:
>
> 1. The installer might not have the intelligence to follow a HTTP 30x
> redirect.  With mod_rewrite you can avoid this with an internal redirect
> but only when both resources are on the same server, which is not the
> case with www.mingw.org vs. mingw.cvs.sourceforge.net.

The change may need to happen in the installer.  I wrote a script using
a passthru command of wget -O- -q and while ``php mingw.ini'' returned
the data I just get a timeout when executing the php from the browser.

> 2. There is a possibility that SF would not appreciate the increased
> load of every installer run hitting the dynamic ViewVC script -- I seem
> to recall their CVS servers are often overloaded.  In that case I think
> it would make more sense to install a cronjob that runs daily or hourly
> (or a checkin-hook) which updates the static copy at mingw.org/mingw.ini
> from the one in CVS.  That would achieve the same goal of not requiring
> manual care to update the file every time it changes but without the
> extra load of serving it dynamically for every hit.

Now that we have a virtual shell service I think I can push it from
another server.  At least until SF gives us a cron process.

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> well.  Besides, I don't think the web server will allow connecting to
> the cvs server (see below).

With this method the web server doesn't connect to anything, it just
returns a HTTP 30x response to the client redirecting it to a new
location, and it's the client's responsibility to reinitiate the
transfer at the specified URL.  But anyway it sounds like this approach
isn't workable for other reasons.

Brian